#5351 Posted by Aka_aka_aka_ak (2921 posts) - - Show Bio

We should cull 25% of the population

#5352 Edited by HeroUp2112 (18177 posts) - - Show Bio

Speed is not the most important factor in a fist fight.

#5353 Posted by Dernman (25911 posts) - - Show Bio

@heroup2112: This is true. Speed without skill and coordination is nothing.

#5354 Edited by Dernman (25911 posts) - - Show Bio

@aka_aka_aka_ak said:

Only if we start with you. Seriously though culling is strait up villain type of shit. Now if you say control future births that would be more understandable. I don't see that ever happening globally though. It would ethically and morally be walking a very thin line even in the places it is possible.

#5355 Posted by cattlebattle (17641 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like all my opinions are unpopular opinions.

#5356 Posted by Dernman (25911 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: I feel like that sometimes too. The trick is to revel in it instead of letting it get you down.

Either way you have plenty of material for the thread.

#5357 Edited by Aka_aka_aka_ak (2921 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@aka_aka_aka_ak said:

Only if we start with you. Seriously though culling is strait up villain type of shit. Now if you say control future births that would be more understandable. I don't see that ever happening globally though. It would ethically and morally be walking a very thin line even in the places it is possible.

Typical reaction. I thought the point of this thread was to say unpopular opinions without being ridiculed as we otherwise may be. I doubt you've thought it through very much or have any idea how I think we should do it.

"Now if you say control future births that would be more understandable", how is that any more ethical than removing criminals from society?

#5358 Posted by cattlebattle (17641 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@cattlebattle: I feel like that sometimes too. The trick is to revel in it instead of letting it get you down.

I don't let it me get down. I don't really care. I don't think I can post a lot of my opinions about society and politics on here, I would probably get banned.

#5359 Edited by Dernman (25911 posts) - - Show Bio

@aka_aka_aka_ak said:
@dernman said:
@aka_aka_aka_ak said:

Typical reaction. I thought the point of this thread was to say unpopular opinions without being ridiculed as we otherwise may be. I doubt you've thought it through very much or have any idea how I think we should do it.

Wow so soft skinned. I didn't even make fun of you. This is a place to air unpopular opinions yes but that doesn't mean users are not allowed to criticize it.

"Now if you say control future births that would be more understandable", how is that any more ethical than removing criminals from society?

smh I was taking you seriously before but after now I'm having a hard time after reading that. You think killing/culling a bunch of people is anywhere near ethical as birth control?

Edit: for the record you never mentioned criminals. You just said cull the population which most people would think it's about overpopulation problem. It's your failure for not elaborating.

Either way that still has it's own problems.

#5360 Posted by Dernman (25911 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

I don't let it me get down. I don't really care. I don't think I can post a lot of my opinions about society and politics on here, I would probably get banned.

Damn you. Now I'm super curious what those opinions are and it's going to bug me.

#5361 Posted by Dernman (25911 posts) - - Show Bio

People need to stop putting so much worth in was critics say. They're just people with opinions. It's no more valid than anyone else.

#5363 Posted by Aka_aka_aka_ak (2921 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@aka_aka_aka_ak said:
@dernman said:
@aka_aka_aka_ak said:

Wow so soft skinned. I didn't even make fun of you. This is a place to air unpopular opinions yes but that doesn't mean users are not allowed to criticize it.

smh I was taking you seriously before but after now I'm having a hard time after reading that. You think killing/culling a bunch of people is anywhere near ethical as birth control?

Edit: for the record you never mentioned criminals. You just said cull the population which most people would think it's about overpopulation problem. It's your failure for not elaborating.

Either way that still has it's own problems.

I didn't say you made fun of me...

Morality is about suffering. Immediate death causes no suffering, we even put our pets down precisely to end their suffering. The ethical choice is the choice that minimises suffering, I'm convinced removing the bottom (mostly criminals) 25% of the population achieves this. Someone living and then dying is equivalent, for them, to having never existed at all, so I ask again, how is killing them less ethical than controlling future births? I'll give you the answer; we induce suffering in their loved ones, which is why my idea only works if we're really careful and selective with who we remove.

I'm pretty sure capital punishment is legal in 11 states...

"Edit: for the record you never mentioned criminals. You just said cull the population which most people would think it's about overpopulation problem. It's your failure for not elaborating.".. you'd be correct if I were inviting you for a discourse, but you elected to reply before asking for further clarification, so it's your failure for forcing your way into a discourse by replying to a comment not written with you in mind.

#5364 Edited by HeroUp2112 (18177 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@heroup2112: This is true. Speed without skill and coordination is nothing.

