What is Islamophobia?

• 116 results
LordWhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why do people think religions are exempt from criticism? Thats not how this works.

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Light1150

This thread has devolved quickly and horribly. I think we can all admit no religion is exempt for criticism and people who are called islamophobes because of this criticism is dumb. We can also agree that hating/attacking/slandering someone because they do believe in a certain religion is dumb beyond all measure; that generalizing all muslims because of a violent minority is also beyond dumb.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah people didn't stay on topic and some didn't even attempt to address or respond to what I wrote in the OP. I would've like to read more of people's opinions on it. Does anyone ever read?

Stan Rodriguez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Irrational fear of people that practice Islam

Me personally I don't like the ones that follow their old little book down to a T, or want everyone else to do. That's just me though, I'm still gonna make fun of Islam, just not (Anti-Anakin Skywalker zone) countries

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#105  Edited By Batvibe12

Islamophobia is the fear and hate of Muslim and Islamic culture. Islamophobia skyrocket after the 9/11 attack and the rise of Islamic terror organizations.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@frogdog:

Those countries wouldn't even have sharia Iaw re-enforced so heavily had western countries like USA and UK, didn't overthrow the leaders by replacing them with dictators like Shah or arming freedom fighters like the mujahideen.

You do realise there are other Middle Eastern countries where America and Britain didn't overthrow the dictators that have strict sharia law. I mean Saudi Arabia immediately comes to mind as a prime example where the West didn't bomb the shit out of a country and fundamentalist Islam took a strong hold.

Pretty sure that treating moderate Muslims like human beings would help reform Islam alot faster than blaming one word.

Those same moderates have to realise the glaring faults in their own religion and not demonise reformers like Majiid Nahwaz from speaking out about Islam's problems.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

This thread has devolved quickly and horribly. I think we can all admit no religion is exempt for criticism and people who are called islamophobes because of this criticism is dumb. We can also agree that hating/attacking/slandering someone because they do believe in a certain religion is dumb beyond all measure; that generalizing all muslims because of a violent minority is also beyond dumb.

I can totally agree with this.

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Muslims also have to stop thinking they can bully others. If I want to insult Islam I will and nobody has the right to do anything about it. Now that's not saying I'm going to go out of my way to offend muslims but if I say something insulting or joking about Islam I should be able to do that without fearing for my life

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard: Of course you shouldn't fear your for your life, but it is a muslims right to criticize/call you out if they want to. I am not just going after you (even though I tagged you) I am also speaking in generalities because a lot of people who seem to critique islam seem to think they shouldn't get critizced back. I am not talking about being attacked, but more of a debate style talk.

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bluehope said:
@buckwheat said:

Perhaps I should refrase: we americans are afraid of beng killed by a gun, but it is a rational fear. The chances of dying out of a terrorist attack in America are so slim that... Well, according to CDC (Center por Disease Control and Prevention) you have 5 more chances of been struck by lighting than dying by a terrorist attack. In fact The chances of being killed in a terrorist attack are about 1 in 20 million.

So the fear that IS present in our every daylives is unfounded.

When President Trum placed a ban that barred about 220 million people from seven majority-Muslim nations from setting foot on US soil for the next few months, with statements like "We cannot gamble with American lives," or how Department of Homeland Security (DHS) secretary John Kelly said during a televised press conference. "I will not gamble with American lives."

Well... One must think that Islamophobia is present in today's society.

Those countries can't cooperate well with US and have huge terrorist militias walking free, Isis alone has 30.000 fighters, Jihadist were able to kill 130 people in Paris with only 9.

And chances of gun control working on US are low, so the population is not really ignoring a "solution" to the gun deaths problem.

Well a “phobia” is described as a fear, greater than the actual danger posed by the feared “thing”.

So considering the real-actual threat that terrorism poses on Americans (one in 20 million), —the collective sensation of fear; the presence that the media gives to terrorism; the general alarm; and the actions taken by the government against terrorism in perspective with other more factual threats—, it is safe to admit that Islamophobia is a real fact.

The Opening asks, “what is Islamophobia?” the answer is clear:

The fear of terrorism is GREATER than the actual danger that terrorism represents.

And since terrorism is associated to the Islamic religion, the fear of Islamists is greater than the real danger that Islamists represent.

