• 64 results
black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 109

Edited By black_wreath

I assumed the 90's were my favourite period in film but, looking back, the 70's comes alarmingly close. This was truly a creative time.

Horror renaissance, how I love you. I kept away from most of the exploitation films I love, as my blogs are tasteful... >.>

I noticed how many movies from the 70's got remade, let's keep tabs on that shall we? ^_^

10. Lady Snowblood

No Caption Provided

For a movie few people in the West seem to have seen, Lady Snowblood has had a pretty huge impact on pop culture from Tarantino to Soul Calibur, constant references seem to pop up. I highly recommend the original film which deals with Yuki's personal (bloodbathed) vendetta against those murdered her father and raped her mother. I find the politically-themed sequel however, to be considerably weaker and unnecessary.

Best part: Revenge, served cold. ^_^

This movie was later remade under the titles of Kill Bill and The Princess Blade - the latter, I believe, is underrated.

9. Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes

No Caption Provided

The Apes franchise did pretty well for itself considering each one was intended to be the last (they even managed to continue the story after the entire planet in the title exploded) and this one would have to be the peak of the sequels. The darkest and most action packed of original five is definitely worth a look, Ape power!

Best part: Roddy McDowall's performance is so electrifying at the finale he actually makes you forget he's essentially a guy in a monkey suit.

This movie was later remade under the title of Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

8. Eraserhead

No Caption Provided

Is it weird that I find this cornucopia of watthefukkery so relatable? Do you? Do you feel mind-numbing drudgery of mundanity closing in on you - I do and I feel it obscuring my perception of reality, the mere thought of extending my seed horrifies me and I believe it should horrify more people. All I see is abomination. Also, ever since I was a child I've had a fear of losing parts of my body at random. At least that's what I got from it...

Best part: Baby gets unwrapped. Grotesque is too kind a word.

Umm it's entirely possible this movie was remade with someone's interpretation of it in mind...

7. Blazing Saddles

No Caption Provided

Mel Brooks' middle finger to racism and love letter to the fart joke has aged mostly well and still contains some of the funniest moments of the decade. Harvey Korman's Hedley (that's Hedley not Hedy) Lamarr has what must greatest choice of last words in cinema history. XD

Best part: The batsh*t insane finale, which will have you pondering the reality of this movie's universe...

This movie is being remade. As a Broadway musical.

6. Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory

No Caption Provided

By far the most disturbing entry on this list, the plot of this macabre masterpiece involves a psychopathic genius luring children and parents into his sadistic house of death traps designed to test his victims in ways that would surely result in death or permanent body mutilation. Has some catchy tunes.

Best part: Many people in the 70's went to the movies after taking LSD, this is the only explanation I can think of for the inclusion of the scary tunnel scene in this film... And yeah it's the best part. ^_^

This movie was later remade under the title of Saw II.

5. The Wicker Man

No Caption Provided

The repression of Christianity and vibrancy of Paganism rarely coexist well and - spoiler alert - they don't in this, though they do share one thing in common: both their gods fail us as evidenced in this: "the Citizen Kane of Horror". Lord Summerisle is an awesome character and the late, great (actually great is an understatement) Christopher Lee's all-time favourite role. It is very sad he died before he had the chance to truly reprise it (I don't count The Wicker Tree and neither did Sir Lee).

Best part: Let the motherf**ker burn. Burn motherf**ker, burn.

This movie was never remade. Ever!

4. Carrie

No Caption Provided

The tragedy of Creepy Carrie is that she might've been something akin to that of a superhero, until they made her a villain - the path chosen for her well before she earned her status of lifetime outcast. As sympathetic as she is, she is the villain and knows it, hence why she sends herself to the prayer closet to be punished just as Mama would. Play nice, kids.

Best part: Let the motherf**kers burn. Burn motherf**kers, burn.

This movie was later remade. Literally. Like, practically shot for shot..

3. The Exorcist

No Caption Provided

What can you write about this that hasn't be written before? Probably nothing so I'll leave it with the fact that it's clearly more than just a game of spot-the-faces.

Best part: Tubular Bells.

