• 98 results
#1 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

We have a very good science discussion thread over here, but we've never had a thread just about technology. So I'm just going to start one.

I'm hoping that here people can discuss all things tech, from the history and impact on human society, to new advancements, to just general thoughts and questions that you might have.

I'll get it started by posting this very interesting article on the history and development of stealth technology that led to the F-117 Stealth Fighter. The program was originally code named "Have Blue".

Worth reading if you like this kind of stuff:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/stealth-turns-40-looking-back-at-the-first-flight-of-have-blue/

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
#2 Edited by deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99 (11593 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see this being turned into another Net Neutrality thing tbh.

#3 Posted by BumpyBoo (14390 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see this being turned into another Net Neutrality thing tbh.

Feel free to shout me if it gets hijacked, lol.

I want this thread 8D

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
#4 Edited by deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99 (11593 posts) - - Show Bio

So, what ya people think about the F-35? Been hearing it's op as hell, but way too expensive and with lots of design issues. Think it's worth it?

#5 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

For those interested in the history of the Space Race, what happened to the Soviet Space Shuttle (the Buran) is a very interesting and sad story. What remains of those shuttles are left to decay and eventually ceases to exist (one shuttle was destroyed by a roof collapsing on it). The images and video of these shuttles are amazing.

see all images here:

https://www.boredpanda.com/abandoned-soviet-space-shuttle-program-buran-baikonur-cosmodrome-kazakhstan-ralph-mirebs/

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

video inside Baikonur and even inside the shuttles:

Loading Video...

#6 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

So, what ya people think about the F-35? Been hearing it's op as hell, but way too expensive and with lots of design issues. Think it's worth it?

I think that designing a single air frame that can then be adapted to so many different roles is fundamentally a flawed idea. And that program has had nothing but problems since it started, and cost more than a trillion dollars. It's one of those programs that makes sense in theory (given certain assumptions), but in practice it's hard to make it work. You end up making too many compromises.

#7 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

27% of millennials say they would date a robot. Gross

#8 Posted by Kute (1772 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

27% of millennials say they would date a robot. Gross

a future synth/android type deal, yeah. we are just biological robots anyways

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
#9 Posted by deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00 (10000 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see this turning into Religious people vs Atheists.

#10 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

@kute: You don't find it a bit concerning that some people would rather get with robots than with humans? Kind vital to our society it doesn't become a problem.

#11 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see this turning into Religious people vs Atheists.

If the thread gets derailed I'll bring in the mods.

#12 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Outside_85 (22778 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's ultimately worth it, when it's done. But considering how long it's been in development, it kinda amazes me we've even had fighter jets for as long as we have.

That said, my country has just signed a bill thats going to replace our aging F-16's with the current F-35's... and I kinda get the impression the deciding factor was that the F-35 is American and my government is hoping for American investment, rather than taking the operational and seemingly better equipped F-18 or the local produced Eurofighter Typhoon, which also seems to be better equipped and is also in operation.

@ccraft said:

@kute: You don't find it a bit concerning that some people would rather get with robots than with humans? Kind vital to our society it doesn't become a problem.

I find it kinda funny to complain about sex-robots when the US consumers alone buy for around a billion dollars worth of dildoes a year...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
#14 Posted by deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00 (10000 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone see the footage the pentagon released?

#15 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85: I don't see people saying they are going to date or fall in love with dildos. Kinda feel like you missed the point.

#16 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Elon Musk right about AI? Should we be extremely cautious, yes or no? Seeing how AI behaves in different tests, I would be very concerned if they were to get smarter and have more control in our technology. I don't know exactly how true it is but I heard Bitcoin was created by AI, guess you could chalk it up to conspiracy Theories, but it seems to have some truth to it.

#17 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

About

Avatar image for supremegeneration
#18 Posted by SupremeGeneration (9415 posts) - - Show Bio

What's a good gaming laptop with an i7 processer below or around 1k?

#19 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

Is Elon Musk right about AI? Should we be extremely cautious, yes or no? Seeing how AI behaves in different tests, I would be very concerned if they were to get smarter and have more control in our technology.

Yes we should be concerned, but an AI that's comparable to a human brain is still along ways off. But, eventually there will be super-intelligence AIs and at that point we should be very worried.

@ccraft said:

I don't know exactly how true it is but I heard Bitcoin was created by AI, guess you could chalk it up to conspiracy Theories, but it seems to have some truth to it.

