• 191 results
#151 Posted by Hypnos0929 (6556 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah they were evil.

The only good one was Hephaestus who constantly tried to win the love of his wife but never could.

#152 Posted by anakon4 (438 posts) - - Show Bio

Moses's and Jesus's God was willing to destroy entire Egypt just to save Jews. just sayin...

#153 Posted by superstay (12549 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL, it's weird reading mi old post...

d^_^b

#154 Edited by Mooty_Pass (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

No they were not evil the Greek Gods were just A-Holes the ONLY Good nice and kind Greek God is Hestia Goddess of the Hearth and Fire. Everyone else are Petty, A-Holes, Selfish, greedy, big headed, and disrespectful as well as childish.

#155 Edited by Novawing (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol at all the edgelords

They were otherworldy beings though, so we can't try to slap our morals onto them, they did what they wanted when they wanted

#156 Posted by JamieLannister (159 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: The God in Abrahamic religions was evil.

Greek Gods weren't good or evil. They were amoral. Not to be confused with immoral.

Compared to the God of Bible they are all cute in comparison.

Examples: Warning To Read if you are offended.

Cruelty and Violence in the Bible

I will meet them as a bear that is bereaved of her whelps, and will rend the caul of their heart, and there will I devour them like a lion: the wild beast shall tear them.--Hosea 13:8

Power-mad, belligerent, masochistic, petty, woefully insecure, extremely dangerous and unpredictable (and seemingly not too bright) Yahweh exhibits all the worst attributes of man. -- Brendan Powell Smith, creator of the Brick Testament.

Intolerance in the Bible

And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.--Lev.26:29

The God of the Old Testament has got to be the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous, and proud of it, petty, vindictive, unjust, unforgiving, racist. -- Richard Dawkins, The Root of All Evil? source: http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/int/long.html

source:http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

1. "I will destroy ... both man and beast."
    God is angry. He decides to destroy all humans, beasts, creeping things, fowls, and "all flesh wherein there is breath of life." He plans to drown them all. 6:7, 17
  2. "Every living substance that I have made will I destroy."
    God repeats his intention to kill "every living substance ... from off the face of the earth." But why does God kill all the innocent animals? What had they done to deserve his wrath? It seems God never gets his fill of tormenting animals. 7:4
  3. "All flesh died that moved upon the earth."
    God drowns everything that breathes air. From newborn babies to koala bears -- all creatures great and small, the Lord God drowned them all. 7:21-23
  4. God sends a plague on the Pharaoh and his household because the Pharaoh believed Abram's lie. 12:17
  5. God tells Abram to kill some animals for him. The needless slaughter makes God feel better. 15:9-10
  6. Hagar conceives, making Sarai jealous. Abram tells Sarai to do to Hagar whatever she wants. "And when Sarai dealt hardly with her, she fled." 16:6
  7. "I will not destroy it for ten's sake."
    I guess God couldn't find even ten good Sodomites because he decides to kill them all in Genesis 19. Too bad Abraham didn't ask God about the children. Why not save them? If Abraham could find 10 good children, toddlers, infants, or babies, would God spare the city? Apparently not. God doesn't give a damn about children. 18:32
  8. Lot refuses to give up his angels to the perverted mob, offering his two "virgin daughters" instead. He tells the bunch of angel rapers to "do unto them [his daughters] as is good in your eyes." This is the same man that is called "just" and "righteous" in 2 Peter 2:7-8. 19:7-8
  9. God kills everyone (men, women, children, infants, newborns) in Sodom and Gomorrah by raining "fire and brimstone from the Lord out of heaven." Well, almost everyone -- he spares the "just and righteous" Lot and his family. 19:24
  10. Lot's nameless wife looks back, and God turns her into a pillar of salt. 19:26
  11. God gets angry with king Abimelech, though the king hasn't even touched Sarah. He says to the king, "Behold, thou art but a dead man," and threatens to kill him and all of his people. To compensate for the crime he never committed, Abimelech gives Abraham sheep, oxen, slaves, silver, and land. Finally, after Abraham "prayed unto God," God lifts his punishment to Abimelech, "for the Lord had fast closed up all the wombs of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah." 20:3-18
  12. Sarah, after giving birth to Isaac, gets angry again at Hagar (see 16:5-6) and tells Abraham to 'cast out this bondwoman and her son." God commands Abraham to "hearken unto her voice." So Abraham abandons Hagar and Ishmael, casting them out into the wilderness to die. 21:10-14
  13. God orders Abraham to kill Isaac as a burnt offering. Abraham shows his love for God by his willingness to murder his son. But finally, just before Isaac's throat is slit, God provides a goat to kill instead. 22:2-13
  14. Abraham shows his willingness to kill his son for God. Only an evil God would ask a father to do that; only a bad father would be willing to do it. 22:10
  15. "Because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son."
    Why did God love Abraham so much? Because he was willing to murder his son for him. (Greater evil hath no man than this, that he is willing to kill his own son for God.) 22:16
  16. Dinah, the daughter of Jacob, is "defiled" by a man who seems to love her dearly. Her brothers trick all of the men of the town and kill them (after first having them all circumcised), and then take their wives and children captive. 34:1-31
  17. "The terror of God was upon the cities that were round about them." 35:5
  18. "And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the Lord; and the Lord slew him." What did Er do to elicit God's wrath? The Bible doesn't say. Maybe he picked up some sticks on Saturday. 38:7
  19. After God killed Er, Judah tells Onan to "go in unto they brother's wife." But "Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and ... when he went in unto his brother's wife ... he spilled it on the ground.... And the thing which he did displeased the Lord; wherefore he slew him also." This lovely Bible story is seldom read in Sunday School, but it is the basis of many Christian doctrines, including the condemnation of both masturbation and birth control. 38:8-10
  20. After Judah pays Tamar for her services, he is told that she "played the harlot" and "is with child by whoredom." When Judah hears this, he says, "Bring her forth, and let her be burnt." 38:24
  21. Joseph interprets the baker's dream. He says that the pharaoh will cut off the baker's head, and hang his headless body on a tree for the birds to eat. 40:19
  22. God brought a seven year, "very grievous" famine on the whole earth for no apparent reason (except maybe to make Joseph wealthy). 41:25-32, 54

