Should I Join/Enlist In The Marine Corp?

• 67 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Reason why I ask here is because I don't really have anyone I can talk to this about and want someone else's opinions. So just give me your opinion? Here's where I'm at right now.

I just graduated high school and have been trying to look for a full time job, but I've had no luck. I don't want to go to college at all, not one bit. I didn't even apply to one school. I've been interested in joining ever since the 5th grade. If I do go through it, I'd ask the recruiter to ship me off in around next spring. In order to get bigger and get in shape. The physical part is easy, what I'm worried about is my family's approval. My mom and step dad will be very mad at me and would probably hate me for a couple weeks. While a couple uncles who've been in the navy and marines would probably approve. I really have nothing going for me here. I mean I don't even have my own room and share it with my little brothers. BTW I'm 19 in October. I guess I'd be doing it to get away from home and experience other things and satisfy my fixation on becoming a Marine. Also I guess the job I'd take in there is infantry because I like guns...

I know I'm just a stupid young kid right now but that's my situation. What do you guys THINK? :)

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silkyballfro94: What do you think the benefits will be if you join the Marines?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@risingbean might be able to offer advice.

I know you were technically Army, but you're the only vet I know on-site. Well, save for Cadence, who was in the AF if memory serves....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: This might sound stupid but training and discipline I guess. Training could come in handy if I decide to become a cop. Discipline because I'm a piece of work in terms of procrastination among other things and my self worth if that makes sense. You don't want to know how many times I was late to school this year. I also think it would be good to be on my own.

Blood_Red_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Research all the branches before you decide on one is my advice.

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ultimately it is up to you, If you feel being a marine is the best thing to do since you aren't interested in higher education then go for it. My father is ex-RAF and he always says that the military gave him the discipline that has made him so successful out of the military. At the same time he always says he wishes he'd had the foresight to have done better in school and attended higher education rather than going into the military.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#7  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@silkyballfro94: I'm a USAF JTAC (Joint Terminal Attack Controller), which is the Spec Ops higher up of TACP (Tactical Air Control Party). TACP is essentially any standard infantry job. You deploy with the Army, not really the Air Force, and you get more than just standard infantry training. Your job would consist of embedding with your conventional Army or Marine units and being their liaison for air support. Layman's terms: you call in air strikes. You get to do all the "cool" stuff like fight, carry weapons, and be in the field. But you don't just GET the job. You try out for it. You must be BETTER than the other units you deploy with. Why? Because like I said before you'll do what they do and then some.

If you enjoy it and want to take it a step further, you can try out to be a JTAC. You do the same job, but you work with Green Berets, Rangers, SEALs, etc. It is much harder, but again you'll receive all the training these other units do AND the training for your job.

I chose the Air Force over the Army. I was a late enlister, but I'd always wanted to serve. So I graduated college, gained some maturity, got married, and realized that I can do the same work and have a better quality of life than the Army or the Marines offer. I am NOT knocking the Army or Marines. I have served with some damn fine individuals from both, but my family life is important to me, so I went Air Force. I have another friend who was a PJ, he's been in more sh*t than I have, and he's maintained a great home life.

You need to look at all branches, what each offers, and find what's best for you. Others can guide you, but remember: it is YOUR life. Just don't, at your young age, be suckered by machismo tactics. I've gotten a lot of sh*t for being Air Force from Army boys. But that's the nature of the military. Find the branch that fits YOUR personality, and the lifestyle YOU want to live. Do your research, it is key.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: This might sound stupid but training and discipline I guess. Training could come in handy if I decide to become a cop. Discipline because I'm a piece of work in terms of procrastination among other things and my self worth if that makes sense. You don't want to know how many times I was late to school this year. I also think it would be good to be on my own.

