What do you think about CBR.com?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jhazzroucher

I've been with CBR and Comic Vine for more than 10 years and they are probably the two most popular comic sites.

No Caption Provided

So I wanted to know.

1. What do you like about CBR?

2. What do you not like about CBR?

3. What should be improved in CBR?

I've also made a thread for Comic Vine at CBR site, so we would know what they think about Comic Vine here: http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?93485-What-do-you-think-about-Comic-Vine&p=2705167#post2705167

shortcut: http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?93485-What-do-you-think-about-Comic-Vine&p=2705167#post2705167

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

CV is better designed and more active.

Cosmic_Templar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That forum is so 90s. Too many sharp edges and boxes.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Mutant1230

What I like: The Community seems to be much more serious about comics and superhero media. I like this website, but it does seem to attract a lot of casuals and fanboys.

What I don't like: The layout seems outdated and the dwindling activity doesn't make for as rich of an experience.

What I think CV could learn from CBR: Honestly, the only thing Moderators have control over is the layout really. Which they already do better, everything else is just luck. We just have to accept both websites for what they are, worts and all. It's good that the Comic Book fandom doesn't just have one official place to hang out and discuss ideas at.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm glad you made a link over there back to this cite. I recognize your avatar over there.

1. I'm not sure if this is entirely correct, but comic fans at CBR seem to be in my age group and older; I'm sure there have to be younger fans over there too; while this cite seems to be more towards younger people, like 25 down to a fan who said she was 12 at the time; you can join in the conversation there and it's very interactive to anyone.

2. The staff and moderators there are off; the moderators are ok in some of the forums such as the one where this thread is posted over there, but, one forum (Wonder Woman) has a very aggressive moderator who's quick to ban people of a different political persuasion; the people in that Wonder Woman forum are likely very biased and do not necessarily represent even the fan base of the feminist type, just a part of them; but, in all other forums, I didn't seem to have a problem over, especially where this thread is posted. But, as a poster, you're probably much more at liberty to speak your mind about any topic, anywhere here at Comic Vine and the comic opinions on this website very much better represents the overall opinion of fans about comic books, particularly in the Wonder Woman forum.

3. Comic book fans should be much more at liberty to speak their minds in the Wonder Woman forum over there; they could probably get better staff up to the owner over there, as they're too restrictive on regulating speech over there as compared to this website, at least in the Wonder Woman forum; but, my opinion is somewhat dated, as that was the case, as of about September 2014, when I could post at that website; before I could really give any helpful suggestions, these changes would have to be instituted; oh, on this website, it's better for posting images and videos in your posts; over there, they limit the number of images that you can include in a post; I think the same was with videos, too; they may even have a word or character limit in making a post over there too. That had some other features, though, which I have forgotten that Comic Vine didn't have, but, I think it was something more design related; they may have more visitors, too, which may be behind some of those restrictions.

But, I didn't really have that many issues over there, overall; I just ran into problems with a moderator at the Wonder Woman forum, with the arbitrary institution of rules that were really only me specific; everywhere else, I was ok posting over there, except I tended to camp at the Wonder Woman forum there, while I tend to camp mostly at the Off Topic forum here; but, although I had no problems everywhere else there, I wouldn't recommend testing them over there with unique opinions, as you can here in any of their forums, but, especially, their Wonder Woman and Superman forums, as the same moderator is at the Superman forum, also; but, I did see some bans in their X-Men forum, or, at least, people who mostly frequented their X-Men forum; not sure where the actual ban occurred, but it was somewhere other than the Wonder Woman forum; might have been the X-Men forum, but, I had no trouble posting in their X-Men forum; I just got singled out by an opponent in the Wonder Woman forum who was later made into a moderator, and, than, the staff backed her; but, the prior moderator was similar, but not as zealous as her, as he did give me a few temp bans for having an opinion about how the character should be treated than he had.

Just a word of precaution, only go over there expecting less freedom to speak your mind; of course, there could have been changes since I could last post there. You can speak your mind, just watch out for the Wonder Woman and Superman forums, and, possibly, the X-Men forum to a much lesser extent, or, maybe not, as I don't know where those poster who frequented the X-Men forum were actually banned, except it happened somewhere other than the Wonder Woman forum, which is the forum where I experienced the problems.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Yassassin

The word cuck comes to mind.

DaDivineKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The layout is garbage.

LordWhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LordWhiskers

Awful site.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Comic Vine is better, declining in amount of news articles though

:(

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the way they present their comic previews.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@tvc-15 said:

The word cuck comes to mind.