Exodus

23. Moses murders an Egyptian after making sure that no one is looking. 2:11-12
  24. "I will ... smite Egypt with all my wonders." 3:20
  25. God threatens to kill the Pharaoh's firstborn son. 4:23
  26. God decides to kill Moses because his son had not yet been circumcised. 4:24-26
  27. Moses and Aaron ask the Pharaoh to let all the Israelites go into the desert to pray for three days, or else God will kill them all "with pestilence, or with the sword." 5:3
  28. "Now shalt thou see what I will do to Pharaoh." 6:1
  29. God will make sure that Pharaoh does not listen to Moses, so that he can kill Egyptians with his armies. 7:4
  30. "And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD." Who else could be so cruel and unjust? 7:5, 17
  31. God tells Moses and Aaron to smite the river and turn it into blood. This is the first of the famous 10 plagues of Egypt. 7:17-24
  32. The fifth plague: all cattle in Egypt die.
    But a little later (9:19-20, 12:29), God kills them again a couple more times. 9:6
  33. The sixth plague: boils and blains upon man and beast. 9:9-12
  34. "For I will at this time send all my plagues upon thine heart, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that there is none like me in all the earth." Who else but the biblical god could be so cruel? 9:14
  35. God gave power to the Pharaoh so that he could show off his own power by killing him. 9:15-16
  36. The seventh plague is hail. "And the hail smote throughout the land of Egypt all that was in the field, both man and beast." 9:22-25
  37. God wants to be remembered forever for the mass murder of little children. 10:2
  38. These verses clearly show that the mass murder of innocent children by God was premeditated. (see 12:29-30) 11:4-6
  39. God will kill the Egyptian children to show that he puts "a difference between the Egyptians and Israel." 11:7
  40. God explains to Moses that he intends to "smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast. 12:12
  41. After God has sufficiently hardened the Pharaoh's heart, he kills all the firstborn Egyptian children. When he was finished "there was not a house where there was not one dead." Finally, he runs out of little babies to kill, so he slaughters the firstborn cattle, too. 12:29
  42. To commemorate the divine massacre of the Egyptian children, Moses instructs the Israelites to "sacrifice to the Lord all that openeth the matrix" -- all the males, that is. God has no use for dead, burnt female bodies. 13:2, 12, 15

source:http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelty/long.html

They are plenty more.

