• 106 results
#51 Posted by PayneInTheAss (11789 posts) - - Show Bio
#52 Posted by mikethekiller (9677 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#53 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikethekiller: That guy with the hockey stick will be the first against the wall when the robots take over.

#54 Posted by Galactic_1000 (5765 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it possible to create meta nanites (generator Rex) in far future.

#55 Edited by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

I think eventually we'll get things very similar to that, at least in the sense of very tiny nanites that live in your body in vast numbers. I dont know about superpowers, but they'll surely be there fixing and improving the normal workings of the body. Combined with genetic engineering and cybernetic implants, and who knows what will be possible. I'm sure a "human" from 200 in the future will at least seem like a "super soldier" type character like Captain America.

#56 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

This is pretty interesting... it looks like there are still significant advancements being made in internal combustion engine (ICE) technology. One of these is Mazda's homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) system that allows up to 30% more peak torque compared to their normal top of the line engines. The engine works by reducing how much fuel is needed, in relation to air, inside the pistons. The result is more power with fewer emissions!

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/01/mazdas-skyactiv-x-shows-the-internal-combustion-engine-has-a-future/

No Caption Provided

#57 Edited by mimisalome (5346 posts) - - Show Bio
#58 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

That really is a beautiful thing.

Yes it is. I'm really glad that there's still advancements being made in this area of engine tech. Eventually most cars will be all electric, but that's still some time away and for now you cant beat the energy density of gasoline.

#59 Edited by mimisalome (5346 posts) - - Show Bio

@galactic_1000 said:

You can say that technically we are pretty much constructed from various nanomachines.

Cellular level transport systems, power houses, chemical factories, and immune system are essentially organic nano-machines.

Now with regards to augmenting your current abilities via artificially constructed nanites, the one thing that engineers will always considers (which the same case for all machines and engines no matter what the size) is the thermodynamic limit and efficiency of the system.

Which means energy input to work output ratio (Conservation Law) and work losses (Entropy Law)

So anything that are comparable to a perpetual motion device being utilized to accomplish ridiculous tasks (Superheroic abilities) is in the realm of fantasy (as of now)

#60 Posted by IceDemonKing (9998 posts) - - Show Bio
#61 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

For those interested in bitcoin, the price is now at around 55% of what it was a couple of months ago...

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/bitcoin-drops-below-9000-in-continued-cryptocurrency-slide/

So basically what I predicted earlier about a bitcoin crash coming. And, I wouldnt be surprised if it's below $5,000 by the end of the year. Most of the price of bitcoin is just speculation from people getting in on a trend they know nothing about. Right now a lot of bitcoin "investors" are likely seeing what they think is a good buying opportunity... until the next time it starts sliding again.

#62 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio
#63 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#64 Posted by Mortein (6044 posts) - - Show Bio

That was awesome.

#65 Edited by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

Coolest thing about the Falcon Heavy launch was watching the boosters land on their pads right next to each other... freakin' amazing!

No Caption Provided

#66 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#67 Posted by XLR87T3 (10066 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultron>Brainiac

#68 Posted by Black_Arrow (10282 posts) - - Show Bio
#69 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

If this is completely legit, It raises some important questions:

Face Recognition Glasses Augment China’s Railway Cops

Very interesting, and it does make sense. One of the problems with employing facial recognition through normal security cameras is that they usually have shit resolution and the people they're seeing are normally too far away. So, most faces are going to be a small blurry bunch of pixels that even the best facial recognition AI will never recognize. But, having a person on the scene moving around and getting a camera close in, then sending those images to the servers running the AI software, that could work.

#70 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
#71 Posted by deactivated-5b84aca03eae8 (6261 posts) - - Show Bio

I had no idea the Soviets had their own space shuttles.

#72 Posted by tensor (8505 posts) - - Show Bio

Good stuff.

#73 Edited by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

I had no idea the Soviets had their own space shuttles.

Oh, yeah. The space race was an amazing time.

The Soviets were also trying to get to the Moon at the same time we were. They might have even gotten there first, if it wasnt for their huge N1 rocket tending to blow up on the launch pads. In fact the Soviets tried right before Apollo 11 went to the moon, and they would have been the first if they had succeeded, but the N1 blew up totally destroying their Moon plans for good. They just couldnt make the technology behind such a huge rocket with that many engines work.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
#74 Edited by deactivated-5b84aca03eae8 (6261 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: Wow, it would be one of the greatest what-ifs if the Soviets' N1 rocket didn't fail and actually sent men to the moon first!

