Something about Season 4 of Supergirl I don't understand

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 76

#1  Edited By shroudofsorrow

So my understanding is that the character Nia Nal is transgender. However, the character is described as female, has a female body, and uses female pronouns. But it's my understanding that transgender is, to quote my online dictionary:

"...denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender does not correspond with their birth sex."

But her body is female AND she is described as female. So how is she transgender? Or am I just missing something? This is a question that's sort of been bugging me and I was hoping someone could give me an answer. What is it about Nia that makes her transgender?

Dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2 Dernman  Online

The Virtue Signal

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By shroudofsorrow
Avatar image for deactivated-5ca9389143922
deactivated-5ca9389143922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...I still don't get it.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AngelJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe you should educate yourself on the topic more?

I think you'd do much better doing actual research from reliable sources than coming to Comic Vine.

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angeljax said:

I think you'd do much better doing actual research from reliable sources than coming to Comic Vine.

Agreed that one should do their own research on more reliable sources on things they really care about. But there is also no rule where you can't get the opinion of others on serious topics on this vine, which I firmly believe one can often have an interesting case to putting the question forward.

And if you think there is great research to be had, bring it here, otherwise, this isn't going to be helpful for what the purpose of asking here was, and is just being annoyed.

On topic: I would probably want to see the fourth season's character you bring up to understand this controversy, because I feel like there is something not really added to this explanation here, and as such, I wouldn't know. SG is trash, two seasons was more than I care to watch. Smallville SG for the one season we got of her, was infinitely superior to this one.

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shroudofsorrow

@theonewhopullsthestrings said:
@angeljax said:

Agreed that one should do their own research on more reliable sources on things they really care about. But there is also no rule where you can't get the opinion of others on serious topics on this vine, which I firmly believe one can often have an interesting case to putting the question forward.

And if you think there is great research to be had, bring it here, otherwise, this isn't going to be helpful for what the purpose of asking here was, and is just being annoyed.

On topic: I would probably want to see the fourth season's character you bring up to understand this controversy, because I feel like there is something not really added to this explanation here, and as such, I wouldn't know. SG is trash, two seasons was more than I care to watch. Smallville SG for the one season we got of her, was infinitely superior to this one.

I completely disagree. I think Melissa is pretty perfectly cast as Supergirl. And unlike the Smallville version, she actually gets a proper costume instead of dull everyday clothes. I don't think the Smallville version was "infinitely superior" at all. Honestly, I take rather the opposite view. The show itself fluctuates in quality a lot, but I don't think Smallville's Supergirl was in any way better than the Arrowverse version. Crappy design, less screen time, less interesting relationships with the other characters, etc.

As for the character in question:

https://arrow.fandom.com/wiki/Nia_Nal

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shroudofsorrow:

LOL because it's actually a guy who is dressed as a female and is using female hormones to change their body to look like a female.

S(he) also has a twin who is a male. However because of gender dysphoria s(he) doesn't feel like s(he) fits into their birth gender, therefore wants to be addressed as a female and is trying to change their body to become like that of a female. S(he) still has all the male reproductive organs.

You should read more about what a transgender is honestly.