Which continent has the most blood on its hands?

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which continent has the most blood on its hands? (63 votes)

North America 14%
South America 2%
Europe 22%
Asia 49%
Africa 11%
Australia 2%
No Caption Provided

• 
mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you mean?

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c60ecae36801
deactivated-5c60ecae36801

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EU has the most.

Followed by Asain

then NA.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's gotta be Asia. They've had so many people over the course of human history that I can't see how they wouldn't have had the most deaths.

InvadedTBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably Asia, Europe then North America

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My first instinct is Europe....between the World Wars, the Holocaust, Stalin's Great Purge and Russia's WWII casualties, colonization of both Americas etc. Then again, Asia probably comes close with the sheer amount of wars in China alone. The Three Kingdoms, Sino-Japanese War, Mongols, and I'm pretty sure Mao Zedong alone is responsible for millions of deaths e.g. the Cultural Revolution.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asia, Europe then North America

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asia, then Europe

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stalin and Mao alone are probably responsible for 50 million deaths, and that's just in the last century. Asia takes this one followed by Europe, Africa (it's the oldest human-occupied continent) and then North America.

Toratorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Asia sounds like a most likely answer. Just purges by Mao and Stalin resulted in enormous body count, and that's not even counting all the constant wars that happened there throughout the history.

Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asia, definitely Asia. Mao Zedong and Joseph Stalin's reigns of terror alone caused an enormously high number of deaths in the many tens of millions in the last century. Add to the fact that Genghis Khan and his sons lead a long and brutal genocidal campaign via the Mongol Empire expansion in the 1200s and also the Japanese Imperial Empire's bloody territorial expansion during WW2 and you got one helluva body count that is impossible to truly fathom.

Edit: almost forgot Pol Pot and his genocide of 1/4 of Cambodia's population as well as the First Indochina War and Vietnam War.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14 JediXMan  Moderator

Asia.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Mutant1230

@mrmonster said:

It's gotta be Asia. They've had so many people over the course of human history that I can't see how they wouldn't have had the most deaths.

What if you scaled it to populations?

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asia by far. Africa is being underestimated though.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asia, but part of me also suspects Africa because it is the oldest and humanity's prehistory period was extremely, extremely long.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster said:

How dare you use scaling in a CV debate.

Avatar image for theoneabovelife
TheOneAboveLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

My first instinct is Europe....between the World Wars, the Holocaust, Stalin's Great Purge and Russia's WWII casualties, colonization of both Americas etc. Then again, Asia probably comes close with the sheer amount of wars in China alone. The Three Kingdoms, Sino-Japanese War, Mongols, and I'm pretty sure Mao Zedong alone is responsible for millions of deaths e.g. the Cultural Revolution.

MartyTannen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MartyTannen85

Asia was probably much more brutal than Europe in the past

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster said:

Even then, Asia is still my first bet. Just look at all the historically very violent nations and areas; China, Japan, India, Vietnam, and the entire Middle East. Even when you scale it to population, I have a hardtime viewing any other continent as equally violent throughout history.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24 Lunacyde  Moderator

Its gotta be Asia, though I'd guess Europe is a close second. Who gets Stalin? There's an argument for attributing him to both Asia and Europe.

Avatar image for deactivated-61215780523f9
deactivated-61215780523f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Impossible to determine.

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't genghis Khan alone wipe out tens of millions, almost entire nations, and something like 10-15% of the entire world population at one point? Yikes. Then add in Mao Zedong, Stalin (I think that counts as Asia, or does it?), Pol Pot, Khemer Rouge, and more... Then just the three kingdoms wars in china (that was like WW1 level death numbers - but more than a thousand+ years ago), and more...

It has to be Asia by a huge margin. Even with the genocides that happened from time to time in other parts of the world, none of them really match the scope of what was seen in Asia... Not once... Not twice... Not three times, and often.

