• 84 results
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Have you ever wondered whether the person you're talking to is a troll or a rather immature child? I don't mean that as an insult. I mean a literal child. Yes, this site is for people over 13, but some parents don't watch their kids. A third option is that the other is. perhaps, mentally handicap in some way.

I think most of the trolls we come across are adults with no life who just want to irritate others for no reason other than to make themselves feel good. But I'll admit: a small part of me wonders who it is I'm talking to. In real life, I know who I'm talking to. I'm nice to kids and polite to the parents (unless the parents are idiots. In which case I'm nice to the kids and will correct the parents.... politely). I'm nice to friends and colleagues, but I customize my speech to those I'm with. On the internet, I have no idea who's on the other end of the screen, and so I treat everybody that I don't know equally. Those that see me around and don't completely know me see me as stern and serious. I'm not completely different in real life, but those that know me know that I actually am a nice guy (on the internet and real life). I will admit, however: I wonder if, one day, I'll get an angry message from some poster's mom telling me not to "be mean" to their kid. Now I never try to be mean - I'm just truthfully blunt in my choice of words.

This isn't targeted at anyone. It's just something that's been on my mind. And please let's not start a flame war (I'd rather not get it locked, thanks). I want a civil discussion on this. The topic is more or less about forum etiquette and / or how we interact with those that are... incorrect or ignorant or immature - and no, I'm not preaching or trying to tell you what to do. It's just a topic I felt like bringing up.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

does anyone remember Daniel Spengies???  worst troll ever

OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By OmegaDynasty

Trolls will come and trolls will go. Tis life. 

Avatar image for deactivated-asdf987sdf
deactivated-asdf987sdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

on most occasions, i'd have to say neither. just people with opinions differing from our own and without the ability to articulate what they are really feeling.

coSmic_cUbeR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By coSmic_cUbeR

I can not say I am one or not one, I have not run into any respected users stating me as a troll so I believe I am not one.

Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Silver2467

There have been some trolls I thought for sure were below the age of 12. Now, I never could conclude that with any real fact behind it, but it has been surmised by their sentence structure and maturity (or rather their lack thereof). Other trolls, they may be adults, but that does not make them mature. 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator

I categorize it more like this, the naive, the entitled, the bored and the silly.  

The entitled are the worse in my opinion, because they should know better. You think that might be sarcastic when they start telling you how comic writers, comic companies, women, old people, young people ruined their lives and need to die or something, then your like... ah a troll, but then you realize they are serious, just really entitled. lol 'Old; comic fans, people etc are usually the ones that fall into this category. Things were better in the 80's and 90's before Joe Q strapped on a... 'Ultimate Nullifier' and 'Nullified' the Sweaty socks off Marvel company. 

Naive people can be relentless. They can't make the distinction between opinion and fact, subjectivity and objectivity and can be prone to taking things personally. Anything they see offensive to their understanding of things, they take personally. You have your own thoughts about a particular character, they disagree and they stalk you. It must be a fact that their opinion is right. You think they might be a troll... then you realize they are really serious that Wolverines claws can't be broken by say the TOAA because they looked up unbreakable in the dictionary and don't understand context or how the english language works. Naive people can be nice though. Or alternatively kids. Kids are generally naive.  

The bored are bored and its funny seeing people get worked up. Bored people usually get bored fast though and leave, or are too obvious. Or they get denied by savvy posters who realize what they are doing so give smart ass comments. These posters have low post counts and post repeat threads. We already discussed Batman being gay with Robin on the internet back in 2005 and that joke was already old back then too. Now days its about about inter company X-Overs =D These guys are harmless, unless they are really bored, and with homophobic, or racist tendencies, then they are dicks. 

The silly... uhm, I don't know many of these posters *cough*, its not quite entitlement or naivety, or boredom that make them seek to well post in ways that may bother or annoy others... usually intent is pure, and it might be taken advantage of someone else but not directly... these posters you can't kill with fire and are often on at nights because the Night Time is the Right time. Radio X!!! Is the Allllttteeernative!  These guys might get annoying, but they are silly. You shouldn't be angry at the silly. They can't help it. 

