Should polygamy be legal?

• 152 results
Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) 1 year, 6 months ago

Poll: Should polygamy be legal? (66 votes)

Yes 50%
No 42%
Results 8%

Do you think that people should be allowed to have more than one spouse? Would you have more than one, if given the chance? Would you marry me? Discuss, plz bby.

#2 Posted by Thekillerklok (10149 posts) - - Show Bio

People should be able to live and love how they want as long as they aren't hurting others.

And I am not talking about rustling jimmies of those who judge them based off of a personal cognitive dissonance.

#3 Posted by JediXMan (42894 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, why not?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4868fccca5c
#4 Posted by deactivated-5a4868fccca5c (167 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they're all consenting, why not?

Avatar image for masterskywalker
#5 Posted by MasterSkywalker (3609 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#6 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

Sure, why not?

Is that an answer to the 3rd question?

#7 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

It's disgusting.

How? Why?

Avatar image for majinblackheart
#8 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9810 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I don't believe in torture.

#9 Posted by kgb725 (19724 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no logical reason against it

#10 Posted by Dernman (26227 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

It's disgusting.

What makes more than two consenting adults pledging themselves together anymore disgusting than two?

#11 Posted by muhabba (405 posts) - - Show Bio

The only reason legality is even involved is for tax purposes. Legalities should not even be involved in marriage.

#12 Posted by Dernman (26227 posts) - - Show Bio

@muhabba said:

The only reason legality is even involved is for tax purposes. Legalities should not even be involved in marriage.

It's much more legal reasons than just taxes.

#13 Posted by Hypnos0929 (6825 posts) - - Show Bio

nah because then there's gonna be a lot of tax right offs

#14 Posted by removekebab (3793 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for indomitableregal
#15 Posted by IndomitableRegal (16975 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you think that people should be allowed to have more than one spouse?

Assuming no one's being forced into a marriage, there's actual love there, and all members are fine with it? Sure.

Would you have more than one, if given the chance?

I'm not willing to go into full detail here, so I'll just give a short version: No.

Would you marry me?

Are you male? Because that automatically rules you out as an option for me lol.

#16 Posted by mrmonster (16407 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. I don't really see what's the issue with it. If you want to marry more than one person, why should anyone stop you? I mean, it's your life. I know we'd have to rewrite tax laws, but that can be done.

Would I do it if it was legal? Probably not.

#17 Edited by MainJP (7132 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, why not. Who gives af.

#18 Edited by Dernman (26227 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster said:

Yes. I don't really see what's the issue with it. If you want to marry more than one person, why should anyone stop you? I mean, it's your life. I know we'd have to rewrite tax laws, but that can be done.

Would I do it if it was legal? Probably not.

I'll be honest. I actually don't want it to happen but I can't think of any reason for it not too.

#19 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

It's disgusting.

How? Why?

Marriage is about commitment and being faithful to one another. Hitting up other girls while in a marital relationship (which led into polygamy or divorce) is awful

Also, in my belief (Christianity), marriage is about 2 individuals of the opposite sex becoming one in flesh. Not 3 nor 4.

@dernman said:
@khael said:

It's disgusting.

What makes more than two consenting adults pledging themselves together anymore disgusting than two?

A threesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb52f8f25413
#20 Posted by deactivated-5bb52f8f25413 (7026 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with Khael.

#21 Posted by Dernman (26227 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:

It's disgusting.

How? Why?

Marriage is about commitment and being faithful to one another. Hitting up other girls while in a marital relationship (which led into polygamy or divorce) is awful

Also, in my belief (Christianity), marriage is about 2 individuals of the opposite sex becoming one in flesh. Not 3 nor 4.

@dernman said:
@khael said:

It's disgusting.

A threesome.

Who say's they were hitting on other girls when they were already together? You ever think they were other ways? Like three long time friends that realized they were in love with each other.

Just saying a threesome to my question doesn't mean anything.

#23 Posted by Dernman (26227 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@dernman: Because that mostly leads to love triangle, not marriage. I live in a Muslim country where polygamy is pretty common and that rarely happens.

If they all love each other why is a love triangle worse than a love duo?

The older wife always gets neglected, it almost feels like she becomes a freaking slave not wife anymore. Remember, this was the woman that this male supposedly pledged to.

Not always true. That is cultural. Besides who says one is older than the other?

Also, the idea of woman hitting up a married man is kinda pathetic to me. There are a lot of single male, damn... whores.

Again you're limiting the circumstances of them meeting just to make your argument when there are many other ways it can happen.

