What should count as a "grossly offensive joke" that warrants arrest?

• 104 results
mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Disclaimer: Question is purely hypothetical and has no relation to anyone dead or alive or jailed or arrested.

So im just wondering If im a part of a fair and just government in a developed and progressive "free world" and wanted to arrest my constituent for the crime of making a "grossly offensive joke"...

how should i define "grossly offensive"?

MrAbductor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Throw this on the CBR forums, they'll blown your mind with the answers they come up with.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

none

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing. Jokes should be protected by free speech.

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None of them.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7 socajunkie  Moderator

If you're arresting people for jokes you'll probably get assassinated within a year.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dernman
TwotoneZack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if this is the case can we have the producers and directors of the DCEU movies arrested for offending me?

Relax I am only joking

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster said:
@valor_175 said:
@mrmonster said:

Nothing. Jokes should be protected by free speech.

They are. Whether someone is offended by it or not, there's no laws against hurting someone's feelings.

Not everywhere.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-43478925

I'm referring to America.

Maybe, maybe not but I believe Canada has some incidents also and there is good portion that see those places as being superior and want to change to be more like them. They're not the only places that are leaning that way. I feel bad for those living there.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vertigo-

The fact that someone can get legally convicted for making a joke in a democratic society is scary...

ad-arts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vertigo- said:

The fact that someone can get legally convicted for making a joke in a democratic society is scary...

and idiotic

ad-arts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is the problem.

Jokes are suppose to be NOT taken seriously. If you are offended by one, you are taking seriously something that is not supposed to be taken seriously. The problem is therefore in you, not the joke.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the impending American cultural revolution ought to be fun.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By buttersdaman000

Yeah there should be some punishment. There is no reason to purposely offend someone like that.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Hey, what do you call a one-eyed leprechaun?"

*shoots a man in the face*

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There isn't one. Free speech is the method and the mechanism by which a free world proliferates. Arresting someone because it is potentially offensive is ridiculous, and it is dangerous.

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah there should be some punishment. There is no reason to purposely offend someone like that .

Who decides what is "offensive" and whose sensibilities take precedence?

Maalik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to live in a society where a joke can get someone punished by the law.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By buttersdaman000

@paytience said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

Yeah there should be some punishment. There is no reason to purposely offend someone like that .

A judge/jury, obviously. But, for example, if you make fun of someones weight that more like a fine if they get offended. Making fun of someones race, sexuality, or gender can and should be punished with some jail time/community service....and i'm talking a year at max so it's not egregious.

As for who's sensibilities take precedence, well, it might be a tough pill to swallow but minorities/LGBT/women in varying orders take precedence.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

If we're talking about a verbal joke than none of them.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paytience said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

A judge/jury, obviously. But, for example, if you make fun of someones weight that more like a fine if they get offended. Making fun of someones race, sexuality, or gender can and should be punished with some jail time/community service....and i'm talking a year at max so it's not egregious.

As for who's sensibilities take precedence, well, it might be a tough pill to swallow but minorities/LGBT/women in varying orders take precedence.

OK, so you want to outright ban 60% of jokes that already exist? Interesting. Also, you are setting up an idea of personal opinion towards an offense. A question, what if i make joke about fat people, but mention no one in particular?

Next, what is the basis of their lawsuit? Hurt feelings?

If you set up hurt feelings as a protected good, that means that i can file a law suit if a girl rejects me. It hurt my feelings. I could also file a lawsuit after every breakup. I could file a lawsuit if i find myself offended by the fact that the price of macaroons rose up and it hurt my feelings since now i can't afford them.

Are you getting the gist of this?

You can't legally regulate emotional response. That is a bad idea that can only be brought up by people with literally no understanding on how laws work.

If you want to propose a real law, then start by defining what is the "good" that is being protected by the law.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000:

With this sentence you literally propose a law that legally discriminates against White Straight Males. LITERALLY!!!

You can't propose a system that provides different protections to different people!

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By removekebab

@buttersdaman000 said:
@paytience said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

Your feelings are not and should not be protected by law. The only kind of "speech" that should be questioned are direct violent threats and libel, and even then investigations should be thorough.

Avatar image for staticspeedster
StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

Not that it could warrant an arrest but anything with heavy pedophilia/necrophilia tones should be alarming....

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ban comedians

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe this is a real post.

HitTheAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None, tbh.

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're arresting people for jokes you'll probably get assassinated within a year.

So all the UK politicians are going to get assassinated within a year?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:
@paytience said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

Here we have a prime example of Neo-Fascist authoritarianism folks. As well as somebody that fails to have any form of foresight whatsoever

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 socajunkie  Moderator

@socajunkie said:

Hopefully we'll just get Eddie Hall to thunderclap Corbyn's balls.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard said:
@socajunkie said:

Hopefully we'll just get Eddie Hall to thunderclap Corbyn's balls.

