Should there be an Oscar for Best Voice Acting Performance??

loyngulpany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should there be an Oscar for Best Voice Acting Performance?? (18 votes)

Yes, there should be 83%
No, the Oscar has enough awards 17%

For me personally, yes because I feel like voice acting is the most underrated skill or talent.

• 
BruceVeidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think there should be.

Maybe other awards, but not an oscar.

Yes, voice acting is a very underrated talent. But at the end of the day, it's just voice.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No but maybe Mocap?

Dunno

Wilkins17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined: the oscares underate and dont take animation seriousley as a medium. Seriouly they dont even watch all the animated movies that literuly get sent to there house and thats there job.so i do think there should be a award for it i dont think its gonna be any time soon.

loyngulpany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@payneintheass: Yeah I bet Andy Serkis would win that award easily. He performed mocap in some movies like the LOTR trilogy and Apes trilogy.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I do. I think it's time to give voice actors some recognition. I think it would be a better Oscar category than some of the ones we already have, like Best Production Design.

Also, a little off topic, but if this were a real award, who do you think would have won it last year? I'm thinking Benjamin Bratt, the voice of Ernesto de la Cruz in Coco.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined: the oscares underate and dont take animation seriousley as a medium. Seriouly they dont even watch all the animated movies that literuly get sent to there house and thats there job.so i do think there should be a award for it i dont think its gonna be any time soon.

True. In the entire history of the Oscars, only 3 animated movies have ever been nominated for best picture; Beauty and The Beast, Up, and Toy Story 3.

That's it. They completely ignored so many animated classics like The Lion King, Toy Story, Toy Story, The Incredibles, Zootopia, and How to Train Your Dragon.

loyngulpany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: I think for me it will be Ed Helms as Captain Underpants, Benjamin Bratt as Ernesto Dela Cruz like you said and Will Arnett as Batman from The Lego Batman Movie.

I will also add these voice performances

2014 - Chris Pratt as Emmett, Ty Burrell as Mr Peabody and Scott Adsit as Baymax

2015 - Bill Hader as Fear from Inside Out, Bill Melendez as Snoopy from The Peanuts Movie and Tom Kenny as Spongebob from Sponge out of water

2016 - Ellen DeGeneres as Dory, Dwayne Johnson as Maui from Moana and J.K. Simmons as Mayor Lionheart from Zootopia

If this is a true award who do you think should win on my list??

loyngulpany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: And BTW we have the same opinion. The man who voiced Ernesto should win

CyberAnt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe not voice acting itself, but if the voice is a part of a motion capture performance then yes, I'm still confused as to how Andy Serkis has yet to win an Oscar for his motion capture performances.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't see why not.

loyngulpany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberant: What if they seperated it with both Best Motion Capture Performance for live action movies and Best Voice Acting for animated movies??

loyngulpany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be great. Probably raise the bar for voice acting too.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, voice acting is a very underrated talent. But at the end of the day, it's just voice.

+1

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: I think for me it will be Ed Helms as Captain Underpants, Benjamin Bratt as Ernesto Dela Cruz like you said and Will Arnett as Batman from The Lego Batman Movie.

I will also add these voice performances

2014 - Chris Pratt as Emmett, Ty Burrell as Mr Peabody and Scott Adsit as Baymax

2015 - Bill Hader as Fear from Inside Out, Bill Melendez as Snoopy from The Peanuts Movie and Tom Kenny as Spongebob from Sponge out of water

2016 - Ellen DeGeneres as Dory, Dwayne Johnson as Maui from Moana and J.K. Simmons as Mayor Lionheart from Zootopia

If this is a true award who do you think should win on my list??

2014: Chris Pratt from The Lego Movie

2015: Bill Hader from Inside Out

2016: J.K. Simmons from Zootopia

CyberAnt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cyberant: What if they seperated it with both Best Motion Capture Performance for live action movies and Best Voice Acting for animated movies??

I personally don't believe that would work, because if it is separated in such a way it would allow anybody to be up for such awards.

Anybody can be trained to follow a choreography and anybody can be instructed as to what they should be saying and how to say it.

If you combine both into a single category it only allows those who truly excel at their craft the shot of winning such a prestigious award.

Avatar image for diarrhea_regatt
Diarrhea_Regatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Diarrhea_Regatt

Hell yeah it takes talent to really sell it. Queen Latifah as Ellie in Ice Age was alright but Robin Williams as Genie in Aladdin was incredible!

Diarrhea_Regatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renny said:
@bruceveidt said:

I think it's an underrated talent too. I wouldn't mind seeing an Oscar for it. I think of the voice actor for Scar in Lion King. Excellent.

Jeremy Irons can do no wrong.

BruceVeidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell yeah it takes talent to really sell it. Queen Latifah as Ellie in Ice Age was alright but Robin Williams as Genie in Aladdin was incredible!

Dude your username still cracks me up everytime i read it lol

Diarrhea_Regatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diarrhea_regatt said:

lol Yeah it's a keeper.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By ProfessorRespect

@diarrhea_regatt said:

I fixed it. I'm not sure if usernames are limited to 15 characters or if I just screwed up the first time.

I'm not sure if this would be considered an alt since the names are identical but this is my primary account now if I have to I'll deactivate my other one.

BruceVeidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruceveidt said:
@diarrhea_regatt said:

I fixed it. I'm not sure if usernames are limited to 15 characters or if I just screwed up the first time.

I'm not sure if this would be considered an alt since the names are identical but this is my primary account now if I have to I'll deactivate my other one.

lmao

Alright, man

loyngulpany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diarrhea_regatt: I agree with that. Sadly Robin Williams is dead. No one can voice Genie as perfect as him.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ProfessorRespect

@loyngulpany said:

@diarrhea_regatt: I agree with that. Sadly Robin Williams is dead. No one can voice Genie as perfect as him.

I miss Robin he was pretty great in Happy Feet also.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loyngulpany: I wish Sigourney Weaver would do more voice acting I loved her narration on The Discovery version of The Planet Earth series.

She's got a hell of a sexy voice!

loyngulpany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

At the end of the day acting is just a body and face, vaguely conveying emotion, sometimes even correctly.

So if that gets an Oscar then VA work can get one too.

:P