What do you think about stopping alcohol for women who are of childbearing age?

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll What do you think about stopping alcohol for women who are of childbearing age? (34 votes)

I think alcohol should be allowed for women who are of childbearing age 59%
I think alcohol shouldn't be allowed for women who are of childbearing age 41%

Yesterday morning on BBC Radio 4 in the morning (in England) a journalist said that The World Health Organization is advising women who are of childbearing age not to drink any alcohol. Two women disagreed with The World Health Organization, one of the women seemed angry and said that stopping women of childbearing age from taking alcohol is an attack of the rights of women and is sexist. She also used the common 'freedom/liberty' argument and 'my body, my choice' argument used in Western countries for abortion (which she compared it to).

I think that women who are of childbearing age shouldn't be allowed to take any alcohol. I think I get what the World Health Organization is trying to do. The WHO knows that alcohol is a massive problem that is not considered much. Alcohol can cause serious problematic issues to people. What the WHO has said is not 'sexist', they have advised only women because women are the biological sex that carry foetuses, not men. If men could carry foetuses in their wombs (lol) then the WHO would have given the same advice to men. I think the WHO is caring for the health of the foetus in the womb of the woman and that's a good thing but the angry woman did not seem to care too much about the 'foetus in the womb' point. I have never drank alcohol, just out of choice, because of the harm it could do. The journalist who was interviewing the two women made a good point, in many countries around the world there are women who don't drink alcohol or care about drinking alcohol. My mum, who is a Paediatrician, and I agreed that it is in Western countries like the UK where drinking alcohol is a big thing. None of the females going thousands of years up my ancestry drink alcohol. My adult sister doesn't drink it, my mum doesn't drink it, neither of my grans drank it, neither of my grans' mothers drank it. And that goes for the males in my family too. It is nothing to do with culture or religion for us but just choice.

Let's keep this civil and with no insults please folks.

What do you guys think? Please vote and give your opinions :-)

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-60ee0713dd622
deactivated-60ee0713dd622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think people should be able to do what they want with their bodies. Not every woman wants children anyways.

last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahahahahahahahaha...

Lol, what? I mean, the WHO can give medical advice, based on their research, that's what they do. But they can't enforce it, and cannot dictate people's priorities for them. Telling all women of a certain (legal) age to abstain from alcohol, regardless of whether they are, or want to be pregnant is obviously dumb and incredibly sexist.

Avatar image for deactivated-60d4d60fdf33c
deactivated-60d4d60fdf33c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go ask pregnant women, not random people on a site who obviously aren't pregnant.

Unless you are😳

Abraham_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drinking, in general, should be discouraged. The perpetrators for 55% of domestic violence cases were drunk people, and drinking alcohol harms your body.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Drinking, in general, should be discouraged. The perpetrators for 55% of domestic violence cases were drunk people, and drinking alcohol harms your body.

Does alcohol cause the violence, are people with anger issues just more likely to drink?

Alcohol is not inherently harmful. It can have health benefits, and drinking alcohol doesn’t mean you’re obligated to get drunk.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Prohibition hasn’t worked before, I don’t see why anyone think it’d work now.

JoshTaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a little bit

OrangeVegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By OrangeVegeta

No. That's basically banning alcohol for the majority of humans for a long time. Besides, that, as someone above me pointed out, prohibition doesn't work whatsoever. Also less people on the planet might be a good thing. Our population is way too high to begin with.

Oh and one other thing. It very much is their body, their choice. If the government started to tell men that they must have vesectomies by the age of 30, you probably would take issue with it. Women don't like rules put on them as to what they can do with themselves, men wouldn't either if such situations occured. Frankly, the only time it truly makes sense for a government to mandate something biological is if it's for the betterment of everyone, i.e. vaccines. That or in the case of truly nasty drugs.

Avatar image for deactivated-60cca1f164f0f
deactivated-60cca1f164f0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No alcohol!

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 cocacolaman  Moderator

I think people shouldn't drink alcohol regardless but it shouldn't be legally restricted.

