Straight But Not Narrow respect thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

@King Saturn: @mrdecepticonleader: I'm not trying to start something (again) but isn't saying "black church's are homophobic" defining a large group of people based on aspects that they never chose?

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Betatesthighlander1:Well I never actually said all those churches are like that,I was really saying that ones that are,it is ironic considering how black people were treated during the slave trade and the 60s and now it seems to be homosexuals turn in a sense.

Aspects they never chose???

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: I'm saying you guys are saying "black churches" when you mean a specific group of black churches.

When your talking in public (or where everyone on the internet will always be able to see what you said), you should really be careful about generalizations, especially about race

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Betatesthighlander1 said:

@mrdecepticonleader: I'm saying you guys are saying "black churches" when you mean a specific group of black churches.

When your talking in public (or where everyone on the internet will always be able to see what you said), you should really be careful about generalizations, especially about race

I never said that or made that generalization though.Since I don't actually know the numbers of churches that are like that.It was Saturn who made the post not me.I never ever make generalizations.

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: i was really responding more to King Saturn than you in all honesty

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: i was really responding more to King Saturn than you in all honesty

Well whatever you say.

I just wanted to make it clear.

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#207  Edited By satyrgod

@Betatesthighlander1: "I'm saying you guys are saying "black churches" when you mean a specific group of black churches. When your talking in public (or where everyone on the internet will always be able to see what you said), you should really be careful about generalizations, especially about race"

It seems to me that 'black churches' are a specific group within the broader categories of 'christian' churches in the US. The generalization would be that 'christians', especially black church members, choose to reject equal rights in relation to sexual orientation despite their own struggles with civil inequities. The question would be whether you disagree with this observation.

MidApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By MidApollo

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@King Saturn said:

I wonder if the Black Church will ever accept Homosexuality fully ? Cause I really don't see a turn yet within the Black Christian Community about acceptance of this yet.

I just find that ironic.

yeah this, kidnof

@MonsterStomp said:

Sure man. I'm not going to hate on a person because of who they are. One exception for all the bullies out there. Come at me aye.

bullies are just insecure people who don't think that they are worthy of anything so they try to look cool or brave by bullying someone, it's their twisted way of impressing someone - like some jocks in high school they bully to impress girls or to have a bad boy image ... pathetic really

@INLIFE said:

Humanity still cannot fully accept that fact that it is humanity.

A species, one of near infinite dozens, in a marvelous universe that one can only astonish.

Such a universe will never be explored rightfully by us and be given some true worth until we realize that there is no true division between us.

Gay or straight; we are simply human. Nature has had a hand, but we can go forth and create our own horizons.

Can we just have equality and fully increase the efficiency of human progression? The world is changing, as it is only natural, and so are we. Who knows what lies beyond these times?

Normally i try to stay positive - but maaaan, that day will never happen in the near future :p

MidApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By MidApollo

of course no generalization - and that is what i've been saying in the whole entire thread - if someone generalizes a whole community - that someone might be stupid - and i am sure that - King Saturn wasn't generalizing all black churches ^_^

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By satyrgod

Speaking of generalizations regarding black churchgoers, have you ever attempted to pick up a black guy after church? Geeze, I got more action at funerals..!

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@satyrgod said:

Speaking of generalizations regarding black churchgoers, have you ever attempted to pick up a black guy after church? Geeze, I got more action at funerals..!

ha ha ha ah ha.

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@satyrgod: you seriously see nothing wrong with making statements like this about "black people"

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By satyrgod

@Betatesthighlander1: "you seriously see nothing wrong with making statements like this about "black people" ".

Obviously. But you seem to take issue with it; what's that about?

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#214  Edited By _Zombie_

@danhimself said:

I'm going to be completely honest here....I do not understand the whole gay and lesbian thing

you see when a man likes wienies a whole lot..

MidApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By MidApollo

@satyrgod:Haha i don t know, people are not very religious in Paris especially young people

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@satyrgod:

so, you guys are saying balck people shouldn't be homophobic because they have also been through segregation, so they should know better than to segregate

but than, in the same statement, you are arbitrarily judging an entire race of people, despite belonging to a group that is also segregated

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@satyrgod:

so, you guys are saying balck people shouldn't be homophobic because they have also been through segregation, so they should know better than to segregate

but than, in the same statement, you are arbitrarily judging an entire race of people, despite belonging to a group that is also segregated

Well I just took that thing about churches and funerals as a joke.I am pretty sure that is all it was.If you're referring to me at all (?)

MidApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By MidApollo

Betatesthighlander1: who is judging black people i am sure he was joking lol i personally hate racists just as much as i hate Homophobes if not more coz i think people should get over the race differences already, - it surprises me that there are still racists in this effed up world

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By satyrgod

@Betatesthighlander1: "so, you guys are saying balck people shouldn't be homophobic because they have also been through segregation, so they should know better than to segregate but than, in the same statement, you are arbitrarily judging an entire race of people, despite belonging to a group that is also segregated"

There are so many things wrong with that statement that I don't really know where to start... there is one race; the human race. I am not judging an entire race, but I am also not judging! And the whole segregation thing? I don't know where you got that, either (unless you have misinterpretations on the meaning of the word).

I made a generalization regarding predominately male heterosexual black church-goers in the United States declining my homoerotic advances following their religious services. I fail to see how a rational individual would conclude allegations of prejudice based solely on ethnicity when so many additional variables indicating behavior (undoubtibly considered appropriate within the context of their cultural paradigm) for a specific micro-societal cohort are present.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By King_Saturn

@King Saturn: @mrdecepticonleader: I'm not trying to start something (again) but isn't saying "black church's are homophobic" defining a large group of people based on aspects that they never chose?

The Reality is that The Majority of Black Churches have not taken a turn to accept Homosexuality ( especially in the South ) and that is mainly because the Black Church holds heavy to the tenets in the Bible considering Homosexuality... now obviously there are some Black Christians who are not Homophobic... but they are the minority... hence why I say "I wonder when the Black Church will accept Homosexuality fully" meaning completely, insinuating that some ( the minority ) already do. 
MidApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By MidApollo

@King Saturn said:

The Reality is that The Majority of Black Churches have not taken a turn to accept Homosexuality ( especially in the South ) and that is mainly because the Black Church holds heavy to the tenets in the Bible considering Homosexuality... now obviously there are some Black Christians who are not Homophobic... but they are the minority... hence why I say "I wonder when the Black Church will accept Homosexuality fully" meaning completely, insinuating that some ( the minority ) already do.

Nicely said!!

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#222  Edited By Vortex13

@satyrgod: Speaking as a straight man who has been hit on by gay men, I have no problem with it, I take it as a complement. However (and this only happened once) when a gay guy is particularly persistent even after you tell them you are not gay it is somewhat... uncomfortable and really kind of rude of the person as well. It is no different from a man persistently pursuing a woman even after the woman says she is not interested. So that may be why you don't get positive results from hitting on straight men lol.

But to each their own.

MidApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By MidApollo

@Vortex13: i was gonna make the str8 man hitting on a woman comparison but noticed that you did it lol good job haha

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Vortex13

@MidApollo: Lol, thanks. Again I have no problem getting hit on by men, it's just that one time the guy was very forceful about it lol. That actually happened with a girl once in high school, My friend was on a date, he brought me to be a wing man the girl brought a friend too and her friend kept like leaning up against me and like trying to get her arms around me, and I had not interest it was just very uncomfortable for me. I didn't want to be rude either and be like get off of me but yeah it was not a good time for me.

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By satyrgod

@Vortex13:

Speaking as a posterboy for alternative lifestyles, I have been hit on by men, women and livestock, so I can relate to discomfort. I wouldn't want to put anyone in an awkward position... situation; I wouldn't want him in an awkward situation. Practically speaking, his discomfort is counter-productive as he would want to get away rather than get closer. But how would I know whether a guy might be interested unless I pursue it? That means I'm gonna be turned down more often than not. But, I can still network with the guy to facilitate meeting potentially interested parties. But only if I don't drive him away first.

MidApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By MidApollo

@Vortex13: haha than you must be a pretty good looking guy xD so yeah just enjoy it as compliments

@satyrgod: Lucky you - i don't dare enough to hit on people :/

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Vortex13

@MidApollo: Not really lol, That girl was known for being..... promiscuous. As for being hit on by gay men I go to North Hampton a lot lol. To give you perspective on that North Hampton is in Massachusetts and it's pretty much the San Fransisco of New England. It's a small city (if it can even be referred to as a city, more like a large town). Anyway here is the sixth definition on UrbanDictionary.Com and definitely the most accurate to me,

Northampton33 up, 22 down
A cool town in western Mass, Comprised mostly of hippy's, Gays, Lesbians, and people with fohawks. Northampton is Liberal beside the right wingers that nobody can understand why the F*** they live there. Also Dubbed "Lesboville" and "hippiville. It is also one of the top places to retire in the USA.
"Hey you wanna go to hadley"
"No Hadley is a dump and Northampton is F***ing awesome"
"oh Yeah"
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By Vortex13

@Vortex13: On another note, I'm proud to live in the first state in the US that legalized gay marriage.

MidApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By MidApollo

@Vortex13 said:

@MidApollo: Not really lol, That girl was known for being..... promiscuous. As for being hit on by gay men I go to North Hampton a lot lol. To give you perspective on that North Hampton is in Massachusetts and it's pretty much the San Fransisco of New England. It's a small city (if it can even be referred to as a city, more like a large town). Anyway here is the sixth definition on UrbanDictionary.Com and definitely the most accurate to me,

Northampton33 up, 22 down
A cool town in western Mass, Comprised mostly of hippy's, Gays, Lesbians, and people with fohawks. Northampton is Liberal beside the right wingers that nobody can understand why the F*** they live there. Also Dubbed "Lesboville" and "hippiville. It is also one of the top places to retire in the USA.
"Hey you wanna go to hadley"
"No Hadley is a dump and Northampton is F***ing awesome"
"oh Yeah"

@Vortex13 said:

@Vortex13: On another note, I'm proud to live in the first state in the US that legalized gay marriage.

looks like u just convinced me to retire there - of course i need to move to the US first - but i will and i will xD

And it's nice to have people like you :)

Avatar image for living_monstrosity
Living_Monstrosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@satyrgod:

Well I just took that thing about churches and funerals as a joke.I am pretty sure that is all it was.If you're referring to me at all (?)

i wasn't really referring to you, and i realized the whole black funeral thing was a joke, it was pretty funny and stuff i geuss

@satyrgod said:

There are so many things wrong with that statement that I don't really know where to start... there is one race; the human race. I am not judging an entire race, but I am also not judging! And the whole segregation thing? I don't know where you got that, either (unless you have misinterpretations on the meaning of the word).

are you gonna argue semantics with em? fine, you are arbitrarily judging an entire ethnicity of people. people are saying that they think it's ironic that black people don't like gay people.

@satyrgod said:

I made a generalization regarding predominately male heterosexual black church-goers in the United States declining my homoerotic advances following their religious services. I fail to see how a rational individual would conclude allegations of prejudice based solely on ethnicity when so many additional variables indicating behavior (undoubtibly considered appropriate within the context of their cultural paradigm) for a specific micro-societal cohort are present.

if it doesn't matter that their black, why are you pointing out that their black.

@King Saturn said:

why black churches as opposed to churches in general, or people in general for that matter, why specify black churches and call them out. why are you differentiating based on race, in addition to that, I'd like to see your statistics on where black Christians will and won't accept gay people

@MidApollo said:

Betatesthighlander1: who is judging black people i am sure he was joking lol i personally hate racists just as much as i hate Homophobes if not more coz i think people should get over the race differences already, - it surprises me that there are still racists in this effed up world

well terms like "racist" and "homophobe" get a bit difficult to define, a very small minority devote their lives to disfranchising people, but a lot of people don't see any problem with making judgments based on race or sexuality, because they don't call themselves racists or homophobes.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Vortex13

@MidApollo: Not to dampen the idea but some other towns in western Mass are a little bit conservative... but by Massachusetts standards so way less so than other places that would be considered conservative by the rest of the country. There is high a percentage of people from different countries there two. So you would probably fit in lol. French right?

@Living_Monstrosity: This thread serves a different purpose really.

MidApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By MidApollo

@Living_Monstrosity: this : @Vortex13 said:

@MidApollo: Not to dampen the idea but some other towns in western Mass are a little bit conservative... but by Massachusetts standards so way less so than other places that would be considered conservative by the rest of the country. There is high a percentage of people from different countries there two. So you would probably fit in lol. French right?

@Living_Monstrosity: This thread serves a different purpose really.

@MidApollo said:

well terms like "racist" and "homophobe" get a bit difficult to define, a very small minority devote their lives to disfranchising people, but a lot of people don't see any problem with making judgments based on race or sexuality, because they don't call themselves racists or homophobes.

well see for me making judgments base on race or sexuality is racist and homophobic kindof - but in this thread noone is judging no one really... at least i don't think so...

MidApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By MidApollo

@Vortex13 said:

Well i am Armenian who's been living in Paris for almost 4 years - 20 years old.

