Thoughts: Arrow "Eleven-Fifty-Nine" - A Death in the Family

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Edited By MrMazz
"Eleven-Fifty-Nine" Directed by Rob Hardy Written by Marc Guggenheim & Keto Shimizu

Wednesday night was a particularly lethal night of television with Arrow, The Americans, and Empire all killing off key supporting and celebrity guest characters. All of them also happen to be female.

The death of Laurel Lance was promised from the start of the season, Damien Dahrk threating to take Captain-Detective Lance’s (at the time) remaining daughter. That aside “at the time” brings up the odd specter death has in the DCWverse – time travel, parallel earths, Lazarus Pits – and most genre series in general. That is why you have co-showrunner Marc Guggenheim talking about how “death is not goodbye” for them. And it isn’t Katie Cassidy is signed on to appear in The Flash as her Earth-2 doppelganger the Black Siren and in the second season of animated series Vixen.

With so many outs, the effective use of death is a lot like the use of time travel stories for the audience. Even if events are changed, they still happened for the audience (maybe a character will remember) and that knowledge stays with us, affecting our read of the material. I believe it was a Marvel Fear Itself tie in that dealt with the nature of “death” in the Marvel U. A Daily Bugle writer interviewed with Ms. Marvel (Danvers) on the Schrodinger's cate-esque nature death has on the superhero populace. Ultimately all Marvel can come up with is that it’s still real even in its impermanence. They didn’t know if they’d be coming back, their friends and families didn’t know if/when they’d be coming back. It still happened. It still affected change.

No Caption Provided

The loss of Laurel Lance will change things. She may not have been the shows emotional heart like Felicity. Or the moral one like Diggle. But Laurel turned into the ultimate supporting character, often acting as literal support for characters as well as being an emotional confidant for everyone on the team. Early on in the season there was a brief scene where Diggle tells Laurel about Andy being alive, she was the first person he told. It’s Laurel who took Thea in after Ollie left town. Laurel was the first person that Vixen hugged when she guest spotted in “Taken”. She was a greatly empathetic character, which played to Cassidy’s melodramatic strengths, and would often rightly call Oliver out on his pigheadedness. Laurel Lance on Arrow may not have been the spitting image of her source material counterpart but she was the character this show needed and still had that Canary spirit.

A favorite scene of hers this season was the hallway sequence in in 405 “Haunted”. Wherein she asserted her own agency and the legitimacy of her own desires to bring Sara back from the dead against Oliver’s typical controlling ways. The Lance family has always served as collateral damage of Queen family hubris. Laurel’s death surprisingly isn’t, well kind of. Ollie did shoot the arrow Dahrk stabbed her with, an insane act with how often they go for that move and it never ever works. You could make the case that this is another rendition of thoughtlessly ‘fridgeing’ female character. And in a season where they awkwardly paralyze and heal Felicity you could have a good two handed argument. I wouldn’t go there just yet, one of the core reasons the whole “women in refrigerators” trope is lame is the lack of meaningful follow up. Arrow hasn’t gotten a chance show us its follow up yet. The episode ends on her death.

The overriding thematic motif of this season is family and now we have a death in it. “Eleven Fifty Nine” also featured a betrayal of familial trust with Andy Diggle. Team Arrow like the Bat-Family is a surrogate one for the victims of trauma (and lovers of leather). This uniting thread was starting to fray before Laurel’s death and it is more sense it. With five episodes remaining in the season what end statement will Arrow give on the nature of family?

I am Michael Mazzacane you can follow me on Twitter and at ComicWeek.org

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay episode but she should of died in the prison because her final scene about claiming Ollie was the love of her life was BS.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show is a soap opera about Felicity now. Couldn't pay me to watch.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was the nail in the coffin for me. I'm officially done with Felicity and Friends. Good riddance to this garbage

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepreface: Well this show's always been a soap opera.

