What would John Wayne think of today's society?

• 84 results
sineyaprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@sineyaprime: For me to answer would derail the thread.

Could you answer and tag me in Trump thread? I'm genuinely curious.

sineyaprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stumpy49er: how is John Wayne a true Russian? Joke has got to make sense to be funny.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sineyaprime: or you could tag me with the specific question

kotetsu454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By kotetsu454

@cable_extreme said:

@kotetsu454: Trump supporters are always "right". Aka republicans.

I can't tell if you're delusional or being sarcastic.

EDIT: I'm just now noticing the quotation marks around the word right.

LordWhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he'd laugh

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

John Wayne was a real P.O.S.

leave him in the past he and his era are better off forgotten.

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kotetsu454: I'm probably both, but that is irrelevant to my joke which referred to how a republican stance is right wing while a democratic stance is left wing.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

True Americans are trump supporters which he would be. (My opinion)

So supporting the same politician as you is the ultimate measure of Americanness....LOL

katrurius17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

#62  Edited By black_wreath

@dernman said:
@black_wreath said:
@dernman said:
@sprior93 said:

@black_wreath: oh lordy...

Don't worry. The eyes strain in trying to see it is easily avoided with a magnifying glass.

You joke now but that magnifying glass might just save your eye. <.<

That's what I said. A magnifying glass will save you your eyes from the dangers of eye strain.

It's probably too late for a comeback now, so I just want you to know I'm giving the screen (ie. you) the evil eye...

No Caption Provided

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde: it is about patriotism, you can't get more patriotic than John Wayne or the Republican Party. (In my opinion)

Kingyang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He would want his country back.

Avatar image for redxiii18881990
Redxiii18881990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_inverse: I notice you left out his comments on how he believes in white supremacy, or how he doesn't think people should "get on their knees and give everything over to the blacks".

Also when asked about what he said was a perverted film he said, "Wouldn't you say that the wonderful love of those two men in Midnight Cowboy, a story about two fags, qualifies?"

AckRecky7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't he racist?

Avatar image for captain_inverse
captain_inverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redxiii18881990: I didn't know about those, I knew about the native american thing & when i looked it up, i also seen the tid bit about african-americans.

could you show me the whole interview from which you cited those quotes please

Avatar image for redxiii18881990
Redxiii18881990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Redxiii18881990

@captain_inverse: it's in the playboy interview I'm sure. It comes up if you google john Wayne racist.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty hard to say. For one, I didn't personally know the guy, but I'd be inclined to say, based on interviews (particularly the Playboy one) he wouldn't be overly impressed.

On the other hand, he would have been about the same age as both of the great grandfathers I knew when I was very little. One was (sorry to say) in the Klan, the other was at least back burner racist. Like it or not, a GREAT many people back then were at least subconsciously racist to some degree. That's how they were brought up.

Was he a great man, or any more patriotic than someone who upheld their ideals as some of his age on the left? Certainly not. However, it doesn't necessarily make him a complete scumbag either. I certainly think the ideas he expressed in the Playboy interview were shitty, but they were also informed and influenced by the time and place in which he was raised. Context is important.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He'd become a women

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty hard to say. For one, I didn't personally know the guy, but I'd be inclined to say, based on interviews (particularly the Playboy one) he wouldn't be overly impressed.

On the other hand, he would have been about the same age as both of the great grandfathers I knew when I was very little. One was (sorry to say) in the Klan, the other was at least back burner racist. Like it or not, a GREAT many people back then were at least subconsciously racist to some degree. That's how they were brought up.

Was he a great man, or any more patriotic than someone who upheld their ideals as some of his age on the left? Certainly not. However, it doesn't necessarily make him a complete scumbag either. I certainly think the ideas he expressed in the Playboy interview were shitty, but they were also informed and influenced by the time and place in which he was raised. Context is important.

So why isn't Cap a racist?

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#74  Edited By turoksonofstone

@modernww2fare said:
@heroup2112 said:

They are some of the common excuses used to attempt to explain away the ignorance of those they respected and still respect.

Being dead is John Waynes greatest legacy. His movies sucked.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112 said:

Like I said, not EVERYone raised back then was racist, homophobic, or xenophobic, it was just very common.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@modernww2fare said:
@heroup2112 said:

They are some of the common excuses used to attempt to explain away the ignorance of those they respected and still respect.

Being dead is John Waynes greatest legacy. His movies sucked.

One, I've never been much of a John Wayne fan...though the Cowboys and The Shootist weren't too bad.

Two, you can call them excuses, but for the most part ignorance is what it was...it certainly doesn't mean it was OKAY, and ACTING on such ideas isn't (wasn't) okay, I'm just trying to put the ideas in context.

King_Nomarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93: why are you disrespecting the Duke?/ why answer if you don't care? You must be young to say something like that

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of you kids need to get off the thread if all you are going to do is insult. As for the answer he would probably say

Pilgrim I'm glad I'm dead not to see all this madness in the world today or at Les that's what I think he would say.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@sprior93 said:
@dernman said:
@sprior93 said:
@dernman said:
@sprior93 said:
@bella_blackstar said:

Who cares ?

Obviously the OP or he wouldn't have asked.

Who cares ??

Obviously the OP or he wouldn't have asked..

"A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked to make a point rather than to elicit an answer."

Obviously, but what you're not getting is I was making my own point by answering.

who cares?

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cable_extreme: true Americans are anti Trump who has done so many UN American things I lost count. A better things to say is Trump supporters support billionaire's who don't care

AdmiralLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well actor wise I can't be sure honestly, didn't see enough of him. Character wise however, probably that we're a bunch of spoiled wimps.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@dernman said:
@sprior93 said:
@dernman said:
@sprior93 said:
@dernman said:
@sprior93 said:
@bella_blackstar said:

Who cares ?

Obviously the OP or he wouldn't have asked.

Who cares ??

Obviously the OP or he wouldn't have asked..

"A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked to make a point rather than to elicit an answer."

Obviously, but what you're not getting is I was making my own point by answering.

who cares?

rinse cycle repeat

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points