No there's no truth to it.

#20 Edited by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: what did you think about the AI's that created a "secretive" language? I guess you can chalk it up to a more effective way of communication, but idk guess i'm just paranoid when it comes to stuff like that.

I heard the creator of the bitcoin was very secretive and when the best hacker tried to hack it they couldn't because the system pretended to be hacked, but then complete changed, making it completely unhackable. Very weird if you ask me.

#21 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

@willpayton: what did you think about the AI's that created a "secretive" language? I guess you can chalk it up to a more effective way of communication, but idk guess i'm just paranoid when it comes to stuff like that.

It was just another run of the mill AI research project. Nothing special about it.

https://www.snopes.com/facebook-ai-developed-own-language/

@ccraft said:

I heard the creator of the bitcoin was very secretive and when the best hacker tried to hack it they couldn't because the system pretended to be hacked, but then complete changed, making it completely unhackable. Very weird if you ask me.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. Bitcoin was created by a human, and there's nothing mysterious about it. There's a whole lot of crypto-currencies like that around now. The only "mysterious" thing about Bitcoin is why people are gambling so much money on it. A lot of people are going to lose a lot of money when the price inevitably crashes.

#22 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:
@all-father said:

About

I think he means the UFO video.

It's interesting. Nothing more so far. Who knows what that actually is in those videos.

The best rule of thumb is "it's never aliens"

#23 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: Nothing special about it, they created a new language of some sorts. I wouldn't be surprised if other AI's do the same. And have you heard of that one AI that always tries to escape when turned on? Very weird behaviors.

I heard the Bitcoin creator was very mysterious, like no one knows exactly who he is or where he is. Yeah his name is know, but not really much else. I believe an AI created it, don't AI's run part of it too? At the very least I think there is evidence that AI's run the security systems. The most renown hacker couldn't break into it.

A lot of people think it wont crash, I wouldn't invest in it.

#24 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: When it comes to Aliens who knows, if the government comes out with aliens by their sides I dont think it would be real aliens.

#25 Posted by Black_Arrow (10114 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

@black_arrow: A lot of information to digest, read a lot about block chain, but skimmed through the rest. Didn't say anything about AI???

#27 Posted by scavengerFist (1935 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice, I'm gonna visit this regularly.

#28 Posted by Outside_85 (22778 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

@outside_85: I don't see people saying they are going to date or fall in love with dildos. Kinda feel like you missed the point.

You can't date a robot either. Also if we are explicitly talking about a sex-bot, then it's sort of only good for one thing.

#29 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

@outside_85: People can date a blow up doll, if you were sick in the head. You honestly don't think that some people would rather be with the sex robots than actual people? It's not just a sex robot you sexist jerk, see what I did there? Thats what people will be saying lol

#30 Edited by _Gaff_ (5104 posts) - - Show Bio

Clear wood.

After the color is removed, polymers or epoxies can be injected to strengthen the wood. The result is stronger, transparent wood

If used as an alternative to glass windows, it would provide much better insulation. Thus reducing energy consumption.

Possibly a lighter, stronger alternative to steel. Could be used to create energy producing solar windows.

#31 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

@_gaff_: Have not heard of this, but sounds interesting. Can you provide links with more info? Thanks.

#32 Edited by _Gaff_ (5104 posts) - - Show Bio

@_gaff_: Have not heard of this, but sounds interesting. Can you provide links with more info? Thanks.

Sure.

LinkLink

#33 Edited by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio
@_gaff_ said:
@willpayton said:

Sure.

LinkLink

That's pretty damn cool. I'm sure once they figure out how to make it more environmentally friendly and produce it at large scale, we'll start seeing this in buildings and things like furniture.

#34 Posted by boschePG (5926 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: this is more AI focused, but what do you think of Ai named Sophia who is a Saudi resident actually talking about evolution in Ai and eventual family groupings. Do you think it was programmed to respond like that or how do you see said outcome if this is more of a complex reasoning among the robot. Future implications - you can bring up Skynet if you want but I was curious on your PoV regarding this

#35 Posted by _Gaff_ (5104 posts) - - Show Bio

@boschepg said:

@willpayton: this is more AI focused, but what do you think of Ai named Sophia who is a Saudi resident actually talking about evolution in Ai and eventual family groupings. Do you think it was programmed to respond like that or how do you see said outcome if this is more of a complex reasoning among the robot. Future implications - you can bring up Skynet if you want but I was curious on your PoV regarding this

This chat bot with facial recognition probably has more rights in Saudi Arabia than actual women. Sorry, off topic but had to be said.

