#5551 Posted by Quinlan58 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@loyngulpany: wih the exception of Jazz/Rock, I don't think there is a single thing in that list I even come close to agreeing with.

So congratulations, I guess.

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
#5552 Edited by TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

Elvis Presley did not "steal" anything. Like most musicians before him, he just found influences and made a style unique to him. You won't hear his music and think 'oh, this is that other guys song', and you can find his own stylizations all throughout.

#5553 Posted by Catlike (96 posts) - - Show Bio

@catlike: Well said. I respect your thoughts on my opinions. Yeah, it's a bit hard to decide which is better between IW and TDK.

Glad we respect each-other's thoughts. And yeah both were pretty good movies (not excellent, but pretty good imo). I have yet to test waters of other movie genres other than the superhero genre.

#5554 Posted by loyngulpany (2600 posts) - - Show Bio

@quinlan58: Lol. Glad you expressed your thoughts! I respect that.

#5555 Posted by loyngulpany (2600 posts) - - Show Bio

Tommy Wiseau is a genius

Boy bands and some pop stars deserve more love from metalheads like me

Marilyn Manson sucks

Queen is the best band of all time

DC has better heroes while Marvel has better villains

Nickelback deserve more love than hate

Kanye West sucks

Nickeleodeon has better shows than Disney

#5556 Posted by loyngulpany (2600 posts) - - Show Bio

@theonewhopullsthestrings: Gotta agree with that. If Elvis stole black music in that case, Chuck Berry or Little Richard stole from boogie woogie and country music. I hate people who say that Elvis is a stealer just like haters who believe in the rumors that Michael Jackson was a pedophile.

#5557 Posted by Quinlan58 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@loyngulpany: Queen had some amazing singles, but I think they lack the sheer depth and breadth of the Beatles 'and Stones' catalogue to compete.

Even then though, I don't think saying Queen was the best band ever is a particularly unpopular opinion. Isn't their greatest hits one of the most sold albums ever?

#5558 Posted by loyngulpany (2600 posts) - - Show Bio

@quinlan58: you're right about their lack of sheer depth but Queen is just my favorite band. Yes, their albums were one of the best selling of all time but they aren't even on the top 10. I highly respect anyone's opinions. I don't attack anyone who has their own opinions about anything.

#5559 Posted by Soratoumiga (2219 posts) - - Show Bio

@loyngulpany:

Kanye West sucks

Not really unpopular opinion lol.

#5560 Posted by Supermanthor (16568 posts) - - Show Bio

Every character has a fanboy who wanks him or her

And a lowballar

#5561 Posted by Quinlan58 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanthor: I don't think those count as opinions. They can be proven or disproven.

#5562 Posted by Supermanthor (16568 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanthor: I don't think those count as opinions. They can be proven or disproven.

ok its just my thought

#5563 Edited by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

Riverdale sucks.

#5564 Posted by Dernman (25910 posts) - - Show Bio

Riverdale sucks.

This is The Unpopular Opinions thread. Not the Truth and Facts thread.

#5565 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@solar_nerd said:

Riverdale sucks.

kek

#5566 Posted by SuperVision123 (375 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually loved season 1, but season 2 is quite boring so far.

#5568 Posted by Buckwheat (2259 posts) - - Show Bio

Justin Bieber is talented.

#5569 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

Justin Bieber is talented.

He's decent these days, so I kinda agree. People still act like he's the worst thing ever, but that's not true. There are singers (most of whom come from Soundcloud, Musical.ly or TikTok) that make him seem like Freddie Mercury by comparison.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c97780a71ae4
#5570 Posted by deactivated-5c97780a71ae4 (568 posts) - - Show Bio

Luke Cage (Netflix) is pretty shit tbh they don't need to pander so much to keep the audience engaged

#5571 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason Bourne (2016) was a pretty good movie.

#5572 Edited by TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

Transhumanism is the future, and ultimate good for humanity. And yes, I am a transhumanist that thinks long term we should start weeding out bad genes from gene therapy, finding all intelligence, fitness, etc genes and start putting them in every baby over time. Any genes for things like Down syndrome, remove. This is just the basic level stuff I could get into in this short paragraph.

I feel being pro-transhumanism is rather unpopular in most circles, as is any idea of even soft eugenics I support (no, nothing like Hitler).

@dernman said:
@solar_nerd said:

Riverdale sucks.

Lol, but correct :)

#5573 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

@theonewhopullsthestrings: I agree, even though I'm religious. I think if God didn't want us to use gene therapy, he wouldn't make it possible.

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#5574 Posted by RedHood_JayTodd (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

KD > LeBron

#5575 Edited by Dernman (25910 posts) - - Show Bio

@solar_nerd said:

@theonewhopullsthestrings: I agree, even though I'm religious. I think if God didn't want us to use gene therapy, he wouldn't make it possible.

I think if god does exist he would and has created many things that he wouldn't want us to use. It's about choice, freewill or maybe other reasons.