This movie was never remade. Because not even Platinum Dunes have the yarbles to try.

2. Fist Of Fury

No Caption Provided

One of the best contributions Bruce Lee made to film was severely reducing the amount of cuts within fight scenes, he argued that audiences would rather see the whole movements. Sadly Bruce's lessons are being forgotten and we're seeing a return of the close up: fist-close up: facial reaction-close up arm twist... Apparently this is supposed to make us feel "part of the fight" or something, as if modern action directors know better than the Dragon - they don't. This how it's supposed to be done. Ignore those two manikins.

Best part: Bruce Lee is a one man dojo.

This movie was later remade under the title Fist of Legend.

Trivia: the character Chen Zhen has been played by Jet Li and Donny Yen. Jackie Chan has played Cheng Long, Chen Zhen's successor. Evidently Chen Zhen > James Bond.

1. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

No Caption Provided

Four decades on, the original Buzz still remains one of the most visceral, pulsating slashers of the grindhouse era. Its atmosphere is so morbid, rotten and putrid that it more than makes up for the lack of actual onscreen blood (Hooper, bless him, thought he could get a PG rating). It makes my number one as much for being the greatest slasher ever as it does for the statement it makes, informing you what you don't needto make a masterpiece:

• Experienced cast and crew
  • A budget
  • The best equipment
  • Concern for safety
  • Humane working conditions
  • Law-abiding distribution
  • Correct spelling in the title (it is generally accepted that "Chain Saw" is one word)

Best part: Leatherface makes his entrance, whomps Kirk with a hammer and quickly shuts the door on us. What he then does behind that door is left to our imaginations...

This movie was later remade spawning a huge trend in horror remakes that only just now seems to be winding down...

Honourable mentions:

• Suspiria
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Jaws
  • Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom
  • Apocalypse Now
  • Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  • Phantasm
  • One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest
  • Soylent Green
  • Patrick

Previous lists:

Thedarkpaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Carrie is definitely a favorite.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carrie is definitely a favorite.

Truly an affecting film, Sissy is awesome.

Thanks for commenting. ^_^

Thedarkpaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Yeah, and one of John Travolta's first movies.

No problem.;)

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I love Eraserhead. A truly surreal, morbid tale that's somehow very human. The scene where the woman person comes out of the dark singing the heaven song made me scream and jump like two meters across my room. Truly terrifying.

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not even a mention for The Godfather? D:

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Awesome list! I watched Lady Snowblood a few weeks ago and enjoyed the hell out of it.

It's not very original or diverse, but here's my top 10:

Taxi Driver

The French Connection

A Clockwork Orange

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Chinatown

Apocalypse Now

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance

The Godfather Part 2

Halloween

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Eraserhead. A truly surreal, morbid tale that's somehow very human. The scene where the woman person comes out of the dark singing the heaven song made me scream and jump like two meters across my room. Truly terrifying.

I know, right? It left me with a very cold feeling, it was like "this is me, and I don't like that..." skin crawling. XD

Not even a mention for The Godfather? D:

Oh my god...

I forgot about Caligula! :O

^_^

But in reality I do like The Godfather (I don't think the second one is better unlike most people) but to get it on the list I'd would have to remove another. I was unwilling to do this.

But thanks for commenting. ^_^

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

Awesome list! I watched Lady Snowblood a few weeks ago and enjoyed the hell out of it.

It's not very original or diverse, but here's my top 10:

Taxi Driver

The French Connection

A Clockwork Orange

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Chinatown

Apocalypse Now

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance

The Godfather Part 2

Halloween

That's a great list, I love all those except I haven't seen any Lone Wolf and Cubs or (believe it or not) The French Connection. Nice to see Holy Grail there, I re-watched it the other night, nearly pissed my pants. XD

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few of those I thought were eighties movies. (Carrie and The Exorcist. Whoops.)

Star Wars anyone?

Rocky?

Big ticks for me so far are..