The only thing comparable is the bringing of disease to the Americas, that wiped out 90% of the pre-columbus population; but I would hardly blame that on the europeans, the first accidental contact would have done it from anywhere. And just to prove the one point about it not just being germ warfare as some want to pretend it was - the smallpox epidemic got so bad in the Incan empire 90% of the population died, one emperor died - and an entire civil war was fought on it due to some of those struggles, and THAT WAS WHEN THE FIRST CONQUISTADORS SHOWED UP, on a broken Incan empire, making it easy for them. But by that point, there was maybe one or two Incans where there would have been 10 just 40 years prior. That was because just disease from the aztecs that was brought over, spreading naturally and lethally like a worse black death south. There was a couple of north eastern US tribes that were wiped out by diseases before a single european stepped on their land to meet them.

For these reasons, I can't really put the blame on the europeans here. Hell, the idea of bacteria and germs was a lost concept on them - and largely, they even thought it was god smiting them down. If Asia discovers it first, they still get all the plagues, 90% continental population redux, but it is just from a different port of entry.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

its gotta be Asia... Europe and Africa fight for 2nd place and then NA comes in 4th

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lunacyde  Moderator

Does the colonization of North America count toward Europe or North America? Slave trade?

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Antarctica.

Avatar image for the_thereminist
The_Thereminist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mars! Why do you think it was named after the god of war?

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

Its gotta be Asia, though I'd guess Europe is a close second. Who gets Stalin? There's an argument for attributing him to both Asia and Europe.

I wouldn't say Europe is a close second, especially because the Black Plague was attributable to the Mongol Empire who intentionally spread it in numerous cases for warfare reasons, or accidentally though trade routes. Stalin can be shared 50/50. Asia has Mao who was worse, as well as some pretty freaky dictators in history.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

Does the colonization of North America count toward Europe or North America? Slave trade?

Europe

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

@decaf_wizard said:
@lunacyde said:

I wouldn't say Europe is a close second, especially because the Black Plague was attributable to the Mongol Empire who intentionally spread it in numerous cases for warfare reasons, or accidentally though trade routes. Stalin can be shared 50/50. Asia has Mao who was worse, as well as some pretty freaky dictators in history.

I don't doubt Asia vastly outstrips the other continents. I think my language was a bit imprecise. By close second I meant in relation to the other continents. I would say Europe is closer to Asia than it is to Australia or the Americas.

I wasn't counting disease, I mean we can attribute 80-90% population loss in the Americas to European disease transmission. Although accounts of native American populations vary widely from 2 million to 18 million in North America alone, we can safely say that tens of millions died across both American continents and the Caribbean. It's widely agreed that South and Central American populations were larger at the time.

For Europe we can look at:

• Stalin 10-60 million (also can be attributed to Asia)
  • Hitler 13-20 million
  • King Leopold 10 million
  • European Colonization of the Americas 9-100 million. (Mostly attributable to disease)
  • Late Victorian Holocausts 30-60 million
  • World War I and half of World War II 38-80 million
  • Reconquista 7 million
  • Thirty Years War 3-11.5 million
  • Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade 1-2 million (dying just during transport)
  • And so on... dozens of smaller conflicts.

In conclusion Asia is far and away the largest (Mongol conquest, Three Kingdoms War, Crimes of Mao, Manchu conquest of China, Taiping Rebellion, Japanese War Crimes, Pol Pot, etc). Asian populations and the subsequent death tolls fro their conflicts have just been largely on a different scale.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c97780a71ae4
deactivated-5c97780a71ae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya know honestly I'm leaning towards Europe just from the seer amount warfare cultures that existed throughout Roman to Medieval times and then you include the World Wars and the body count would just be ridiculous imo

sabracadabra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asia. Huns, Mongols, Mao, Pol Pot.

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

EU, followed by Asia, followed by NA

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Asia

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Europe had some insane bloodshed feats during the world wars.

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ourmanuel said:

Europe had some insane bloodshed feats during the world wars.

So does Asia. Look at the bloodbath between China and Japan, battles of shanghai, massacres, etc and this is without the whole US/Allies vs Japan side. And without things like Russia here, which is part europe/asia.

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Either Europe or Asia.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asia eclipses Europe in terms of death tolls. Mongol conquests, War of the three Kingdoms, An Lushan Rebellion, Mao Zedongs reign etc.

SevenDeadlyGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asia by a landslide. Japanese and Chinese still hate each other for the most part.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

The answer is North America. Ya'll are hyping up these numbers for Mao smh