So if we look at the numbers, as much as I hate to admit it, there is a phobia associated to Islam.

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Buckwheat

@abstractraze:

Don't want to nose in your conversation with

@heroup2112

But I thougt I'd share some information regarding the Islamophobia debate.

I agree that there are many traditions in in Mussulmen countries that are prehistoric and barbaric —like to stone an adulterer, among others— that should be completely abolished, and the whole ban on Muhammad's portrait is absurd.

But lets also look into the numbers:

For EVERY American killed by terrorism (in the United States or abroad) in 2014, more than 1.049 Americans died because of guns.

Using the numbers from the Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention, from 2001 to 2014, 440.095 persons died by FIREARMS in U.S. Soil.

On that same period of time 3.412 Americans died on the whole WORLD by acts of terrorism, INLCUDING the attack against the Twin Towers that count nearly 3000 persons alone.

So if we count the Twin Tower attack, 1 American died because of terrorism for every 1.049 americans that died due to guns.

If we count from 2002 to 2015 the difference would be of about 400 Americans killed by terrorism (in the whole world) against 400.000 Americans killed by guns (in US soil only)

That's 1 for every 10.000

And lets look at the words:

A “phobia” is described as a fear, greater than the actual danger posed by the feared “thing”.

So considering the real-actual threat that terrorism poses on Americans (there's actually one chance in 20 million of diying from a terrorist attack), —the collective sensation of fear; the presence that the media gives to terrorism; the general alarm; and the actions taken by the government against terrorism in perspective with other more factual threats—, it is safe to admit that Islamophobia is a real fact.

The Opening asks, “what is Islamophobia?” the answer is clear:

The fear of terrorism is GREATER than the actual danger that terrorism represents.

And since terrorism is associated to the Islamic religion, the fear of Islamists is greater than the real danger that Islamists represent.

So if we look at words and numbers, letting aside opinions, as much as I hate to admit it, there is a phobia associated to Islam.

PS

I also think we should show some respect to people like @heroup2112

He has been in war and knows what we are talking about first hand. I for one admire his sense of humanity.

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tosca said:

I'm concerned about how criticism towards Islam is so quickly labeled racist, or sexist or bigoted. Criticism should be encouraged in all things. Everything. If it doesn't hold up, great. If it does, then insisting on shutting it down purely on an argument of alleged racism is not just regressive, it's dangerous.

Ok, give me an example of a criticisim towards Islam that could be labeled as racist by someone not of extremist nature.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84a212043e5
deactivated-5a84a212043e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a poor word that attempts to describe someone who holds particular irrational prejudice against Islam/Muslims. It's a poorly made word because Islam and Muslims are not the same, and prejudice towards either is not mutually exclusive, and it is not irrational especially considering there is a burgeoning caliphate and statistically, muslims hold extremely conservative and dangerous beliefs..

More honestly, it's a slur used by regressives to indict anyone who holds ideas that criticize islam, its teachings, and the actions of those who ascribe to its ideals, and in the service of it as bigoted. A bronze age doctrine is largely out of place in the more enlightened 21st century, and bad ideas ought to be criticized, though political correctness and regressive ideology has arbitrarily chosen this doctrine and its followers to be exempt from criticism.

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a poor word that attempts to describe someone who holds particular irrational prejudice against Islam/Muslims. It's a poorly made word because Islam and Muslims are not the same, and prejudice towards either is not mutually exclusive, and it is not irrational especially considering there is a burgeoning caliphate and statistically, muslims hold extremely conservative and dangerous beliefs..

More honestly, it's a slur used by regressives to indict anyone who holds ideas that criticize islam, its teachings, and the actions of those who ascribe to its ideals, and in the service of it as bigoted. A bronze age doctrine is largely out of place in the more enlightened 21st century, and bad ideas ought to be criticized, though political correctness and regressive ideology has arbitrarily chosen this doctrine and its followers to be exempt from criticism.

"extempt from criticisim?" What world do you life in? Or better jet... What year?

Loading Video...

Oh the irony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buckwheat: Yes, exempt. I live in this world. Same one as you. Instead of getting upset and defensive, why don't you actually address what I wrote? How about instead of posting an unrelated video, you try to dispute something I've claimed.