As well as sufficient power behind the speedy blows.

#5365 Posted by Luellas (1416 posts) - - Show Bio

@xnahtebx said:
@luellas said:

I really enjoyed the movie Mother!

Right??

It was an interesting wonderfully made movie. Since It didn't do well in the theater, another movie like it won't happen for a long time.

#5366 Posted by xNahtebx (949 posts) - - Show Bio

@luellas said:
@xnahtebx said:
@luellas said:

Right??

It was an interesting wonderfully made movie. Since It didn't do well in the theater, another movie like it won't happen for a long time.

It worked on so many levels for me. Went in blind and had a great time watching it. Well, I say a great time. Probably the closest thing I've ever seen to a panic attack captured on film, in places. Excellent performances, too.

#5367 Edited by Yassassin (7645 posts) - - Show Bio

Current icon aside, I just can't get into Spider-Man. His "Joe Everyman" shtick is so artificial, forced, and it just doesn't logically fit within the character's assets. I feel like someone like Animal Man fits into the Peter's niche for better then he does. And he's soooo whiny.

#5368 Posted by Luellas (1416 posts) - - Show Bio

@xnahtebx said:
@luellas said:
@xnahtebx said:
@luellas said:

Right??

It worked on so many levels for me. Went in blind and had a great time watching it. Well, I say a great time. Probably the closest thing I've ever seen to a panic attack captured on film, in places. Excellent performances, too.

The performances were phenomenal. The weakest overall performance was Jennifer Lawrence, but she did a great job. That just happens when you work with Javier Bardem and Michelle Phieffer. The movie had excellent cinematography with very natural lighting. I can't even complain about the dialogue. Overall, a great movie.

#5369 Edited by Dernman (25911 posts) - - Show Bio

Current icon aside, I just can't get into Spider-Man. His "Joe Everyman" shtick is so artificial, forced, and it just doesn't logically fit within the character's assets. I feel like someone like Animal Man fits into the Peter's niche for better then he does. And he's soooo whiny.

That comes from a misunderstanding of the character and wanking his intelligence by writers because of his popularity. He's suppose to be smart but not super comicbook genius like Stark and Reed. It also comes from the fact the many writers forget his civilian life his half the story..

If you've been though half the shit he's been through I'm sure some person who want to overlook that will accuse you of whining.

#5370 Edited by Dernman (25911 posts) - - Show Bio
  • I don't think Batman and Superman should be best friends.
  • Martian Manhunter's superman type powers should be greatly reduced and the character should focus mainly on his non superman powers.
  • Miss Martian should not be a white Martian. She should be an female from Ireland who got her powers from Martian Manhunter trying to save her life after an indecent involving one of his undercover identities.
  • Even after all this time Cyborg doesn't belong on the JLA.
  • People need to stop with this thing about wanting to power up the characters they like.
  • Mid or low teir should be just as important and being high teir.
  • Batman shouldn't get a happy ending.
  • Non happy ending can be even better than happy endings story wise especially if it fits the character
  • Popularity often has a very negative affect of characters
  • DC doesn't need to shove all their characters on one world. Golden age characters are better suited on their own world.
  • Both Marvel and DC need to reexamine the whole idea of legacies.
#5371 Posted by Quinlan58 (1669 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Why not? From a universe-building perspective, it's either that or making them uneasy allies, and there are only so many times they can work together until the second one starts to feel forced.

#5372 Edited by Dernman (25911 posts) - - Show Bio

@quinlan58: THat's not realistic to say that. THere are some issues that never get solved especially when there is fundamental and valid reason for them. Regardless uneasy allies isn't the only option. Batman and Aquaman are not best friends or uneasy allies and that doesn't seem to be an issue. There is so much middle ground and even further extremes that you can choose from.

#5374 Posted by Quinlan58 (1669 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: But Aquaman is not Superman. I'm not saying that two heroes can only be that, I'm saying that the two pillars on which the DC Universe is built cannot have a regular working relationship, because it's not marketeable. Simply because they are the best selling (OK, Flash is selling more than Superman now, I think, but when the relationships between members of the JL were built that wasn't the case), they will be expected to have significant interactions, and those two are the only meaningful ones (besides plain making them antagonistic, but you have to sell books with both characters as heroes after all).

As for your other points:

Martian Manhunter's superman type powers should be greatly reduced and the character should focus mainly on his non superman powers.

Agreed.

Miss Martian should not be a white Martian. She should be an female from Ireland who got her powers from Martian Manhunter trying to save her life after an indecent involving one of his undercover identities.

... I feel like I'm missing something here.