#157 Posted by DBVSE7 (8197 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly (atheist or not) no human being should ever talk down about how terrible Gods are.. Humans are no better (as history shows us time and time again), which is why having respect for someone's religious belief is so important.

I just find threads like this hilarious becuase they're full of comments that suggest humans have a moral high ground.

#158 Edited by Yassassin (7697 posts) - - Show Bio

They were evil? lol, What's Zeus's kill count? Chances are old big daddy G's is higher.

#159 Posted by DesperateCan (52 posts) - - Show Bio

They weren't evil, they just didn't give a $hit about mortals.

#160 Posted by DevilMayehm666 (956 posts) - - Show Bio

@hypnos0929: He was a rapist too. Tried to rape Athena.

#161 Posted by DevilMayehm666 (956 posts) - - Show Bio

@mooty_pass: Ares was okay during peacetime too. But in War it was pretty ruthless.

#162 Edited by Mooty_Pass (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

@DevilMayehm666 said:

@mooty_pass: Ares was okay during peacetime too. But in War it was pretty ruthless.

LOL remember the War on Troy and in battle Ares got a small cut on his arm and ran off the battlefield crying? LOL funny. Sorry anyway, I don't know Peacetime Ares I didn't know Ares knew of Peace I only know so many of his ragtag War stories lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
#163 Posted by deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00 (10000 posts) - - Show Bio

No shit.

#164 Posted by Necromancer76 (3775 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah the Titans were too.

#165 Posted by Hypnos0929 (6556 posts) - - Show Bio

@mooty_pass: He was stabbed with a spear... enchanted and guided by Athena.

#166 Posted by SocaJunkie (8405 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't news.

#167 Posted by IceDemonKing (9990 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not evil.

#168 Posted by Mooty_Pass (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

@mooty_pass: He was stabbed with a spear... enchanted and guided by Athena.

NO!....*Looks back and research* Oh yeah....

No Caption Provided

Still funny tho :0)

#169 Posted by Jgames (8147 posts) - - Show Bio

Why you think Kratos is going around killing gods, because they are asshole. Also sleeping around with people is not that bad compared to the other things.

#170 Posted by CitizenSurfer (2640 posts) - - Show Bio

Greek gods didn't pretend to be anything but though, they knew they were massively more powerful than us and just used us as the play things we were.

But what bothers me is this, why are Greek gods considered mythology but the Christian God considered real?

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
#171 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (6301 posts) - - Show Bio
#172 Posted by EmpressOfDread (12367 posts) - - Show Bio
#173 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18259 posts) - - Show Bio

Think about it Zeus and Poseidon were confirmed rapists, Hades was a kidnapper who was willing to let the whole world die so he could get laid, Demeter was willing to kill the world because she couldn't find her kid, Athena turned a woman into one of the most famous and horrible monsters in Mythology in order to punish her for being raped (That's how Medusa came to be), Hera tried to kill babies, Aphrodite was pretty much the biggest slut in the universe and Apollo had a dude skinned for playing a lyre better than him.

Hey...no call for slut shaming now...:)

#174 Posted by dark-sith123 (5027 posts) - - Show Bio

And Cronus swallowed his own children when they were born.

Angelic beings...

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
#175 Posted by ITouchedTheBoat (3390 posts) - - Show Bio

Greek gods didn't pretend to be anything but though, they knew they were massively more powerful than us and just used us as the play things we were.

But what bothers me is this, why are Greek gods considered mythology but the Christian God considered real?

OOooPH somebody is about to get triggered!

#177 Posted by DevilMayehm666 (956 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensurfer: I think the Olympians were a metaphor for ancient conquers. They took over the world from the Titans through war and then enslaved the inhabitants, just like in ancient warefare.

#178 Posted by CitizenSurfer (2640 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensurfer: I think the Olympians were a metaphor for ancient conquers. They took over the world from the Titans through war and then enslaved the inhabitants, just like in ancient warefare.