There are many many perks to being a veteran. You get extra points on all government jobs. Meaning when you take the entrance test for a gov job if you get an 80% it will show you got a 90% which is helpful. You will get paid while in the military. You may travel to places you never knew. You can learn a trade that you can use in the real world. If you're ever down on your luck, you get SO MANY benefits. I would really consider it

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you feel it to be something of your heart's desire, I'd say shoot for it.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go ahead.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My dad is a Marine Special Forces. I say that in the present tense because, as he has told and shown me, once a Marine always a Marine. He's 63 now and there is literally no where he can go without recognizing another Marine. Military is Military and all branches are brothers and sisters in arms, but as far as I've seen is the Marines are their own little family inside a larger family. You'll be in a brotherhood for the rest of your life and that can always come in handy later in your life. But it's a commitment that's going to stay with you for the rest of your life, good and bad. So think about it, talk to your uncles and other Marines. Oh, and never believe anything a recruiter tells you. They won't lie, but they'll blow a lot of s**t up your a**.

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Okay here's the deal from a Navy vet. Going into the service is a HUGE commitment and I wouldn't just join because I can't find a job. You will learn some things that will benefit you for the rest of your life. But, there are also some things that might change you for the worse for the rest of your life.

I would ask a couple of questions before giving you any advise

1. What was your ASVAB score?
  2. What skills are you looking to obtain by joining?
  3. How fast are you trying to earn rank?
judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

GO TO TRADE SCHOOL!!!! Get certifications.... You'll make more money, and not get shot at.........

The_PAIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_PAIN

GO TO TRADE SCHOOL!!!! Get certifications.... You'll make more money, and not get shot at.........

Best Advice

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Only if you promise to become Batman later in life.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PrinceAragorn1

@allstarsuperman said:

Only if you promise to become Batman later in life.

Or John reese.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By M3th

My advice is... go to school. I'm not saying don't enlist but go to school. I have a couple military friends. Some of them have a plan and are in school or trying to earn rank. However, a few are just there. I'm not trying to talk down on them but they aren't in school nor do they currently care about ranks.

I have one friend who always talks to transients who claim they were/are in the military. I seen/meet a few transients who claim they were/are (I'm adding the are because of the idea, once a *blank* always a *blank*) in the military. My guess is they didn't strive for anything.

They did they're civic duty or time and through a series of unfortunate events became transients.

I'm glad we have so many military members here on ComicVine. They will definitely help you out but my advice go to school or strive for something more for your future.

Lastly, Go Hard, go all out. You cannot fail. Once you sign that contract... Maybe your like one of my friends who said bootcamp was easy. Either way DO NOT GIVE UP.

I'm sure our military members will help you out more.

-m3th.o.d.-

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MonsterStomp

I'm enlisting, maybe I could give you some reasoning as to why.

So when I graduated school, year 12, I really had no idea what I wanted to do, like most high school graduates. My father tried to push me into the trades (electrician) field of work, at the time I liked it, then I thought "This is my life, I really want to test myself". After the trades didn't work out for me, I was stuck working with my father for the next year and a half. I was so stupid, I wasn't moving anywhere. So I kind of started to lose sense of purpose for life. I wanted a purpose. I made it my goal to find a purpose. Then I went online one day realising that the military need applicants, there are hundreds of jobs in the defence force and getting a job in the military is much easier than surviving in the civil world. The accommodation is cheaper, nearly everything is paid for, you have tons of benefits. Yeah, its much easier. You put your life on the line everyday, but so does every human being in the world, so it really makes no difference.

This is why I'm joining: I want to test myself both physically and mentally. I want to fulfil a purpose and I feel like if anyone is helping your country and its people more than anyone else, its the people in the military, doesn't matter if you're a soldier or a cleaner, everyone is on the same side. From the time you apply, everything changes, your view on life changes. I have tons of friends enlisting. Plus, it sticks on your resume like a firefly in the dark. Getting a job in the civil world would be much easier after you get discharged.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MonsterStomp