AanMNP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@a9 said:

No alcohol!

yes please

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator

The journalist is just an idiot. None of the points you say he raised are good whatsoever. Who says all women even want to have, or can have, children in the first place? And even if they do, why would you prohibit a woman from drinking alcohol when she isn't pregnant? How about all the drunks that will go home and beat their wives and children before shooting themselves? Did the World Health Organization say anything about them? It's caring for the families afterall. Either ban it for everyone, or they have every right to call it sexist.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e9d095c91dd
deactivated-60e9d095c91dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Divyansh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know dude one of friend's father suffered for drinking :0

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The journalist is just an idiot. None of the points you say he raised are good whatsoever. Who says all women even want to have, or can have, children in the first place? And even if they do, why would you prohibit a woman from drinking alcohol when she isn't pregnant? How about all the drunks that will go home and beat their wives and children before shooting themselves? Did the World Health Organization say anything about them? It's caring for the families afterall. Either ban it for everyone, or they have every right to call it sexist.

Actually I think the WHO didn't only restrict their recommendation to women of childbearing age, they gave it to many groups of people but some women chose to specifically single out the rule on women of childbearing age. The WHO also think that the drunks that go home and beat their wives and children before shooting themselves are wrong for doing such things. The journalist is a woman who is a very respected journalist in the UK I think. I think the WHO do wish for there to be a restriction of alcohol for everyone so they are not being sexist.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi and good morning :-) these are hyperlinks to UK newspapers that have reported yesterday's news so feel free to read them for more information. Note that newspapers don't always report the news with one hundred percent accuracy so there may be some faults in what the journalists have typed on these websites but if you want to read them for more information you can.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/who-sexist-nhs-banning-pregnant-women-alcohol-b941139.html

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/17/who-says-all-women-of-childbearing-age-shouldnt-drink-alcohol-14790293/

Hyperlink for a newspaper from the USA, https://nypost.com/2021/06/17/sexist-who-says-women-of-childbearing-age-shouldnt-drink/

Hyperlink for the 'Irish Examiner; newspaper, https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40316093.html

UK tabloid newspaper, https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9694943/Women-childbearing-age-BANNED-drinking-alcohol-says.html#comments

https://www.thejournal.ie/world-health-organisation-women-childbearing-age-alcohol-5470209-Jun2021/

Another UK tabloid newspaper, https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/who-slammed-saying-women-childbearing-24335716

Hyperlink for a YouTube video on the issue, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1cL3fwH_FM

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to clarify, the WHO didn't say that only women of childbearing age should not drink alcohol. It may not be mentioned in the newspapers, but the WHO gave recommendations to many other groups as well for the restriction of alcohol use, including both male and female teenagers. The WHO wants a restriction of the drinking of alcohol for men too, but some women and the newspapers have singled out the line 'women of childbearing age', the newspapers have targeted that specific line because that is the juicy bit of the story for them and they know that it looks like the most controversial bit. The WHO, in their report, wants alcohol use worldwide to be restricted for both men and women, and they have recognized in their report how alcohol is used in domestic violence by men on women, for example. The report is a lengthy one, I can't find the full report sorry, and it is only one of the lines that mentions the 'women of childbearing age' bit.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know dude one of friend's father suffered for drinking :0

Yeah, one of my relatives worked in one of the top government offices but drinking made his life worse, I think he was one of my mum's older cousins. My mum lived near to a family and the head of the family was a drunk man who was violent and loud at times towards his wife. I think that family made their children drink alcohol at a young age too. Nobody in that family was educated, the children didn't go to school and they were a financially poor family.

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My cousin drank heavily and did drugs while pregnant, and her daughter, who is in our care now, still suffers from behavioral issues because of it.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ArranVid

My cousin drank heavily and did drugs while pregnant, and her daughter, who is in our care now, still suffers from behavioral issues because of it.

I'm very sorry to hear that.

HarryNorine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People need to mind their own business. If a woman wants to get drunk while she is carrying a baby then that is on her.