Who the hell conquered the oceans?

#179 Posted by DevilMayehm666 (956 posts) - - Show Bio
#180 Edited by Wut (6934 posts) - - Show Bio

When reading Greek Mythos, its less 'Who isn't an A-Hole' and more 'Who are the least jerkish here' which would probably be deities like Athena, Hades and Heph... Its not a long list.

#181 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6087 posts) - - Show Bio

I think their evil can only judged on what they do to each other.

#182 Posted by CitizenSurfer (2640 posts) - - Show Bio

@DevilMayehm666: I know that, if they're based off of conquerors who is Poseidon based off of, who conquered Hell, who conquered the sky? 👀

#183 Posted by DevilMayehm666 (956 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensurfer: Not talking about real actual people but conquerors in general.

#184 Posted by CitizenSurfer (2640 posts) - - Show Bio
#185 Edited by SocaJunkie (8405 posts) - - Show Bio

Hera chucked her infant son off a mountain because he was ugly.

All Oympians are pricks tbh

#186 Posted by CitizenSurfer (2640 posts) - - Show Bio

Hera chucked her infant son off a mountain because he was ugly.

All Oympians are pricks tbh

Granted, but they don't pretend to be anything else.

#187 Posted by Conner_Wolf (6378 posts) - - Show Bio

Think about it Zeus and Poseidon were confirmed rapists, Hades was a kidnapper who was willing to let the whole world die so he could get laid, Demeter was willing to kill the world because she couldn't find her kid, Athena turned a woman into one of the most famous and horrible monsters in Mythology in order to punish her for being raped (That's how Medusa came to be), Hera tried to kill babies, Aphrodite was pretty much the biggest slut in the universe and Apollo had a dude skinned for playing a lyre better than him.

They weren't evil, nor were they good, they were simply forces of nature. You have to look at it based on the time period.

Demeter wasn't 'willing to kill the world' she was just depressed.

Hades was the eldest child who had the right to rule the cosmos and was screwed out of it by a younger brother whom was mommy's favorite and then forced to rule the darkest and most desolate place in the cosmos-the underworld, all without any friends and with the other gods treating him like a plague. Persephone was the only comfort he could have through his cold, dark nights.

Hera was, admittedly, a pretty terrible person.

What's wrong with Aphrodite being a slut? Slut-shamer.

And it also depends on the story, some versions of the story painted the gods as much more villainous, others painted them in a more forgiving light.

In many versions of Medusa, she willingly slept with Poseidon and as Athena couldn't punish Poseidon, she punished Medusa.

And in most versions of Zeus' myths, he didn't actually rape the women, he just kinda showed up, sex happened, and it's never defined as rape, people just assume it was. Also, during that time and age, getting fucked by a god was usually considered a grand blessing because it meant you got to give birth to a divine being-our modern retellings paint him as much more of a rapist in this respect because we try to give the gods more human labels and with that, Zeus does come off as a rapist.

Also kep in mind the entire greek mythos is about hubris and the gods believing they are the greatest-and were entirely justified in that belief. Many times they gave into their emotions easily and who can blame them, they are literally primal forces of nature. In human terms they were savants: autistic individuals who focused their entire lives on one thing or group of related things and when they were upset they had meltdowns as their emotions raged with literally the entire fury of thunder and lightning or an earthquake inside a single body.

Evil is not the right word, chaotic and primal is much better, as well as a different set of morals.

#188 Posted by DevilMayehm666 (956 posts) - - Show Bio
#189 Edited by DevilMayehm666 (956 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensurfer: Alexander The Great, Genghis Khan, Attila The Hun etc.

#190 Posted by CitizenSurfer (2640 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensurfer: Alexander The Great, Genghis Khan, Attila The Hun etc.

None of whom metaphorically nor literally conquered the oceans, the skies or hell.

#191 Posted by Nerise (920 posts) - - Show Bio

Good thing humans are much more righteous

#192 Posted by ValorKnight (12392 posts) - - Show Bio

Back in those days all those activities simply meant you were awesome......just like how drugs in the seventies are now considered bad.

This.

#193 Posted by Otsdarva999 (380 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya they seem pretty evil

#194 Posted by jagernutt (16331 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks that way