@silkyballfro94: Its a good thing to get your family's approval. I've convinced my younger brother to apply too (not intentionally). Also, if you're going to be a soldier, throw the bare minimum fitness requirement out the window, I've been to enough interviews and sessions to know that it will be 100x harder than what the minimum entry requirement is. If the bare minimum for endurance is 7.5 on the shuttle run, make sure you can reach levels 13+. If the minimum for push ups is 15, make sure you can do 100. It's way more intense than what the piece of paper says. Also, try and get a job, the military is big on teamwork, developing those skills will boost your confidence and leadership skills. If you apply for infantry position, make sure you have a better reason than "I like guns" when you're in your interview lol. I'm applying for the military police position. Also do a lot of research on your position. The interviewer will talk more about the job then about your qualities. They don't want you to be surprised by what's coming your way. Be prepared for that stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: yeah I think the approval of my mom and step dad is already out the window, there is no convincing of any kind, while my grandparents would basically be disappointed and those 4 people are the only ones I really care about in opinion. The reason for infantry is well because I like guns, war movies, war video games and like going paintballing(I was pretty beast), oh yeah and it could help me in the future as a cop or something. Those are the only reasons I can really think of, without any bs. If you don't mind me asking, what did you say? I don't want to look stupid when talking to the recruiter.

Thanks everyone for your input and advice, I appreciate it. I gotta think about this hard.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

#23  Edited By Durakken

I'm not a Marine nor have I been in the military... However I have listened to people who have been's stories, their suggestions, and have a friend that has gone through at least basic training.

1) Prepare to be separated to from everyone you know for 6 months to 3 years

2) Are you an atheist? There is a lot of rampant religious stuff in the military. You may face abuse from it. From chaplain nonsense to "free time" to attend service to various other things. You should be aware of it. I would tell you to go find a youtube channel called voodoosixxx, but his channel was deleted and the videos talking about this stuff are gone, but if this is an issue for you you might want to PM him. He's generally a nice guy from my experience with him. Here's his new channel that has some of his army stories that are great ^.^ http://www.youtube.com/user/VooFn6/videos

3) Rape... be aware that the percentage stats may be higher in the military than in the regular world for men and women (which are about equal to each other) I don't have support for this assertion other than someone that tends to not make make these types of assertions without doing their research has made this assertion a number of times times. It is supported by other people, but I can't find any supporting numbers from my brief search.

4) Some Job advice...

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Granite Soldier's last paragraph sums it up nicely. Do it for you.

I would begin by researching all branches, having conversations with (multiple, if possible) Recruiters (DO NOT sign anything you do not understand or allow yourself to be intimidated into enlisting.) and gut checking what you want out of life. It has been my opinion that the Air Force and possibly the Navy have the best chance of military to civilian transition skills, (trade school for free!) but maybe you just want to do something in particular. (Army and Marines get the most streed 'cred') The Asvab (a test you'll take) will tell you what job titles (MOS's) you can have and you get to pick from them. Ask about waivers. You can get things waived often times, you just need to do your homework. Also ask about bonuses, financial and otherwise. I picked a MOS that netted me about a 14 thousand dollar bonus after taxes. Some jobs are harder to fill then others so if you take those routes, you can get perks.

Do realize that if you join, you are putting your life on the line. If and when you deploy, you are at risk. A mortar can kill a finance clerk as easily as an Infantryman. PTSD is a possibility. You'll be out of the loop for long amounts of time, missing time with family and friends, blockbuster movies and the like. Also you'll change and find that you'll never be able to go back to the way things used to be.

As per the religious aspects. I can only speak from my experience, but while the Army is Christian focused, there is nothing they can do to limit you on religious grounds. I recall Muslim and other religious teaching going on while at Basic (some guys went to the Jewish services because they served snacks. Others went to church simply because it was a break from basic training chores. They would rather sit for an hour listening about God then mow the lawn.) Chaplains are there for morale. While they may be Christian, you don't have to adhere to their thought, just respect their right to have it. Also they are good guys to talk to if you need somebody to help out.

At the end of the day it is your life. You need to do what is right for you, not mom or pop's, not uncle or auntie. You.

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Do not join the military. They treated my family horribly, as they will you.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As per the religious aspects. I can only speak from my experience, but while the Army is Christian focused, there is nothing they can do to limit you on religious grounds. I recall Muslim and other religious teaching going on while at Basic (some guys went to the Jewish services because they served snacks. Others went to church simply because it was a break from basic training chores. They would rather sit for an hour listening about God then mow the lawn.) Chaplains are there for morale. While they may be Christian, you don't have to adhere to their thought, just respect their right to have it. Also they are good guys to talk to if you need somebody to help out.