That's 4chan.

BB

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Don't like the layout, I can't criticize the community because I don't read them.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. More mature posters I think and they also have writers who post on their site. Comic Previews and better articles compared to Comic Vine's. Also being able to have signatures.

2. Prolly being less colorful

3. THey should have their own character profiles too, just like Comic Vine.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Lvenger
  1. The character boards are a lot more active with forum posters and new threads compared with CV's character forums. I've been lurking on the CBR Superman board for the past month lately.
  2. There's more news and opinion articles updated on a regular basis than the black hole of articles CV has fallen into ever since Gamespot bought the site.
  3. It can be a little too political and hard left wing in the opinion pieces and the progressive writers who think 'diversity is our strength' are in a world of their own.
  4. Forum rules and moderators seem much stricter than CV's rules and moderators.
jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:
  1. The character boards are a lot more active with forum posters and new threads compared with CV's character forums. I've been lurking on the CBR Superman board for the past month lately.
  2. There's more news and opinion articles updated on a regular basis than the black hole of articles CV has fallen into ever since Gamespot bought the site.
  3. It can be a little too political and hard left wing in the opinion pieces and the progressive writers who think 'diversity is our strength' are in a world of their own.
  4. Forum rules and moderators seem much stricter than CV's rules and moderators.

So there are more members in cbr than comicvine? I thought it was the other way around.

Avatar image for deactivated-598aab95b6c09
deactivated-598aab95b6c09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's more active and has more "fun" threads (E.G. post your own Avengers roster, pitch Marvel/DC a hypothetical book, etc, et), but the moderators, at least some, or particularly one, are giant PITA. They let certain posters fet away with insulting, spamming and being generally nothing but trouble, but as soon as you go against them, you get a very condescending PM followed by a ban if you don't "comply". In the last few years, most of the good posters have vanished, and, speaking for the Marvel board, only the Zombies have remained, who praise the company's decisions no matter what, and throw you under the bus if you dissagree.

Generally, I'd say it's worth to lurk for any news and whatnot, but it's not that a community anymore. Just my 0.02$...

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dshipp17

@darthkostis said:

It's more active and has more "fun" threads (E.G. post your own Avengers roster, pitch Marvel/DC a hypothetical book, etc, et), but the moderators, at least some, or particularly one, are giant PITA. They let certain posters fet away with insulting, spamming and being generally nothing but trouble, but as soon as you go against them, you get a very condescending PM followed by a ban if you don't "comply". In the last few years, most of the good posters have vanished, and, speaking for the Marvel board, only the Zombies have remained, who praise the company's decisions no matter what, and throw you under the bus if you dissagree.

Generally, I'd say it's worth to lurk for any news and whatnot, but it's not that a community anymore. Just my 0.02$...

Your observations are spot on; the moderators there do allow particular posters there to throw insults at other posters (e.g. the remaining posters write about being atheists and are condensing to people who are not and those posters are still there, as one example (e.g. and another example was trying to mount a defense for a Wonder Woman character called Dr. Psycho, because he represents a man who faces hardships because of his looks and it goes against having to defend women who face hardships because of their looks, the example that's much more widely dealt with in media and entertainment); and, yes, when you defend yourself, the moderators will start arbitrarily applying the rules until you're banned, at least one moderator in the Wonder Woman and Superman boards in particular; spot on; and the prior Wonder Woman moderator was the same way, just far less zealous); but, a few posters without certain views and are Christians are still there, except they mostly post in the community forum; they somehow knew which forums to avoid; the posters that are those atheists who can insult at will can take a flogging in the community forum, there, as with a normal site like this site, but, they are protected in some forums over there, although I've only known it to be in the Wonder Woman forum, although there must be some other forum there that is not so safe, as I've seen posters who frequented the X-Men forum, but never visited the Wonder Woman or Superman forum get banned; I just know that you can freely post in the community forum, X-Men (Book) forum, Marvel forum, and DC forum; the Spider Man and Batman forums seem safe, as well as the independent forum, but there's got to be at least one other problem moderator someone there; but, the way situations are handled, those one or two moderators and the staff may be the problems, and, if the staff is the problem, than the whole website is really a problem; it's possible that it wasn't a moderator that did the banning of those frequent X-Men poster but perhaps one of the staff members; but, of course, you have to be courteous about what you say anywhere, I'm just talking about a very unique and unusual case that is the Wonder Woman and Superman forums who really fits your description here.

