Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MightyWarrior
@Jonny_Anonymous Or that.

@King Saturn
: Was that when Thanos got impaled by Drax?
MightyWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MightyWarrior
@Glitch_Spawn: It was a mistake.
Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Xanni15

Sounds like a short conversation:

"What do you believe in?"

"Nothing."

"Okay"

MightyWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MightyWarrior

Not, really. We can talk about SCIENCE. 

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King_Saturn
@MightyWarrior said:

@King Saturn
yes
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@King Saturn said:
@MightyWarrior said:

@King Saturn
yes
No Caption Provided
MightyWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MightyWarrior

So, I was correct. Well, back on topic.  

I never understood why Christians think that asking GOD to bless their food will protect them from sickness. We all know that blessings are delusions. 

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KnightRise

Neither of those concepts equal science. A "the science thread" would've been better for the intention assumed to the OP

fica990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fica990
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

lol, my favorites

bob808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By bob808
No Caption Provided
Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Kal'smahboi
@Glitch_Spawn said:

@MightyWarrior said:

Agnostics and Atheists let us come together and share our beliefs.

...they're still beliefs.
Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@fica990 said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

lol, my favorites

LOL

Need more memes now.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By King_Saturn
@KnightRise said:

Neither of those concepts equal science. A "the science thread" would've been better for the intention assumed to the OP

but you can tell from the intent of the OP he wants to utilize non-belief and science in the discussion... not just science. 
SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SandMan_
@bob808 said:
No Caption Provided
lol
fica990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fica990
satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By satyrgod

Isn't this just a thread for christians to come and bash the atheists?

MightyWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MightyWarrior

No, I won't tolerate that. 

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#24  Edited By AssertingValor

Where is the " I'm a Pagan" thread?

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LordMaverick said:

Where is the " I'm a Pagan" thread?

You could always start one

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#26  Edited By AssertingValor

"Snickers"

_Hawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By _Hawk_

Does this mean that there will be no more Atheist in the Religion thread?

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kuonphobos

@_Hawk_ said:

heh heh

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kuonphobos said:

@_Hawk_ said:

heh heh

If that is the case then it also means there will be no more theists in the religion thread either.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kuonphobos

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@kuonphobos said:

@_Hawk_ said:

heh heh

If that is the case then it also means there will be no more theists in the religion thread either.

It will become as quiet as a sanctuary.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kuonphobos said:

@kuonphobos said:

@_Hawk_ said:

heh heh

I always considered that thread to be used to discuss/debate religion and topics related to it.The atheist and theist threads I presume are for people who fall into those categories.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kuonphobos

@kuonphobos said:

@kuonphobos said:

@_Hawk_ said:

heh heh

I always considered that thread to be used to discuss/debate religion and topics related to it.The atheist and theist threads I presume are for people who fall into those categories.

IDK. As I have tried to demonstrate on the religion thread we all operate from different views of reality. When you get down to the fundamentals, religion is moot. To me religion means all the variant structures which have grown up from ever so many doctrines and dogmas, etc. At the core the fundamental difference between an atheist and a theist is the belief in the possibility of anything that goes beyond a materialist/empirical view of reality.

So in theory the religion thread should be discussion (for example) between a Hindu and a Muslim or between various people's understandings of those religions. But as you well know it becomes a running debate between science and supernatural. So I think a thread like this (or the theist or apatheist etc) will become preaching to the choir (so to speak) if no one of a differing opinion participates. The theist thread will ideally have theists patting themselves on the back and they will get bored. Opposing views will come along and take pot shots and all will basically devolve into the religion thread.

Just my two pennies worth of pseudointellectual smuggity.....

FTW!

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kuonphobos said:

@kuonphobos said:

@kuonphobos said:

@_Hawk_ said:

heh heh

IDK. As I have tried to demonstrate on the religion thread we all operate from different views of reality. When you get down to the fundamentals, religion is moot. To me religion means all the variant structures which have grown up from ever so many doctrines and dogmas, etc. At the core the fundamental difference between an atheist and a theist is the belief in the possibility of anything that goes beyond a materialist/empirical view of reality.

So in theory the religion thread should be discussion (for example) between a Hindu and a Muslim or between various people's understandings of those religions. But as you well know it becomes a running debate between science and supernatural. So I think a thread like this (or the theist or apatheist etc) will become preaching to the choir (so to speak) if no one of a differing opinion participates. The theist thread will ideally have theists patting themselves on the back and they will get bored. Opposing views will come along and take pot shots and all will basically devolve into the religion thread.

Just my two pennies worth of pseudointellectual smuggity.....

FTW!

I think the religion thread encompasses that but also what I mentioned as well.