Well i'll live in San Francisco and retire in Mass than haahah

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By Vortex13

@MidApollo: ..... My sister is dating an Armenian that grew up in Paris. That's a funny coincidence lol.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By King_Saturn

@King Saturn said:

why black churches as opposed to churches in general, or people in general for that matter, why specify black churches and call them out. why are you differentiating based on race, in addition to that, I'd like to see your statistics on where black Christians will and won't accept gay people

Because I am an African American who is making an Observation about what I know and have seen. I can't speak on Churches in who have Predominately White Members or Latino Members  because I have been only to a few of them but I have been to Dozens of Black Churches and know several Black Pastors who are against Same Sex Marriage... So yeah, I call them out because I know how it is ( especially in the South ) like I said before there are some who are not against Same Sex Marriage but they are the Minority. As far as my Stats, that's easy... I have been to over 40 different Black Churches and not one of them was for Same Sex Marriage... so essentially my stats are bias heavy against Same Sex Marriage ( worst than the 70 percent of Blacks who voted for Prop 8 ). As far as other polls... the only thing that is evident is that the tide of overall acceptance of Same Sex Marriage is changing for the positive.  
MidApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By MidApollo

@King Saturn said:

@King Saturn said:

Because I am an African American who is making an Observation about what I know and have seen. I can't speak on Churches in who have Predominately White Members or Latino Members because I have been only to a few of them but I have been to Dozens of Black Churches and know several Black Pastors who are against Same Sex Marriage... So yeah, I call them out because I know how it is ( especially in the South ) like I said before there are some who are not against Same Sex Marriage but they are the Minority. As far as my Stats, that's easy... I have been to over 40 different Black Churches and not one of them was for Same Sex Marriage... so essentially my stats are bias heavy against Same Sex Marriage ( worst than the 70 percent of Blacks who voted for Prop 8 ). As far as other polls... the only thing that is evident is that the tide of overall acceptance of Same Sex Marriage is changing for the positive.

and noone blames "black" people - Armenians are very homophobic too - coz they tend to be conservative :) same must be with African Americans :)

@Vortex13 said:

@MidApollo: ..... My sister is dating an Armenian that grew up in Paris. That's a funny coincidence lol.

maybe that's an alternate universe me where i am straight - like when Colossus was gay in ultimate x-men xD - funny coinkidenk indeed xD Armenians are taking over the worrrlllldddd! xD

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By satyrgod

@King Saturn: I have been to over 40 different Black Churches and not one of them was for Same Sex Marriage... so essentially my stats are bias heavy against Same Sex Marriage ( worst than the 70 percent of Blacks who voted for Prop 8 ). As far as other polls... the only thing that is evident is that the tide of overall acceptance of Same Sex Marriage is changing for the positive.

Are you homo, too?

@MidApollo: "Armenians are taking over the worrrlllldddd! xD"

Every Amenian I've come across (or even met) has been really cute. Is that the norm, or am I only seeing what I want to see?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By King_Saturn
@satyrgod said:

@King Saturn: I have been to over 40 different Black Churches and not one of them was for Same Sex Marriage... so essentially my stats are bias heavy against Same Sex Marriage ( worst than the 70 percent of Blacks who voted for Prop 8 ). As far as other polls... the only thing that is evident is that the tide of overall acceptance of Same Sex Marriage is changing for the positive.

Are you homo, too?

negative
satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By satyrgod

@King Saturn:

You're a negative homo?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By King_Saturn
@satyrgod said:

@King Saturn:

You're a negative homo?

I am not homosexual... 
satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By satyrgod

@King Saturn:

Well, nobody's perfect.

You cute?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By King_Saturn
@satyrgod said:

@King Saturn:

Well, nobody's perfect.

You cute?

I guess some would say that... 
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Betatesthighlander1:Ah okay.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By Vortex13

@MidApollo: Well you're different ages, so probably not lol. Still pretty funny though.

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By satyrgod

@Vortex13: when a gay guy is particularly persistent even after you tell them you are not gay it is somewhat... uncomfortable and really kind of rude of the person

You told him you're straight? And you're surprised that he continued to test the waters? Man, don't tell 'em that if you're not interested, it only renders you more in demand, more desirable. We've all had crushes on some hetero guy at some point, because we want what we can't have, the forbidden fruit (or non-fruit, in this case... meat, I suppose). Better to tell him he's not your type, that drives us away every time.

Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@satyrgod: do you use a similar strategy when a lady attempts to attract you?

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By satyrgod

@Betatesthighlander1: do you use a similar strategy when a lady attempts to attract you?

Good question. Actually, yes I do. I begin with ignoring her (usually obvious and clumsy attempts at) flirting; but then she generally escalates matters to awkwardly asking me out point-blank. I tell her 'I'm flattered, but you're really not my type... now, if you had a brother...'

( ;

MidApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By MidApollo

@satyrgod said:

Are you homo, too?

@MidApollo: "Armenians are taking over the worrrlllldddd! xD"

Every Amenian I've come across (or even met) has been really cute. Is that the norm, or am I only seeing what I want to see?

you are seeing what you wanna see haha

satyrgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By satyrgod

@MidApollo:

Or perhaps I have a warped interpretation of 'cute' or 'sexy'... or 'appropriate'.