• Monty Python and the Holy Grail
  • One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest
  • Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance
  • Willy Wonka

Most of the rest I havent seen or was too young to apreciate.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By black_wreath

@spareheadone: I'm not a huge fan of Star Wars or Rocky, I don't dislike them I just don't seem to love them as much as many others do. I prefer to highlight films I consider underappreciated as well as popular ones.

Seems I really need to watch Lone Wolf and Cub...

Thank you for reading and commenting. ^_^

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath

I could tell that you wouldn't be a fan.

But dont worry lone wolf and cub is full of the stuff you seem to like, one of the many that wouldve inspired Tarantino.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By black_wreath

@spareheadone: Well I haven't seen a Japanese film I didn't like yet (excluding some Showa era Godzilla). ^_^

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Man Who Fell To Earth(1976) is one of my favorite films ever.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Awesome list Mr. Meanie bum.

I haven't seen any of these, at least the original one but the list seem cool. I have seen the remake of 2 of these movies, The Wicker Man and Carrie, and I loved both of them. Dark, psychological and a bit on the crazy side, that's always been the kind of movie I like.

You might be the meaniest there is but you do seem to have very good choice in movies ^_^

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Man Who Fell To Earth(1976) is one of my favorite films ever.

David Bowie right? I'd like to see that one.

Thanks for the comment. :)

Awesome list Mr. Meanie bum.

I haven't seen any of these, at least the original one but the list seem cool. I have seen the remake of 2 of these movies, The Wicker Man and Carrie, and I loved both of them. Dark, psychological and a bit on the crazy side, that's always been the kind of movie I like.

You might be the meaniest there is but you do seem to have very good choice in movies ^_^

Wait, wait, wait... Ignoring the fact you actually complemented me on something I said... You liked The Wicker Man remake? The one with Nic Cage? With the bees and woman-bashing bear? O_O ...Remarkable.

The Carrie remake is adequate, there's nothing really wrong with it. It just felt kinda blah to me because it was basically the exact same movie but with a less believable Carrie. You should watch the classic version. Sissy Spacek > Chloe Grace Moretz (as Carrie White)

If you like "Dark, psychological and a bit on the crazy side" look for Eraserhead, I can think of no movie that fits the description better. Unless you're pregnant.

You won't know how good this list is til you watch all these, what are you waiting for? Go, go, go!

...Seriously? Everyone's seen Willy Wonka! O_O

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Claymore1998

@black_wreath: Hehehe that was more of a slip of my keyboard. I was trying to say your list is mean, your choices are mean, and you are the meaniest there is. The keyboard just slipped and my fingers, by mistake, went over all the wrong keys. I am not lying, with god as my withness if anything I said is a lie let it be known by having your third and forth eye disintegrate instantly.

*waits for the pop sounds*

O_o that was a sheer co-incident. I take no responsibility hehe :p

Also @johnfrank120 will tell you how much my choices in regards to movies suck :p No wonder you did not like the remakes that I liked. I tend to like everything =(

Will watch Eraserhead, once I am done with my studies on November 2nd. I've seen another movie that, in my opinion, fits my description perfectly. Its called Donnie Darko. Have you seen it? Given your choices for the movies perhaps you might like it too.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

No Alien?

Weak.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Hehehe that was more of a slip of my keyboard. I was trying to say your list is mean, your choices are mean, and you are the meaniest there is. The keyboard just slipped and my fingers, by mistake, went over all the wrong keys. I am not lying, with god as my withness if anything I said is a lie let it be known by having your third and forth eye disintegrate instantly.

*waits for the pop sounds*

O_o that was a sheer co-incident. I take no responsibility hehe :p

Also @johnfrank120 will tell you how much my choices in regards to movies suck :p No wonder you did not like the remakes that I liked. I tend to like everything =(

Will watch Eraserhead, once I am done with my studies on November 2nd. I've seen another movie that, in my opinion, fits my description perfectly. Its called Donnie Darko. Have you seen it? Given your choices for the movies perhaps you might like it too.

Silly me, of course that was a typo... -_-

I started Donnie Darko several years ago, I ...still need to finish it...

No Alien?

Weak.

I can't watch Alien anymore, all I keep thinking now is penis, penis, vagina, womb, penis, hmm what sex organ does that thing represent? It's distracting.

