Tech vs Evolution

Shaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shaper

Now I don't want this to be a Religion vs Evolution theory thread, it's just a simple question that my teacher said we were going to talk about next week when I asked her about it. So, all opinion based and try to give some reasons for it. Do you believe that technology has halted our evolutionary process?

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Octagon Enigma

Nope. I think it has only altered the evolutionary path. Instead of evolving physically, we will begin evolving mentally. That's just my hypothesis though.

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Sparda

That's a (IMO) good question.

I'd say in general....well.....maybe.....I mean, we have machines and stuff to lift things too heavy for us, but would that be considered halting evolution?

Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jax

I think we would evolve mentally but our physicall strength will surely decrease because lack of exercise or something. Our brains will be able to do more.

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Octagon Enigma

Jax says:

"I think we would evolve mentally but our physicall strength will surely decrease because lack of exercise or something. Our brains will be able to do more."

I could see TK being involved.

Shaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shaper

Example: Human don't really need to evolve to weather, or conditions because we have tech protecting us. If we go to the Arctic, we have heating clothes and a bunch of clothing. We aren't like animals who don't have that stuff. Like the Cougar. Towards the north the Cougar has more fur and feet that are made for walking on snow. While the Florida Panther (Which is the cougar) evolved or adapted to the swampland surroundings.

Octagon Enigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Octagon Enigma

Shaper says:

"Example: Human don't really need to evolve to weather, or conditions because we have tech protecting us. If we go to the Arctic, we have heating clothes and a bunch of clothing. We aren't like animals who don't have that stuff. Like the Cougar. Towards the north the Cougar has more fur and feet that are made for walking on snow. While the Florida Panther (Which is the cougar) evolved or adapted to the swampland surroundings."

Maybe we can evolve our urine to fuel cars... eliminate our oil problems...

Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jax

Octagon Enigma says:

"Jax says:
"I think we would evolve mentally but our physicall strength will surely decrease because lack of exercise or something. Our brains will be able to do more."
I could see TK being involved."

Me too.

Eternal Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Eternal Chaos

In my opinion, Technology and Evolution work together for our survival. When we were cavemen, we used to be covered in hair however as time passed by and we developed other means to maintain our warmth, we lost our hair. Technology is causing our evolution to remain more subtle and more psychological as opposed to physical.

Avantar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Avantar

Actually the fact that we have developed tech to provide us protection from the weather suggests that evolution cannot do the job. If so the constant exposure to the incliment weather would still adapt. It also doesn't explain survival until that point. If you believe in evolution, then please provide one example of where new genetic material was created to offset a deficiency without the species dying off first. If evolution happens over long periods of time,then how could any creature adapt before dying?

Shaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shaper

Avantar says:

"If evolution happens over long periods of time,then how could any creature adapt before dying?"

The Florida panther did. It took a long time and I'm sure many die but they adapted to Florida.

Avatar image for essentiallyheroes
EssentiallyHeroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technology is human evolution. We have the ability to retain and share information. This increased from person to person to planetary reach. More advanced technology is the inevitable outcome of that.

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a few decades, will we really be having more sex with robots than with fellow human beings, and ultimately, will we turn into robots ourselves? Man’s fascination with the future is well documented and is tied to our fascination with mortality, and there is no shortage of theory to feed into this frenzy. Man’s dalliance with technology and advances in medical research have meant that evolution as we understand has changed and natural selection is no longer the dominant method through which it occurs, as populations that would have previously gone extinct are able to live and propagate due to technological interventions. More importantly, genetic engineering now gives human beings the capacity to edit genes; changing, removing or adding things to them, which dictates the direction evolution might go in the future, and what this might mean for society.

OrangeVegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a member of the Adeptus Mechanicus, evolution and technology are the same.

cyborgzod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Technology is just another environmental factor that will affect our evolution.

BaftDastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're saying have we biologically adapted less significantly because we've developed technologies solve much of our problems then maybe but I'm not really sure enough time has passed for any significant changes to occur. If we have then I'd say it was inevitable the moment humans realised that it was easier to pick up a rock and bash someone's head over with it than evolve harder fists.