Some problems with atheism

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ilikecoffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Atheism is the view that it's more plausible than not that no god exists. As such, atheism is a belief system that leads to logical inconsistencies, leaps of faith, and bizarre conclusions. In this article I'm going to briefly touch upon several reasons for why atheism is irrational.

For the sake of clarity, my definition of world will mean all of existence--which is how most philosophers define it. I'd also like to draw your attention to the difference between an actual infinite and a potential infinite. An example of a potential infinite would be if one were to start at zero, and then continually add one, forever (i.e. 1, 2, 3...); this is normally understood to be the natural numbers. An example of an actual infinite would be if all of the natural numbers were present at once. I'm also going to assume the truth of the basic proposition that the world has either always existed or it hasn't. With all of this in mind, let's explore the ramifications of atheism and its ability to explain the origin of the world.

The atheist must believe that the world has always existed or it hasn't, but neither of these beliefs make logical sense under atheism. If the atheist believes the world has always existed, then they believe there has been an actually infinite number of changes leading up to the present. But how can an actually infinite number of changes transpire? It would be like having an actually infinite number of black dominoes all leading up to a white domino that represents the front, and before the white domino can be touched, all of the black dominoes must first fall down one after the other. The idea of the white domino ever being touched seems to be logically impossible; and if the white domino were ever touched by the long series of black dominoes, then it'd be rational to conclude that there wasn't an actually infinite number of black dominoes. Similarly, it would make more sense to believe that the reason why we can observe the present is because there has only been a finite number of changes prior to it.

As for the idea of the world being past-finite, that runs into its own problems under atheism. For the atheist would have to believe that the past-finite world came into being from literally nothing. But literally nothing has zero potentiality and no properties. In a state of affairs where there is only nonbeing, there is literally nothing to cause anything, let alone the world. Please remember that by world I mean all of existence, which would include something like the quantum field; and if the atheist wants to say the quantum field is past-infinite, then they're brought back to the problem raised earlier.

A third problem for atheism comes in the form of evolution. Put in rough terms, the theory of evolution posits that there are random genetic mutations and these mutations are passed down if the organisms that possess them survive and reproduce. This means the atheist must believe that our brains are the byproducts of an unsupervised process that favors these sorts of genetic mutations. The problem here is if this is how evolution functions and if there's no oversight by an intelligence, then evolution wouldn't necessarily lead to the creation of brains that are reliable for ascertaining truth. For a false belief or a predisposition towards producing a false belief may lead to increasing the chances of an organism surviving and reproducing. For example, let's say there was an organism whose predators were most active during the day time. In this scenario, the true belief that the organism should hide during the day lest it be eaten and the false belief that the organism should hide during the day lest it be burned up by the sun's rays would do equally well for increasing the organism's survivability with respect to avoiding its predators. The second problem is it'd be possible for false beliefs to be developed that neither increase or decrease the survivability and reproductive capacity of a species, and so these kinds of genetic mutations would neither filter out nor be favored. After millions of years of evolution, this could lead to species that possess a plethora of these kinds of false beliefs. What follows from all of this is good grounds for the atheist who accepts evolution to doubt the reliability of their brains and the beliefs that they produce, including atheism itself.

The last problem with atheism that I'll write about is that it is too narrow in its explanation for the ontology of the world. There may come a day when scientists can completely describe the workings of the world, but that wouldn't tell us why the world exists. To use an analogy, let's say that while hiking through the woods one evening a person comes across a piece of unknown technology and they take it home to study and tinker with. After months of observing, predicting, and testing, they're able to completely describe how the piece of technology works. However, despite this new found knowledge, the person still knows nothing about why the piece of technology exists, or who (if anyone) created it. The same holds true for the world. Atheists tend to forget about this other kind of explanation.

As you can see, the atheist has some explaining to do. How can there be a set of an actually infinite number of things; and how can that series of things be sequentially traversed? How can nonbeing produce being? How can unsupervised evolution lead to brains that are aimed at finding truth? Why are our brains not filled with false beliefs? What does atheism tell us about why the world exists? There are other issues and questions regarding atheism, but for now, this article will have to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39421825b35
deactivated-5a39421825b35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed...maybe. I'm not gonna read all that. I hate reading.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jonez_

writing in legalese does not help your argument, I just want to put that out there

if you give me a concise tl;dr proving that atheism is illogical I'll play along

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just here for the comments.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

?????

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By dshipp17

Well, from the position that I've been getting, from the scientific community, when it comes to existence, as in the Earth and Universe, atheists do believe that the Earth, at least, had a beginning; they just think it happened by chance, beginning with the death of a prior start that than lead to the birth of our star from debris left over; everything swirled until eventually the sun and the planets existed, where one was Earth. And, now, based on this hypothesis that they want to believe is a scientific fact, they set out looking for it to have happened elsewhere for the past 20 years or so, when the first exoplanet was spotted; however, so far, none of the exoplanets bare a resemblance to our solar system, yet alone the Earth. Although it was just an idea, atheists behave as if it's as real as traveling from the United States to Britain and expect to find it. So, either you believe Genesis from the Bible or this basically thought experiment that lots of people consider real who are non-religious or non-Christian.

Shadowwaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great and all, but have you looked into cui bono?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Oh boy. What have you done? CV atheists are coming with the pitch forks now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@dernman said:

You're being nice when you say Pitchforks, it's much worse than that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By dernman

@all-father said:
@dernman said:

You're being nice when you say Pitchforks, it's much worse than that.

They're going to eat him alive. They'll beat that horse dead and continue doing so long after. They're going to keep at him until he offs himself just to escape the constant never endingness of it.

Unleashing the Kraken and let slip the Dogs of War have nothing on them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc1684d074f9
deactivated-5cc1684d074f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many words, so little meaning.

Change the word atheism with religion/god and you could make the same argument.

I can get behind why people believe in a god or creator of sorts, But i would say muslims or christians have allot more to explain.

The only difference between Atheism and religion is that Atheism does not make up answers for questions they can not explain.

I as an atheist/agnostic can atleast admit that i dont know all the answers in the world, Religious people on the other hand claim they know everything without any proof or explanation.

Shadowwaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ilikecoffee: If you want to add fire to the flame, just tell the atheists that our eyes haven't evolved.

Streak619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Streak619

@ilikecoffee: so many things wrong, I don't know where to begin.

1)"Atheism is the view that it's more plausible than not that no god exists."

Really? REALLY? You're gonna type a post, put it out where everybody can see it and get the ONE THING you're arguing against wrong? Atheism is not the belief that god doesn't exist, it isn't the belief that god probably doesn't exist, it is the rejection of the belief that god exists. Sheesh.

2)"As such, atheism is a belief system that leads to logical inconsistencies, leaps of faith, and bizarre conclusions."

Oh my god, is it too much to ask for no fallacious assertions in the first 2 sentences? Atheism is a lack of belief, a rejection of belief, anyone who believes that god doesn't exist or god likely doesn't exist is antitheist and is just as unsubstantiated as theists. Atheists are neutral and true atheists question assrtions and don't make faith induced assetions themselves.

3)"The atheist must believe that the world has always existed or it hasn't, but neither of these beliefs make logical sense under atheism. If the atheist believes the world has always existed, then they believe there has been an actually infinite number of changes leading up to the present. But how can an actually infinite number of changes transpire?"

Asides from the fact that you're referring to atheism as a belief, you have assumed that there are only two possiblities regarding the history of the universe? When there are theoretically plenty more than a singular finite and a singular infinite such as the multi world theory and a theory of my invention which I like to call the "cosmic video theory" as well as million other theories that irrefutably defy your assumption that the universe was even created or even exists.

Thirdly, I would like to point out that your arguments employ what appears to be a converse of the 'argumentum ad ignorantium' fallacy which is that something is true if it cannot be proven false. Saying atheists are wrong because they cannot prove that the universe emerged from nothing or that they are wrong because they're unable to prove that an infinitely old universe had a begining infinitely long back is a converse of that fallacy, which is still a fallacy. While I acknowledge that you are simply questioning them, you are doing so with the knowledge that they can't possibly answer your philosophical-metaphysical questions and then you are proceeding to call the lack of a response a 'problem' in their stance which is still a fallacy.

4)"This means the atheist must believe that our brains are the byproducts of an unsupervised process that favors these sorts of genetic mutations."

That is a logically weak, and otherwise false, inductive argument. You can't use the premises of we existing, as your basis for asserting that processes that created life, favour genetic mutations tgat lead to us. When in reality, it is an essential and a well known fact among the scientific community that the processes that did create us do NOT favour us, it is quite the contrary. The natural processes that created us took billion years or to create us, it was a battle against horrible probabilities of life existing. In fact, if the first complex compund of complex organic materials, that formed by pure chance, and eventually lead to the first spark of life did not form, We wouldn't be here today. So no, the formation of life and ideal genetic mutations is almost perfectly unfavoured.

5)"There may come a day when scientists can completely describe the workings of the world, but that wouldn't tell us why the world exists."

Another unsubstantiated, unprovable claim. You never fail to provide an array of statements in which you arbritarily jump to conclusions.

I'm not even gonna bother with the rest regarding the formation of the Earth etc. Before boldly calling the conclusions that innumerable scientists have worked for, spending decades analysing observable, consistent evidence and data, providing hypothesis that survived the intense scrutiny of the best of intellectuals and practically the entire astronomical community, as assumptions, I suggest you actually fact check some of the asinine statements you have made with a simple google, that is literally all it takes.

Streak619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, just noticed I forgot to mention the stupid analogies you used as a basis for several of your core asertions

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh!No What Have you done?

World war 3 has started.