#2751 Posted by rogueshadow (23250 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:
@thor_parker82 said:

Arya Stark is a badass, one of the best opening scenes for a season ever.

Also, why was Jorah locked ??

Must be experimenting on people with Greyscale, trying to find a cure. Makes sense that the place he'd think to go to find a cure would be the centre of knowledge in the Known World. I thought me might go to Quaithe though.

I found Arya really adorable in this episode, something she hasn't been in a long time.

Having him locked like that does not seem humane though, if he went there he most likely told them he needed a cure, no reason to imprison him really.

Yes, that scene with Ed Sheeran highlighted that part of Arya, as a side note, notice how Ed Sheeran barely spoke in the scene, they probably didn´t trust his "acting" skills lol.

Greyscale is HIGHLY contagious, it's not humane, but this is effectively a medieval society, it's to be expected.

I don't know if it's just because he's Ed Sheeran or his acting, but he kind of stuck out. Like, did that really need to be Ed Sheeran? Not a major issue, he just sort of stuck out in the scene, giving him dialogue would've exacerbated it.

And Sansa needs to watch some Godfather. She's bugging the shit out of me.

Also, Euron basically cemented for me that Jaime was truly a legendary, God-tier fighter on the show.

#2752 Posted by rogueshadow (23250 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#2753 Posted by Thorthunder98 (3248 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: Sansa disagreeing with Jon like that in front of everyone was annoying af at least disagree in private he literally just became King and she's already challenging him

#2754 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (12406 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: He stuck out because he´s goddamn Ed Sheeran lol, that´s why.

#2755 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (12406 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82 said:
@rogueshadow said:
@thor_parker82 said:

Must be experimenting on people with Greyscale, trying to find a cure. Makes sense that the place he'd think to go to find a cure would be the centre of knowledge in the Known World. I thought me might go to Quaithe though.

I found Arya really adorable in this episode, something she hasn't been in a long time.

Having him locked like that does not seem humane though, if he went there he most likely told them he needed a cure, no reason to imprison him really.

Yes, that scene with Ed Sheeran highlighted that part of Arya, as a side note, notice how Ed Sheeran barely spoke in the scene, they probably didn´t trust his "acting" skills lol.

Maybe his condition was worse than they thought, making his state of mind unstable so they had to lock him away to be safe and wouldn't harm others. Just a theory.

Sounds plausible.

#2756 Posted by rogueshadow (23250 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: Sansa disagreeing with Jon like that in front of everyone was annoying af at least disagree in private he literally just became King and she's already challenging him

I think it's only gonna get worse. I don't think she's evil, but she's got this duplicitous, game playing, power hungry streak to her that she can never shed, she's spent to much time around these kinds of people, it's in her now, she's got the Littlefinger syndrome.

#2757 Edited by Thorthunder98 (3248 posts) - - Show Bio
#2758 Edited by rogueshadow (23250 posts) - - Show Bio

@thor_parker82 said:

@rogueshadow: He stuck out because he´s goddamn Ed Sheeran lol, that´s why.

Yeah but... he just looked awkward and out of place to me, he just didn't look right.

@thor_parker82 said:
@peterparkerjr said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@rogueshadow said:
@thor_parker82 said:

Maybe his condition was worse than they thought, making his state of mind unstable so they had to lock him away to be safe and wouldn't harm others. Just a theory.

Sounds plausible.

Maybe the show hasn't given this impression that well, but greyscale is potentially a bubonic plague level threat, Jorah really shouldn't be left roaming around. As bad as it sounds, locking them up like that is actually for the best. Obviously they could be a bit more humane about it, but it's Westeros.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#2759 Edited by buttersdaman000 (19816 posts) - - Show Bio

I forgot the season openers are reserved for set up, so I was initially a bit disappointed. But, overall it was a pretty good episode!