Look at the Garden of Eden. Eve could have said the same thing about eating that apple as whatever it is you're talking about. Why make it possible to make weapons to better kill ourselves? Why make it possible to go down bad or even evil paths if he didn't want you too? That line of thinking wouldn't work for me if I was a believer.

----------

For the record, so you know I didn't see your conversation so I don't actually know what you're talking about. So my point isn't for or against that. Just food for thought on the line of thought of God making things possible that he wouldn't want us to use.

#5576 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: True. But still, I don't think God would be against gene editing, which is what I was talking about.

#5577 Posted by Dernman (25910 posts) - - Show Bio

@solar_nerd:

I have my doubts about that but that's a discussion for the religion thread and I usually avoid that thread like the plague. :p

#5578 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

RiceGum is awful.

#5579 Posted by TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

Jar-Jar was a pretty cool character in the Star Wars prequels, I had a laugh with him. The only big thing I didn't like in the prequels was the stupid Padme/Anakin love affair that was disgusting, wrong, and terribly written. But I enjoyed all of the prequels for the most part. Especially ROTJ.

@solar_nerd@dernman

Never in a million years did I think I run into two random people in a day who agree that maybe not all soft eugenics is bad, and more importantly - that transhumanism is good, everyone moving to a super-race of smarter, faster, stronger, better people in the future as a great thing. If you understood all my conversations on YouTube over the years on this, you would understand how it is a bit shocking to me. I do however spend more of the time arguing with the supremacist who want to use IQ as a reason to judge entire races, and how such naive views are neither very long term at this point, irrelevant long term as anything from skin color to penile size will be easily set to the whims of the parent by genome, making real race bending towards all the best a real thing, and more imporantly: massively beside the point towards the actual freedom conversations we need when a group of people will show up that are all of those things you stereotype people like blacks for, but better, and they will be better than you in every way, and then you need to figure out how all your arguments needed to change... And is a reason to now get rid of you.

It is funny seeing their responses.

#5580 Posted by loyngulpany (2600 posts) - - Show Bio

Dubstep is cool

#5581 Posted by loyngulpany (2600 posts) - - Show Bio

Madonna is a better artist than Whitney Houston

#5582 Posted by loyngulpany (2600 posts) - - Show Bio

The DCEU will beat the MCU at some point

#5583 Posted by Dernman (25910 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#5584 Edited by buttersdaman000 (22677 posts) - - Show Bio

@theonewhopullsthestrings said:

Elvis Presley did not "steal" anything. Like most musicians before him, he just found influences and made a style unique to him. You won't hear his music and think 'oh, this is that other guys song', and you can find his own stylizations all throughout.

He kind of did though. Sam Cook even said if you jus took the style and music of the popular black artist at the time, and give it a white guy you'd have the biggest artist of the century (or something like that). I'm not saying he just blatantly and maliciously stole their music, but imagine someone taking the moonwalk and calling it the moonglide.....what do you call that?? That's basically what Elvis did. If he credited the artist he took "inspiration" from I feel people wouldn't have had as much issue with his style today, but he didn't. Now you have a bunch of people thinking he just "perfected" and "created" that style when that couldn't be further from the truth. It's like when one of those cosmo magazines gave the Kardashians credit for "popularizing/creating" cornrows tf lol

On the subject though, Michael Jackson didn't diddle any kids. The new documentary extremely libelous, and purposely ignores mountains of evidence that absolved MJ of the crimes over a decade ago in favor of unfounded conspiracy theories and suspicion.

#5585 Edited by ourmanuel (10575 posts) - - Show Bio
@theonewhopullsthestrings said:

Transhumanism is the future, and ultimate good for humanity. And yes, I am a transhumanist that thinks long term we should start weeding out bad genes from gene therapy, finding all intelligence, fitness, etc genes and start putting them in every baby over time. Any genes for things like Down syndrome, remove. This is just the basic level stuff I could get into in this short paragraph.

I actually agree with this. It’s sad that this isn’t pushed more due to ethics(Muh “we shouldn’t play god”).

Though I can see some problems with it. E.g: when it first comes out, only the super rich would be able to afford it, and with this they could create their own super babies that would be superior to everyone else.

Maybe regulations would have to be put in place.

Idk, we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it, I guess.

#5586 Posted by Quinlan58 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@loyngulpany: I don't think that's an unpopular opinion. One's the Queen of Pop and the other is just a great singer.

Thread Tax: Remus Lupin was far, far more irresponsible than Sirius Black ever was.

#5587 Edited by SocaJunkie (8376 posts) - - Show Bio

@quinlan58: An argument can be made for that: are you thinking the omission of him being a werewolf, leaving Teddy etc?

Mine: GoT seasons 1-4 is better than Breaking Bad

#5588 Posted by Quinlan58 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@socajunkie: More about him not telling anyone that the mass murderer who is hunting his deceased best friend's son is a dog animagus and knows every Hogwarts secret passage. Or not telling anyone about the map once he knew Harry had it. Really, the whole plot of PoA could have been avoided if Remus told anyone what he knew. I understand why he didn't do it, but it was beyond irresponsible.