I'm not trying to defend polygamy here. As I said earlier it's not something I'm really in favor of but I just can't think of a good reason to legally outlaw it. If it's something that works for some people why should anyone say that can't?

Avatar image for deactivated-5aba78567e8b5
#24 Posted by deactivated-5aba78567e8b5 (4502 posts) - - Show Bio

The legal implications would be astounding. The house hold would be in a much higher earning bracket than families of the same paying job because they would simply have more people working. But that money would be going to the living expenses of more people so should they be taxed higher?

What if one of them wants a divorce? Do all of your spouses need to concent to the divorce? What if 3 want a divorce but the 4th refuses? What if you only want to divorce one spouse and not the other? Who gets the kids? What if all 3 of his wives divorce a man, does he need to pay spousal support for 3 People?

I could go on. Questions people you can't just go "ya sure" you have to ask questions

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
#25 Posted by deactivated-5b5405244e89c (8376 posts) - - Show Bio

If they can pull it off, sure.

#26 Edited by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: That's the most scenario that I've seen. In fact that's the only scenario I'm seeing with polygamy in my country which is why I said it's disgusting. You're asking why I think it's disgusting, I give you the reason why.

I never said it should be illegal.

#27 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:

It's disgusting.

How? Why?

So your fictional magic sky daddy in his book of plagiarism is reason to deny people of their REAL life feelings. Sad!

Marriage is about being faithful. Polygamy is not 'hitting up' (at least in the definition I'm using) other people, its 3 or more people with the intent to stay romantically involved, and are consenting to all people present in the relationship.

#28 Posted by Sawed_Off_It (13486 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they are all willing and are truly in love with each other...somehow.

I don't see the issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5aba78567e8b5
#30 Posted by deactivated-5aba78567e8b5 (4502 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael: you are being pretty reasonable in this debate. I agree with you

#31 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they are all willing and are truly in love with each other...somehow.

I don't see the issue.

Loving your husband isn't as hard as loving your husband's wives :P

Even parents mostly have favorite child even though they never show it.

#32 Posted by Dernman (26227 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@dernman: That's the most scenario that I've seen. In fact that's the only scenario I'm seeing with polygamy in my country which is why I said it's disgusting. You're asking why I think it's disgusting, I give you the reason why.

I never said it should be illegal.

You must realize that there is more to this life than just the scenarios you've seen don't you? That the world is filled with different people, different cultures, different ways. That you can't think beyond that means you should expose yourself more to those outside your box.

Yes you gave you're reasons but from your explanation they're based on a very limited set experience and situations which is what i was saying.

#33 Edited by Dernman (26227 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424 said:
@khael said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:

It's disgusting.

How? Why?

So your fictional magic sky daddy in his book of plagiarism

Don't be a dick it just makes you look like a bigot.

#34 Posted by Thekillerklok (10149 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael: Nah, In most cases of people I've met who are in a threeway relationship it's usually because one of the people involved is bisexual and it often only works because both spouses discuss and consent before the third party is involved.

#35 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael:

I don't give an f if you don't believe what I believe. I'm just giving it from my point of view.

You missed the point. Your justification for an actual situation, is a fictional collection of stories, and because of which, your reasoning in flawed. It's like me using the story of the 3 little pigs as justification for wolf hunting. Both Christianity and the 3 little pigs are fictional (because logic tells us animals don't talk, lol) and should not impede on real life situations.

You know most marriages aren't even "romantic" right?

Maybe not in your country, but in most western countries, the basis for marriage is love, hence why when the love is gone, people divorce. That's why the divorce rates are so high.

Let alone if it consists of 3 people or more

That would probably make it better, seeing as whenever there are problems in a relationship, more people to mediate, and work out the problem.

I can't even imagine being the older wife.

Ah, yes, because men can only pay attention to the appearance of women. Age isn't the basis for love. It's incredibly sexist for you to think so, stereotyping men like that.

Also, in order to get more wives, you do have to hit up other girls while in marital relationship, right? It doesn't just happen outta nowhere. Don't you realize that?

You are aware that in the context I'm referring to, it's consensual by ALL parties involved, so there is no problem, right? Or did you consider that 3 people can marry at the same time, correct. And why is it hitting up 'girls'. Are men always the initiators? Sexist af, smh

#36 Edited by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:

It's disgusting.

How? Why?

How is stating facts making me be a "dick"? I said nothing that was untrue. Facts>Feelings

#37 Edited by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: I'm mentioning the most likely scenario that happens all the time in a polygamist country.