Avatar image for deactivated-598aab95b6c09
deactivated-598aab95b6c09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: I never encountered any non/religious folks, since I visited only the Marvel board, but that became full of SJWs. Especially after Marvel's Fake Diversity Push, they came out in doves. There came a point where you couldn't have a legitimate discussion, before someone called you names, for whatever reason. The problem is that these posters were allowed to call people privilleged scumbags, racists, stupid, etc, etc, but as soon as you raised your voice a bit, you were done. I remember two instances:

1) There was a guy saying that Bendis' GotG was better than DnA's. After a bit of back and forth I opened up a thread, calling people to vote. Somehow that was deemed a personal attack, and one of the Mods contacted and gave me the "hammer" speech.

2) Last time, there was a thread asking people to offer their opinions on certain Marvel books. In my "not liked" category, I added Coates' Black Panther, and one of them started with the whole "you're just razzzist" tantrum. I explained that the reason I, and all other BP fans on that board didn't like it, was because it was a badly made book that ignored years of character development and destroyed themythos. Of course, he/she wouldn't buy it, so he/she continued with the tantrum, only that now she added that "I didn't have good taste, in general". I got tired eventually, and I posted that American Psycho "smooch" (the one where Bale is sitting at the diner and does this fake kiss) gif, and apparently, for that mod (the same one from last time), it was deemed too far, and he sent me a PM saying that "I shouldn't use gifs because I'm too stupid to understand when it's appropriate". I got tired of the whole thing, I sent him a gif of Rust flipping the bird, and that was it. Funny thing is, 2 years after the first instance, and the arse wouldn't even let me change my name! And I was a member since 2012 or so. I had around 3k posts before the reboot, and 4k or so after.

Generally, the CBR mods are huge arses, and the Marvel board especially is compromised by nothing other than apologists & SJWs at this point. The Indie board is cool though.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this post doesn't get me banned/suspended for criticizing another comicbook site but I gotta get this off my chest. Comicvine is a much better site. Even with the strict rules here you can speak your mind as long as you're not being rude? CBR? Say anything that goes against their political views and that will warrant you a month of suspension. I been suspended by those authoritarian mods multiple times.

I recently got suspended for criticizing Black Panther writer Coates. The post was deleted and note it had no inflamaatory elements in it. I receive a PM from a mod warning me. I LITERALLY say, "I will comply with the warning and never make a post like that again. However, I still stick to the views I have on Coates." Next time I login I am given a 1 month suspension for.... wait for it.... "insulting a creator." Like what the hell? I pray CV never gets to that. While I am annoyed with the "SJW" complaints on here CBR is filled to the brim with SJW political agenda and if you dare cross it you will be dealt with quickly and harshly. And for context I am BLAAAAAAAAAAACK and not just Black but deeply into politics surrounding the Black community. However, the SJW agenda on CBR is unbearable. You can not have an opinion. Make one wrong move and you're gone.

To answer the OP. That's what I think about CBR.

And PS: Their political "wokeness" is fake and phony.

catlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@catlike said:

@blessedbyhorus: I'm sorry to hear that, mate.

Appreciate it. The fake political "wokeness" on that site is irritating. Again I APOLOGIZED for the post. But all I said was "I still stick to those views but will not make anymore posts like that." smdh.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't go there, but I get Google alerts from them, and it seem like they make an article from every freaking passing fancy. Like "this guy redrew Trunk's SSG form" why would I give a shit?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2414030c5e3
deactivated-5f2414030c5e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their boards are a dictatorship. You have to stick to the mod ruling aka moderator's opinions about different topics over evidence. Scary.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#24 god_spawn  Moderator

Their articles articles are a bunch of clickbait titles with the authors messing up their own information on characters. And their forum users are completely dependent on said forum. Some I’ve seen are ok, well thought out intelligent users, but others make me sad to even call myself a fan because of how little they know of their own characters. I absolutely hate their Cyclops forum and you can’t go a page without one of these things being repeated

“Scott’s hair being shown vs not shown”

“Jean or Emma”

“Visor no visor”

“Wolverine 3 way with Jean”

“He was right”

“Should Rachel call him dad”

“Should he control his powers”

“How can we change his powers”

“Some fanfiction or overly drawn out post about nothing”

And there is like a lot of stupid drama that makes the stuff we deal with on here look like a legitimate incident. And I hear their mods are terrible.

To me their site is basically a big site dedicated to comics and nerd culture but they know so little of almost everything they talk about. I don’t go there too often because I lose brain cells reading some of their stuff. Not all their users are bad but it’s like come on.

Avatar image for onlyoneempereor
OnlyOneEmpereor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decent site.

