Should polygamy be legal?

• 152 results
Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: Should polygamy be legal? (66 votes)

Yes 50%
No 42%
Results 8%

Do you think that people should be allowed to have more than one spouse? Would you have more than one, if given the chance? Would you marry me? Discuss, plz bby.

#101 Edited by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

So many flags in this thread.

On-Topic, yes, it should be legal, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone.

#103 Edited by Thekillerklok (10149 posts) - - Show Bio

@major_hellstorm: Well I had moved past that point, You asked what I meant by that and I elaborated on post 93.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76
#104 Posted by deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76 (10909 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#105 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@dernman: Because that mostly leads to love triangle, not marriage. I live in a Muslim country where polygamy is pretty common and that rarely happens.

The older wife always gets neglected, it almost feels like she becomes a freaking slave not wife anymore. Remember, this was the woman that this male supposedly pledged to.

Also, the idea of woman hitting up a married man is kinda pathetic to me. There are a lot of single male, damn... whores.

Thank you!

We live in a society where anything goes these days, the institution of marriage was always suppose to be between one man and woman. And yes polygamy is anti woman.

#106 Posted by Thekillerklok (10149 posts) - - Show Bio
@ccraft said:
@khael said:

@dernman: Because that mostly leads to love triangle, not marriage. I live in a Muslim country where polygamy is pretty common and that rarely happens.

The older wife always gets neglected, it almost feels like she becomes a freaking slave not wife anymore. Remember, this was the woman that this male supposedly pledged to.

Also, the idea of woman hitting up a married man is kinda pathetic to me. There are a lot of single male, damn... whores.

Thank you!

We live in a society where anything goes these days, the institution of marriage was always suppose to be between one man and woman. And yes polygamy is anti woman.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/polygamy

Please note that polygamy means more then one spouse of either gender...

I think you are referring to https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/polygyny

#107 Edited by Dernman (26230 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:
@khael said:

Thank you!

Tell me how an all male polygamy unit, an all female polygamy unit is anti female, if it's one woman two guys if it'a one guy and two bi woman. Even if it's one guy two straight woman doesn't mean it has to be anti female.

Edit: khael I'll respond to your comment later if I feel like jumping back into it again later or if you're not banned for when things got heated with that other user earlier..

#108 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael: The negative side of polygamy reminds me of Jacob and his two wives, and the problems that came from that. Rachel being the one who Jacob was suppose to marry, and being tricked into marrying Leah. Rachel became sour when she couldn't bare children for Jacob.

#109 Posted by SeaGod (4829 posts) - - Show Bio

yes, maybe, and no

#110 Posted by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Those that you have described would be detrimental to society and family. If we are talking about man with many wives, which would be more likely, then it is anti woman, because what's stopping the older man from finding a much younger wife when his wife gets too old? Polygamy is riddled with abuse. Same could be said about same sex polygamy.

@thekillerklok:Males are the ones who would speak polygamy more than woman.

#111 Edited by mimisalome (5516 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think its necessary.

Most countries already have divorce so people, regardless of gender, can marry as many times as they want.

#112 Edited by Dernman (26230 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

@dernman: Those that you have described would be detrimental to society and family. If we are talking about man with many wives, which would be more likely, then it is anti woman, because what's stopping the older man from finding a much younger wife when his wife gets too old? Polygamy is riddled with abuse. Same could be said about same sex polygamy.

@thekillerklok:Males are the ones who would speak polygamy more than woman.

What's stopping them? First what makes you think a man can just add anyone to the marriage without the wife's permission? A true equal polygamy marriage alike any duo one is equality and all have a say. The wife would have to not only want another one in but that particular one in. THat doesn't even address all the other versions of I stated besides strait man woman or two woman one man. You're have a very narrow view of what polygamy is. This isn't the 1920. Woman have a say in what goes on unless you're in a country where they don't which again isn't polygamy's fault but that cultures.

Again I'm not in favor of it nor would i like it if it became legal but there just isn't a good reason for it not to be. At least not one posted here or I've ever seen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0845740eb0b
#113 Posted by deactivated-5b0845740eb0b (1578 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthp2000 said:

@major_hellstorm said:

Nope but it will be. The philosophy of a majority of people these days is "If it doesn't hurt anyone, then why not?" so it will be legal and common place one day.

Everything is so true about this post.

Indeed.

#114 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthp2000 said:

@major_hellstorm said:

Nope but it will be. The philosophy of a majority of people these days is "If it doesn't hurt anyone, then why not?" so it will be legal and common place one day.

Everything is so true about this post.

Indeed.

Is there anything wrong with that philosophy?

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
#115 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18078 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424: Not directly. But it could lead to a lack of foresight (since there are things that if you do now won't hurt anybody, but might in the future) and I personally find it too passive.

#116 Edited by ccraft (12437 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Well if you respect the institution of marriage you would know it is between one man and one woman and God, that is the golden standard for thousands of years. That is what family is. To change the meaning of family and marriage will not only hurt children, but the nation too.

Maybe you don't care what people do in their personal lives, and neither do I, but when people try to redefine marriage and family, that effects the nation. I don't like that. Our nation was built on Judeo-Christian values, and we are losing what used to make us a great nation.

I don't if you have a girlfriend, wife or a significant other, but could you really see yourself having to deal with another woman, they are psycho!

#117 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

Christianity has been holding us back as a species for years. It needs to be abolished.

#118 Posted by HigherPower (12400 posts) - - Show Bio

Uh-oh.

Prepare your umbrellas, shitstorm incoming...

#119 Edited by Dernman (26230 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

@dernman: Well if you respect the institution of marriage you would know it is between one man and one woman and God, that is the golden standard for thousands of years.

Not everybody believes in your version of what institute of marriage is. Not even those who are believers all believe that. You can't say it's disrespectful if their commitment is true.

That is what family is. To change the meaning of family and marriage will not only hurt children, but the nation too.

Again not all people agree what family is. Hell if one parent dies or was never married does that make the rest less of a family? No

Maybe you don't care what people do in their personal lives, and neither do I, but when people try to redefine marriage and family, that effects the nation. I don't like that. Our nation was built on Judeo-Christian values, and we are losing what used to make us a great nation.

Though I've become agnostic I have mad respect but you need to realize not all people believe in Judo-Christianism. Hell not all Christians even believe or interpret it the same way.

Unless you can give me reasons that pertain to more that just Judeo-Christians then it holds no water to those who don't prescribe to that.

-----------------------------

Edit: I must have mistaken you for someone else because I thought you fell in line more with the left side of things.

#120 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18078 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424: If Christianity was abolished something would take its place (something worse probably because no offense to Muslims but if they became the #1 religon, things would get bad).

#121 Posted by Dernman (26230 posts) - - Show Bio

@major_hellstorm: Ignore him. He's one of those who can't think rationally when religion or Christianity is brought up.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#122 Posted by buttersdaman000 (23025 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

@dernman: Well if you respect the institution of marriage you would know it is between one man and one woman and God, that is the golden standard for thousands of years. That is what family is. To change the meaning of family and marriage will not only hurt children, but the nation too.

I don't if you have a girlfriend, wife or a significant other, but could you really see yourself having to deal with another woman, they are psycho!

Oh man, I can't wait till people stop thinking like this smh

Avatar image for emperor_jar_jar
#123 Posted by Emperor_Jar_Jar (509 posts) - - Show Bio

It's not natural. No.

#124 Edited by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@major_hellstorm: I mean religion in general.

But I don't think things would be much worse with Islam. Both religions advocate for horrible things. It's just that a lot more Muslims actual practice the things in their book, while most christians only do what's convenient for their social structure.

#125 Edited by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@major_hellstorm: Ignore him. He's one of those who can't think rationally when religion or Christianity is brought up.

Lmao. You know that the reason he's in this in thread is because I linked him, right? I can think rationally about it. However it's an irrational concept. I treat it as it should be. A fictitious concept.

but nice job putting me into a box to discredit my notions.

#126 Edited by Dernman (26230 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:

Lmao. You know that the reason he's in this in thread is because I linked him, right? I can think rationally about it. However it's an irrational concept. I treat it as it should be. A fictitious concept.

smh I would laugh if it wasn't so damn sad.

You put yourself in a box with every post you make on the subject. If only you were a little more self aware and not blinded by your own bias you would see that.

Nice try passing off the buck but try again until you find someone stupid enough to buy into your bs.

#127 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:

You put yourself in a box with every post you make on the subject. If only you were a little more self aware and not blinded by your own bias you would see that.

Nice try passing off the buck but try again until you find someone stupid enough to buy into your bs.

is there a point to your post, or . . .?

your post boils down to "I can force My judgement of you on others because I don't like what you say"

i said nothing that was untrue. I simply have no tolerance for fairytales.

Another load of bullshit, served up by Dernman.

#129 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

@dernman:

Funny enough, The US is the least Christian, Christian country. It was founded by Christians, with an anti-christian bill of rights, which directly contradicts the 10 commandments.

But our country has gradually been getting better, as our country becomes progressively less Christian. Hmm look at that.

#130 Edited by Dernman (26230 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:

your post boils down to "I can force My judgement of you on others because I don't like what you say"

THat you're being ignorant, hypocritical and behaving like an ass which in all honestly is all I ever see you do on ComicVine. Do you have anything else to offer as a human being or is that all there is to you?

THat's ironic because that's what you're doing. Your lack of self awareness is staggering. My stance is I don't know and neither can you really. I don't care if you believe in god or not. Just don't belittle others belief especially when you can't even prove your own. If a believer was acting like you i'd be saying the same thing.

Keep proving my point.

Correction you mean revan2424. Seems bs is all you have to offer.

Do yourself a favor and everyone else for that matter......stop acting like a bigot.

#131 Posted by BumpyBoo (14812 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah. It wouldn't work out the way people are envisioning it.

Agreed.

#132 Edited by Major_Hellstrom (18078 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424: Meh, a large portion of religious people don't negatively affect anyone and their beliefs can give them happiness.

Well, that's the thing. Islam has way more extremists these days.

#133 Edited by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:

THat you're being ignorant, hypocritical and behaving like an ass which in all honestly is all I ever see you do on ComicVine. Do you have anything else to offer as a human being or is that all there is to you?

THat's ironic because that's what you're doing. Your lack of self awareness is staggering. My stance is I don't know and neither can you really. I don't care if you believe in god or not. Just don't belittle others belief especially when you can't even prove your own. If a believer was acting like you i'd be saying the same thing.

Keep proving my point.

Do yourself a favor and everyone else for that matter......stop acting like a bigot.

lol.

>calls me ignorant

>is dernman

>calls me a hypocrite

>is dernman

>talks about self awareness

>is dernman

>calls me a bigot

>is dernman

The pure irony in you noting my 'lack of self awareness' is astounding. Keep it up, hombre.

#134 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424: Meh, a large portion of religious people don't negatively affect anyone and their beliefs can give them happiness.

Well, that's the thing. Islam has way more extremists these days.

The people aren't problem. The institution is. Like Christian legislatures in the U.S. They don't want homosexuals to be together because their magic stories tell them to,

Avatar image for deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f
#135 Posted by deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f (6669 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424: I'd marry you. But only if you were part of my polygamous harem.

#136 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

bet. let's get ashley to join.

#137 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18078 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424: 1. Untag me when you quote me in your other conversation please. Lol. 2. Well, to be honest the church p's stance flip flops from church to church, I think even the Pope was okay with gay marriage or something.

#138 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424: 1. Untag me when you quote me in your other conversation please. Lol. 2. Well, to be honest the church p's stance flip flops from church to church, I think even the Pope was okay with gay marriage or something.

1. No

2. They are adjusting with the times. Which is good. However it's directly against the book that they read from. So basically, the anti-christian, Christians are the 'good' ones. The ones who actually follow the religion are the 'bad' ones.

#139 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18078 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424: 1. Yes.

2. Give it time, people these days are getting passive and most good Christians are from the previous generation.

#140 Posted by TheWatcherKing (18768 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah. It wouldn't work out the way people are envisioning it.

Agreed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f
#141 Posted by deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f (6669 posts) - - Show Bio

@jardinain2 said:

bet. let's get ashley to join.

Do you mind if I get Kebab to join? He'd love this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84a212043e5
#142 Posted by deactivated-5a84a212043e5 (2790 posts) - - Show Bio

This poll result is so disappointing.

#143 Edited by Dernman (26230 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:

Keep proving my point.

lol.

>calls me ignorant

>is dernman

>calls me a hypocrite

>is dernman

>is dernman

>calls me a bigot

>is dernman

The pure irony in you noting my 'lack of self awareness' is astounding. Keep it up, hombre.

LOL

SO basically all you have is trolling that proves me right. Trying to project all the things you've been onto me.

Good job making your case. smh You've failed so hard on this one.

I think at this point all I have to do is sit back, laugh and let you make my case for me.

#144 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
lol

>calls me ignorant

>is dernman

>calls me a hypocrite

>is dernman

>is dernman

>calls me a bigot

>is dernman

LOL

SO basically all you have is trolling that proves me right. Trying to project all the things you've been onto me.

I think at this point all I have to do is sit back, laugh and let you make my case for me.

I just restated your points, and applied them to you. Which was incredibly accurate, to exhibit your hypocrisy. It worked. Cheers.

#145 Edited by Dernman (26230 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
lol

>calls me ignorant

>is dernman

>calls me a hypocrite

>is dernman

>is dernman

>calls me a bigot

>is dernman

LOL

I just restated your points, and applied them to you. .

Which is called projecting.

Which was, incredibly accurate to exhibit your hypocrisy.

You're right it is incredibly accurate concerning you. Though you calling me a hypocrite implies an admission to all those things I accused you of. Damn you make this so fracking easy.

The difference here and you don't get is I don't have a problem with you not believing in god or religion. Why would I? I don't know if there is one. So that's a fail on your accusation. I'm not surprised it's easier for you want to believe that to sooth your bruised ego. Is it a throbbing pain or does it just stinging?

The one here who's said they have intolerance for other opinions here is you. Me on the other had have just addressed what you claimed, not as opinion but "facts" by saying any claim of fact needs to be proven. Which you still haven't done by the way. Even that was only after you refused and doubled down.

You're just mad now because you got called out on it especially when I stopped being nice and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

It worked. Cheers

Cheers because it worked for me. It helped in proving my point and has the added bonus of being fun when you do all the work for me. It's like you're trolling yourself. haha

OK I'm done. I'll have pity on you. Say whatever you want to try and make yourself feel better it doesn't matter anymore. The damage to you has already been done. There is no coming back from it. lol

Avatar image for fitnesstribesman13
#146 Posted by FitnessTribesman13 (1622 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Just out of curiousity, do you seriously believe that you cannot prove that Santa Claus does not exist?

#147 Edited by Dernman (26230 posts) - - Show Bio

@fitnesstribesman13 said:

@dernman: Just out of curiousity, do you seriously believe that you cannot prove that Santa Claus does not exist?

I think you misunderstood my points or I worded it wrongly. I'll have to look back.

I do know I said some believe he was based on a real man. To elaborate with what I didn't say was and if I remember correctly one of the beliefs was he was just some local, normal, nice, fat man with a beard who gave wooden carved toys to the local village children in the winter. They nicknamed him Saint Nick. (not a real saint just a nick name). Like most myths it grew out from a kernel of truth to something fantastical.

If you're really just asking if I believe the myth is real then the answer is no.

Great now I'm only going to get a lump of coal next year.

#148 Posted by RedHeathen (2255 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, I'd love to have a couple or three husbands.

btw, for people taking up for the mormons and similar, have you watched the Escaping from Polygamy series? Those kids and wives are sooooooooo screwed up. So much neglect and abuse and it is all sanctioned by their version of god. It's not that different from David Koresh did back in '92. All his sweet little brides of underage girls. So precious, right?

And some of them? They have to get state support to get food for their families. You learn about this as well, but I live in an area that has a signify population. Although there aren't multiple wives, there definitely isn't birth control being used. They all for the most part seem to work hard, which is a great positive, and they seem to be supportive of another overall, but clothing, food, jobs, and decent housing seems to be an issue for more than one or two of them - not all for sure.

If EVERYONE was happy with the relationship, then not have more than two people married. There are people who are happy in three person marriages, even those where it is two man with one woman. It goes both ways, and both ways should be respected.

Religious people do not have the end all be all say about marriage, and marriages existed before Judaism did, meaning that it existed before Jesus and ....etc etc etc. good nigth all.

#149 Posted by RedHeathen (2255 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:
@khael said:

Thank you!

misogynistic and unnecessary naming for women. what about the men? the exact same thing can be said of males. further proof of hypocrisy from you. both of you, but ccraft, how can you agree to a woman being a "whore" and yet discuss stuff that is anti-woman? you confirm a misogynistic term for women with one hand and then confirm that an age old OT custom is misogynistic with the other.

i'm curious why you would spurn what is in the OT and sanctioned by the god of the OT? maybe here is where you can teach me something. ???

#150 Posted by RedHeathen (2255 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft said:

@dernman:

Funny enough, The US is the least Christian, Christian country. It was founded by Christians, with an anti-christian bill of rights, which directly contradicts the 10 commandments.

But our country has gradually been getting better, as our country becomes progressively less Christian. Hmm look at that.

How is the Bill of Rights anti-xian?