As for threads like this,I dont know really.It might disappear or even end up getting locked or it might flourish and be a thread people still comment on for years to come.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kuonphobos

As for threads like this,I dont know really.It might disappear or even end up getting locked or it might flourish and be a thread people still comment on for years to come.

Well at least it would be a place a bit more specific than the "religion" thread where we could take up our previous conversation about the relationship between atheism and Communism.

Might I ask (if it isn't too personal) what (if anything) led you to your current perspective on atheism? I mean I am obviously not an atheist but I don't harbor any real anger or hatred for either the system or it's followers. You on the other hand have demonstrated both a desire for respectful dialogue as well as the occasional barb at religious people.

One more question. Do you follow football (soccer) and if so any particular team? I have played and followed football for most of my life and was just interested.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By willpayton

Atheism is a manifestation of the desire to know the truth. Religious people, while many or all will say they care about truth, are really just interested in believing what they want to believe. Here I mean "want" in the subconscious way. This is why it's rarely fruitful to have an argument or discussion about religion with a religious person... they dont want to hear anything that contradicts their established view.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kuonphobos said:

Well at least it would be a place a bit more specific than the "religion" thread where we could take up our previous conversation about the relationship between atheism and Communism.

Might I ask (if it isn't too personal) what (if anything) led you to your current perspective on atheism? I mean I am obviously not an atheist but I don't harbor any real anger or hatred for either the system or it's followers. You on the other hand have demonstrated both a desire for respectful dialogue as well as the occasional barb at religious people.

One more question. Do you follow football (soccer) and if so any particular team? I have played and followed football for most of my life and was just interested.

Thats true I suppose it would.

I have never been really religious nor was I brought up in a particularly religious way.I stopped believing in god a long time ago (I never truly did,it was just because I was too young to understand certain things I believed in god) but I did believe in an after life for some time,because my parents are spiritualists.But I started to look into religion and belief,and debates on them that kind of thing and I began to broaden my mind more and more I soon realized there was no afterlife.And the more I learnt about religion the more I grew to dislike and disagree with it,the more I realized the power it had over so many peoples lives the awful things people did because of it etc.And the notion that it should not be questioned and how we (atheists) are discriminated against because of not been religious.And how wrong that was.I am anti religious but not "anti person" Meaning I dont really hold any hatred or anger against religious people,its the religion itself that I dont like and yes there are certainly alot of religious a holes I dont like,because they hold such hate filled and ignorant views.I also dont respect religious viewpoints what I do respect is that persons right to hold such views,even though I may not agree with them.

I suppose to sum it up I continuously thought about things and thought them over and over.

When you say perspective on atheism I presume you mean why am an atheist?

No I dont follow football not really that interested in it.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kuonphobos

@WillPaytonsaid:

Atheism is a manifestation of the desire to know the truth. Religious people, while many or all will say they care about truth, are really just interested in believing what they want to believe. Here I mean "want" in the subconscious way. This is why it's rarely fruitful to have an argument or discussion about religion with a religious person... they dont want to hear anything that contradicts their established view.

I disagree. This is an assumption. Your points concerning the "religious" equally apply to the "non-religious". I am happy to hear points that disagree with my own view of reality. Perhaps one day someone will discover quality enough evidence to alter my position. You cannot possibly know how much I and many other theists struggle with our understanding of what is "true". As you and yours so abundantly point out, it is the religious who have the up hill fight.

@mrdecepticonleader

said:

I have never been really religious nor was I brought up in a particularly religious way.I stopped believing in god a long time ago (I never truly did,it was just because I was too young to understand certain things I believed in god) but I did believe in an after life for some time,because my parents are spiritualists.But I started to look into religion and belief,and debates on them that kind of thing and I began to broaden my mind more and more I soon realized there was no afterlife.And the more I learnt about religion the more I grew to dislike and disagree with it,the more I realized the power it had over so many peoples lives the awful things people did because of it etc.And the notion that it should not be questioned and how we (atheists) are discriminated against because of not been religious.And how wrong that was.I am anti religious but not "anti person" Meaning I dont really hold any hatred or anger against religious people,its the religion itself that I dont like and yes there are certainly alot of religious a holes I dont like,because they hold such hate filled and ignorant views.I also dont respect religious viewpoints what I do respect is that persons right to hold such views,even though I may not agree with them.

I suppose to sum it up I continuously thought about things and thought them over and over.

When you say perspective on atheism I presume you mean why am an atheist?

Yes. Thanks.

No I dont follow football not really that interested in it.

OK. Just was wondering. Hope there was no offense in my assumption that just because you are in Britian (right?) you are a football fan. I was actually just playing the odds.

Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By Chaos Burn

Atheist thread? Cool, anyone else read 'The Selfish Gene' yet? Quality book, would always recommend

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By King_Saturn
@_Hawk_ said:

@kuonphobos said:

@_Hawk_ said:

heh heh

@kuonphobos said:

@kuonphobos said:

@_Hawk_ said:

heh heh

You're not gonna escape me that easy... lol 
kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By kuonphobos

Heh heh....

Bring it! =)

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kuonphobos: No offence taken.

@King Saturn said:

@_Hawk_ said:

@kuonphobos said:

@_Hawk_ said:

heh heh

@kuonphobos said:

@kuonphobos said:

@_Hawk_ said:

heh heh

lol

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Yo imma bump this so atheists could just leave the religion thread and settle here.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ARMIV2

So, I was correct. Well, back on topic.

I never understood why Christians think that asking GOD to bless their food will protect them from sickness. We all know that blessings are delusions.

It's more of a sign of gratitude for being able to eat.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@willpayton: "Athiesm is just a manifestation of the desire to know the truth."

False. Atheism is the absolute absence of belief. You can give zero f#cks about Science and still be the perfect Athiest.

Somewhere along the line the term "Athiest" got confused with word "Scientist".

Just thought id put my two pennies in and I'm also sorry if I didn't quote what you said w4w, mobile.

EDIT: woops... Did not notice how old this thread was. Sorry for the reply.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: "Athiesm is just a manifestation of the desire to know the truth."

False. Atheism is the absolute absence of belief. You can give zero f#cks about Science and still be the perfect Athiest.

Somewhere along the line the term "Athiest" got confused with word "Scientist".

Just thought id put my two pennies in and I'm also sorry if I didn't quote what you said w4w, mobile.

EDIT: woops... Did not notice how old this thread was. Sorry for the reply.

Atheism is simply a lack of belief in god/gods not the absolute absence of belief.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By kuonphobos

@mrdecepticonleader: Se I told you a thread like this was floating around out there. =)

You said: Atheism is simply a lack of belief in god/gods not the absolute absence of belief.

As a core boiled down definition yes but it means so much more than just a simple definition. It grows in it's purview when politics, ethics and philosophy are seen through it's lens.

I guess I am beginning to note a little dishonest agenda behind the idea that "atheism" can be boiled down to a simple definition and then just left in a vacuum. Like any view on reality a simple definition can only be truly understood by how it manifests in reality through the actions of those who hold it as true. Because different people come from differing political, ethical and philosophical systems each of their "atheist" presuppositions will be colored by the variations which will lead to a more multifaceted understanding of what it means (and looks like) to be "atheist".

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: Se I told you a thread like this was floating around out there. =)

You said: Atheism is simply a lack of belief in god/gods not the absolute absence of belief.

As a core boiled down definition yes but it means so much more than just a simple definition. It grows in it's purview when politics, ethics and philosophy are seen through it's lens.

I guess I am beginning to note a little dishonest agenda behind the idea that "atheism" can be boiled down to a simple definition and then just left in a vacuum. Like any view on reality a simple definition can only be truly understood by how it manifests in reality through the actions of those who hold it as true. Because different people come from differing political, ethical and philosophical systems each of their "atheist" presuppositions will be colored by the variations which will lead to a more multifaceted understanding of what it means (and looks like) to be "atheist".

Yes. But not one I made. But I am glad this one got bumped since I posted a link to the census thread I posted, and then I forgot what I called it. So that was nice.

That is all atheism is the definition I posted that is it. But people seem to always like to tack more onto the term, like assume that all atheists are left wing, are anti religion, are pro choice are for equal marriage etc. Someone who simply does not believe in god, meaning they are an atheist can be or support anything across the board. There is no single ideology or dogma or view point when it comes to simply not believing a god exists. One atheist is more than likely to have very little in common with another except they don't believe in a higher power.

And yeah the term atheist does not say much about you when compared with saying you are a Muslim or a liberal or whatever else. But it doesn't need to. What it does say is that you don't believe in god and you follow no religion. That is an important thing to identify as when we are in the minority, when the majority of the world still subscribe to religion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So my friend said that a friend of his mother had these "demon dogs" because they killed these puppies, and I was like, "Why would God even make Satan in the first place if he knew he would be evil, to make those demon dogs? It doesn't make sense."

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So my friend said that a friend of his mother had these "demon dogs" because they killed these puppies, and I was like, "Why would God even make Satan in the first place if he knew he would be evil, to make those demon dogs? It doesn't make sense."

Omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent beings always screw around with logic. Lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_black said:

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek said:

Omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent beings always screw around with logic. Lol

I know right. If you're omnipotent and omniscient, why would you knowingly make something evil?