Nah, Corbyn is in line for a ride on ol choppy

No Caption Provided

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:
@paytience said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

OK, so you want to outright ban 60% of jokes that already exist? Interesting. Also, you are setting up an idea of personal opinion towards an offense. A question, what if i make joke about fat people, but mention no one in particular?

Next, what is the basis of their lawsuit? Hurt feelings?

If you set up hurt feelings as a protected good, that means that i can file a law suit if a girl rejects me. It hurt my feelings. I could also file a lawsuit after every breakup. I could file a lawsuit if i find myself offended by the fact that the price of macaroons rose up and it hurt my feelings since now i can't afford them.

Not ban per say, regulate. Like guns.

There's already personal ideas towards offense, why not create a standard??? Then that should be OK, as long as there's no fat person around.

Yes, hurt feelings are a basis for a lawsuit.

No, you can't do that. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

I can't believe this is a real post.

Better believe it

@buttersdaman000 said:
@paytience said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

Your feelings are not and should not be protected by law. The only kind of "speech" that should be questioned are direct violent threats and libel, and even then investigations should be thorough.

Jokes threaten my well being. Are you saying bullies don't make jokes??

@buttersdaman000:

With this sentence you literally propose a law that legally discriminates against White Straight Males. LITERALLY!!!

You can't propose a system that provides different protections to different people!

They don't have as many jokes about them so......

To everyone I just responded to, how about we try to find middle ground?? People need safe spaces in this period....look how many protest we have daily that basically demand them. I say give the people what they want.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By socajunkie  Moderator

@decaf_wizard: There was a point in time where I could make Tru-cuck jokes to get back at you but that time has past and the current state of my country has left me egregiously worried.

Anyway, something else relevant to the thread: she lost this debate the moment the camera-man started laughing.

Loading Video...

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:
@paytience said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

Here we have a prime example of Neo-Fascist authoritarianism folks. As well as somebody that fails to have any form of foresight whatsoever

Well.....somebody has to take a stance against the alt-right and trumpeters. I'll be that patriot

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000 said:
@decaf_wizard said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@paytience said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

Well.....somebody has to take a stance against the alt-right and trumpeters. I'll be that patriot

The alt right is more tolerable than the alt left and the alt left is more fascist than Trump

Using Neo-Fascist ideas won't stop Neo-Fascist ideas. It will justify the other side using them

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buttersdaman000: But the vast majority of people doesn't mind jokes. It is just a vocal minority of usually overly privileged people who can't find anything else to complain about. I mean, there are people in Britain fighting against the research institute that advertised that Obesity causes cancer.

There's already personal ideas towards offense, why not create a standard??? Then that should be OK, as long as there's no fat person around.

Yes, hurt feelings are a basis for a lawsuit.

No, you can't do that. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

As i said, you obviously don't understand how lawmaking works. If you protect feelings as a good, you can't draw a line with "common sense" the "common sense" changes through the years.

If you protect feelings, you have to protect them in every way. And since there is NO OBJECTIVE WAY to measure how much someone is hurt by your words, there is no OBJECTIVE way to determine the line.

You could, potentially set it up with a multiple warning system that goes two ways.

If you are the one making an offensive joke, you could set up a system that announces an offensive joke. In that case, it is the listeners fault for listening to it and they wave the right to be offended.

And two, the listener of the joke could have a system to inform someone that they are offended by said joke and that they ask of you to confirm that that is not your actual opinion.

However, you can't punish someone for a sense of humor you don't agree with.

You are literally acting like a Nazi now.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard said:
@buttersdaman000

They don't have as many jokes about them so......

No Caption Provided

C'mon.....try to have an open mind about the feelings of others.

Cmon, try to realize that white guys have a lot of jokes made about them.

Also feelings should not be protected by law. I don't give a shit if I am being offended or my enemy is being offended. Neither of those things should result in jail time

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By socajunkie  Moderator

"You're sad that people are mean? Well I'm sorry the world isn't one big, liberal arts college campus."- Reality

Also getting jail time for offending someone is as ridiculous as it is hilariously cretinous and disgusting.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0a7ade504a7
deactivated-5b0a7ade504a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one should be arrested for making a joke no matter how grossly offensive it is.

If anything people who get all bent out of shape over a bad joke should be institutionalized.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Royal_Warrior

@dernman: @mrmonster: you do realise that even in USA he could get convicted for that right?

It wasn't hate speech he was done for, freedom is speech is here but "Gas the Jews" that's literally inciting hatred and a threat not to mention that the guy who done it a known racist who supports Nazi ideals

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard: yeah totally "has the Jews" is a joke ?‍♂️

I'm sorry that USA didn't have first hand experience of the Nazi or WW2 but in Europe most places it is massive taboo or straight up illegal to endorse or say anything about Nazi

But then again, I guess USA has the most modern experience of Nazism seeing as the third reich appears to be comming there

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0a7ade504a7
deactivated-5b0a7ade504a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not that it could warrant an arrest but anything with heavy pedophilia/necrophilia tones should be alarming....

What about Zoophilia?