• Sansa annoyed me. She couldn't wait to discuss with Jon in private. Why would she openly try to undermine him like that?? And her insistence that she's valuable simply because she's lived with the enemies is stupid. It didn't make sense with Ramsay and it certainly doesn't make sense with Cersei.
  • I can see Lyanna Mormont annoying me in the future :/ the badass little girl trope who makes fools of grown men can be overdone.
  • Arya is a freaking badass! The Freys are no more!! But I could've sworn she was heading north?? Also, those Lannister soldiers are cool (from what we can tell), but I fear they aren't long for this world.
  • Meera and Bran making it to the Wall and meeting Edd was probably my favorite scene of the episode.
  • The Hound is awesome, as always, but how did he randomly start having visions in the fire??
  • Fuck Brienne
  • Littlefinger is playing cards he doesn't have anymore. He thinks he can still manipulate Sansa, but that assumption will be the downfall of him.
  • Cercei is such shortsighted, cocky bastard. I love her lol
  • Jaime was cool as always
  • Sam and Gilly in Oldtown might prove to be pretty interesting in the future
  • I wanted to punch Dany in the face when she tore down Stannis' banner lmao
  • WHERE WAS GHOST??? (and Gendry.... lol)
#2760 Edited by rogueshadow (23250 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorthunder98: Nymeria better have a huge wolfpack that Arya uses to wreck shop. Also Goddamn Nymeria looks amazing, budget must be crazy.

#2761 Posted by BullPR (4138 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say, I was a little bit disappointed. First scene was great. Rest not so much.

#2762 Edited by rogueshadow (23250 posts) - - Show Bio
  • I can see Lyanna Mormont annoying me in the future :/ the badass little girl trope who makes fools of grown men can be overdone.

I was really starting to feel girl power being pushed, especially given the subject matter. They need to slow down with it.

Every time Brienne beating the Hound is referenced I get triggered.

#2763 Posted by PeterParkerJr (6591 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000:

When Arya rode up on that singing dude, I was thinking Gendry was just hiding out in a random forest, but then I was immediately disappointed.

#2764 Posted by TVC-15 (3942 posts) - - Show Bio

Like always, I only gave a shit about the North stuff.

#2765 Posted by buttersdaman000 (19816 posts) - - Show Bio

I was really starting to feel girl power being pushed, especially given the subject matter. They need to slow down with it.

Every time Brienne beating the Hound is referenced I get triggered.

Yeah, I don't think the show will slow down with it though....which is why Cercei and Arya are my favorite female characters. They're the only ones who aren't written to be bad ass just because they're girls. They're badass just because they're badass.

Lol same. When Dany tore down Stannis' banner the corner of my mouth literally twitched involuntarily haha

@buttersdaman000:

When Arya rode up on that singing dude, I was thinking Gendry was just hiding out in a random forest, but then I was immediately disappointed.

I was pleasantly surprised haha

I'm thinking we won't get Gendry till midseason. I just hope he isn't killed off in the same episode (or this season).

@bullpr said:

I have to say, I was a little bit disappointed. First scene was great. Rest not so much.

Typical season opener. We'll probably have one "bad" episode, with the really good stuff kicking off around episode 4 or 5.

#2766 Posted by rogueshadow (23250 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: They're all pretenders anyway tbh, Renly danced with Brienne so he was clearly the rightful King.

#2767 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (12406 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, I´m surprised at the dislike of Lyanna Mormont this episode, I think that, as always, she was a boss.

I love her character.

#2768 Posted by Sprior93 (12765 posts) - - Show Bio

Ed Sheeran cameo was tacky.

#2769 Posted by Cregan_Stark (4531 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93: It actually didn't bother me, he sang a song (good choice) and literally did nothing else. He has the look that they were going for of the young soldier.

#2770 Posted by PrinceLeif (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93 said:

Ed Sheeran cameo was tacky.

How so?

#2771 Posted by stormphoenix (6792 posts) - - Show Bio

This episode was TOO SHORT!!!! But the OPENER was great.

#2772 Posted by The_Red_Viper (9393 posts) - - Show Bio

The episode:

• The opening scene gave me legit chills. I literally clapped when it ended.
  • Screw you all, I love Sansa. She's really growing on me. Yes she shouldn't have questioned Jon like that in front of everybody but Jon was also kind of an asshole when he told her "I shouldn't listen to you" (or something along those lines) when they were talking up on the battlements. Anyway I love how she turned from your typical damsel in distress to a legit smart and cunning woman. She could make a good ruler. And her cold hatred for Petyr is assuring that she isn't going to betray Jon and also the fact that after all, she did say he is a good ruler and that he's as far from Joffrey as he can be. I sense Petyr's death coming very soon.
  • Sam cleaning the chamber pots was hilarious.
  • Agree with @rogueshadow, Euron's description of Jaime's skill was spot-on. What gift does he plan on delivering to Cersei?
  • The Hound was awesome as always. His pyrophobia is starting to fade away.
  • The scene with Arya and Ed Sheeran's party was great. I don't think she's really going to go to King's Landing now. I think that the purpose of the scene was to show Arya that even her enemies (they were Lannister men after all) can be human. They were kind to her, they had families back home, and all that. Maybe this will make her realize that she is better off riding north to her family rather than pressing on with her killing spree, awesome as it might be. Maybe she will even meet these men again in some upcoming battle and spare them, I sensed a hint of foreshadowing when that soldier told her that if you're kind to strangers they'll be kind to you. Also a nice little "Easter Egg", because being a Faceless Man, Arya is technically THE Stranger now.
  • New Kingsguard armor looks wicked.
  • Undead giants. Giatnssss. Plural. Shit.
  • No Ghost :( I want the Direwolves this season to be HUGE. As big as horses, like they're supposed to be in the books.
  • Why doesn't Jorah just let them cut off his arm...? He's better off that way, he could return to Dany as an adviser, he doesn't have to be a fighter.
  • Tormund and Brienne are adorable. They should marry and adopt Podrick.

The preview:

• NYMERIA!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!
  • Ellaria Sand is in Dragonstone. Cool.
  • Who's this girl in 0:14 and who is she stabbing? I don't recognize her face... should I? Screenshot below.
  • Are the Knights of the Vale abandoning Jon? Lord Royce and Jon are clearly disagreeing on whether to trust Dany and the knights of the Vale are seen riding away from Winterfell later on.
No Caption Provided

#2773 Edited by BullPR (4138 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper: I don't remember in the books if it is written somewhere that cutting an area with the scale would prevent the disease to progress.

Probably not. It seems to me that it is an infectious disease and as long as you don't kill the pathogenic agent you are infected. Cutting his arm would just remove a symptom, not treat the etiology.

#2774 Posted by PeterParkerJr (6591 posts) - - Show Bio

Sansa choosing Family over Power and turning on LittleFinger seems a little too predictable. I guess it depends on the execution. A well executed scene can save a predictable plot twist, but I feel like they may go in a somewhat different direction with that.

#2775 Edited by GIliad_ (4887 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorthunder98: Maise William's loves Ed so I'm guessing that's why he appeared, particularly cause he was in her scene.

you live in the UK right? Did you watch it at 2AM yeah?

#2776 Posted by GIliad_ (4887 posts) - - Show Bio

Stayed up all night to see that Premire and it was damn worth it! That episode was 🔥

#2777 Posted by Thorthunder98 (3248 posts) - - Show Bio

@giliad_: lol damn right I stayed up till 2AM was never going to miss it, though tbf I'm up till around 2-3 generally anyways ahaha

#2778 Posted by Thorthunder98 (3248 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow: I'm hyped we need more Direwolf action this season praying she has her wolf pack

#2779 Edited by rogueshadow (23250 posts) - - Show Bio
@thorthunder98 said:

@rogueshadow: I'm hyped we need more Direwolf action this season praying she has her wolf pack

They rarely seem to be willing to put the budget into the Direwolves, I don't know why. If I were a Stark I'd have my Direwolf with me everywhere I went.

#2780 Edited by highaccuser (30071 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's only gonna get worse. I don't think she's evil, but she's got this duplicitous, game playing, power hungry streak to her that she can never shed, she's spent to much time around these kinds of people, it's in her now, she's got the Littlefinger syndrome.

She learned a good deal from Cersei indeed.

#2781 Posted by highaccuser (30071 posts) - - Show Bio

The opening scene actually really had me fooled for a moment. That was great.

#2782 Posted by Thorthunder98 (3248 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorthunder98 said:

They rarely seem to be willing to put the budget into the Direwolves, I don't know why. If I were a Stark I'd have my Direwolf with me everywhere I went.

I know it's annoying we all want some Ghost action, and tbf the only person who ever had theirs with them the whole time was Bran when Summer was with him.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#2783 Posted by Fallschirmjager (22928 posts) - - Show Bio

Opening scene was great but the rest of the episode mostly just felt like crossing T's and dottings I's, nothing I wasn't expecting.

#2784 Posted by Anna_Karenina (2947 posts) - - Show Bio

Sansa choosing Family over Power and turning on LittleFinger seems a little too predictable. I guess it depends on the execution. A well executed scene can save a predictable plot twist, but I feel like they may go in a somewhat different direction with that.

I have a feeling Arya is going to be in that scene in disguise. Just another cheap-fanservice moment of hers, but the audience, for the most part, will love it.