The fact that you either go to church or are used for manual labor is a coercion and in violation of 1st amendment rights. While I do understand the conundrum that the military finds itself in it still is not right. You should simply declare that as a free time and if you wish to go to a service of one sort or another you are free to, but if not they are not allowed to assign you any chores during that period. They may however request that you do a chore and you may refuse without reprisal... and if there is reprisal then you can do something or other to punish the commanding officer that is going against his sworn oath to uphold the constitution. There's still problems with that, but it's better than having no safe guards and the way that it is set up is to blackmail and coerce someone into being a theist...

I can point out at least 4 people that are atheists that have been in the military 3/4 were atheists while in the military. And so far all 2 of those 3 have expressed problems related to their atheism and the 1 after becoming an atheist had problems with many things that the military did in respect to religion. While not a large sample size it's still data that given the sample size seems to indicate a problems that one should be aware of if they are an atheist...or even just a secularist because I'd find that wrong either way.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken: You know, I don't know if you could have reflection (or alone, quiet etc) time or not. One of the things the military seemed to do in the basic training and recruitment stages was not tell you more then what you asked. I wasn't aware of the choice in station for example. Maybe people could have had quiet time. I just seem to recall coming back from services and seeing guys in the quad doing chores, or reading the Infantryman's guide.

I do agree in hindsight that there should have been the option if there wasn't. Your point is on the mark so far as I am concerned.

That was why I was sure to add that I only spoke on what my experience was. Your mileage may vary.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: Indeed. There are plenty of problems with the military and some of it is the fault of the people not doing their research like pointed out in the last video I posted.

As far as the Chaplain thing. I disagree. Chaplains are not appropriate. They are only "for morale" if you are of the faith that they belong and don't realize that they are probably completely untrained and are taking their information from their own faith and probably don't have actual field experience so they fail on many accounts to be anything worthwhile to have there to provide support properly. "Chaplains" should be psychologists specifically trained to handle PTSD, Home sickness, cabin fever, dealing with taking someone's life, etc... they should also have had some sort of military experience.

I don't particularly think psychology is all that great either due to many problems within the field of psychology like pop-psych and leaning more towards feminine psychology that is pretty much the opposite of what you're going to get in most of the people in the military, even the women are likely to have a masculine psychology. But overall if you are going to get something for morale I'd prefer feministic psychologists than Chaplains.

Likewise, I don't see the point of Chaplains when you have that service period which you could use to talk to the equivalent of a chaplain...So it's redundant at best.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken: Well before a number of our missions, our chaplain would come out and say a few words. They were not about Jesus on a cross, they were not about parting a sea, they were not about heaven or hell. He would just remind us that we were family and that we had to rely on one another. That the man to your left and right would see you through. Now I won't say he worked miracles, but I think he helped. He had that 18 year old kid thinking on how he was a part of something bigger rather then dwelling on the icy bit of rotgut growing in his belly. Of how our PL and PS needed to be at their best because we were in their command and would go to the wire for them.

I speak from two years/combat tours of personal experience. I have taken in a knee in the dirt and listened to a chaplain as I ran over my rifle and acog for a final check, and it made me feel more comfortable. The guys who didn't want to listen? They would back off a reasonable distance and smoke, joke or do whatever ritual they did to get in the proper headspace and timing. To put it simply, this is a case of being better to have and not need, then to need and not have.

At any rate, our discussion isn't putting any pertinent info out to the OP. If you would like to continue to discuss it, shall we take it to PM, or make a thread for it?

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@risingbean: I disagree that it isn't pertinent. This is something that one should consider if they are uncomfortable with this, whether because they are atheist, secular, or a religion that isn't the majority (Christian), or aren't comfortable with different sects.

If you want to create a new thread go right ahead ^.^ I'll follow, but I'm not sure if it will get any more people responding and I personally prefer public forums than PMs for most things. ^.^

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Durakken

Oh yeah...another thing to consider... You should be aware that people who are homeless tend to be veterans and/or have mental problems...and men for that matter. So you should be aware that whatever the military promises you we have a large contingent of homeless veterans. Considering that, it should warn you that there might be some problem with military service and expectations with that being the case. If there wasn't something about the military itself that caused this OR if Military helped get education and work and such... then the number of vets that are homeless would be equal to the rate of people to vets or lower than that rate...