#75 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

Robot solves Rubik’s Cube in 0.38 seconds:

Loading Video...

#76 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio
#77 Posted by Mortein (6044 posts) - - Show Bio
#78 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio
#81 Edited by Black_Arrow (10282 posts) - - Show Bio

A human driver couldn't have done much better than the machine but this is the type of case I would expect the self driving car to excel at with all of its sensors. So I would count that as a big fail on that regard (maybe there is something I am overlooking). Also the human driver seemed to be looking at phone while driving in the car, if that's the sort of people they hire for testing this cars, Uber is right to shutdown it's program. I rather prefer other more professional companies handle self driving cars.

The woman that crossed the street was completely on the wrong though, I don't understand how someone could be that careless while crossing the street.

#82 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

A human driver couldn't have done much better than the machine but this is the type of case I would expect the self driving car to excel at with all of it's sensors. So I would count that as a big fail on that regard (maybe there is something I am overlooking). Also the human driver seemed to be looking at phone while driving in the car, if that's the sort of people they hire for testing this cars, Uber is right to shutdown it's program. I rather prefer other more professional companies handle self driving cars.

The woman that crossed the street was completely on the wrong though, I don't understand how someone could be that careless while crossing the street.

Yeah I'm really curious what kind of sensors they have on that care. I was under the impression that aside from visible-light cameras they also had infrared cameras to help see in dark situations. From the video it looks pretty dark, but an infrared or night-vision camera should have seen her before she was right in front of the car. Just going by that video, it looks like a failure of the AI.

#83 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahh... inkjet printers. Why are their stupid ink cartridges so damn expensive?

Loading Video...

#84 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio
#85 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton said:

An Uber self-driving car apparently hit and killed a pedestrian in Arizona:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/uber-self-driving-car-hits-and-kills-pedestrian/

Thoughts?

Predictable.

Yeah, Uber has been having a lot of issues... starting from their messed up leadership structure, which no doubt has seeped into their technical side. From all indications, this accident should have easily been avoided by any normally functioning obstacle avoidance system on a self-driving car with those types of sensors (visual, lidar, radar). I'm still not clear on whether it had infrared cameras, but if it didnt that's another f***up by Uber. This thing should have had the entire package of available sensors on board. Anyway, maybe it did, I dont know.

#86 Posted by Mortein (6044 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully within 20-30 years, self driving cars will be killing 10s of thousands of people per a year, and have a monopoly over traffic.

#87 Edited by Galactic_1000 (5765 posts) - - Show Bio

Can today technology hack Little big city 2 app game without rooting my phone?XD I want infinite money & diamonds I am also playing it Offline.

#88 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85 said:
@willpayton said:

An Uber self-driving car apparently hit and killed a pedestrian in Arizona:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/uber-self-driving-car-hits-and-kills-pedestrian/

Thoughts?

Predictable.

Yeah, Uber has been having a lot of issues... starting from their messed up leadership structure, which no doubt has seeped into their technical side. From all indications, this accident should have easily been avoided by any normally functioning obstacle avoidance system on a self-driving car with those types of sensors (visual, lidar, radar). I'm still not clear on whether it had infrared cameras, but if it didnt that's another f***up by Uber. This thing should have had the entire package of available sensors on board. Anyway, maybe it did, I dont know.

Well, I was also thinking that stuff like automated cars, at this stage, can work in a closed environment where the random acts of humans aren't part of the system.

#89 Posted by Mortein (6044 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I was also thinking that stuff like automated cars, at this stage, can work in a closed environment where the random acts of humans aren't part of the system.

Wouldn't that slow down the progress of development of self-driving cars and delay the day when these cars will be perfected and dominate the traffic?

For each year of delay we are sacrificing at least hundreds of thousands of lives, possibly more than a million.

Besides, self-driving cars today are roughly as good (or as bad) as human drivers, which means they are ready to be tested on the roads.

#90 Posted by Outside_85 (23518 posts) - - Show Bio

@mortein said:

Wouldn't that slow down the progress of development of self-driving cars and delay the day when these cars will be perfected and dominate the traffic?