Trolls I maintain only have power if you give them power. Trolls are only able to be Trolls if you tell them to build a bridge and get over it, cause they build a bridge alright and then they metaphorically take up skirt pictures of you even if your wearing pants! Better to let the trolls know you actually have many troll friends, because everyone knows a young new fresh troll is a friendless virgin who wants people to care about them but doesn't know how, and you can offer them that, friendship, or impassiveness, and then they follow you, right to the Troll Eating Dragon you kept outside your castle. Then you smile, and say Sic Em Albi, (I named my dragon Albi but he ain't racist) 

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@SC said:
" I categorize it more like this, the naive, the entitled, the bored and the silly.  

The entitled are the worse in my opinion, because they should know better. You think that might be sarcastic when they start telling you how comic writers, comic companies, women, old people, young people ruined their lives and need to die or something, then your like... ah a troll, but then you realize they are serious, just really entitled. lol 'Old; comic fans, people etc are usually the ones that fall into this category. Things were better in the 80's and 90's before Joe Q strapped on a... 'Ultimate Nullifier' and 'Nullified' the Sweaty socks off Marvel company. 

I'm not a troll, but I'm serious when I say that Brian Bendis should be killed for Siege.
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator
@FadeToBlackBolt said:

" @SC said:

" I categorize it more like this, the naive, the entitled, the bored and the silly.  

I'm not a troll, but I'm serious when I say that Brian Bendis should be killed for Siege. "

lol sometimes the entitled are fully valid and in the right, and have impunity to to seek righting a wrong. ^_^
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@SC: Nice save ;)
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SC  Moderator
@FadeToBlackBolt said:

" @SC: Nice save ;) "

Its actually a funny point your brought up though, cause Bendis trolls his detractors and some characters often too in the actual comics... I few weeks back in one of those Avenger back ups, and poor D-Man, and Echo! Why would he troll Echo in New Avengers. Plus he made a "haha" about how he would kill Alpha Flight again now they are back and getting a new book. I was pissed when they died the first time. >.> 

Is Bendis a troll though, or just an old looking bald 8 year old kid though? lol
lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By lagoon_boy
 I was a troll...oh..the road of trollogy kept me from reality! It blinded me that Deadpool can actually be beaten! That was dark times in the web life..dark times.
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@SC said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:

" @SC: Nice save ;) "

Its actually a funny point your brought up though, cause Bendis trolls his detractors and some characters often too in the actual comics... I few weeks back in one of those Avenger back ups, and poor D-Man, and Echo! Why would he troll Echo in New Avengers. Plus he made a "haha" about how he would kill Alpha Flight again now they are back and getting a new book. I was pissed when they died the first time. >.>  Is Bendis a troll though, or just an old looking bald 8 year old kid though? lol "
I think he's just an idiot who thinks he's a lot more clever than he is.
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Billy Batson

hmmm

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By nefarious

Who is the worst troll that this site has had?

FLCL1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FLCL1
@Nefarious said:
"Who is the worst troll that this site has had? "

klancair and rbystsi
FLCL1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FLCL1

all trolls are immature kids 
all immature kids are trolls
Starkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Starkin
@FLCL1 said:
" @Nefarious said:
klancair and rbystsi "
Nowhere close to being the worse this site has seen.
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nefarious
@FLCL1: Ah, I see. =/
FLCL1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FLCL1
@ Starkin said:
" @FLCL1 said:
" @Nefarious said:
klancair and rbystsi "
Nowhere close to being the worse this site has seen. "

i beg to differ but out of curiousity in your opinion who?
Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#22  Edited By Dracade102

They're both equally as unpleasant.

TheCerealKillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheCerealKillz

I was once a DBZ Lover.....Not a troll, just believed that Goku could beat Superman.... 

Oh, how I've changed......

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nefarious

How about that guy, "WolverinePWNZ"? I saw that thread where he was calling Morpheus and others trolls...

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

This wasn't meant to be actually talking about trolls. I was asking whether the thought ever crossed your mind that it could be a kid or somebody mentally challenged rather than an outright troll intending to cause trouble. Or that the kid might actually believe what he's saying.