It's not universal, of course there are other scenarios like there are other scenario in everything in life. I hate to see this kind of thing happens to anyone. Makes me sick to my stomach, which is why I said it's disgusting.

There's always a bad side in everything and in this case, it's about these poor people that became a victim of polygamy.

#38 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael: Nah, In most cases of people I've met who are in a threeway relationship it's usually because one of the people involved is bisexual and it often only works because both spouses discuss and consent before the third party is involved.

If they're all bixesual, I think it's fine lol

#40 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:

It's disgusting.

How? Why?

How is stating facts making me be a "dick"? I said nothing that was untrue. Facts>Feelings

It's about belief. You're missing the point of religion

#41 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:
@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:

It's disgusting.

How? Why?

It's about belief. You're missing the point of religion

Your point? I could believe that Santa Claus is real. All because I believe doesn't make it any less fiction. Facts>Feelings. Your magic sky daddy and talking snakes don't exist. I have no problem at all with you believing it, as long as you 1. Don't let it interfere with real life situations, because it's not real. 2. Don't fully practice it. (A lot of things in the bible, like killing gays, is illegal, and should not be practiced.)

You're free to believe any of the fake stories of your magicians. But it shouldn't impede on real life logical judgment

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77993baeeec
#43 Posted by deactivated-5a77993baeeec (737 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure.

#44 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael:

You know what? F you dude

Excellent counter.

Not in my vision. Marriage is also a commitment.

Yeah, a commitment made because of love.

And would also cause more problem, great. Conflicts are mostly caused by differences, which is why bringing up more people won't help at all

Conflicts are also solved more often than not, better with more people, as long as they are willing to see the other person's PoV. As many married people are.

Because most people that do polygamy are mostly bored with their current spouse

Based on? I'm gonna need empirical data. Not just your biased, stereotypical assumptions.

Otherwise I see no reason to hit up other girls (which leads to either polygamy or divorce) or even to be attracted to another person.

This is sad. It's not just 'hitting up other girls', you sexist. Both parties may be interested in another. 3 parties may go into a relationship together. It's not just your bigoted scenarios.

You realize that's not always the case in in country like Turkey, Arab and Indonesia right? There will always be problem no matter what, you just refuse to see the bad side.

I'm not talking about those countries. Most of those countries are the way that they are because of their own magic sky daddies, and listening to their fairy tales too much. I clearly said western countries.

Also, I'm talking about Muslim polygamy here, obviously

I'm talking about not oppressive relationships, not based off of bullshit like religion. (At least the Abrahamic ones)

#45 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael said:

@revan2424: Just kill yourself dude.

No Caption Provided

Is that something Jesus would like you to say?

#46 Posted by Shouvik89 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

Loving a person and staying faithful and committed to her all of Life, the amount of fulfillment and joy it gives, is unmatched. This is the deeper dimension to Love that makes life worth living. Nothing can even touch this.

A social system that makes Love to someone feel 'optional' as you can anytime leave her for another one (and get validated by society), just doesn't come close, there will always be inner conflict, nothing can stop that. Laws change throughout history and cultures but the sense of morality doesn't. That deep seated feeling of guilt as you go through Life's pleasures with another spouse will be there, and will surface throughout Life.

Unlike what society wishes us to believe, we are not programmable bots, able to adapt to any scenario and using a new perspective of thought to feel good about it--hah, won't happen. Best example--Life.

#47 Posted by Revan- (7959 posts) - - Show Bio

@shouvik89: Aren't you the one who thinks the Earth is flat?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
#48 Edited by deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba (5989 posts) - - Show Bio

While I do not object to it from any moral or religious reasons, if people think they would be happy being married to multiple people, whatever. It does not involve me, so I have no opinion, that is how I usually handle things.

However, I would not want to ever have to deal with that tangled nightmare of a court issue when divorce comes up.

How the hell would you ever handle divorces in that case.

Also, people think of it just as 1 guy and like 3 wives. It could just as easily be like 5 people who all just marry each other because they all love each other. How the hell would that divorce work?

I do not see how it could ever end well, but if people want to try it, whatever.

#49 Posted by Shouvik89 (177 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't for a second, think that the Earth is flat, I know the Earth is flat and motionless. I trust my common sense and intuition over explanations and stuff that I can never prove to myself and have no option but to take other's statement as facts, even though they contradict with my own natural observations and sense. Yup.

#50 Edited by Dernman (26227 posts) - - Show Bio

@revan2424 said:
@dernman said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:
@revan2424 said:
@khael said:

It's disgusting.

How? Why?

Prove your "facts" and for the record I'm agnostic so there is no feeling in the equation.