Being emotional or condescending doesn't make you right. It makes you look immature.

To this very day, most prominently in the EU, Muslims have free reign in many insulated communities. Islamic immigrants from the Middle East live in European nations, yet those nations do not compel them to integrate to their society or culture. These regressive political parties allow disgusting crimes to be perpetrated by these people, yet they never admit it's due to these people. A gang 'violation' occurs, and they'll never say it was rhwbimmigrants, even when it is. Even the police are afraid to enforce the law, as they fear Social retribution, and labels of racism and bigotry. People who voice their opinions, that Islam advocates violence and cultures non-western values are labeled racists.

Saudi women cannot drive, and their court testimonies are nearly worthless. But this is somehow okay? Because it's wrong to criticize Islam, or those who use it to justify their beliefs?

Bad ideas are just that. Bad. If Scientology had built a small nation in some obscure place by killing and displacing millions, everyone would agree it's wrong, but because it's being done in the name of Islam, people don't want to be called racists, or 'Islamophobes.'

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Buckwheat
@sergeant-rl3 said:

@buckwheat: Yes, exempt. I live in this world. Same one as you. Instead of getting upset and defensive, why don't you actually address what I wrote? How about instead of posting an unrelated video, you try to dispute something I've claimed.

Being emotional or condescending doesn't make you right. It makes you look immature.

To this very day, most prominently in the EU, Muslims have free reign in many insulated communities. Islamic immigrants from the Middle East live in European nations, yet those nations do not compel them to integrate to their society or culture. These regressive political parties allow disgusting crimes to be perpetrated by these people, yet they never admit it's due to these people. A gang 'violation' occurs, and they'll never say it was rhwbimmigrants, even when it is. Even the police are afraid to enforce the law, as they fear Social retribution, and labels of racism and bigotry. People who voice their opinions, that Islam advocates violence and cultures non-western values are labeled racists.

Saudi women cannot drive, and their court testimonies are nearly worthless. But this is somehow okay? Because it's wrong to criticize Islam, or those who use it to justify their beliefs?

Bad ideas are just that. Bad. If Scientology had built a small nation in some obscure place by killing and displacing millions, everyone would agree it's wrong, but because it's being done in the name of Islam, people don't want to be called racists, or 'Islamophobes.'

I didn’t mean to sound upset or condescending. Sorry for that.

I was just surprised by the last part of your assertion where you stated Islamists to be extent from criticism.

To my understanding now more than ever we live in an era where Islam and its followers are ill-regarded and criticized. The Media is constantly informing of the wrongdoings of Islam extremists, but that affects by extension to all followers of that religion, so much that a movie like Rambo III, that praises the Taliban would not only be unthinkable today, but also unacceptable by our social standards.

I think of myself as a very tolerant person, and when recently I saw that movie (they aired it on TV on a late night channel) I was astonished of how could the hero of a film talk so highly of the horrible-terrible Taliban.

You can listen to world leaders everywhere talking about “the fight against terrorism” and they all refer to Islam. And no, no one raises an eyebrow if you criticize the sexist traditions of most of the Islamic countries. At least I have never crossed anyone that would disagree when I, or anyone, say Islamists are crazy for some of the things their traditions do against human rights.

That’s why I asked in what world do you live on. It may be the same than I, but you certainly do not seem to frequent the same people I do (and believe me, my job takes me ALL over the world and makes me meet many, many different persons all over, with many, many different opinions and beliefs)

In my opinion, to say Islam is extent from criticism is comoletely incorrect, to say the least.

Perhaps you could give some proof of who or in what context has been implied by someone of our enlightened 21st century that "its ok for women not to be alowed to drive", or that it is wrong for us to critizice it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn’t mean to sound upset or condescending. Sorry for that. I was just surprised by the last part of your assertion where you stated Islamists to be extent from criticism. To my understanding now more than ever we live in an era where Islam and its followers are ill-regarded and criticized. The Media is constantly informing of the wrongdoings of Islam extremists, but that affects by extension to all followers of that religion, so much that a movie like Rambo III, that praises the Taliban would not only be unthinkable today, but also unacceptable by our social standards.