Even after all this time Cyborg doesn't belong on the JLA.

A shame, but I have hope he'll be better in Justice League Odyssey. Returning to the Titans at this point would be counterproductive for the character, and it's not as if the Titans were in good shape anyway.

People need to stop with this thing about wanting to power up the characters they like.

It's not rational, but it's cool to see.

Mid or low teir should be just as important and being high teir.

Obviously, though it also depends on wether they have a place in the story one wants to tell.

Batman shouldn't get a happy ending.

I'm conflicted on whether the best possible ending for Batman is him getting shot by a nobody or him against all odds managing to survive into retirement and dying peacefully.

Non happy ending can be even better than happy endings story wise especially if it fits the character

Agreed. Neither is necessarily better than the other, it depends on the story one wants to tell.

Popularity often has a very negative affect of characters

It also often means getting the hottest writers and artists.

DC doesn't need to shove all their characters on one world. Golden age characters are better suited on their own world.

I kind of agree. My ideal runs for most DC characters wouldn't make use of any of the larger universe.

Both Marvel and DC need to reexamine the whole idea of legacies.

Yeah, what was meant by it in the 90's and 00's is clearly not applicable anymore.

#5375 Posted by Dernman (25911 posts) - - Show Bio

@quinlan58: But Aquaman is not Superman. I'm not saying that two heroes can only be that, I'm saying that the two pillars on which the DC Universe is built cannot have a regular working relationship, because it's not marketeable.Simply because they are the best selling (OK, Flash is selling more than Superman now, I think, but when the relationships between members of the JL were built that wasn't the case), they will be expected to have significant interactions, and those two are the only meaningful ones (besides plain making them antagonistic, but you have to sell books with both characters as heroes after all).

So? Why would that be any different? The only reasons they're friends is because they're the two most iconic male heroes which is a silly and creative reason too do so. That's the same twisted logic that wanks poula That's not true at all about marketability in fact they don't even need any relationship at all. It's also twisted short sited logic that wanks popular characters to absurdity, trying to make them be everything which dilutes the character not to mention shunting other characters.

It's creatively stifling, shorts sighted and narrow. You know the best relationships in comics have nothing to do with with popularity. Look at Booster Gold and Blue Beetle.The many others. Relationships like that become popular because they were a good fit. Being the two most iconic character should never be a reason. Using iconic as a reason is just forced nonsense.

... I feel like I'm missing something here.

Just a personal opinion and idea I came up with when they were changing history for the N52. I'm fond of the character but I don't like certain aspects so I came up with something I prefer more. I don't expect my opinion to hold any weight on that one. It's just something I want. I'd actually be open to alternatives that change what is.

A shame, but I have hope he'll be better in Justice League Odyssey. Returning to the Titans at this point would be counterproductive for the character, and it's not as if the Titans were in good shape anyway.

I disagree. Him joining the JLA was a mistake that should never have happened and sometimes going back to your roots and getting back on track with what the character is can be the best thing. It also might help the Titans if they do that with them also. Establish Nightwing, Starfire, Raven and best buds Cyborg, Beastboy and the quintessential Titans Team.

Personally I see Cyborgs storied future as running a titans origination that has several teams of team heroes. Where everyone saw it as a Robin that was going to end up doing that its actually Cyborg that steps up and becomes the titans guy.

It's not rational, but it's cool to see.

It is, but it's short sited, and cheap thrill. Personally I've seen it happen so much that now I mostly see the negative impact on the character later on.

Obviously, though it also depends on wether they have a place in the story one wants to tell.

Not every character SHOULD have a place or be relevant in every story. I think I wasn't clear on what my point was. The point I was trying to make was connected with the one above it. Everyone has their favorite character and they all want to keep pushing to make them more powerful or compete with the big guns. Having the mid and lower levers are just as important and interesting as the higher levels. In many cases non high levels are actually more interesting.

I'm conflicted on whether the best possible ending for Batman is him getting shot by a nobody or him against all odds managing to survive into retirement and dying peacefully.

I imagine him growing old, alone, battered from years of conflict after having pushed everyone away with his driven single mindedness and trust issues.

It also often means getting the hottest writers and artists.

and the egos to go with them. Not to mention what's been happening more and more in recent times where they don't care about the mythos. They just disregard it to do their own thing.

I kind of agree. My ideal runs for most DC characters wouldn't make use of any of the larger universe.

Agreed on what you said. Even if certain characters were in the same Earth I would have many of them stay in their own corner.

Yeah, what was meant by it in the 90's and 00's is clearly not applicable anymore.

