Swear words

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What exactly is wrong with them? I was watching a video the other day that got me thinking about them. I mean, I didn't mind the concept at first, but I never went into thinking if the whole thing is stupid or not, until a certain grade a under a made a video on it.

You can use non-swear words to make something sounding far more unnerving than anyone who ever uses the word. Take for instance the common F word... I could say "moving my erect penis in her tight, slippery wet Asian vagina until I cum" <- no swear words, or someone can just say F and it is implied, or any number of things that will not swear and go into great detail of that word's meaning. You could do this to any swear word out there.

Nor do I think any kids really are that innocent anymore at 8, 9, 10, etc - where they should be necessarily sheltered from any use of this language, nor do I think it scars them, or anything else. My dad was a drunken sailor in language when I was growing up, never scarred me, nor did I think there was anything wrong with it, to be honest. The only time I ever really cared was when I was religious, and 'clean mouths', etc - but I no longer buy much into any of that, nor do I think it is a "moral good" to censor yourself unnecessarily.

And the beeping? That is almost more annoying when you bleep out a word. Especially when the volume is up.

Avatar image for the_thereminist
The_Thereminist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol at this thread, but yeah I fully agree. In conversation I swear so casually that most people don't really even notice the 5 f bombs I dropped in a single sentence.

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought about how stupid swear words were for years. Shit never made sense to me. "We'll create these words just so we can shun them in society" like wtf

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 SC  Moderator

I think the main issue with swear words is more to do with peoples general inability to explain certain ideas well, with depth and nuance and context, and so we give certain ideas more weight than necessary, because traditionally we gave them more weight than necessarily, as well as certain special properties, around them being taboo and immoral.

I can explain to my lil sister, that I am okay with her swearing around me, but that there will be some situations in her life, where others may not be as tolerable, and they unfairly judge, discriminate or hold her use of language against her. How its important to learn why and how such people exist, and why she may opt to be more careful with her language around them. Take her school for example. I want her to get a good education, might not happen if her school or teachers have strict anti swearing policies. Its more complex naturally, but for brevity sake.

So then she might and has had questions for me, and I usually have really good answers already prepared, and if I don't, I'll try and learn the best answers, but yeah... in contrast, my parent taught me... swearing is wrong. Why is it wrong? Because they said so. Also don't question their authority again. Which is basically what my parent parents taught her, and so on. They weren't linguistic experts, or well educated on history, or society. They were very nice and considerate people, and occasionally they gave me ice cream, and I love them for that, but eh... behavior and what was okay and not okay, was mostly just because of authority and not understanding. Its also why most of them would actually start to swear a lot when they got drunk in older years... its not like they actually believed swearing was wrong... they just didn't want their 9 year old nephew swearing at Church on Sunday giving the family a bad reputation... and its just easier to tell someone the reason they shouldn't do something is just 'because'.

Movies that children can see, probably shouldn't have swearing in them in the sense... swearing is usually emphasized a certain way, naturally... so if this occurred 'organically' in a movie, kids would probably pick up on it, and kids are dumb, and prone to stupid behavior like repeating a word over and over again loudly, and I don't think a lot of parents would be able to deal... many would... but because the ones that can't, well... same could be said for websites, some people could use swear words in mature, contextually appropriate ways... others use it to spam insults with caps lock, to try and antagonize or rile up people. If I somehow magically ran CV, I would change the rules to allow swearing, but I'd probably be way less tolerant of certain other behaviors, but hey. For a website with a 'younger' base, maybe a more general generic rule is appropriate.

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought about how stupid swear words were for years. Shit never made sense to me. "We'll create these words just so we can shun them in society" like wtf

To be fair, that is the one argument I did hear that was against the censorship that I didn't understand. People should realize this: that most of these words were along long before they were considered inappropriate. At some point they became known as vulgar, but they didn't just invent the word up as a word you can't use.

That being said, the concept of having these words not being used in any sense, just isn't quite reasonable.