Avatar image for life_without_progress
#1 Edited by Life_Without_Progress (24716 posts) - - Show Bio

The definition of Colonization to be discussed here is:

The action or process of settling among and establishing control over the indigenous people of an area.

English Oxford Living Dictionaries

I mean, I have some ambivalent feelings about the concept myself.

#2 Posted by Stahlflamme (5822 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't do it.

#3 Posted by gunmetalgrey (4749 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say it depends on how xenophobic the culture is. I believe cultural exchange and sharing of knowledge will always be beneficial in the long term, so if forcefully inducing it via colonization is the only way for it to happen to a particular people, then I could be convinced to support it. Their current generation may be adamantly opposed to other beliefs, but I'd like their future ones to have a choice.

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
#4 Posted by TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say it depends on how xenophobic the culture is. I believe cultural exchange and sharing of knowledge will always be beneficial in the long term, so if forcefully inducing it via colonization is the only way for it to happen to a particular people, then I could be convinced to support it. Their current generation may be adamantly opposed to other beliefs, but I'd like their future ones to have a choice.

Interesting, so you would also agree with my position on the Sentinelese?

#5 Posted by gunmetalgrey (4749 posts) - - Show Bio

@theonewhopullsthestrings: Probably not with the exact methods you detailed. Those people have interacted with outsiders before and show potential for cultural exchange with less strong-arming.

Maybe it could be done by introducing vastly improved modern versions of the simple tools that they use day to day, probably clothing too, then gradually upping the ante with slightly more and more advanced stuff until they begin to crave more of it and want to learn more about it. Cultural exchange almost always did start best through a healthy trade relationship.

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
#6 Edited by TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

@gunmetalgrey: Not always. America opened the trade doors to Japan by force, and then we got an emperor who saw the weakness that was, and immediately put in place what many historians now consider the Meiji miracle, one of the fastest turns from a feudal economy into a modern one ever, in less than half a century.

It didn't start necessarily from a non-forceful offset, but it ultimately helped Japan miles, and forced them outside of their mindset in the past.

#7 Edited by gunmetalgrey (4749 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Wolfrazer (16288 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean it's been a thing since man first figured out that a hard rock could bash someone's head in. I can see pros and cons depending.

#9 Edited by SocaJunkie (8672 posts) - - Show Bio

To tell you the extent of how messed up and difficult of a question this is:

- Rape, brutal murder and dehumanising of a foreign less technologically advanced culture=eventual westernisation

Avatar image for wolverinebatmanftw
#10 Posted by WolverineBatmanFTW (1498 posts) - - Show Bio

On one hand, it can be an extremely harsh and violent exercise in which the country colonizing brutalizes and in some cases enslaves the country being colonized. On the other hand, countries that are colonized generally turn out to be better. Look at India. Don't get me wrong India is still a shit country (trust me, I know, I was born there) but it is generally getting better and less backward.