For each year of delay we are sacrificing at least hundreds of thousands of lives, possibly more than a million.

Besides, self-driving cars today are roughly as good (or as bad) as human drivers, which means they are ready to be tested on the roads.

No. This is just a natural part of that development, it will take the time it takes, no reason to rush it out if it doesn't work.

Think is I am kinda seeing the end goal of this as being somewhat how cars were in the I, Robot movie, where roads were mostly fenced off and everything on them was automated. Like that you've eliminated the human risk of people wandering onto the road and you've eliminated the human driver doing something stupid.

#92 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio
#94 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

This is from a few years ago, but still pretty interesting nonetheless, and it's the shape of things to come.

Right now buildings take a long time to build, but new technologies like modularity and prefabrication are looking really promising. A Chinese company called Broad Sustainable Building has been doing this, notably building a 57 story building in just 19 days!

Loading Video...

Very impressive!

#95 Edited by SpareHeadOne (6313 posts) - - Show Bio

Natural Technology

Ken Dill is a biophysicist who is a member of both the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, and director of the Center for Physical and Quantitative Biology at Stony Brook University.

He is a top authority on protein machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm-3kovWpNQ

Don't be fooled by the title. He doesn't end up talking on protein folding much at all.

#96 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

Very interesting article on modern car driving assistance systems like adaptive cruise control, lane keeping, and automatic breaking, and why they can often cause crashes if the driver isnt paying attention. Basically, in many cases these systems dont work together and they dont do what you think they will do. As in, often they will ignore stationary objects in the middle of the highway.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/06/why-emergency-braking-systems-sometimes-hit-parked-cars-and-lane-dividers/

#98 Edited by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio
#99 Edited by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

A new study from Indiana University has some interesting data on how misinformation spreads in social networks...

No Caption Provided

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/11/study-it-only-takes-a-few-seconds-for-bots-to-spread-misinformation/

Shortly after the 2016 election, newly elected President Donald Trump—peeved at losing the popular vote to Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton—falsely claimed he would have won the popular vote if not for the supposed votes of 3 million illegal immigrants. The lie spread rapidly across social media—far faster than factual attempts to debunk it. And Twitter bots played a disproportionate role in spreading that false information.

That's according to a new study by researchers at Indiana University, published in Nature Communications. They examined 14 million messages shared on Twitter between May 2016 and May 2017, spanning the presidential primaries and Trump's inauguration. And they found it took just six percent of Twitter accounts identified as bots to spread 31 percent of what they term "low-credibility" information on the social network. The bots managed this feat in just two to 10 seconds, thanks in large part to automated amplification.

#100 Posted by GermanX (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

A new study from Indiana University has some interesting data on how misinformation spreads in social networks...

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/11/study-it-only-takes-a-few-seconds-for-bots-to-spread-misinformation/

Shortly after the 2016 election, newly elected President Donald Trump—peeved at losing the popular vote to Democratic opponent Hillary Clinton—falsely claimed he would have won the popular vote if not for the supposed votes of 3 million illegal immigrants. The lie spread rapidly across social media—far faster than factual attempts to debunk it. And Twitter bots played a disproportionate role in spreading that false information.

That's according to a new study by researchers at Indiana University, published in Nature Communications. They examined 14 million messages shared on Twitter between May 2016 and May 2017, spanning the presidential primaries and Trump's inauguration. And they found it took just six percent of Twitter accounts identified as bots to spread 31 percent of what they term "low-credibility" information on the social network. The bots managed this feat in just two to 10 seconds, thanks in large part to automated amplification.

Your quote isn't really helping the article to promote "technology". An additional quote from that article will help:

Why are bots so effective at spreading false information? Study co-author Filippo Menczer attributes their success to so-called "social bias": the human tendency to pay more attention to things that seem to be popular. Bots can create the appearance of popularity or that a certain opinion is more widely held than it actually is. "People tend to put greater trust in messages that appear to originate from many people," said Menczer's co-author, Giovanni Luca Ciampaglia. "Bots prey upon this trust by making messages seem so popular that real people are tricked into spreading their messages for them."

This quote IMO, is good enough grounds for discussion relevant to this thread. So I am guessing, for whatever reason which someone else hopefully can shed light on, bots are good at spreading sensational, hot news compared to spreading cold, boring facts.