But I do still like it best out of the franchise.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Hehe I am pretty sure the movie is not intended to take several years to watch. Also the ending might genuinely surprised you. Its one of those wait what... oh that's what it was all about.. wait hang on a second did that happen or was it a dream.. I am so confused O_o.. kind of an ending.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998: I will add it onto my list and report my thoughts. Granted that you haven't just spoiled it of course. ^_^

If you haven't seen these, maybe check out my other lists at the bottom of the OP, hmm? >.>

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Welll I've pretty much done all the other lists, so guess I'll give this one ago as well but as always wont be in order and might not be a perfect ten.

Chinatown (Numba one actually)

One Flew over The Cuckoos Nest

Star Wars (New Hope)

Wicker Man

Paper Moon

Halloween

Young Frankenstein

The French Connection

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasss Song (Most hilarious thing I ever saw, me and my uncle came up with the term "He screws, he moves, he eats beef stew")

Night of the Lepus (Heheheheheh)

Network

Life of Brian

Alien

The Jerk

Ondskapt666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Ondskapt666

Here is my top 10 favorite 70's films. (Not in any order)

1. The Godfather
  2. Jaws
  3. The Exorcist
  4. Billy Jack
  5. Halloween
  6. Mad Max
  7. The Warriors
  8. Escape from Alcatraz
  9. Dracula
  10. The Amityville Horror

Honorable mentions:

1. Soylent Green
  2. Rocky
  3. A Clockwork Orange
  4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  5. The Deer Hunter
  6. Taxi Driver
  7. The Omen
  8. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
  9. Dawn of the Dead
  10. Enter the Dragon
  11. Harold and Maude
  12. Slap Shot
  13. Phantasm
  14. Drunken Master
  15. The Gauntlet
  16. The Food of the Gods
  17. Patton
  18. Tales from the Crypt
  19. The Dunwich Horror
  20. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

I know I'm missing a lot....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

solid list it wont please everybody but I was glad to see bruce lee on it

Avatar image for deactivated-579e79a09210d
deactivated-579e79a09210d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Deliverance

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By black_wreath

Welll I've pretty much done all the other lists, so guess I'll give this one ago as well but as always wont be in order and might not be a perfect ten.

Chinatown (Numba one actually)

One Flew over The Cuckoos Nest

Star Wars (New Hope)

Wicker Man

Paper Moon

Halloween

Young Frankenstein

The French Connection

Sweet Sweetback's Baadasss Song (Most hilarious thing I ever saw, me and my uncle came up with the term "He screws, he moves, he eats beef stew")

Night of the Lepus (Heheheheheh)

Network

Life of Brian

Alien

The Jerk

Thankyou sir, I love those ones except for the couple I haven't seen ^_^

It's always a perfect ten if it's an honest ten.

Here is my top 10 favorite 70's films. (Not in any order)

1. The Godfather
  2. Jaws
  3. The Exorcist
  4. Billy Jack
  5. Halloween
  6. Mad Max
  7. The Warriors
  8. Escape from Alcatraz
  9. Dracula
  10. The Amityville Horror

Honorable mentions:

1. Soylent Green
  2. Rocky
  3. A Clockwork Orange
  4. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  5. The Deer Hunter
  6. Taxi Driver
  7. The Omen
  8. Invasion of the Body Snatchers
  9. Dawn of the Dead
  10. Enter the Dragon
  11. Harold and Maude
  12. Slap Shot
  13. Phantasm
  14. Drunken Master
  15. The Gauntlet
  16. The Food of the Gods
  17. Patton
  18. Tales from the Crypt
  19. The Dunwich Horror
  20. Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory

I know I'm missing a lot....

There's a couple I've not seen but other than that: another awesome collection. Thank you, man. ^_^

@98115 said:

solid list it wont please everybody but I was glad to see bruce lee on it

Eh people don't need me to validate their love, I'm just writing about my own love. Bruce deserves it!

As always thanks for the comment and not lynching me. ^_^

Deliverance

Ha Deliverance got bumped off at the last second for Patrick. ^_^

Thanks for commenting.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998: Your taste is terrible and you should accept it. It is the truth.