I gave my opinion on that. I won't change my behavior unless I know for certain what category they're in (even then I can never be 100%)

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nefarious
@Edamame: I hope that never happens again. lol 

@JediXMan: Oh, sorry about that. I think 95% of the time, it is either someone that craves for recognition or just someone that just loves to cause chaos on the internet. For a troll that is mentally challenged, no one will know that. 
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@Nefarious: 

95% of the time, yes that's probably true. Still, occasionally I do wonder.
CaptinAwesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CaptinAwesome
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nefarious
@JediXMan: Yes, the fact that a lot of the time...trolls are kids..but even that is debatable since trolls come in different age groups. I mean, some  trolls that I have seen on Youtube are fully grown adults and teens, of course. You know what they do. 
Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Green Skin

I always wonder if some trolls are just foreigners, and the language gap is what's making them annoying.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@Nefarious said:
" @JediXMan: Yes, the fact that a lot of the time...trolls are kids..but even that is debatable since trolls come in different age groups. I mean, some  trolls that I have seen on Youtube are fully grown adults and teens, of course. You know what they do.  "
That's generally true. Trolls generally are teens and adults.

What I always wonder is why all trolls have bad grammar. Are they trying to make people think they're kids? Of course, the vast majority of people on the internet never heard of a shift key or punctuation marks.
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nefarious
@JediXMan: Well, there are numerous reasons to this case such as...you have trolls that are functionally illiterate or they usually use slang in their comments. Most likely, they could be trying to deceive people into thinking they are kids...so they can fit within that certain age group...basically, descending from their true level, of course...all of that could go in many directions.  

The majority of the trolls that don't use the shift key or punctuation marks...could either be typing so fast that they don't feel like using those keys or it could be laziness. Trolls have their silly reasons.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
@Nefarious: 

True. Okay, I agree.

I, personally, never make fun of another person's grammatical or spelling errors. The only time I do that is if somebody nitpicks on my posts (I don't read through them before I post. But I do try to maintain good grammar and I'll fix something if I notice it) or somebody else's posts.
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By nefarious
@JediXMan: Mean either, it is pointless behavior. Normally, I would not feed the troll...but if he/she continues to blabber about nonsense...I, too, respond with the correct grammar, just like you do and fix any mistakes or others'. But, I would just stay calm in my post..and not let the troll get the best of me. Show that you are the mature individual in the conversation who is educated.   
MrDevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MrDevil

I'm immature and childish what can i do is part of my charm, people like to call me troll just because they don't agree with me, but

after all

and

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By MasterKungFu

so how old is the oldest viner?

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SHHHH!!

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Talk about a necrobump...

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@jedixman: I am a 13 year old kid, maybe I troll every now and then. But, I guarantee you that, you won't get an angry PM from any of my parents. :-D

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

@rocketraccoonthingy: You're 13?? That's the last time I buy you and your friends alcohol again! Also, no! You can't have my sister's phone number!

I'm just playing. Her number is (855) 633-4226. Tell her you like Cable.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@neghead said:

@rocketraccoonthingy: You're 13?? That's the last time I buy you and your friends alcohol again! Also, no! You can't have my sister's phone number!

I'm just playing. Her number is (855) 633-4226. Tell her you like Cable.

Yes I am.

*starts calling your sister

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
deactivated-5cecb3b554104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 14

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me it's pretty obvious when someone is just mentally slow, I know a few people like that on here. Most others are just kids, there is a very small handful of people who I consider adults who troll, I think usually they are just bored.

What I am even talking about .. Need breakfeast.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae said:

To me it's pretty obvious when someone is just mentally slow, I know a few people like that on here. Most others are just kids, there is a very small handful of people who I consider adults who troll, I think usually they are just bored.

In which category am i?

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rouflex said:
@bruxae said:

In which category am i?

Well, if you asked me half a year ago i'd say a kid, but strangely you've been acting more mature then most on here lately. So I guess i'd call you a young adult.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae said:
@rouflex said:
@bruxae said:

In which category am i?

Well, if you asked me half a year ago i'd say a kid, but strangely you've been acting more mature then most on here lately. So I guess i'd call you a young adult.

The Meanie viner is starting to adore me... Victory is near!

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rouflex said:
@bruxae said:
@rouflex said:
@bruxae said:

In which category am i?

The Meanie viner is starting to adore me... Victory is near!

Hey, I've always had a secret crush on your I thought I told you. That's why I was mean, like a boy pulling a girls hair in kindergarten to get her attention.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Kinda weird a mod (Who wasn't a mod at the time) made this thread.....