#2785 Posted by The_Red_Viper (9393 posts) - - Show Bio

@bullpr: You could be right but I dunno.

#2786 Posted by PeterParkerJr (6591 posts) - - Show Bio

@anna_karenina:

Yeah, I love Arya and she's a badass. Top 5 GOT character. However, to me, she can only do that unmasking gimmick so many times before it grows a bit tiresome. I half think that's where they're going with it too.

#2787 Posted by lvenger (32166 posts) - - Show Bio

Good first episode, especially that opening scene. But disappointing seasons of GoT had good first episodes. Arya, Jon Snow and Danerys' scenes were the best of the episode IMO.

#2788 Posted by rogueshadow (23250 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:
@thorthunder98 said:

I know it's annoying we all want some Ghost action, and tbf the only person who ever had theirs with them the whole time was Bran when Summer was with him.

Summer's death was depressing as hell. I hoped he'd take a few Wights out before he went down but he accomplished practically nothing.

#2789 Posted by destinyman75 (7428 posts) - - Show Bio

Sansa ug

#2790 Posted by Thorthunder98 (3248 posts) - - Show Bio
@thorthunder98 said:
@rogueshadow said:
@thorthunder98 said:

Summer's death was depressing as hell. I hoped he'd take a few Wights out before he went down but he accomplished practically nothing.

It really pissed me off like there was no point in Summer trying to fight he should've just ran off with Bran he would've survived and been useful to them other than stupidly jumping at a hoarde of Wights it was just because of budget they killed him

#2791 Posted by rogueshadow (23250 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:
@thorthunder98 said:
@rogueshadow said:
@thorthunder98 said:

It really pissed me off like there was no point in Summer trying to fight he should've just ran off with Bran he would've survived and been useful to them other than stupidly jumping at a hoarde of Wights it was just because of budget they killed him

Yup. I just hope there are some more living Giants, I want to see more of them.

#2792 Posted by GIliad_ (4887 posts) - - Show Bio

In review Geoffrey and Ramsey didn't do shit compared to Stannis Baratheon...... that man is the most evil guy in their series

#2793 Posted by Lunacyde (26488 posts) - - Show Bio
#2794 Posted by buttersdaman000 (19816 posts) - - Show Bio

@giliad_ said:

In review Geoffrey and Ramsey didn't do shit compared to Stannis Baratheon...... that man is the most evil guy in their series

No Caption Provided

#2795 Posted by GIliad_ (4887 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: Yeah sure Ramsey and Geoff did some despicable things. Rape, murder and torture of the worst kind. I'm not saying they're nice guys. But that's different. That's the kind of shit you can expect. But burning his own daughter alive..... that's something else

#2796 Edited by buttersdaman000 (19816 posts) - - Show Bio

@giliad_ said:

@buttersdaman000: Yeah sure Ramsey and Geoff did some despicable things. Rape, murder and torture of the worst kind. I'm not saying they're nice guys. But that's different. That's the kind of shit you can expect. But burning his own daughter alive..... that's something else

I know, it was sacrifice. He sacrificed his daughter to save the realm. It's an evil thing to do, but like Stannis said "A good act does not wash out the bad, nor a bad act the good. Each should have its own reward." So with all the good he did, that one act doesn't make him the most evil guy in the series. He's still one of the heroes.

It's "Joffrey" btw

#2797 Posted by Zetsumoto (17893 posts) - - Show Bio

@giliad_ said:

The funny thing is he didn't even do it in the novels. It's implied that it will happen in the future, but only as a last resort in an apocalyptic zombie invasion scenario.

#2798 Edited by buttersdaman000 (19816 posts) - - Show Bio

@zetsumoto said:
@giliad_ said:

The funny thing is he didn't even do it in the novels. It's implied that it will happen in the future, but only as a last resort in an apocalyptic zombie invasion scenario.

Actually, it's more implied that he won't do it. Shireen is still at castle black, and Stannis has remained adamant that should he fall his knights will put her on the iron throne after the battle against the white walkers. D&D's version of Stannis is a straight character assassination after season 3. Even some of the stuff in seasons 2 and 3 showed that D&D didn't like or understand his character. It didn't work on me though!!

#2799 Posted by buttersdaman000 (19816 posts) - - Show Bio

@zetsumoto: But, yeah, if does burn her I like the theory that he does it to hold off the imminent invasion of The Others

#2800 Posted by KingKarate (133 posts) - - Show Bio

I really can't wait for the next season.