When do you give up on being a comic book artist/writer?

gecko200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gecko200

Never! never give up the fight, fight on until the battle is won if you can dream it you can do it. Never give up

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By FalconPuuunch

Just decided today to give up on Thunderbolts :/

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By turoksonofstone

N-E-V-E-R.

CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By CptPanda29

I stopped reading Cap cause it was the first time I was buying it on release and it seemed so far fetched from the Bucky stuff I got in collections. I'll try again later but for now it's not for me.

As for why I stopped Spidey, yeah I was pissy that Pete was "gone", but again I've just started reading comics on release as my income has caught up I would like to read a god damn Spider-Man story - and after having maybe an hour conversation with friends on how there's so many Spider-Man comics that if a kid says to their mother "I want a Spider-man comic", which one do they buy?

ASM right? Well that's gone, so it's Superior. But why is Doc Ock controlling Spider-Man? Maybe Ultimate - who's Miles Morales? Plus it's nothing like the Ultimate on the TV, maybe get the Ultimate Spider-man that's a comic based on the tv show that's based on a comic. Avenging has the same issue with Superior, but it'd do a good enough job introducing the extended universe. But again - it's barely a Spider-Man story as it always focuses on how Spidey interacts differently with the team-up of the week. Then there's an almost Batman level of tie-ins.

So you could say it's a vote with your dollar, but I know I rage quit the series. As I get over it I'll almost certainly get it in a collection.

Overall, I'll bear with a series but if I find it dumb or jarring or just not what I expected / wanted I'll stop buying.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KnightRise

being

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

I gave up on WatXM when I realized it was total garbage. And this was before all the crappy new students were introduced.

Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rogan2112

When you can't hold a pencil/pen...your hands have cramped too much to type, or are unable to see the computer screen or art board. Or...til you lose interest. Me...I'm part of the first group.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By spinningbirdcake

@KnightRise said:

being

Dammit why are people so stupid. He's asking when you give up BEING a comic book writer/artist, not a reader of a writer/artist. I'm surprised these people can even write responses considering they clearly can't read.

And you (OP) gave the correct answer. Plenty of now famous writers were never successful in their lifetime. Write and put it out there. Remember: Success is stochastic (up to chance) and so not in your control, but that shouldn't be why you create anyway.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By MrDirector786

@gecko200: Do you mean when they should give up writing or drawing for a certain series, or stop writing or drawing for comics altogether? Either way, I don't think there's any specific answer. Some writers are with series for maybe 2 or 3 years while others can stay 10 years and some may even come back to writing a series again eventually. From what I've seen, artists seem to change for series more often than writers.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Whoops I derped up, never had the dream of being on really V-V

But if you got it, don't give up

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By InnerVenom123

I was about to let hell loose on this thread but you answered correctly, OP.

Good job.

Here's a cookie.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By PowerHerc

Don't give up, just make sure you can get by until you make it in the comicbook field.