Avatar image for dragonescarlata
#1 Edited by dragonescarlata (423 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously, what's with all this BS of young-adult fiction? Wattpad, Amazon and even I-Tunes is full with Harry Potter clones, Percy Jackson clones and now the most recent Disney fad: Descendants... what -- the -- f.....g -- hell? And you can't walk around a corner without finding a metric ton of the most annoying fanfics: "me and Justin Bieber", "me and Harry Styles", "me and whole cast of the Harry Potter saga".

Really, if I find some more of this I will pull my eyes out of their sockets, just to get rid of them.

Is really no other theme, no other genre? Are nowadays writers so out of ideas? Or it is just me? Am I looking in the wrong places?

Ok... End of the rant, now you can go on with your lives as usual... unless you want to make a rant of your own. :-P

#2 Edited by Dernman (25687 posts) - - Show Bio

heh

#3 Posted by Cable_Extreme (16706 posts) - - Show Bio

I like them, if you don't, just ignore it. If you really do want to pull your eyes out, might be something wrong.

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
#4 Edited by The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk (17515 posts) - - Show Bio

My god, I went into a book store earlier today and saw so many people copying cover design place for place of other popular novels while having some generic theme based on the originals..... pretty sad to see.

#5 Posted by NothingClever (911 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonescarlata: Dude, consider that "50 Shades of Grey" started out as Twilight fan fiction. One weekend worth of verbal diarrhea splattered across a few hundred pages and some nobody becomes a multi-millionaire despite widespread hatred for her writing and its abysmal quality.

It almost makes me want to attempt to vomit forth a deluge of boring, tepid, brain poison for women of all ages so I can retire to my own private island and give nary a **** about my critics (or fans).

You probably shouldn't be too offended by the widespread repetition of themes and character archetypes in series like Percy Jackson (haven't read it, don't care to). Think about every shonnen protagonist: how many of them are basically the same character? So many super heroes are similar to or outright knock-offs of preexisting characters.

Is really no other theme, no other genre? Are nowadays writers so out of ideas? Or it is just me? Am I looking in the wrong places?
Yes you are. You are looking in a trash bin outside a kill shelter and complaining about all the dead animals you find there. Change your genre/category. You can find all kinds of quality writing. I suggest you look up classics in your favorite genres. For example: if you really like sci-fi, look up Phillip K. Dick or Robert A. Heinlein.
My two cents...
#7 Posted by russellmania77 (17601 posts) - - Show Bio

Percy Jackson n all that descendant crap is horrible in my opinion

#8 Posted by hatemalingsia (15494 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok.

#9 Edited by Rouflex (35970 posts) - - Show Bio

Get lost in the arms of Carrie and leave us alone with your tears.

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

#10 Posted by RoboShark (2637 posts) - - Show Bio

When I lived in Missouri last year I found Hellboy Odd Jobs in the "young adult fiction" section. Always thought that was ridiculous.

#11 Posted by Ryagan (5298 posts) - - Show Bio

Just ignore the books. I ignore books in general.

#12 Posted by ILikeBigTits (799 posts) - - Show Bio

Twilight, Hunger Games, Divergent etc... all craptastic.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
#13 Posted by deactivated-59dfd33ed3601 (5575 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate all this new era bs tbh

#14 Posted by ScouterV (7764 posts) - - Show Bio

@neonindian said:

I hate all this new era bs tbh

#15 Posted by Pipxeroth (8845 posts) - - Show Bio

Percy Jackson n all that descendant crap is horrible in my opinion

How dare you.

JK

But fanfictions for anything are cancer, especially for already crap things like twilight.

#16 Edited by BatWatch (5487 posts) - - Show Bio

I literally don't understand the point of this thread. Are you saying YA fiction sucks? Are you saying derivative YA fiction sucks? Are you saying fan fiction sucks? Are you saying there are too many YA fiction books on the market because there are literally bookstores full of books with Young Adults only taking up about ten percent of the real estate.

#17 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

“Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.”

Mark Twain

#18 Posted by MakkyD (6989 posts) - - Show Bio

Look at other genres, there are plenty of them available.

#20 Edited by Spidey_Jackson (6351 posts) - - Show Bio

@nothingclever: I highly suggest you read Percy Jackson.

It's good man.

Beata

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#21 Posted by Fallschirmjager (23431 posts) - - Show Bio

its a good thing there is countless numbers of books and genres. you can choose something you do like

I'm currently listening to Dune on audible :)

#22 Posted by RDClip (2792 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever, hopefully reading YA crap will lead those kids into reading some good fiction. Anything that gets teenagers to read books is a good thing.

As for adults that read crappy YA books, I have no defense for them.