So you are taking a lot of risk by joining the military... higher chance of psychological probs, rape, and homelessness... and death ^.^

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imo join the National Guard first then take it from there :)

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaos_prime said:

National guard are going to Iraq too still... just fyi.

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken said:

@chaos_prime said:

National guard are going to Iraq too still... just fyi.

I know same as the T.A here in the U.K.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Wow this decisions will change your life forever. Make sure this is the road you want to take before joining

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do realize that if you join, you are putting your life on the line. If and when you deploy, you are at risk. A mortar can kill a finance clerk as easily as an Infantryman. PTSD is a possibility. You'll be out of the loop for long amounts of time, missing time with family and friends, blockbuster movies and the like. Also you'll change and find that you'll never be able to go back to the way things used to be.

Yes I forgot to mention this. Like RisingBean said you can be a finance guy or a god damn C.A.G. operator, when you deploy you WILL see things you might wish you hadn't. I have never had to go, but I know plenty of what you would call "hard" guys need to see a doc.

@durakken said:

2) Are you an atheist? There is a lot of rampant religious stuff in the military. You may face abuse from it. From chaplain nonsense to "free time" to attend service to various other things. You should be aware of it. I would tell you to go find a youtube channel called voodoosixxx, but his channel was deleted and the videos talking about this stuff are gone, but if this is an issue for you you might want to PM him. He's generally a nice guy from my experience with him. Here's his new channel that has some of his army stories that are great ^.^ http://www.youtube.com/user/VooFn6/videos

I can't speak for all branches, but the Air Force does not recognize any denomination of religion, or non-religion, and I've never seen anyone punished. I don't go to church, I am not a believer, and it is open knowledge in my unit. No one cares. So saying it is "military" is incorrect, but again I only have experience with the Air Force.

Keeping in line with what Durakken said though, yes, there is an large amount of homeless veterans. That is why IF you decide enlisting is for you, my recommendation is find a job with an after-military value. I know guys who get crap for "POG" jobs, but you know what? When they get out they have a marketable skill. I myself am looking into retraining for the same reason. JTAC is great, but I can't kick in doors and call in air strikes in the civilian world, so with mine and my family's future in mind I am going to retrain. DO NOT be machismo-swooned into doing something you don't want to do because it looks "tougher" or "more bad-a**". Especially if you don't know if you'll enjoy it and want to stay in for a full 20 years. If you get 4 years infantry experience what does that qualify you for in the civilian world? Don't let them tell you cop, I have a friend who went Army Cavalry Scout and he's getting out trying to be a cop but guess what? Cops aren't anything like infantry or Cav Scouts.

Oh and FYI, liking guns, war movies, and COD and similar games is a HORRIBLE reason for wanting to join. People that join with that mentality, in my experience, do not last and hate it. You must fully understand that combat (if that's what you want) is not a game. It is not fun, exciting, or heroic. It is dirty, painful, and you will be lucky to come out the same. Recruiters love COD gamers, because they are so high on the "idea" of combat they are easy to rope in. Think long, think hard, take your damn time deciding.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silkyballfro94: I haven't had my formal interview yet. You got through a long process. They want to make sure this is what you want. But tbh I just told them the truth. That I wanted something physically and mentally demanding, that I wanted to test my limits, I want to develop leadership, courage, commitment, and teamwork skills. I couldn't care less about the pay check, you don't really need money in the military anyway.

Dude, you put your life on the line everyday you step outside your house. You could die in a car crash, lightning strike, slip over and kill yourself. Every morning someone wakes up they are putting their life on the line. Its no different when you're in the military. You'll miss family, but it's like the civil world also, you don't visit your family everyday unless you still live with them. You'll make best friends in the military, BEST friends that you develop a brotherhood with. Wow missing a blockbuster movie, damn life is over now. Who cares? The military still give leave like any normal job.

