What's your favorite folklore mythical creature from your home country?

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

What's your favorite folklore mythical creature from your home country?

No Caption Provided

From my home country, the Philippines, I've found myself interested in the Manananggal. It's basically a vampire that splits itself in half and grows wings at night to prey on pregnant women's fetuses and sleeping people.

Anna_Karenina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Iara – The Mother of Waters. She's basically a freshwater mermaid-like creature who lures men and children using her beauty and/or her singing and kill them by drowning. Nothing really extraordinary. I just happen to like mermaids. :P

No Caption Provided

Discipulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

A piece of local folklore from my part of the UK:

The Gytrash

No Caption Provided

From Wikipedia: "The Gytrash, a legendary black dog known in northern England, was said to haunt lonely roads awaiting travelers. Appearing in the shape of horses, mules, or dogs, the Gytrash haunt solitary ways and lead people astray but they can also be benevolent, guiding lost travelers to the right road. They are usually feared. In some parts of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, the Gytrash was known as the Shagfoal and took the form of a spectral mule or donkey with eyes that glowed like burning coals. In this form, the beast was believed to be purely malevolent."

Avatar image for theoneabovelife
TheOneAboveLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting.

No Caption Provided

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I come from Bulgaria, an Eastern European country, where we have many folk tales about mythical creatures and etc. However, my all-time favorite one has to be Baba Yaga. She is the Bulgarian equivalent of an evil witch that lives in the forest in a small hut. She is an evil spirit of sorts and she's a cannibal also. She mainly eats children while luring them in her small hut by offering sweets.

When I was a child I was literally super scared of her, but at the same time I've always wanted to find her hut.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Mine must be Pegasus. Such a majestic creature.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of them.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

La llorona

life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magian: Didn't know you were from Greece.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Zetsu-San

@life_without_progress: So... if we live in the US should we be looking at modern cryptids (most of which are just animals that aren't confirmed to exist, nothing actually supernatural about them), native american folklore, or the folklore of whatever our ancestry is?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ec33d087b387
deactivated-5ec33d087b387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mothman, Wendiogs, Flatwoods Monster, Hopkinsville goblins and the Alabama Leprechaun, though that could be a crack head, who got hold of the wrong stuff....who else seen the leprechaun say yeah.

TheVVitchKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Medusa

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Windigo probably

life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Avatar image for deactivated-5faf743db9a3e
deactivated-5faf743db9a3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trolls, Dwarfs and Elves. But the coolest and most unique must Nökken or Draugen.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Thunderbird of Native American lore.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Shinne

Kuntilanak, I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: I was going to choose something Native American but then I thought about it and that's not my people at all so I don't feel like it's a choice for me. Are you native?

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Die Nixen der Nordsee, which aren't mermaids, because mermaids are Meerjungfrauen or Melusine in the German language and think that Nixen are far superior.

No Caption Provided

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rakhsh: Rostam's horse which can be considered a super-powered horse.

The White Horse
The White Horse

If not that then Simorgh (maybe Phoenix for you) a good-natured, kind and wise bird known for protecting and growing Rostam's father, Zal.

No Caption Provided

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@racob7 said:

@heroup2112: I was going to choose something Native American but then I thought about it and that's not my people at all so I don't feel like it's a choice for me. Are you native?

No, but the OP asked for something from my home country. My home is the US and Native Americans are from the US and I like the legends of the Thunderbird. I could have gone with the legends of my "people" the Celts, but it asked for my home country.

Dr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tah-tah-kle'-ah & The Mothman. I believe both are one in the same type of entity.

Jexsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in the US, and my favorite mythological creature from here would be Bigfoot.

ovy7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strigoi. Those things hunted my childhood.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#26 BumpyBoo  Moderator

We have so many in Wales! I mean our flag even has a dragon. Interesting fact: IIRC, the shrieks of the red dragon (or as we say Yr Ddraig Goch) are said to be able to cause a woman to miscarry O___O

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed476aa4e89a
deactivated-5ed476aa4e89a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragons.

Dr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mothman, Wendiogs, Flatwoods Monster, Hopkinsville goblins and the Alabama Leprechaun, though that could be a crack head, who got hold of the wrong stuff....who else seen the leprechaun say yeah.

Yeah!!!

Dr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@racob7 said:

No, but the OP asked for something from my home country. My home is the US and Native Americans are from the US and I like the legends of the Thunderbird. I could have gone with the legends of my "people" the Celts, but it asked for my home country.

Man there's a crazy long list of cryptids from Native American folklore, most of which are only really known locally.

We have a Skinwalker around here that turns himself into a centaur. Too many unrelated people have seen & even spoken to it for me to be too skeptical.

Also ever heard of The Hidebehind?

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112 said:
@racob7 said:

Man there's a crazy long list of cryptids from Native American folklore, most of which are only really known locally.

We have a Skinwalker around here that turns himself into a centaur. Too many unrelated people have seen & even spoken to it for me to be too skeptical.

Wow, I've never heard of a skinwalker that turns into a centaur, must not be from my area of the country. I've certainly heard of hide behinds though. They were kind of a big thing to be scared of when I was young where I lived. Was always someone challenging you to go into a grave yard and if you did it kids would warn you of the hide behinds. Same if you went walking in the woods alone...a hide behind might getcha. I was only scared of them until I was maybe nine or ten (maybe eleven?) I wasn't very old thouh.

Dr_Shenanigans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dr_shenanigans said:
@heroup2112 said:
@racob7 said:

Wow, I've never heard of a skinwalker that turns into a centaur, must not be from my area of the country. I've certainly heard of hide behinds though. They were kind of a big thing to be scared of when I was young where I lived. Was always someone challenging you to go into a grave yard and if you did it kids would warn you of the hide behinds. Same if you went walking in the woods alone...a hide behind might getcha. I was only scared of them until I was maybe nine or ten (maybe eleven?) I wasn't very old thouh.

Yep he's known as The Clickety Clack due to, ya know...Horse feet. Those who've seen him say he speaks English & talks like a perfect gentlemen but he's a centaur.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112 said:
@dr_shenanigans said:
@heroup2112 said:
@racob7 said:

Yep he's known as The Clickety Clack due to, ya know...Horse feet. Those who've seen him say he speaks English & talks like a perfect gentlemen but he's a centaur.

Huh...sounds pretty cool.