Avatar image for deactivated-6108c6c162ecc
deactivated-6108c6c162ecc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Some quotes of cbr that show they use to think highly upon dragon ball.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

I still stand by what I’ve said. As a site, their authors and articles are generally trash. The writers barely seem to do any research on what topics they’re actually putting out. The users tend to still depend on the forum. Everyone is almost in their own tribe. The few Cyclops fans on here I can talk to and actually know what they’re talking about like with @koays or @owie.

Over there, it’s still same stupid shit I said from a year ago. They care more about Jott/Scemma, and whether Cyclops should leave his hair out or not than have actual conversation about the character, let alone understand him. The Jean forum over there is one of the most toxic and hateful groups I think I’ve seen on any comic site. The Jean fans here are a lot cooler. Their Storm forum are just a bunch of raindrop enablers, doesn’t help they had/have Kyss and Jhazz. Once I banned them here, the Storm fans are pretty chill for the most part like @son_of_storm and @mooty_pass. But then I’ve gone to like the Namor forum and just chill guys talking about old school comics. The Emma Frost forum is pretty cool too. I learned a lot from some of their users even in my early days on here.

Aside from that, all Ive heard even more horror stories about the mods. I know one user got banned because they called an author racist, which is incredibly stupid. All in all, even though CV has its problems here, like most of the users seemingly being more interested in anime and live action than actual comics, the base here isn’t that bad. Over there, it’s so hit or miss. You may really like a character but that forum is so full of idiots. Then you go to one you maybe don’t like but realize the users there are pretty chill.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mooty_Pass

@god_spawn: I agree with god_spawn and thank you for calling me a Chill Storm Fan. I appreciate it.

For me Personally. I HATE CBR......it’s not a safe place to discuss your favorite hero without having some random superfans getting in their feelings and yelling at you for what you think would be cool for the character you like.

Then comes the freaking long Essay Responses that nobody cares to read. -_- I also hate CBR due to the fact that I hate the Storm Fanbase over their. They are absolutely the worst. Don’t get me wrong Their does exist GOOD Storm Fans on CBR, but you have to find them. It’s like finding a Legendary Pokémon when you find it. It runs away quickly. That’s how it is for the Good Storm fans in CBR. The other fans of other characters are just outright mean or just plain rude.

Also, the content and the interviews and the reviews CBR post makes me think they get their information from Wikipedia. They don’t do any research and they use Non-Cannon stories and lie and say it is Cannon. CBR tells TOO MANY LIES.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 god_spawn  Moderator

@mooty_pass: No problem. And I’m the same with the Cyclops forum over there. They’re nice people, but holy shit, so they hound after the dumbest things. Try and have a solid conversation and it’s 3 pages of “should he keep his hair out”. It’s terrible.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

@god_spawn: Yeah, but should he keep his hair out? :P

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magian: He should shave it. It's healthy. It's called manscaping. Less mesy when he shoots his load at full force.

Avatar image for staticspeedstrr
StaticSpeedstrr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's alright. Dunno how active it is right now but the layout looks so old.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean I maintain that the site is a joke as far as writers go.....which is kinda hilarious when you consider comicvine doesnt even have any anymore.

This is from an actual CBR article which declares that Kitty Pryde has telepathy and that's why she's the best X-Woman with complete sincerity.

No Caption Provided

This is an entire website dedicated to generating random CBR style headlines.....

https://cbrheadlinegenerator.herokuapp.com/

This should tell you all that you need to know about the sites editors and give you more then you need to consider when discussing the type of damage that site does to the internet comic community just with its official content before you even get to the forums.

Is it a wonder that so many of their Users are so shallow and misinformed?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their info is so bad that 99% of the time they claim popular anime characters that are at the level of universal or below can beat above universal and above characters with 0 info how. They just say “well he won’t let that happen but I won’t say how. He just won’t”

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruh they claim goku beats Lucifer but loses to Dr Manhattan aswell. I really only used cbr to research Nintendo characters before and their research is so bad that I didn’t actually get anything from it. (Just opinionated statements)

Son Of Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@god_spawn
Why would you tag me in a thread made by that defected sperm?! Now all the horrid memories are rushing back full throttle! I'll be sending you my therapy bill.

But on topic, I can't stand CBR for a few reasons, most of which have been pointed out by others.

-Medicore and usually less than half accurate articles.

-Mods have the most enormous stick up their ass you can imagine.... then make it 100x bigger.

-Some of the users there make me wish I had the powers of Congresswoman Victoria Neuman. Stupidity on that level shouldn't be allowed to procreate.