What Medium has the better writing and overall storytelling, And which do you personally prefer: TV Shows or Movies?

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Poll What Medium has the better writing and overall storytelling, And which do you personally prefer: TV Shows or Movies? (21 votes)

Movies 19%
Tv Shows 38%
Both 29%
Just wanna see the poll results... 14%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

• 
jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By jumpstart55

We all know how great the witting in TV Shows has gotten..But has it improved to the point where the Television medium has surpassed Movies.?

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Zetsu-San

While I wouldn't say that tv shows have better writing; tv shows most certainly have the better writing potential due to having more time to flesh out the story and characters.

That said, Movies will always be more budget efficient and thus have better writers, better actors, and better special effects.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I prefer the writing and plots in TV shows tbh. I always feel like character arcs can get somewhat forced in movies due to runtimes, especially in stand alone films. Whereas in TV shows (or decent ones, anyway), most characters can actually get developed and have full, expansive character arcs of their own.

That said, the plots and writing of the greatest films are better than the writing of the greatest shows. The above was just an 'on average' viewpoint.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto: I disagree. Movies can potentially do better, but not always. I fell asleep watching Twilight twice, and didn't much care for Captain America: The First Avenger but had my eyes glued to the TV during Into the Badlands and Jojos Bizarre Adventure among other shows.

It often comes down to opinions though. Except for a few things.

Avatar image for ultimate_knight
Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ultimate_Knight

@scouterv: I think you just contradicted your own opinion with your supporting details. You said Movies can potentially do better, but you followed up saying you fell asleep watching Twilight and not caring for Captain America: Then First Avenger but having your eyes glued to Into the Badlands and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Zetsu-San

@ultimate_knight said:

@scouterv: I think you just contradicted your own opinion with your supporting details. You said Movies can potentially do better, but you followed up saying you fell asleep watching Twilight and not caring for Captain America: Then First Avenger but having your eyes glued to Into the Badlands and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

I am also not even sure what he's disagreeing with. I said that TV shows by their nature, have greater story potential than movies. I did not say that that means tv shows are automatically better written than movies, nor vice versa.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsumoto: You mentioned that Movies, because of their budgets have better actors and writers,but my point was that's not always true.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zetsu-San

@scouterv said:

@zetsumoto: You mentioned that Movies, because of their budgets have better actors and writers,but my point was that's not always true.

Individually, no. But as a rule of thumb, yes the best actors/writers tend to do movies more than tv shows.

If a TV actor is amazing, then chances are they are eventually going to move up and start specializing in movies over TV shows.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9
deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Romcoms tend to be better as a tv show

Cause you can see the little things that make you fall inlove with someone.

Apart from that, it really does that matter

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Romcoms tend to be better as a tv show

Cause you can see the little things that make you fall inlove with someone.

Apart from that, it really does that matter

What are some examples of good romcom TV shows?

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Shows.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still movies, they have much higher production costs and budget, and they have to fit everything into less than three hours which should make things easier to follow. TV shows can be better but I definitely prefer movies, a lot of shows have too many episodes and too much filler.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Television

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

both suck.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm biased towards movies but there are tons of great television shows. Even though some great movies and great TV shows are in the same genres, you still can't really compare them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The comics on bubble gum wrappers

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have to look at the source material.

Judging each one by some of their best examples can get a little tricky.

Ex. Game of thrones vs avengers like in the pics.

Neither of those started in movies or tv. They were books or comics first, they were just adapted for other media, sometimes looser than others.

To get a good judgement you should use original pieces for each.

It all in general a movie has to keep you happy for 2 ish hours and they are successful all they need to do is pack the story in that time.

A tv show however has to keep you interested for years sometimes and that means long ongoing plots and development. Also tv shows have the luxury of changing things along the way, individual movies can't do that.

Overall I would say movies.

I have gone to and bought probably 800 blue ray movies.

I own maybe 10 tv shows full runs on blue ray or dvd.

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think movies are more consistently efficient in storytelling, using special effects, etc. And all in 2-3 hours at most.

Whereas you have tv shows that go several seasons but might not tell a story like a movie can in a fraction of the time. You've also got your Breaking Bads, GoTs, etc that are extraordinary shows and wouldn't be anything close to what they are if portrayed in film.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Penguin-Dust

Generally speaking, movies have better writing because of the restrictions imposed by time and the format. They have to condense a lot in two hours and get the audience to care about the characters and story progression. TV has a lot more leeway to make some mistakes and recover. Even great shows can have a couple of disposable episodes and still be considered good overall.

SirDrProfessor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends. A lot of the time it is easier for a movie to get across a story because they don't have to stretch it out too long and can use their budget more efficiently.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TV Series are better for writting and story arcs imo.