It's also just too much. How many versions are they going to have? 500 robins? 200 spider people. There comes a point when enough is enough.

Also not all character have a mantle for their legacies and not all legacies have to have the same power.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
#5376 Posted by deactivated-5b84aca03eae8 (6261 posts) - - Show Bio

Gohan should've been the main character of the Dragon Ball franchise after the Cell Saga.

Cell should have been brought back for the Tournament of Power instead of Frieza.

#5377 Posted by Quinlan58 (1669 posts) - - Show Bio

@castiel_18: why bring back Cell? He was by far weaker than Frieza at that point in time.

#5378 Edited by deactivated-5b84aca03eae8 (6261 posts) - - Show Bio

@quinlan58 said:

@castiel_18: why bring back Cell? He was by far weaker than Frieza at that point in time.

The writers could've explained how he became much more powerful on his own, having spent so much time in Hell. This, and Goku could have chose not to invite Tien or Master Roshi as ToP participants, but instead, seek to find someone vastly more powerful than either of them for Team U7. The writers decide that Cell is the best alternative to any of those weak human fighters.

#5379 Posted by Billy Batson (60806 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty stagnant as a character. Feels like you can't do much with the character or at least the creators haven't done since the original Ditko/Lee run.

BB

#5380 Posted by rahiem9123 (1549 posts) - - Show Bio

@castiel_18: This I can agree with hated how Toriyama was forced to shaft Gohan in favor of Goku.

#5381 Posted by Quinlan58 (1669 posts) - - Show Bio

@rahiem9123: That's a fan myth of which we really have no confirmation. Toriyama just said he realized Gohan wasn't an adequate protagonist for his story (paraphrasing) and changed it back to Goku. Of course, that may be just him not wanting to upset his editor, but he didn't exactly write Gohan as a cool person even in the beginning of the Buu saga (I mean, that's my favorite Gohan, but he's a dork), when his popularity was at an all-time high and he could have made the switch.

#5382 Posted by Yassassin (7645 posts) - - Show Bio

Haki ruined One Piece battles.

#5383 Posted by BruceRogers (17188 posts) - - Show Bio

Popular characters should not get married and have children.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#5384 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (24093 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the 2018 adaptation of "Legend Of The Galactic Heroes".

#5385 Posted by Helloman (28624 posts) - - Show Bio

I like most of Marvel's current comics.

#5386 Posted by Straight-Fire (27246 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#5387 Edited by TheAmazingSpidey (17508 posts) - - Show Bio
#5388 Posted by BruceRogers (17188 posts) - - Show Bio

@straight-fire: @theamazingspidey: Kek not really. I just love my heroes to be lone wolves who are arent into settling down.

#5389 Posted by removekebab (3790 posts) - - Show Bio

Democracy is actually terrible

#5390 Posted by deactivated-5b84aca03eae8 (6261 posts) - - Show Bio

A personal God doesn't exist.

#5391 Posted by Quinlan58 (1669 posts) - - Show Bio

Dictatorship is justified sometimes.

#5392 Posted by Aka_aka_aka_ak (2921 posts) - - Show Bio

Is that an unpopular opinion where you're from?!

#5393 Posted by Stan Rodriguez (527 posts) - - Show Bio

Democracy isn't honorable

#5394 Posted by deactivated-5b84aca03eae8 (6261 posts) - - Show Bio
#5395 Edited by Crimson_Lord (2949 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the 2018 adaptation of "Legend Of The Galactic Heroes".

I see your tastes never change. Filthy casual. :P

#5396 Posted by Aka_aka_aka_ak (2921 posts) - - Show Bio

@aka_aka_aka_ak said:
@castiel_18 said:

Yes.

That's a shame, I'm guessing US then, the only place in Western civilisation where that could possibly be true.

#5397 Posted by deactivated-5b84aca03eae8 (6261 posts) - - Show Bio

@castiel_18 said:
@aka_aka_aka_ak said:
@castiel_18 said:

Yes.

That's a shame, I'm guessing US then, the only place in Western civilisation where that could possibly be true.

Yeah lol I'm from the US.

#5398 Posted by rahiem9123 (1549 posts) - - Show Bio
#5399 Posted by Yassassin (7645 posts) - - Show Bio

It's whittling away any genuine creativity from them, leaving yet another mechanic where it's all just a lame tug of war of who has more chakra, or ki, or raitsu, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ae6527167c26
#5400 Posted by deactivated-5ae6527167c26 (2058 posts) - - Show Bio

Goku>Superman

Mace Windu>Sidious

Obama>Regan

The USA isn't that great

Game and 50>Pac and Biggie