#36 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

@boschepg said:

I'm not super familiar with it, but after looking up some video it's definitely programmed to say those things. It just looks like a "chat bot" type AI that goes through a decision tree based on the user input... in this case, whatever it thinks the person it's talking to said. This is still very far from an AI that can do real thinking.

#37 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

A good explanation of the unusual sight over Los Angeles two days ago. A lot of people were freaking out thinking it was some kind of attack or alien invasion, but it was just a rocket launch that just happened to look very weird.

Check out why it looked the way it looked:

Loading Video...

#38 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

Following up on my last post about the recently discovered major flaws in modern CPUs, here's a good explanation of roughly what that is.

Loading Video...

#40 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

Just gotta let y'all know, when the robots eventually do rise up, I'm gonna be the first traitor. Sorry meatbags,

#41 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting video comparing the American Space Shuttle to the Russian Buran. This talks about one of the key differences between the two, and one thing the Russians really got right when they copied the Shuttle... leaving out the main engines.

Loading Video...

#42 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

More interesting rocket stuff!

Loading Video...

#43 Posted by PayneInTheAss (10233 posts) - - Show Bio
#44 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by deltahuman (4692 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton:

Buran was a better design than the shuttle IMO because the orbiter didn't have engines. All the power came from the rocket Energia and Energia had the highest thrust of any rocket ever built. So the rocket could be used in a swing role. It could have carried super heavy payloads to space with the Buran detached. Also because of no engines and fuel, Buran was safer for the cosmonauts. Too bad the Soviet union broke up and Buran-Energia was scrapped.

#46 Posted by deltahuman (4692 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton:

I think you at right. A single airframe design for multiple roles is an inherently flawed Idea. The SVTOL take off capability is a great design for the F35 but look what it does to the payload capability. Also the design is Russian isn't it. From a Yakovlev jet. What are your thoughts on Su57

#47 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton:

Buran was a better design than the shuttle IMO because the orbiter didn't have engines. All the power came from the rocket Energia and Energia had the highest thrust of any rocket ever built. So the rocket could be used in a swing role. It could have carried super heavy payloads to space with the Buran detached. Also because of no engines and fuel, Buran was safer for the cosmonauts. Too bad the Soviet union broke up and Buran-Energia was scrapped.

Yeah, I agree with that. However, it's important to note that the Shuttle had those engines because it was intended to be re-usable, and in theory having the main engines on the Shuttle as opposed to attached to the fuel tank meant that you could reuse those instead of throwing them away after every launch. Those engines are very complex and costly, after all. So the idea had merit, it just happens that a lot of the assumptions about the re-usability of the Shuttle and launch costs ended up being wrong.

#48 Posted by deltahuman (4692 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton:

Yeah. That's the case. The assumptions about the shuttle's reusability were all over the top. Even the technology of the ablative tiles were not matured then. What are your thoughts on Orion or Dragon V2. Do you prefer a shuttle like spaceplane? Almost all the new or in development reusable spacecraft have all abandoned the spaceplane idea except the US's Dreamchaser and the Indian RLV-TD/Avatar

#49 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton:

Yeah. That's the case. The assumptions about the shuttle's reusability were all over the top. Even the technology of the ablative tiles were not matured then. What are your thoughts on Orion or Dragon V2. Do you prefer a shuttle like spaceplane? Almost all the new or in development reusable spacecraft have all abandoned the spaceplane idea except the US's Dreamchaser and the Indian RLV-TD/Avatar

The "space plane" idea makes sense in some very specific mission types, but for most it doesnt. So while the Shuttle was very cool and inspirational, it was almost guaranteed to be a failure in terms of cost no matter how well executed the ideas were. As far as the new vehicles like Orion, they're better designed and have access to much better tech than the Shuttle, so I think they'll do well. The main threat to the NASA projects, as always, will continue to be the lack of commitment and vision from the government leadership. Every President inevitably tries to sell a lot of stuff to the public that they dont understand and have no intention of making Congress pay for. So these programs keep coming and then going when they run out of funding and have to be cancelled or heavily modified.

#50 Posted by willpayton (21406 posts) - - Show Bio

I just thought this was really cool...

Loading Video...