The 6 Most Frequently Quoted Untrue Statistics

#1 Posted by vance_astro (90093 posts) - - Show Bio

I must admit I never heard of the one about the Spiders...

#2 Posted by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio

Heres another one. "You can believe everything you read on the Internet. Maybe I missed it but I see no sources to support any claims made on that site. I can sit here and say scientists agree that Gambler is the coolest name ever to be created without any sources to back it up.

I'm not saying those statistics aren't true, but I learned awhile ago that for every scientist who says one thing, theres another who'll say the opposite.
Post Edited:2008-05-12 18:43:49

#3 Posted by Jax (6182 posts) - - Show Bio

WARNING SOME LANGUAGE AND SUBJECTS NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN 12 AND YOUNGER.

True title.

The 6 Most Frequently Quoted Bullsh*t Statistics

Here's the link.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16241_6-most-frequently-quoted-bullsht-statistics.html

The you only use 10% of your brain one I thought was false anyway. Why? Because scientists would have been found a way to tap into that unused power so we could destroy cities and create anything.

#4 Posted by pixelized (49085 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank god the spider one was false.

#5 Posted by Jax (6182 posts) - - Show Bio

pixelized says:

"Thank god the spider one was false."

It would be funny if 8 creepy crawlies actually managed to get into your mouth without you knowing. Then I would be grossed out.

#6 Posted by Jax (6182 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"Heres another one. "You can believe everything you read on the Internet. Maybe I missed it but I see no sources to support any claims made on that site. I can sit here and say scientists agree that Gambler is the coolest name ever to be created without any sources to back it up. I'm not saying those statistics aren't true, but I learned awhile ago that for every scientist who says one thing, theres another who'll say the opposite.
Post Edited:2008-05-12 18:43:49"

Well I thought they explained it well enough under Why is it a Load of Crap. Not enough evidence to prove these claims for you?

#7 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio

I teach AP Statistics. Bottom line, you can say anything you want with statistics. It's all about where the data came from. Who was in the sample and what was the sample size. You can ask 2 people something then say 100% agree blah blah blah. Unfortunately the course doesn't go into that angle of stats.

#8 Posted by Gloom (3020 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the explanation for the brain potential one is pretty logical, and so is the 30-minutes-before-swimming-rule one.

Avatar image for lillya_wildchild
#9 Posted by Lillya WildChild (5301 posts) - - Show Bio

Although spiders are occasionally seen doing stupid things, it's safe to assume they have enough wit to realize when they're about to crawl through the mouth of a damned giant. If the giant white teeth aren't enough to deter them from going spelunking down your dark, wet throat (apparently no other animals have these) you'd think the heavy draft and deafening snoring sounds would be some sort of indication of how terrible a home your mouth would be.

I love the way that is writen!

Avatar image for lillya_wildchild
#10 Posted by Lillya WildChild (5301 posts) - - Show Bio

30% of men don't think about sex during the day at all. (you know, that is not a high number...and why the hell shouldnt they!? are they too young to know what sex is? Hell i THink about it everyday.))

Because you're not a Gremlin. As you may have already guessed, water does not, in fact, bear properties that form a cramp of death, should you get in the water after eating. ((heheh gremlins. ^^))

#11 Posted by The_Ghostshell (84303 posts) - - Show Bio

Jax says:

"Gambler says:
"Heres another one. "You can believe everything you read on the Internet. Maybe I missed it but I see no sources to support any claims made on that site. I can sit here and say scientists agree that Gambler is the coolest name ever to be created without any sources to back it up. I'm not saying those statistics aren't true, but I learned awhile ago that for every scientist who says one thing, theres another who'll say the opposite.
Post Edited:2008-05-12 18:43:49"

Well I thought they explained it well enough under Why is it a Load of Crap. Not enough evidence to prove these claims for you?"

It would take more then just one website to convince me of anything. Again, I'm not total dismissing it, but I certainly wouldn't say its fact either. One of the people responding to that site had a pretty cool quote,

"There are lies, there are damned lies, and then there are statistics." -Mark Twain

#12 Posted by Resonate (14551 posts) - - Show Bio

84.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot

#13 Posted by King Saturn (223216 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm...interesting. Very interesting

#14 Posted by NiteFly (1535 posts) - - Show Bio

"You Only Use 10% of Your Brain"

This one is actually quite false, so he is right on the money with at least one of them.