The "Felicity and Friends" arguments to be hilariously over blown and otherwise not understanding how TV functions. Felicity as of the last episode was effictevly written off the show to a supporting role, not that I buy it's Rickards is still a regular in S5. The show has barely done anything to like over do the Felicity, it's used her at Palmer tech to create silo'd 'C' plots. Not that you did this but there's also been this phenomena around turning on her after she leaves Ollie (both times) which is funny in how it denies her arguments as to why being with Ollie is no longer what she wants emotionally/physically but at the sametime she's some how taken over this show and it's all about her. It's a lot like the Skyler White reaction, the logical one in a crazy world.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, Skyler White was a bitchy victim. Felicity Smoak is an self-entitled whiny tumblr bitch.

She breaks up with a dude because he made decision about his, HIS, son. She has no effing right and could die a slow aids death and I wouldn't feel bad.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepreface: and your reply just proved my point. Neither of those characters where "bitchy" only so much as that constitues exerting their own desire for saftey and emotionally complete relationships. And she didn't break up with Ollie because he made a decision, it's because he made a decision without informing her (perspective wife already long term live in girlfriend). I'm not sure how many relationships you've been in (judging by your langauge not much or very short) but open healthy communication between partners is pretty much the key to the whole thing. And that healthy communication is something they showed them doing all throughout the season up until the crossover when Ollie did the stupid vow of silence.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 rogueshadow  Moderator

Laurel's jaw in the bottom picture is messed up.

That's all I have to say.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmazz: That does not matter. I could be married. If I have a child with another woman the only people that need to know about any decisions is the mother and father. Now if a decision effected Felicity directly like William moving in with them she would have a right to know and should be part of decision making.

You people are ass-backwards if you believe otherwise. My girlfriend would have absolutely no say in any decisions I made about my child with another woman. Period.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmazz said:

@thepreface: and your reply just proved my point. Neither of those characters where "bitchy" only so much as that constitues exerting their own desire for saftey and emotionally complete relationships. And she didn't break up with Ollie because he made a decision, it's because he made a decision without informing her (perspective wife already long term live in girlfriend). I'm not sure how many relationships you've been in (judging by your langauge not much or very short) but open healthy communication between partners is pretty much the key to the whole thing. And that healthy communication is something they showed them doing all throughout the season up until the crossover when Ollie did the stupid vow of silence.

I'm sorry but did she not make a decision to help the team behind his back while they were supposed to be retired? It was not her place to be in a decision that did not affect her. it was his son and clearly it was hard for him to do so. I mean Does she tell him everything, nope she really is bitchy and whiny and the revelation of the rumor that she may become the new Black Canary is not only disrespectful but it's a slap in the face to fans of the show. You claim that the Felicity and Friends argument is hilariously over blown but the only thing hilarious is the fact that you think otherwise. Since the latter part of season 3 Felicity has constantly gotten far more screen time than she deserved and nearly every episode of Season 4 has been focused upon Felicity as an extension of the awfully contrived "Olicity" pandering. In fact Laurel's final words only further the notion that the writers seem content to constantly pander to the soap opera tumblr fans who only watch the show for the relationship crap. Hell not even Flash is safe from having to pander to the Mary Sue known as Felicity and that is why we complain. Felicity herself and The "Olicity" angle has been given more focus than the main villain and the story itself at times. And this death served as nothing more than to remove the only potential threat to this "olicity" garbage, I mean why else kill the leading lady who's screen time had been reduced significantly in latter seasons. This entire death angle is also redundant as well since killing a canary has already been done. Should have killed one of the Smoaks

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Best episode in a long time. But I'm massively dissapointed. Laurel still had stories to tell. She hadn't out lived her usefulness.....like Felicity.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Stormdriven

I thought the episode was extremely over done in terms of character emotions.

For example, I can understand Diggle being pissed off about Oliver accusing Andy of being a traitor. But Christ, Diggle was going to straight up kill Oliver. Seriously? There was hardly any questioning, it was basically just "what are you doing" then the gun is out. And then the scene right before Laurel's death? They had to have Laurel express a love for Oliver that wasn't tangible in any sort of way since the first season, yet we're suppose to believe Oliver was the love of her life? AND THEN they have her shove the Olicity bullshit right back in our faces. Right on what was basically her death bed. It seems the show can't go an episode, regardless of the damn circumstances, without having Felicity in some way.

Overall, Season 4 took a nosedive off the incline it was already going down. It started off better than Season 3, but it's making its way back down.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Damn I really liked Laurel...

Mr0Mister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers