THE END OF MEAT?

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Impossible Burgers:

Plant based meat. Totally tastes and looks like a real beef burger. Is this the end of meat? It's probably for the best. Thoughts????

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

From The Washington Post:

Patrick Brown founded Impossible Foods with the goal of supplanting the meat industry. He believes America’s 230 million omnivores can be made to trade their hamburgers and steaks for a plant-based equivalent, scienced into being.

That vision may yet be a long way off -- even Brown admits as much. But next week the concept will get an important early test: Impossible Foods is opening its first large-scale facility in Oakland.

The Oakland plant, which will begin to produce burgers this summer, is the first concrete sign that Impossible Foods and flagship offering are anything more than utopic moonshots. The plant will prove whether or not the concept can scale, which has implications for public health and the environment.

[Stop eating so much meat, top U.S. nutritional panel says]

It also has consequences for the emerging clean-meat industry, of which Impossible Foods is an early (and highly visible) player. Unlike Boca or Morningstar before them, which sought to corner the vegetarian market, these companies aim to appeal to hardcore meat-eaters by creating a meaty plant-based product. Beyond Meat, a popular vegetarian brand, has dipped a toe in those mainstream waters with its beet-juice "bleeding" Beyond Burger. And earlier this week, the start-up Memphis Meats announced that it had successfully created a lab-grown chicken strip -- at a whopping price per pound of $9,000.

The future of meat?

WASHINGTON POST

But few of these companies have proved that they can commercialize yet, and even those that have, like the Beyond Burger, still only sell at Whole Foods. With this new facility, a spokesperson for Impossible Foods said, the company’s production capacity will increase 250-fold -- allowing it to supply 1,000 restaurants by the end of this year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/03/17/is-this-the-beginning-of-the-end-of-meat/

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Cool, as a vegetarian this is good for me. Not sure about the omnivores though.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Revan-

Not for $9,000. Unless the veggie meat can fly, make me Martian Manhunter, get me a wife, 2 kids and a frickin' mortgage.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mickey-mouse

@revan2424: The burgers are being sold for $15 bucks a pop...that chicken leg they made was the crazy $9000 one...

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mickey-mouse

@revan2424:

His first offering is the Impossible Burger: a patty composed largely of wheat and potato proteins that -- thanks to a iron-containing molecule called heme -- looks, handles and (reportedly!) tastes quite a lot like ground beef. The burger has caught the eye of several high-end chefs, including New York's David Chang and San Francisco's Traci Des Jardins, who have put the burger on their respective menus for roughly $15 apiece.

NightSky86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By NightSky86

Lmao I'm not paying £12.10 a pop, they must be crazy, no this isn't the end of meat- beef, chicken etc are here to stay

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightsky86: Any new tech is gonna be expensive until it can be mass produced on a large scale. Eventually they would figure it out IMO; how to make it cost a lot less.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: $15 bucks is still pretty steep. Until it gets cheaper, meat is goin' nowhere.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not some crazy vegan by the way. I actually love real meat. I'm having steak for breakfast. I just thought this was interesting.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mickey-mouse

@lukehero: $15 bucks is still pretty steep. Until it gets cheaper, meat is goin' nowhere.

That's true. They would have to get it way down. Like at least a $5 burger.

NightSky86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@nightsky86: Any new tech is gonna be expensive until it can be mass produced on a large scale. Eventually they would figure it out IMO; how to make it cost a lot less.

If they manage to mass produce it and get it down to the same level or below the average price of meat, it could work, but wouldn't that lead to other problems? If cows aren't getting killed will that lead to over-grazing? I'm no expert I'm just wondering

tjd2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm much more excited to eat the real meat they're creating in labs

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mickey-mouse

@nightsky86: No, cows are still used for a bunch of other products besides meat. Also most breeding is controlled. It wouldn't be a problem. If anything this would help the environment a lot since a lot of bad by-products are produced from mass producing beef.

omnipotence88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems too expensive for now.

samconery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely will have a great negative impact on the food chain

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Ewww, no.

Shepard-Croft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather keep eating animals, lolz

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the impossible part of this is thinking people will pay that much for fake meat.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@misterwhisper: They already do though. Go to the frozen food section of the store those little veggie breakfast meat substitute things are expensive...

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LpnQ

TO HELL WITH VEGETARIANISM 4:28 for the reference. In the Dub he says " To hell with vegetarianism"

Loading Video...

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

15 buck for burger? Sheeeeit, I'd off the cow myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Obviously not.

TinyFord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Why on earth would they want to substitute something quite inexpensive with something that costs 3 times as much and isn't even the real thing?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: Kinda cool. Though I don't understand why people need to try so hard to replicate the texture of a cooked corpse. Just buy a veggie burger.

Also, on the topic of expenses: if these burgers these guys have made are plant-based, they are practically speaking cheaper than animal meat. The only reason a burger costs $4 instead of $11, is because the taxpayer handles the other $7 thanks to the massive subsidies the government provides for the meat industry. Without those subsidies, meat would be far more expensive, and plant-based alternatives would be in much greater supply. Any shift away from eating corpses is going to save the average American money.

Wes_the_HOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting in concept, but even if it became as cheap as regular meat. I would still go out of my way to get the real thing.

noobsnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The end of meat is something that is absolutely not going to happen. Accept the reality, peoples.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if it reaches the same price, or at least a comparable price. People are fine with paying an extra couple dollars for free range eggs, but there's no way they'd pay double or triple for it.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would it really be the "end" of meat? People would essentially be eating the same food. Just it wouldn't come from animal sources.

AdmiralLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

First we have the probability people will actually want to eat it, a lot of people are just disgusted by the idea of eating a plant pretending to be a cows muscle.

Then we have the simplicity of actual meat compared to this. I once lived on a small farm, at the top of the amount of what we had it was a cow, a horse, two pigs, and a bunch of chickens, all free range, we also had two dogs and quite a few cats. There was another cow and some rabbits in there somewhere.

It was really easy to keep them up actually and we could even end up with extra milk or eggs. When we butchered them, usually the roosters when they decided to attack one of us, we could actually get a lot of meat out of it. This wasn't anything we got money from either, basically just for us and if we wanted to give off the extra to some friends.

It's just way to easy to get real meat compared to a substitute. You'd also have to put out a lot of already existing companies selling meat regularly to end up with just this, which is also highly unlikely.

And of course, people just aren't gonna go for it. They may end up getting enough money to run and even grow, but all in all, people love real meat, even if they can't be sure they taste any different.

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it the end of meat -- well, I'll have to say no, not in our day & age, but I think it's a stepping stone for the future generations to ween off of the factory-farming style we currently have in place to get meat.

I've currently hopped onto the vegetarian train (as my girlfriend is a vegetarian and I figured I'd give it an honest shot) and think that while veggie burgers aren't HORRIBLE (in regards to taste) anything that can be done to improve them is welcome.

I like the concept, I hope it continues further, I hope the cost eventually goes down and then we'll see what happens.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@lukehero: No because meat proteins are vitale to have a ealthy life no matter what vegans can tell you.

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

more scared of eating that processed stuff than i am real meat

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doubt it, I've heard this story once or twice a year for the past five or so years, and these innovations always seem 'right around the corner.' There are plenty of meat purists who will refuse to eat things like this out of principal, then there are the types who are Leary of 'fake foods'. Meat and eating it is too ingrained in our societal image for it to change overnight.

IMO it would take a decade or more for something like this to be seen as anything other than fringe by most people.

You'll know it will have reached critical mass when one of the two major parties (more than likely the Democratic Party) attempt to pass legislation against eating meat as either immoral or unhealthy or both and implement something like a meat tax.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Noone1996

@tinyford said:

Why on earth would they want to substitute something quite inexpensive with something that costs 3 times as much and isn't even the real thing?

Rahi3m912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah i rather stick with meat much cheaper

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maybe in about a couple of decades. But for now? No way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131 said:

@lukehero: No because meat proteins are vitale to have a ealthy life no matter what vegans can tell you.

