What do you think of fictional crossover battle debates nowadays?

Avatar image for thefantomconvoy
thefantomconvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By thefantomconvoy

Not sure if this is the right section to post it or not but here goes.

Like, discussing character x >/< character y based on power levels, abilities, or a myriad of other factors that change depending on the person setting up the scenario. As one can tell I used to be into it a lot, but time has passed and I've come to see certain things about it that I didn't before, which led to me just dropping it entirely. It also seems to be dying on the net compared to what it used to be.

Some of that would include there just being little point to any of it, and even if it may seem fun, it's actually rather hollow. And then I realized that why do I even need to discuss any of this in the first place, it's rather ridiculous in retrospect unless I just want to get other ideas, because otherwise I can just imagine a scenario myself and be done with it. Not to mention that it's probably the least important element of any series, anyone can make a character of any power level, but not just anyone can make interesting or good characters or non-derivative content. And then why bother being concerned with crossovers that won't ever happen or don't happen the way people want them to? Power is almost never the point.

Even soundtracks have more importance and they're among the most underrated things ever in fictional series.

There's also too many variables anyone can insert in and it's in their court to do so, in which case answers won't even be agreed upon universally.

armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think it is what fandom is all about, imagination, and pretending these characters could meet! It gets bad when those fans get toxic about it, but if you can have a good discussion it is extremely fun!! I think I have rarely if ever posted in the battle forums because of some of the crazy people, but with friends we discuss this stuff a lot!

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's fun.

Revold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's not about the conclusion, but the variables/factors themselves.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

It's the reason why I joined here (along with it being a comic site).

It's just nerdy, simple fun arguing over which of your characters win.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People argue sports movie characters and videogames in the exact same way. It's just a fun thing to do

thefantomconvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revold said:

It's not about the conclusion, but the variables/factors themselves.

Tons of people who do this around the net fail to see this constantly.

Which is why it's sort of absurd that people would put any kind of stock in the likes of channels like Death Battle. They too use their own variables in the end and thus can't really "conclude" any of these pairings. They'd have to come up with an endless number of scenarios.

I think it is what fandom is all about, imagination, and pretending these characters could meet! It gets bad when those fans get toxic about it, but if you can have a good discussion it is extremely fun!! I think I have rarely if ever posted in the battle forums because of some of the crazy people, but with friends we discuss this stuff a lot!

Not sure I could ever have a conversation about character X winning or losing to character Y irl. There's many other, more interesting elements that are being slept on in the wake of all that, such as influences, impact, production, tropes used, along with other peripherals and quirks.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

@thefantomconvoy: You're putting way too much thought into something people find fun.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smurfs vs Fraggles? Love it.

thefantomconvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefantomconvoy: You're putting way too much thought into something people find fun.

Wouldn't be the case were it not for how seriously some can take it.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 takenstew22  Moderator

@thefantomconvoy: Nothing wrong with being serious about as long as it doesn't lead to insults, then it becomes petty. I'm guilty of that sometimes.

El_mago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its a interesting thing to do

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fun. Plus worth checking out the characters

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Buckwheat

The Battle Forums is the reason I discovered Comic Vine.

So even if I don't go in there so often, I have a fond feeling towards it.

And I find it amusing when I run into people who take it very seriously, specially if they are death wrong.

'tis my sacred duty to show them how wrong they are.

The only complaint I could have is that all the cool fights, like Batman vs Captain America, have been done before.

Yes they have, but I wasn't here to debate! What if my contribution could have changed the outcome?!?

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

It can be and it should be something fun to do but unfortunately, most people just get too passionate about it.

thefantomconvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By thefantomconvoy
@takenstew22 said:

@thefantomconvoy: Nothing wrong with being serious about as long as it doesn't lead to insults, then it becomes petty. I'm guilty of that sometimes.

Eh, people forget that it's of no true meaning in the end.

@buckwheat said:
And I find it amusing when I run into people who take it very seriously, specially if they are death wrong.

The only complaint I could have is that all the cool fights, like Batman vs Captain America, have been done before.

Yes they have, but I wasn't here to debate! What if my contribution could have changed the outcome?!?

Well just remember that so long as their attitude is alright and they aren't trying to force their beliefs on others, then it really doesn't matter which way they think any of these hypothetical confrontations could go. Still ultimately hollow.

As I said before, Vs. only favors the popular series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f763ac0bf885
deactivated-5f763ac0bf885

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just a fun thing nerds like us enjoy doing for fun. It's not something to go really in depth over.

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 killbilly  Moderator

I think like most things humans do, it has no greater purpose outside of providing entertainment for those who participate in it. Since it provides great entertainment to me, I'd say I'm a fan.

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takenstew22 said:

Eh, people forget that it's of no true meaning in the end.

@buckwheat said:

Well just remember that so long as their attitude is alright and they aren't trying to force their beliefs on others, then it really doesn't matter which way they think any of these hypothetical confrontations could go. Still ultimately hollow.

As I said before, Vs. only favors the popular series.

Loading Video...

thefantomconvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buckwheat: Hey, I'm not here to launch some crusade against it or w/e, I'm just wondering who else used to be in it and agrees. Besides, it's already pretty much dying either way.

jonjizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jonjizz

i like to read other people's opinions and compare knowledge of certain characters' abilities and skills, so trying to "win" a debate is not quite the goal for me, but making the debate itself interesting and possibly learn a thing or two is what i find entertaining