#5589 Posted by SocaJunkie (8376 posts) - - Show Bio
#5590 Posted by Michaelbn (2338 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman isn't one of the greatest fighters in DCU and her skills are leagues below the likes of Batman, Redhood, Deathstroke, and Nightwing.

#5591 Edited by TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

OT: Breaking Bad was a bad show, with infuriating characters at times.

@buttersdaman000 said:

He kind of did though. Sam Cook even said if you jus took the style and music of the popular black artist at the time, and give it a white guy you'd have the biggest artist of the century (or something like that). I'm not saying he just blatantly and maliciously stole their music, but imagine someone taking the moonwalk and calling it the moonglide.....what do you call that?? That's basically what Elvis did. If he credited the artist he took "inspiration" from I feel people wouldn't have had as much issue with his style today, but he didn't. Now you have a bunch of people thinking he just "perfected" and "created" that style when that couldn't be further from the truth. It's like when one of those cosmo magazines gave the Kardashians credit for "popularizing/creating" cornrows tf lol

On the subject though, Michael Jackson didn't diddle any kids. The new documentary extremely libelous, and purposely ignores mountains of evidence that absolved MJ of the crimes over a decade ago in favor of unfounded conspiracy theories and suspicion.

The old King of Soul, Sam Cooke - saying if someone took from the black artists back then who was white - that they would be the most popular artists, is him talking about his view of race relations back then and how good they felt about their quality. But it doesn't prove anything, and especially in context of the quote. It wasn't relating to Elvis at all. Nor is that what elvis did. He even took some influences from OUTSIDE of the black areas. He took a little of everything, and yes, some ideas from some blacks - like all artists do from those before their time, and made something new, something unique to him. Maybe not necessarily completely unrelated to listen to from anything else, but something you wouldn't mistake listening to from anyone else.

I never got the people trying to use the Sam Cooke quote as some sort of Elvis "gotcha". No. People want him to have stolen something because it will validate much of their worldview, but in reality, it was no more 'thievery' than just about any artist ever, even black artists mind you, on the influences to build their musical style. It would only ever have been dishonest if he was blatantly taking their entire thing, and declaring it his - which is not what happened, or someone else's musical chords or lyrics, etc, etc - none of which happened. Though he did make a few covers for people. That is what actual theft is in music.

And if someone made a 'moonglide' from moonwalking and it was the same thing they just threw a different name on it (not an relatable thing here) - I would call them stupid, because it isn't what it is called, and they should learn more. It would be that simple. No, that isn't basically what Elvis did at all. Actually listen to some of these great black musicians of that era before Elvis, and then listen to Elvis. I would ask you to do it yourself, but you might have a bit of a confirmation bias there, ask some people in your life that have no idea what is going on in this debate, and see how many people actually believe what they are hearing isn't two very different artists, on a semi-similar type of music.

And I agree, Michael Jackson didn't diddle any kids. That was a media witchunt, and it didn't just effect him - it even effected his sister Janet's career, as I believe it influenced her to be more targeted than Justin Timberlake who largely was ignored in the media given the debacle that was the 2004 superbowl debacle.

You should watch Rageaholic's 2, to 3 part defense of Michael Jackson and breakdown of the entire situation, it was brilliant work. This is the first part:

Loading Video...

#5592 Posted by loyngulpany (2600 posts) - - Show Bio

@quinlan58: Well, to be fair there are a lot of better female singers than Madonna but her dancing makes up for her lack of vocal abilities. She may not be vocally gifted as Whitney or Mariah Carey but she sure can dance, compose and write her own lyrics.

#5593 Edited by Quinlan58 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

@loyngulpany: I'll rate songwriters over singers every day of the week.

I don't particularly rate Madonna, but I do think she's got much more memorable songs than Houston or Carey. And I think the general population would agree that Madonna is/was the better artists. Thus, not an unpopular opinion.

Thread Tax: Despite all the issues with his execution, concept-wise Obito would have been a much better choice of final villain than Madara.

#5594 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio
#5595 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) was an amazing film.

#5596 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

Infinity War was better than Black Panther, and honestly should have won best picture.

#5597 Posted by Straight-Fire (27246 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda is a good game
  • Resident Evil 6 is not that bad
  • Michael Jackson is nowhere near the most talented artist ever

Infinity War was better than Black Panther

That's unpopular?

#5598 Posted by loyngulpany (2600 posts) - - Show Bio
#5599 Posted by loyngulpany (2600 posts) - - Show Bio

@solar_nerd:

Infinity War was better than Black Panther, and honestly should have won best picture.

Is this an unpopular opinion? It's a fact bro. Lol

#5600 Posted by Quinlan58 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I certainly wouldn't call "IW should have won Best Picture" a popular opinion.

Then again, the Academy Awards are worthless. They have historically been worthless, they are currently worthless, and they will continue to be worthless.