Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Anyone succeded?

How?

How do you stop thinking about cigarettes 24/7?

Are you happy you Quit?

Does life really improve?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Why not introduce some kind of punishment/forfeit you have to do every time you have a cigarette? Maybe it would put you off smoking so often if you know you have to do something you don't like right before or afterwards.

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hel

Nah, tried it with push-ups but the cigarette becomes rather the reward

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Are you seriously asking if life will improve if you stop smoking? It gives you cancer. Of course life will improve.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe you need to up the punishment.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#6 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

I have succeeded.

I no longer enjoyed it when they changed one of the chemicals in the cigarette (notice how they go out now if you don't puff on them?). So I decided to quit, got the nicotine gum to help. Didn't use nicotine as directed, only when I felt like I really needed it. The hardest time is actually at 3-6 weeks. Then it's you vs your mind when your mind starts telling you you could "smoke cigars" or just "have one a day." Plus, smoking dreams. Get passed that and you should be fine.

I don't think about them 24/7, but I still do want them sometimes. I don't think it will ever go away and I'm 3-1/2 years without. At the end of a really rough day, I'll have a drink (ONE DRINK! Otherwise you are trading one problem for a worse one).

Very pleased with quitting. I don't smell and I have more time and money.

Life does improve. Better lung capacity. I taste stuff. I don't smell bad. I don't worry about long plane rides or when I can have my next one.

It's all mind over matter. Green Lantern Up and conquer your desire with will power.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Yes, but it wasn't easy and have fell off the wagon

Cold turkey.

Mmm I never thought about it that much

Yes

Yes

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I have to stop interacting with the public if I want to quit smoking, especially the avid non smokers who actually motivate me to keep smoking just to annoy the smug bastards. I'm not saying all the people who don't smoke are bad just the people that don't know me who will come into an established out door smoking area and bitch to someone they don't know about me ruining their air quality. There's a giant damned sign saying smoking area, I'm already outside and hiding like a leper, You go somewhere else.

Rant over needed to vent and this seemed an appropriate place.

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It`s scarying imagine a life without nicotine even though i know my health will improve. Life feels empty without a cigarette. Really hard to explain and hart to understand if you never smoked

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hel

@jloneblackheart: Thank you thats what I need to hear, that its possible. I know it will be Hell for 3 days and 3 weeks and Im trying to get mentally prepared ;)

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hel said:

@jloneblackheart: Thank you thats what I need to hear, that its possible. I know it will be Hell for 3 days and 3 weeks and Im trying to get mentally prepared ;)

At least you're trying.

Some people don't even take the initiative to quit.

And even though I don't know you personally,I am really happy for you for doing this!

It pays off more than you can imagine.

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: Thank you, its been 10 hours and its horrible. Chewing like 3 nicotine gums right now but the reward will be great.. I hope

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: I have quit 14 times, its staying quit that's the issue, tho I am down to only like a pack and a half a week, at most 2 packs and that's coming down from a 2 pack a day habit so its not a victory but it is progress.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah I quit and it was one of the most easiest things I ever done.

I smoked for 10 years, quit cold turkey.

Glad I quit, to. I started exercising again and lost 45 pounds.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cameron83

...what is that cold turkey thing you guys are mentioning?

Does that like stand for something?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It means to give up straight away rather than gradually cutting down.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I quit and it was one of the most easiest things I ever done.

I smoked for 10 years, quit cold turkey.

Glad I quit, to. I started exercising again and lost 45 pounds.

Its different for everyone, for instance when I was younger I had a thing for pills and I knew all kinds of people who tried their damnedest and failed to quit those but I quit cold turkey and never looked back, yet I have tried and failed to quit smoking on numerous occasions.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83 said:

It means to give up straight away rather than gradually cutting down.

Oh ok,thanks! ^.^

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By danhimself

I want to so bad but I just know that cold turkey won't work for me...just reading this thread is making me fiend....but the products like gum and patches seem more expensive than the cigarettes

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cattlebattle  Online

I have done it. The first month or so is really difficult....you just have to have willpower of steel....

I am happy that I quit, not only is it a good show of accomplishment on my part but I don't have to do the laundry nearly as much and I can run further than down the block without getting winded.....oh, and I when I first quit I could smell everything, or at least it felt like it.

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hel

Guess I`ll do it the hard way - sitting here chewing my gums and hating the world and myself for smoking in the first place. Problem is - I`m getting really dizzy when I havent smoked for about 4 hours. Really dizzy

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cattlebattle  Online

@hel said:

Guess I`ll do it the hard way - sitting here chewing my gums and hating the world and myself for smoking in the first place. Problem is - I`m getting really dizzy when I havent smoked for about 4 hours. Really dizzy

Thats common actually its called "withdrawal".

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hel said:

That's what we call withdraw

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hel

@joshmightbe: Nah its 02.16 at night here, I`ll manage ;)

No stores that could sell cigarettes open now in this godforsaken part of the planet anyways

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@hel: By the way, I neglected to mention I smoked a pack a day for 15 years and I was still able to do it. It's possible. But it is a hard personal challenge.

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart: Yeah that is what it comes down to.. Do I really want to quit.. Ive been smoking about 15 cigarettes a day for 22 years. Its a sick way of living and a part of you. A big, major part of you.

If you could do it I will to . Thank you all - Inspiration!

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

You can do it random internet person! I believe in you!

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By joshmightbe

@jloneblackheart: I was smoking 2 packs a day from 17 to 29 so I feel my 2 pack a week habit that I have now is progress

Riot_Sqrrl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@v_scarlotte_rose:

Smoke a cigarette, lose a finger. Seems fair. Also, your lungs are more important to your continued well-being than your useless pinky anyway. Just so long as you keep your thumbs, because that's what keeps us above the lion in the food chain.