Loading Video...

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harrynorine: I remember watching this video a long time ago.

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Option 2

IDGAF if anyone gets offended.

If men could give birth on their own, we wouldn't need women.

Should that ever happen, men should also be banned from alcohol during child-bearing years.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangevegeta: But the government asking men to take vasectomies by the age of 30 would be a rule that would not sound fair because there is no good reason for requiring men to take vasectomies by the age of 30 whereas The WHO is advising (it is not compulsory, it is a recommendation if I recall correctly) women of childbearing age to not drink alcohol, which is a recommendation that sounds fair enough compared to the vasectomy rule and has a sound basis because we want to protect the foetus in the womb and alcohol has no real benefits in life. I agree that Prohibition didn't work and isn't the way forward, but if the WHO is simply just recommending then I don't think there is a problem. Also the WHO gave recommendations to boys, girls, men and women in its large report about restricting alcohol use, it is just that the media is nitpicking on the 'of childbearing age' line.

I agree with you that the government should only mandate stuff that is for the betterment of everyone, like vaccines. I agree with you that overpopulation on our planet is a big problem, but every human is still a special being...just like all the animals and plants in the world are special beings.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahahahahahahahaha...

Lol, what? I mean, the WHO can give medical advice, based on their research, that's what they do. But they can't enforce it, and cannot dictate people's priorities for them. Telling all women of a certain (legal) age to abstain from alcohol, regardless of whether they are, or want to be pregnant is obviously dumb and incredibly sexist.

Just to clarify, the WHO didn't say that only women of childbearing age should not drink alcohol. It may not be mentioned in the newspapers, but the WHO gave recommendations to many other groups as well for the restriction of alcohol use, including both male and female teenagers. The WHO wants a restriction of the drinking of alcohol for men too, but some women and the newspapers have singled out the line 'women of childbearing age', the newspapers have targeted that specific line because that is the juicy bit of the story for them and they know that it looks like the most controversial bit. The WHO, in their report, wants alcohol use worldwide to be restricted for both men and women, and they have recognized in their report how alcohol is used in domestic violence by men on women, for example. The report is a lengthy one, I can't find the full report sorry, and it is only one of the lines that mentions the 'women of childbearing age' bit. I think the WHO do wish for there to be a restriction of alcohol for everyone so they are not being sexist.

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iknowwhoyouare

"Sexist this, sexist that, sexist blah blah blah"

God, Mother Nature, Science or whoever you believe in gave women the power to give birth, not men. With great power comes great responsibility. Snowflakes need to quit being upset over this.

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arranvid said:
@reaperthegrim said:

I'm very sorry to hear that.

I mean, it's not all bad, she adorable as hell, but she is the most ignorant child I've ever heard of. and she's been a klepto since she was two.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God, Mother Nature, Science or whoever you believe in gave women the power to give birth, not men. With great power comes great responsibility. Snowflakes need to quit being upset over this.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

I like your comment iknowwhoyouare and I agree with you one hundred percent!!! :-)

Abraham_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This genuinely made me laugh. I love this guy.

Abraham_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arranvid said:
@iknowwhoyouare said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I like your comment iknowwhoyouare and I agree with you one hundred percent!!! :-)

Lmfao!

Tunasubdrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Tunasubdrew

Women can't handle their alcohol and are annoying drunks, and the only reason anybody would want a woman to be drunk is because they think it's going to be easier to score.

Baldur_Odinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no reason to ban alcohol for anyone of age.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no reason to ban alcohol for anyone of age.

I don't think the WHO were saying a ban was necessary, it was just a recommendation that women of childbearing age shouldn't drink alcohol. The WHO also recommend less alcohol usage for anybody including boys, girls, men and women.

GilbertShiesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The WHO?

No Caption Provided

Baldur_Odinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arranvid: That recommendation is stupid. They don't get to dictate what anyone of age is able to do with alcohol.

OrangeVegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arranvid: At least it's just a recommendation. Banning alcohol for women of that age group would lead to a massive schmidtstorm of ridiculous proportions. It would also just be a waste of time because these people would obtain alcohol anyway.

Also your thing about all humans being special beings reminded me of an epiphany I had recently. I once found this video of a South American boat security crew. They're essentially hired guns. Anyway, on their boat they find a group of Somali pirates is approaching them on a smaller boat. The security team starts unloading on them. You can't see anything from the video, but there's no way those pirates survived, not with the amount of bullets fired at them.

So I had a thought regarding this video. Those Somali pirates are just dead in the sea. There's probably not going to be a funeral for them, nobody's going to fish them out of the ocean. So it makes me wonder, how much do we actually care about the lives of every individual human? Nobody cares about those pirates. Hell, the only reason I know about them is because of a video. The only people who would care are their families. But even they can't get any recompense for their losses.

Do we truly care about the lives of everyone? Would anyone really be that sad when they heard about a group of Taliban fighters that got killed in an explosion? Would you truly care if you heard about some mobster found with several rounds in his chest? What about a dictator from a country that has little regard for it's people getting assassinated? Do we care about everyone? Or is it a pick and choose situation? Just some food for thought.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The WHO?

No Caption Provided

The Who

No Caption Provided

Music band who had popular songs like Baba O'Riley and My Generation.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arranvid: That recommendation is stupid. They don't get to dictate what anyone of age is able to do with alcohol.

I don't see what is wrong with informing people about the serious harms alcohol causes to people. I don't think there's anything specifically 'stupid' about what the WHO has done. I don't think 'stupid' is the right adjective here. The World Health Organization has a job of protecting the health of people worldwide. The coronavirus was a big problem and alcohol is another big but longstanding problem. Yes, prohibition didn't work and is probably not the way to go, but surely warning people about the harms alcohol causes to people is a good thing. It is also the WHO's job to give guidance, and telling women of childbearing age not to drink alcohol seems good guidance to me, just like the WHO telling children and teenagers not to drink alcohol is also good guidance and the WHO showing statistics of how alcohol is abused by men who commit domestic violence towards women is also a good thing. Yes, I don't think it is right for the WHO guidance to become law because we've already seen the problems with banning alcohol. But there's nothing wrong with advice, just like how the WHO advised people to wear masks and socially distance (some people still don't wear masks and socially distance, and that is up to them, but there's nothing wrong with the WHO giving guidance on how to protect yourself during the coronavirus pandemic). If I had a mum who drank alcohol when she was pregnant with me, I would be very disappointed in her. Also, there are many uneducated people who don't go to schooling in poor countries who don't know the serious harm alcohol can cause to societies so the WHO informing them is a good thing and a necessary thing.

Baldur_Odinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arranvid: Then that's all it needs to be; advice.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

CharlesStone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CharlesStone

Women's alcoholism is very aggressive. A safe environment is the first element of an ideal recovery for women from addictions. This is vital because women who require immediate treatment may be the victims of unwanted or traumatic incidents. To prevent this, I advise you to visit https://www.abbeycarefoundation.com/alcohol/alcohol-rehab/alcohol-rehab-for-women/ to rule out unpleasant situations such as sexual abuse, suicidal thoughts, psychological problems or other mental problems health.

TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheInsufferable

I don't know man, electricity can potentially kill you. Should we ban it?

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People should be allowed to take whatever drugs they want

Avatar image for sylviaanimenerd
SylviaAnimeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Banning alcohol for any1 won't result in any meaningful change. Anyone can make his own vodka if they buy a sack of potatoes and a glass jar. If you want any form of harmful alcoholism to diminish you need to promote culture and values that discourage it and educate your society about the consequences. Additionally, make sure those who already have a problem can find good quality assistance for free. Bans is just the wrong way to go about this. It only makes sense to ban things that are hard to obtain.

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So can guns and nobody has banned those.

TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theinsufferable said:

So can guns and nobody has banned those.

It should be, but 'Murica's 'Murica.