Fair enough; and you're completely right to an extent. The doctrine is widely criticized as are the actions of its followers, however a level of healthy criticism is not uniform in a developed world. As far as I can tell, it's generally condemned in the US by media outlets. My problem stemmed from PC-oriented far left societies in the EU, the Nordic countries in particular, which refuse to provide honest and fair treatment of muslims when they commit crimes, to avoid accusations of bigotry.

I think of myself as a very tolerant person, and when recently I saw that movie (they aired it on TV on a late night channel) I was astonished of how could the hero of a film talk so highly of the horrible-terrible Taliban.

Fascinating stuff to be sure. It kind of highlights the USA's tendency to solve problems by creating new ones. a bit like this

You can listen to world leaders everywhere talking about “the fight against terrorism” and they all refer to Islam. And no, no one raises an eyebrow if you criticize the sexist traditions of most of the Islamic countries. At least I have never crossed anyone that would disagree when I, or anyone, say Islamists are crazy for some of the things their traditions do against human rights.

Well, that certainly rings true. Like I said earlier, I believe it greatly depends on where you live (or at least the general political views your peers hold). For example, it's not uncommon at all for american universities, which historically have been bastions of liberal ideology to harbor anti-islamophobic sentiment, all in the name of preventing bigotry, while at the same time turning a blind eye to the numerous humans-rights violations that are done daily in the name of that doctrine. (Honor killings, Sharia punishments, excommunication, lack of civil rights) The sort of things left leaning intellectuals should be speaking out against.

That’s why I asked in what world do you live on. It may be the same than I, but you certainly do not seem to frequent the same people I do (and believe me, my job takes me ALL over the world and makes me meet many, many different persons all over, with many, many different opinions and beliefs)

Well if that's the case, you certainly have a good deal of experience to draw upon.

In my opinion, to say Islam is extent from criticism is comoletely incorrect, to say the least.

Perhaps you could give some proof of who or in what context has been implied by someone of our enlightened 21st century that "its ok for women not to be alowed to drive", or that it is wrong for us to critizice it.

It's a fair point. My initial claim was too broad, but I maintain it is not uniformly untrue. The staunchest defenders of Islam, and those who tend to make accusations of 'islamophobia' and/bigotry are generally people who turn a blind eye to the church, and have no interest in reforming it. These people are real, and they have a frighteningly large amount of influence, especially in the EU, and in American universities, which ought to be educating, not indoctrinating. (though that particular problem with the education system is not at all limited to Islam.)

@buckwheat

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergeant-rl3: I can agree to most of what you say here. Society is complicated at best.

Perhaps I misjudged you on my original post

Avatar image for dextersinister1
Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Dextersinister1

@buckwheat:

and its followers are ill-regarded and criticized.

Of course and to sum up Sergeants thoughts on the matter yes you do have lots of people who irrationally hate followers of Islam but at the same time you cannot use that as a shield against criticism which is what much of the mainstream media does.

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tosca said:
@buckwheat said:
@tosca said:

I'm concerned about how criticism towards Islam is so quickly labeled racist, or sexist or bigoted. Criticism should be encouraged in all things. Everything. If it doesn't hold up, great. If it does, then insisting on shutting it down purely on an argument of alleged racism is not just regressive, it's dangerous.

Ok, give me an example of a criticisim towards Islam that could be labeled as racist by someone not of extremist nature.

Could be labeled racist by someone not of extremist nature? How could I possibly find one when your criteria is subjective? What I can do is point to examples of where people are accused of bigotry when pointing out that a hijab is an article of clothing enforced by law in sharia adherent countries. Having it acclaimed by some as a "choice" by Muslim women is disingenuous when bearing the above fact in mind. Stating as much has resulted in people being accused of all the above; bigoted, racist and sexist. I can also point out how females in sharia adherent societies are treated horribly and ignored by western society, particularly due to the perception Islam as a whole will be viewed as radical, so attention is discouraged. Recently there was a young woman who was kidnapped in the Philippines and sent home and hash tags generated by those concerned was actively squashed by twitter. Repeatedly and with evidence. Pointing this out also has had people labeled as racist, etc.

I could continue but this is the gist of what I was getting at.

Yeah, I agree that to have a woman wear the hijab is barbaric, and there is a big (and sensless) debate around if women wear it out of choice.

So you are absolutely right on your statement, and I agree with you completely.