Some of the healthiest/strongest people on the planet are vegan. Animal protein is a second hand source of plant protein that we get from eating animals, rather than eating the plants themselves. You could eat just potatoes and be pretty okay - a guy did it for a year recently, and entire populations have supported themselves with this one food at times in history.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131 said:

Some of the healthiest/strongest people on the planet are vegan. Animal protein is a second hand source of plant protein that we get from eating animals, rather than eating the plants themselves. You could eat just potatoes and be pretty okay - a guy did it for a year recently, and entire populations have supported themselves with this one food at times in history.

Are you dum or what, humans can't digest grass, but cows can, that's why we need to eat cows !

An no vegans are "the healthiest/strongest people on the planet" this is a lie.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tinyford said:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131 said:

Are you dum or what, humans can't digest grass, but cows can, that's why we need to eat cows !

An no vegans are "the healthiest/strongest people on the planet" this is a lie.

You are aware 90% of the grain we produce feeds cattle, and 90% of the cattle we produce eat grains, right? So the vast minority of cattle on the earth eat grass. I was referring to feeding human beings grains, such as oats, wheat, soya, corn. And yes, they are perfectly digestable, which I'm sure you know unless you've never stepped foot inside a supermarket before.

No, they are.

Patrik Baboumian, multi-world record holding vegan strongman who would snap you in half as an afterthought:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Then there's ultra endurance athlete Rich Roll, who ran 5 Iron Man triathalons back-to-back in the space of a week:

In May 2010, Rich and his ultra-colleague Jason Lester accomplished an unprecedented feat of staggering endurance many said was not possible. Something they call the EPIC5 CHALLENGE- a odyssey that entailed completing 5 ironman-distance triathlons on 5 islands of Hawaii in under a week. Commencing on Kauai, they travelled to Oahu, Molokai and Maui before finishing on the Big Island, following the course of the Ironman World Championships on the Kona coast.

http://www.richroll.com/bio/

http://www.epic5.com/

Not to mention Mac Danzig, vegan UFC fighter, 300 pound NFL defensive linesman David Carter, ultra-marathon runner Scott Jurek, various WWE athletes, and so on. Contrary to popular belief, before cooking, technology and sucking breast milk out of a cow's nipple, human beings had to eat something that wasn't animal-based: it was plants. Vegans simply cut out the middle man and get their protein from the source. Omnivores get a diluted form of protein along with a heaping dose of acidic animal protein, hormones, pus, and occasionally steroids and antibiotics. Also heart disease and cancer.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If They Can Get This Plant Based Meats Into The Commercial Market And Sell It At Affordable Prices....

IT WOULD CHANGE THE WORLD.

The Problem Is Can Plant Based Meats Be Sold In Bulk To Commercial Markets That Would Sell It As Fast Food.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_saturn: If slaughter houses had glass walls and weren't hidden away from populated areas, it'd take a couple years, tops.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But is it healthier (not reading that wall of text)?

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131 said:

Sure, meat is generally a healthy food for most people. But diet is a complex thing. There are many others who don't respond well to it and are just better off avoiding meat/animal products in general. Claiming that it is impossible to live a healthy life without consuming meat is just untrue for thousands of Vegetarians and Vegans everywhere.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But is it healthier (not reading that wall of text)?

Yes. It doesn't contain the bad stuff from meat so yeah...

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_saturn:

The Problem Is Can Plant Based Meats Be Sold In Bulk To Commercial Markets That Would Sell It As Fast Food.

If they could make it cheap, better this than McDonalds pink slime...

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131 said:

Sure, meat is generally a healthy food for most people. But diet is a complex thing. There are many others who don't respond well to it and are just better off avoiding meat/animal products in general. Claiming that it is impossible to live a healthy life without consuming meat is just untrue for thousands of Vegetarians and Vegans everywhere.

No No No, Vegetarians do eat meat proteins in milk and eggs ! Vegans don't and therefore even if they seem healthy they would be ealthier eating a few meat protein every week !