@black_wreath: I'm passing the mantle to you to mug off claymore and @dboyrules2011 about their tastes as I'm afraid I have to leave the vine.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No offence as obviously everyone has their own opinions, but that's a piss poor list in mine. There's like 3 movies that belong.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No offence as obviously everyone has their own opinions, but that's a piss poor list in mine. There's like 3 movies that belong.

And what is yours?

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..........no Star Wars?.......

Blasphemy!

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..........no Star Wars?.......

Blasphemy!

Not a Star Wars fan sorry. :)

But thankfully I haven't had to apologise for that fact as much as I thought I would.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paragonnate: Fine if it means that much to you I'll add Star Wars...

...Holiday Special. ^_^

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: I mean I guess I get it if sci-fi isn't your thing then it wouldn't make the top ten, but not even an honorable mention? Now that's just straight up heathen blasphemy.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paragonnate: The Godfather part I and II, The Taxi Driver, Halloween, Deliverance, Alien, Close Encounters, Dirty Harry and The Deer Hunter were all in the Honourables at one point and all got bumped out. I like all those movies but I also like to celebrate underdogs and, sorry sir, but Star Wars ain't be no underdog. ;)

I like sci-fi, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, A Clockwork Orange and Soylent Green all got mentioned and Logan's Run, Close Encounters and Alien almost did, so not a genre thing. I just never clicked with Star Wars the same way others did, I watched them all once, liked half of them and thought Vader was cool but never felt the need to go back a second time.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ParagonNate

@black_wreath: well ato least you've seen them, I've met people who haven't seen them and worse people WHO HAVE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF STAR WARS.........aaaaaaargghhh the pain!

I mentioned to some lady at work that they were making episode seven and how I was excited and she asked me if it was a TV show that got cacelled.

Another time some lady asked what a droid was.

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Honestly I couldn't tell you without taking a good long think about it, as you said yourself it was a great decade of film.

Off the top of my head:

1. Alien

2. Star Wars

3. The Godfather II

4. The Godfather

5. Apocalypse Now

6. Taxi Driver

7. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

8. The Wicker Man

9. Jaws

10. Mad Max

The main problem with your list is I'm not such a fan of horror films, but I do think there are other films that belong above your choices.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: well ato least you've seen them, I've met people who haven't seen them and worse people WHO HAVE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF STAR WARS.........aaaaaaargghhh the pain!

I mentioned to some lady at work that they were making episode seven and how I was excited and she asked me if it was a TV show that got cacelled.

Another time some lady asked what a droid was.

Reminds me of a friend in my kitchen who's a huge fan of Firefly, the Avengers films and had seen all of Dollhouse. I brought up Buffy, he'd never heard of it before.

@black_wreath: Honestly I couldn't tell you without taking a good long think about it, as you said yourself it was a great decade of film.

Off the top of my head:

1. Alien

2. Star Wars

3. The Godfather II

4. The Godfather

5. Apocalypse Now

6. Taxi Driver

7. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

8. The Wicker Man

9. Jaws

10. Mad Max

The main problem with your list is I'm not such a fan of horror films, but I do think there are other films that belong above your choices.

It was the greatest decade for horror, I usually try my best to present a varied list but we horror fans believe those years are to be idolised. ^_^

This a personalised list on a subjective topic, if it was any different I'd be lying or bowing to popular opinion. To just copy and paste the imdb/rottentomatoes top 10 would make it redundant, I thought hard about what I felt the list should be - it took a week to create it.

Also, I like your list. Star Wars is only thing there I didn't at least consider including.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By albusan

In no order:

Rocky

I spit on your Grave

Salo, or 120 Days of Sodom

Deliverance

Pink Flamingos

Halloween

Watership Down

Cannibal Holocaust

Superman

The Castle of Cagliostro

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_wreath: Yea that's fair enough, tbf most of my list are probably in the top 20 on those sites but I don't wanna choose others because of that.