There was a movie called Cat's Eye back in the '80s that was a collection of vignettes written by Stephen King. One of 'em was about a smoker who hired this company to help him quit, not realizing that their methods were probably inspired by the Yakuza. =)

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I quit after 12 years of smoking. How? I decided I didnt want to smoke anymore. Its really that simple, its a conscious action to light a cigarette you simply stop doing it.

Oh and a tip is to not do this gradual stopping BS, just cut it off completely right away and then will your way through it and it will get easier with time.

And stop hanging around other people who smoke, grab a cookie each time your in the mood for one, theres plenty of small tips but it wont matter in the end if you dont really WANT to quit.

Willpower.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@jloneblackheart: I was smoking 2 packs a day from 17 to 29 so I feel my 2 pack a week habit that I have now is progress

Victories are victories. Here's to one pack a week.

My grandfather actually smoked one half a cigarette a day his whole life. He'd get home from work, light up, take a few drags, put it out and be done with it.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart: Every time I quit I smoke less when I break down and go back. Longest I've gone so far is a week and a half without one.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@joshmightbe: For me, the first three weeks were ok. It's the three after that are the real hell.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By joshmightbe

@jloneblackheart: I've always been told the first 3 days are the worst but never found that to be true, the first 3 days are cake but after that suddenly you start noticing all the things that annoy the hell out of you that you can completely ignore when smoking. Its probably withdraws making me irritable tho one time my wife actually went out and bought me a pack because in her words "It was either you shut up and smoke or be suffocated with a pillow." I get bitchy without smokes.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@joshmightbe: Well, like I said above, when I've had enough I have a drink at the end of the day. Might not recommend it to everyone, but it helps me. I haven't smoked in almost 3 and a half years, but I'd say I'm definately ready for that drink at a maximum three days.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jloneblackheart: I might have a drink or two every once in a while but I avoid getting drunk now days

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@joshmightbe: Yeah, that's something you learn with age. Drinking is fun, but being drunk and the aftermath sucks. Just lose the edge and stop while you're ahead.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By joshmightbe

@jloneblackheart: When I was a teen ager I was drunk all the time, but after 21 being trashed stops being funny.

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess it is all about willpower. I know that I can hold up for three days, Ive done it before, like 9 times. Its that 4th day Im getting prepared to "survive".Happy seeing that some of you succeeded. I just wished there was a way to not constantly thinking about cigarettes. Im afraid I will spend the rest of my life missing something that I really shouldent miss. Bloody drug that what it is.. Kids, dont even think about test smoking!!

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By Raw_Material

@jloneblackheart said:

It's all mind over matter. Green Lantern Up and conquer your desire with will power.

Best advice I heard on this thread! Like what you said it's mind over matter. I had to quit smoking for a little cause I had my wisdom teeth removed, and that right there kinda helped me not to think about smoking 24/7. I thought of it as if I smoke my cuts in my mouth are gonna become infected. So I tried not smoking at all after that, although 3-4 days after the surgery I had the urge to. However, those 4 days helped me out a lot to not think about it as often. Might even try to quit completely, but again it's pretty hard when the fein to smoke overcomes the willpower not to smoke. Just beware my power inhaled from Green Lantern's light!

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't start smoking and you won't have this problem.

thread/

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By Strider1992

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Why not introduce some kind of punishment/forfeit you have to do every time you have a cigarette? Maybe it would put you off smoking so often if you know you have to do something you don't like right before or afterwards.

A friend of mine actually did something like this and it worked too! Well he didn't his girlfriend actually did it but it was fricking epic!

@hel said:

Nah, tried it with push-ups but the cigarette becomes rather the reward

Ok first off do you have a girlfriend, wife, best friend or any close family? Basically anyone you see a LOT? This is what my friends girlfriend did when he couldn't quit smoking. Cigarettes cost between £4-10 depending on the brand, pack-size etc.... Now basically what she did was every time he bought a pack of cigarettes she chucked the same amount from his money away. Whether it was on the street down the sink etc.... Basically she'd just go "well you're throwing money away so i'll do it for you" suddenly depending on how much you smoke you can loose like £30 a day or at the very least £10 because whatever you spend on the cigarettes gets doubled up.

Its one of the only circumstances i've ever seen a cirgarette cure in action and boy was it effective. As soon as you start loosing like £10-£30 a day of your own hard earned money suddenly it becomes either stop smoking or loose a shitload of money over the period of the week. Its a damn good motivator. So i'd just get anyone you know (preferably a girlfriend or wife because obviously they will be around you more) and every time you buy a pack of cigarettes she will throw the same amount of your money away (don't give it to them or spend it, it must be thrown away with you watching for the maximum effect to see how much money you're losing) into the street or down toilet etc... It of course worked better for my mate because his girlfriend being this evil genius came up with this idea and thus was motivated and you can't do it yourself as if you can't control your cigarette problem it doesn't really inspire much confidence you'd stick to it with money lol.

So i'd advise that. If you don't currently have a girlfriend or wife a best-friend or a close family member will do just as well.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Decoy Elite

thread/

We all make mistakes, no need to rub it in someone's face when they're clearly trying to quit. :/

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strider92: well Im a single female so that wont work but I will try to think of all the money I'll be saving.

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hel said:

@strider92: well Im a single female so that wont work but I will try to think of all the money I'll be saving.

Just hire a hobo to help out, there's no way it could go wrong.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

@decoy_elite said:

@monsterstomp said:

thread/

We all make mistakes, no need to rub it in someone's face when they're clearly trying to quit. :/

Amen.

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers