Should polygamy be legal?

• 152 results
Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: Should polygamy be legal? (66 votes)

Yes 50%
No 42%
Results 8%

Do you think that people should be allowed to have more than one spouse? Would you have more than one, if given the chance? Would you marry me? Discuss, plz bby.

#52 Edited by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424:

Excellent counter.

Yup, not debating religion.

Yeah, a commitment made because of love.

It's not commitment if you get divorce when you're bored.

Conflicts are also solved more often than not, better with more people, as long as they are willing to see the other person's PoV. As many married people are.

Or they end up with depression or divorce. You can't deny the fact that more people with different PoV creates more conflicts.

They can solve this one problem? Great, now they have 3 more.

Based on? I'm gonna need empirical data. Not just your biased, stereotypical assumptions.

Based on why would you look for new wives in the first place. I don't really get this part at all.

If you don't think being bored is one of the reason of polygamy, then you're as delusional as religious person.

This is sad. It's not just 'hitting up other girls', you sexist. Both parties may be interested in another. 3 parties may go into a relationship together. It's not just your bigoted scenarios.

Because the scenario I'm giving happen on Muslim country idiot

“…marry women of your choice, two, three, or four...” [Sûrah al-Nisâ’: 3]

They're sexist, not me

I'm not talking about those countries. Most of those countries are the way that they are because of their own magic sky daddies, and listening to their fairy tales too much. I clearly said western countries.

Hell no, you know they believe in Muhammad right? He's not a fairy tale.

You can't just talk about western country in this topic, polygamy goes worldwide and you still refuse to see the bad side.

I'm talking about not oppressive relationships, not based off of bullshit like religion. (At least the Abrahamic ones)

Well, again.... That's just ignorant because you refuse to see the bad side of the topic.

#53 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:

It's disgusting.

How? Why?

Marriage is about commitment and being faithful to one another. Hitting up other girls while in a marital relationship (which led into polygamy or divorce) is awful

Also, in my belief (Christianity), marriage is about 2 individuals of the opposite sex becoming one in flesh. Not 3 nor 4.

So your fictional magic sky daddy in his book of plagiarism

Don't be a dick it just makes you look like a bigot.

How is stating facts making me be a "dick"? I said nothing that was untrue. Facts>Feelings

Prove your "facts" and for the record I'm agnostic so there is no feeling in the equation.

The burden of proof is one the religious ones. Their notion is the ridiculous one.

#55 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:

@revan2424: Just kill yourself dude.

No Caption Provided

Is that something Jesus would like you to say?

Why do you care all of a sudden?

F'ing asshole.

I think I broke Khael :P

#56 Posted by removekebab (3793 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael: chill dude that shit's gonna get you banned

#57 Posted by BruceRogers (17680 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael: Aren't you taking this a bit too personally?. There is no need to tell anyone to kill themselves lol.

#58 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't for a second, think that the Earth is flat, I know the Earth is flat and motionless. I trust my common sense and intuition over explanations and stuff that I can never prove to myself and have no option but to take other's statement as facts, even though they contradict with my own natural observations and sense. Yup.

Oh boy.

#59 Posted by Dernman (26219 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@dernman: I'm mentioning the most likely scenario that happens all the time in a polygamist country.

Just in those countries that developed it that way. Others can deveop different ways. You're confusing culture of those countries with how it would be everywhere.

It's simple not how that would work everywhere.

It's not universal, of course there are other scenarios like there are other scenario in everything in life.

And yet you only exept the ones you know as to define if it's disgusting or not.

I hate to see this kind of thing happens to anyone. Makes me sick to my stomach, which is why I said it's disgusting.

If you trully accepted other scenarios then you would realize there are scenarios that wouldn't fall under the reasons you gave to say it disgusting

And

There's always a bad side in everything and in this case, it's about these poor people that became a victim of polygamy.

And yet there are good things too. What about all those from different scenarios that can do it without being victims? You're still labeling their love as disgusting.

All the arguments you made can pretty much be used for two people marriage before woman had rights. Even now to some extent many countries. We don't because in those countries where two people couples are ok we've developed a way where it is. There is nothing to say the same thing can be done for polygamy

Don't blame the problems of culture on polygamy because you're blaming the wrong thing.

#60 Edited by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@removekebab said:

@brucerogers said:

@khael: Aren't you taking this a bit too personally?. There is no need to tell anyone to kill themselves lol.

If I'm banned, the he should be banned as well. I'm done with this thread and this asshole.

4. Don't Use Slurs Against Someone's (Supposed) Race, Creed, Religion, Sexual Orientation, Etc.

Using terms that fall under these makes you seem especially ignorant, and well, boring... we've heard it all before so don't bother with it... The community here at the Vine is diverse. That said, everyone will be treated with respect, regardless of skin color, age, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender and the like.

An infraction of this rule is an automatic (permanent) ban.

#61 Edited by Dernman (26219 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:

It's disgusting.

How? Why?

Marriage is about commitment and being faithful to one another. Hitting up other girls while in a marital relationship (which led into polygamy or divorce) is awful

Also, in my belief (Christianity), marriage is about 2 individuals of the opposite sex becoming one in flesh. Not 3 nor 4.

How is stating facts making me be a "dick"? I said nothing that was untrue. Facts>Feelings

Prove your "facts" and for the record I'm agnostic so there is no feeling in the equation.

The burden of proof is one the religious ones. Their notion is the ridiculous one.

Except in this scenario you're the one making the claim of fact, that it's ridiculous. Well now the burden is now on your shoulders. SO prove it or be full of it.

#62 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:
@removekebab said:

@brucerogers said:

If I'm banned, the he should be banned as well. I'm done with this thread and this asshole.

4. Don't Use Slurs Against Someone's (Supposed) Race, Creed, Religion, Sexual Orientation, Etc.

Using terms that fall under these makes you seem especially ignorant, and well, boring... we've heard it all before so don't bother with it... The community here at the Vine is diverse. That said, everyone will be treated with respect, regardless of skin color, age, creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender and the like.

lolz. Where did I make a slur. Where. Show me, plz.

#63 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:

It's disgusting.

How? Why?

Except in this scenario you're the one making the claim of fact that it's ridiculous. You're saying it's a fact and ridiculous that he doesn't exist. Well now the burden is now on your shoulders. SO prove it or be full of it.

No. The one who makes the claim, doesn't necessarily have to be the one to bear the burden of proof. If I claimed that Santa Claus is not real, would I require proof? Obviously not.

But i could show how the story of Jesus is direct plagiarism, or that the idea of a man splitting a sea, or the frogs coming from the sky is ridiculous, or how absolutely asinine the story of Noah's Ark is.

#64 Edited by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424 said:
@khael said:
@removekebab said:

@brucerogers said:

Do you want me to show where you offend and disrespect my religion?

#65 Posted by Dernman (26219 posts) - - Show Bio

@shouvik89: Didn't you go by another name? Why did you change it?

#66 Edited by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:
@removekebab said:

@brucerogers said:

Do you want me to show where you disrespect my religion?

Yes please. I never called insulted you because of your beliefs. I insulted the belief itself, which isn't against the rules. I have every right to insult that hateful, ridiculous ideology. Like it says in the rules of the battle forum: "'That is ridiculous' is a very different thing than saying “you are stupid.” Learn the difference."

I can disrespect your religion all I want. I cannot, and will not, disrespect you because of it. Learn the difference.

#67 Posted by Shouvik89 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Dude, this is my one and only profile here. You can ask the mods if you want to verify.

#68 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

all general rules still apply to every thread, in any Forum Board. A good reminder, is the Big 6.

1. Will this offend anyone of any race, age group, religon, or any parents/guardians?

#69 Edited by Dernman (26219 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:

It's disgusting.

How? Why?

Except in this scenario you're the one making the claim of fact that it's ridiculous. You're saying it's a fact and ridiculous that he doesn't exist. Well now the burden is now on your shoulders. SO prove it or be full of it.

No. The one who makes the claim, doesn't necessarily have to be the one to bear the burden of proof. If I claimed that Santa Claus is not real, would I require proof? Obviously not.

Actually you would. If it was a subject not all people believed the same thing. So since you insist something is a fact and true then the burden is on you.

But i could show how the story of Jesus is direct plagiarism, or that the idea of a man splitting a sea, or the frogs coming from the sky is ridiculous, or how absolutely asinine the story of Noah's Ark is.

Which proves nothing if god is real or not. For all we know ever person who believes in god can have 99.9% about him wrong. It just negates the 99.9.

Also lets not pretend that most believers believe 100% of the story. Hell they can't even agree on the interpretation of those stories when they're from the same religion.

---------------------------------

As for Santa many believe he actually was based on a real man that turned into a myth with outrageous stories.

#70 Posted by Dernman (26219 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Dude, this is my one and only profile here. You can ask the mods if you want to verify.

Woah relax. I just thought you were user who said he believed the world was flat Asgardianbrony or something. I was disapointed that I wouldn't recognize him anymore.

#71 Posted by Shouvik89 (177 posts) - - Show Bio
#72 Edited by LDM (5362 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Monogamy or polygamy, both of them are ok as long as people are happy with it. Though it most likely depends on the skill/caliber of the guy

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84a212043e5
#73 Posted by deactivated-5a84a212043e5 (2790 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna say no because the cultures that DO approve of and practice polygamy treat women like property.

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
#74 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18074 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope but it will be. The philosophy of a majority of people these days is "If it doesn't hurt anyone, then why not?" so it will be legal and common place one day.

#75 Posted by ANTHP2000 (29635 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope but it will be. The philosophy of a majority of people these days is "If it doesn't hurt anyone, then why not?" so it will be legal and common place one day.

Everything is so true about this post.

#76 Posted by HigherPower (12399 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah. It wouldn't work out the way people are envisioning it.

#77 Posted by Thekillerklok (10141 posts) - - Show Bio

@major_hellstorm said:

Sounds like freedom to me.

#78 Posted by Dernman (26219 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthp2000 said:
@major_hellstorm said:

I just had a image of a Vietnam movie where after napalm is being dropped and one soldier complains about the smell prompting another soldier to take a big sniff, light up a cigar, and says "smells like freedom to me"

#79 Edited by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: I think I'm ready to reply.

Just in those countries that developed it that way. Others can deveop different ways. You're confusing culture of those countries with how it would be everywhere.

It's simple not how that would work everywhere.

Yes, but that is still a legit reasoning to be against polygamy because looking from my perspective, it hurts people, I'm not saying all people but it has hurt a lot of people.

And yet you only exept the ones you know as to define if it's disgusting or not.

Seeing how these women are being treated like toys, it sure disgusts me. I'm not talking about all polygamy scenarios, obviously

If you trully accepted other scenarios then you would realize there are scenarios that wouldn't fall under the reasons you gave to say it disgusting

If I have to accept the good side then you have to accept the bad side as well, we can't simply ignore it. In my point of view, if good polygamist can't bring more "people" to their marriage, they would be fine since they still have each other. But these victims of polygamy truly get their life destroyed, being treated like trash, I'm very much against that.

And yet there are good things too. What about all those from different scenarios that can do it without being victims? You're still labeling their love as disgusting.

And what about the scenarios when there are victims? I've heard a lot of those, especially living here myself. I don't think the good side can cover up the bad side. Polygamist would honestly be fine without polygamy because they only do it because they want to, for pleasure. That's not the case about bad side of polygamy, it's exactly like cheating on your spouse but there's nothing the victim can do about it because it's legal. Especially in a country like Arab where women mostly do not work, so they still have to rely to these assholes that practically dumped them.

All the arguments you made can pretty much be used for two people marriage before woman had rights. Even now to some extent many countries. We don't because in those countries where two people couples are ok we've developed a way where it is. There is nothing to say the same thing can be done for polygamy.

Obviously, that isn't okay at all. Being okay and being used to a horrible condition are different.

Don't blame the problems of culture on polygamy because you're blaming the wrong thing.

Honestly marriage would be a whole lot better here without polygamy, that's why I'm against it.

#80 Posted by Thenewguysnm1 (7530 posts) - - Show Bio

it long af il stick to one

#81 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18074 posts) - - Show Bio
#82 Posted by Thekillerklok (10141 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthp2000 said:
@major_hellstorm said:

@thekillerklok: Anarchy is freedom as well.

Let me just arrange these posts in order.

You've gone and abstracted a level to far friend.

#83 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@thekillerklok: Saying polygamy doesn't hurt anyone is very much wrong.

#84 Posted by Thekillerklok (10141 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@thekillerklok: Saying polygamy doesn't hurt anyone is very much wrong.

Now, my premise is as follows

People should be able to live and love how they want as long as they aren't hurting others.

And I am not talking about rustling jimmies of those who judge them based off of a personal cognitive dissonance.

Not blank never hurts blank.

I suspect you are a bit tired.

#85 Posted by ANTHP2000 (29635 posts) - - Show Bio

@thekillerklok said:
@anthp2000 said:
@major_hellstorm said:

@major_hellstorm said:

@thekillerklok: Anarchy is freedom as well.

Let me just arrange these posts in order.

You've gone and abstracted a level to far friend.

Not really, I agree with Major here. Polygamy and anarchy are the ideology of freedom gone too far. (@darthfallax Zaheer taught as that didn't he?) Polygamy completely dishonors the terms of a married couple. The entire ritual, wether it's religious or political, is based on respect towards the other special one.

When you happen to have 10 special ones, I'm sorry but you can't call that "marriage" or "respect".

#86 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@thekillerklok: If it doesn't hurt anyone then I agree, it's fine.... However that isn't always the case at all. When it hurts, it hurts badly.

#87 Posted by Thekillerklok (10141 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthp2000: But two?

quite frankly I have people I've known in real life who have a rather happy relationship... all three of them.

And if they aren't hurting anyone what does it matter to you?

#88 Posted by Thekillerklok (10141 posts) - - Show Bio
@khael said:

@thekillerklok: If it doesn't hurt anyone then I agree, it's fine.... However that isn't always the case at all. When it hurts, it hurts badly.

Quite frankly the problem stems from women being treated like garbage due to the whole Muslim culture thing. try solving that first.

#89 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@thekillerklok: If polygamy isn't allowed, I feel like it wouldn't be that bad.

#90 Posted by Thekillerklok (10141 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael: That's putting a band aid over the splinter.

#91 Posted by ANTHP2000 (29635 posts) - - Show Bio

quite frankly I have people I've known in real life who have a rather happy relationship... all three of them.

I guess if your version of polygamy is 3 people living together happy as equals, and you are completely against the muslim version, then it's not that bad.

But still, there are other questions and problems that come out of this kind of relationship. At least for me. What if you ever had to choose between them? I mean, might as well me not understanding the whole thing because I wasn't raised like this I guess.

#92 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@thekillerklok: I mean, we can't prevent someone from cheating at all. But preventing your spouse from marrying them is another thing.

#93 Posted by Thekillerklok (10141 posts) - - Show Bio
@thekillerklok said:

I guess if your version of polygamy is 3 people living together happy as equals, and you are completely against the muslim version, then it's not that bad.

But still, there are other questions and problems that come out of this kind of relationship. At least for me. What if you ever had to choose between them? I mean, might as well me not understanding the whole thing because I wasn't raised like this I guess.

Well I've seen a couple of different dynamics. usually these relationships are oddities that only work because of the specific people involved...

there are bisexuals who are incapable of being happy with one gender. There is the example of the three childhood friends. If you are into the bdsm scene A dominate man and wife and a sub. it really depends.

#94 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18074 posts) - - Show Bio
#95 Posted by Thekillerklok (10141 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael: I once dated a girl that could be best described in with the word Yandere.

Trust me a chick can certainly dissuade a dude from even thinking about cheating.

#96 Edited by Thekillerklok (10141 posts) - - Show Bio

@major_hellstorm said:

@thekillerklok: What do you mean by that?

There isn't really a standard three way dynamic, because the relationship themselves depends on who is involved.

Your only examing Man + two wives for example, there is also wife + two Men. Man, Wife, Submissive ect.

the particulars of the relationship usually depend entirely on the cou... triple?

#97 Posted by destinyman75 (15549 posts) - - Show Bio

Defeats the whole purpose of marriage. Certain religions allow it. I'd you want more then one then find those in religion that will allow it. Otherwise you won't find many wifes that would allow it anyway.

#98 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael: I once dated a girl that could be best described in with the word Yandere.

Trust me a chick can certainly dissuade a dude from even thinking about cheating.

I think I'm one of them, I can't even bear seeing someone getting cheated on.

#99 Posted by DarthFallax (1658 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really, I agree with Major here. Polygamy and anarchy are the ideology of freedom gone too far.(@darthfallax Zaheer taught as that didn't he?) Polygamy completely dishonors the terms of a married couple. The entire ritual, wether it's religious or political, is based on respect towards the other special one.

I don´t recall that. lol

Defeats the whole purpose of marriage. Certain religions allow it. I'd you want more then one then find those in religion that will allow it. Otherwise you won't find many wifes that would allow it anyway.

Well, the OP isn´t reffering to solely Polygyny, but Polygamy in general; even though having several wives is by far the most common form of Polygamy.

---

Personally, I´m not sure, neither am I about marriage in general.

#100 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18074 posts) - - Show Bio