Tbh I'm not even sure that'd be my list, as I said it was just off the top of my head. But Alien would definitely be top and Star Wars second.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

In no order:

Rocky

I spit on your Grave

Salo, or 120 Days of Sodom

Deliverance

Pink Flamingos

Halloween

Watership Down

Cannibal Holocaust

Superman

The Castle of Cagliostro

Unofficially, I think this is the best one. Unofficially. >.>

@black_wreath: Yea that's fair enough, tbf most of my list are probably in the top 20 on those sites but I don't wanna choose others because of that.

Tbh I'm not even sure that'd be my list, as I said it was just off the top of my head. But Alien would definitely be top and Star Wars second.

When it comes down to Dark City or The Matrix - two similar movies I love equally, I go with the one that needs the love more. ;)

Stevens61310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some really good movies here. Some that I think are average--Star Wars. Some I never could see the allure of--Rocky. I have never been a fan of martial arts films but I do understand the influence of Bruce Lee. Some that I have heard of but don't sound enticing at all--Eraserhead.

One of my absolute favorite films of the 70s is The Outlaw Josey Wales. Great film. Not only is a great Western with nice comedic lines thrown in but it skewers the perception of the average Native-American, takes a nasty bite out of bigotry and racism, and redefines the definition of family. Interesting film -- all in all

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some really good movies here. Some that I think are average--Star Wars. Some I never could see the allure of--Rocky. I have never been a fan of martial arts films but I do understand the influence of Bruce Lee. Some that I have heard of but don't sound enticing at all--Eraserhead.

One of my absolute favorite films of the 70s is The Outlaw Josey Wales. Great film. Not only is a great Western with nice comedic lines thrown in but it skewers the perception of the average Native-American, takes a nasty bite out of bigotry and racism, and redefines the definition of family. Interesting film -- all in all

Eraserhead certainly isn't for everyone, actually it's probably for very few people. That movie does sound interesting, I don't watch many westerns but I did love Unforgiven and intend to give The Searchers a go, I'll see if I can find that one.

And thanks for commenting. ^_^

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well. Holy shit. Someone who actually gave Lady Snowblood its due.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By black_wreath

@ms-lola said:

Well. Holy shit. Someone who actually gave Lady Snowblood its due.

Oh come now, Quentin thought enough of it to completely rip it off give it his trademark homage treatment. ^_^

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By silent_bomber

My favourites listed are Carrie and the Wicker Man. Carrie (and Blowout) very much got me interested in checking out classic movies when I originally saw it, and I immediately started out by building a collection of Brian De Palma films.

My favourites from the 70s not mentioned are

• Dog Day Afternoon
  • Don't Look Now
  • Midnight Express
  • Bugsy Mallone
  • Dawn of the Dead
  • Westworld
  • Suspiria
  • Walkabout
  • The Taking of Pelham 123
  • Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger

someone mentioned Network earlier, that's a pretty interesting movie

I also like the Tales From the Crypt film (actually I prefer Amicus horror to Hammer horror in general tbh).

Avatar image for deactivated-5a853424245e3
deactivated-5a853424245e3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always preferred Enter the Dragon to Lee's other films, not to say that I don't enjoy them all of course.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My favourites listed are Carrie and the Wicker Man. Carrie (and Blowout) very much got me interested in checking out classic movies when I originally saw it, and I immediately started out by building a collection of Brian De Palma films.

My favourites from the 70s not mentioned are

• Dog Day Afternoon
  • Don't Look Now
  • Midnight Express
  • Bugsy Mallone
  • Dawn of the Dead
  • Westworld
  • Suspiria
  • Walkabout
  • The Taking of Pelham 123
  • Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger

someone mentioned Network earlier, that's a pretty interesting movie

I also like the Tales From the Crypt film (actually I prefer Amicus horror to Hammer horror in general tbh).

I've been meaning to watch Network for years now, there are a few movies there I want to see.

Except Bugsy Malone. No way. Never!

I've always preferred Enter the Dragon to Lee's other films, not to say that I don't enjoy them all of course.

It's between them for me, I prefer Fist of Fury as it's more pure HK style to Dragon's Hollywood.