I think you'll change for the better. You become stronger, confident, skilled etc. And getting a job in the civil world is easier.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@granitesoldier: I didn't mean that video games were my main reasons. Though they probably have influenced me in a more subconscious way over time. I want confidence and want to prove something to myself. I think it would put me in line and help me prepare myself for the future. I don't have any goals right now and lack motivation. I also believe that it could be possible to become a cop too, since my uncle is a vet and is now a cop. Thanks.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By thespideyguy

@silkyballfro94: All these soldiers who come back from tours can't find jobs and have to go back out. I wonder why....

Superskrull86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

@silkyballfro94: Do you want to join for the "fight for my country" Idea?

Or do you just want learn combat techniques, military training and so on.

Whatever you think you need to do to enjoy and cherish life, do it. Just make a decision, don't let anyone try to stop you from what you need to achieve. I think you should do what you want to do. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's true.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thespideyguy: true but I'm too arrogant to really look at the cons.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superskrull86: yeah that fight for my country idea would be pretty bullcrap if I said that. I'm more in for the learning part.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silkyballfro94: All these soldiers who come back from tours can't find jobs and have to go back out. I wonder why....

This is false.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@silkyballfro94:

I didn't say it wasn't possible, but something like MP would square you away to be a cop more than infantry.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 the_stegman  Moderator

I was actually thinking of joining the Navy or Air Force, cause I'm in college right now..and it seems kinda pointless, I want to do something with my life.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RisingBean

@silkyballfro94: I haven't had my formal interview yet. You got through a long process. They want to make sure this is what you want. But tbh I just told them the truth. That I wanted something physically and mentally demanding, that I wanted to test my limits, I want to develop leadership, courage, commitment, and teamwork skills. I couldn't care less about the pay check, you don't really need money in the military anyway.

@risingbean said:

Dude, you put your life on the line everyday you step outside your house. You could die in a car crash, lightning strike, slip over and kill yourself. Every morning someone wakes up they are putting their life on the line. Its no different when you're in the military. You'll miss family, but it's like the civil world also, you don't visit your family everyday unless you still live with them. You'll make best friends in the military, BEST friends that you develop a brotherhood with. Wow missing a blockbuster movie, damn life is over now. Who cares? The military still give leave like any normal job.

I think you'll change for the better. You become stronger, confident, skilled etc. And getting a job in the civil world is easier.

Keep in mind, I did join as an Infantryman and did two tours. I have been shot at and have shot people, Nearly got blown up once or twice so I know about putting my life on the line. I missed my family and my wife who had to quit watching the news because every time the news said something bad she thought I might be dead. I came close to being dead no less then three times. I recall watching X-3 in Kuwait at the MWR, I recall watching a "Hadji copy" of Spider-man 3. I found it to be one of the downsides or "sacrifices" I made. I am not saying the OP will opt out over a movie, but it did make me realize just how disconnected I was from the life I had in the U.S.

Good chance our OP will change for the better, but there is always a price. My military career cost me my wife. So I guess to answer your question, I care. The OP cared enough to ask and I am not going to bullsh!t him. And the getting a job thing? Well I have applied to police departments and have yet to get in with one. I also had to burn through a decent amount of the money I "didn't need" in the military while I looked for work. So don't blindly lead this guy along.

There will be sacrifices, there will be gains. It is all what the OP wants to do and what path he wants to walk.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MonsterStomp

@risingbean: Well to be honest, YOU enlisted, meaning YOU knew what you were getting yourself into. I don't plan on having a family of my own for a while, I'm 21 years old. Sure you've had close encounters with death, and I'm aware that when I get deployed I may die, but its really no different when you wake up every morning. I know what I'm going to sign up for, I couldn't care less about missing some blockbuster movies. I might even miss The Justice League, miss my favourite Halo reclaimer trilogy, but the military is a decision of a life time. Either if you serve 1 year or 10 years.

This guy is 19 years old, he doesn't (shouldn't) have a family of his own. You were an infantryman, that doesn't equate to being a cop. If you want to be a cop you should have applied for the military police position. You could have been a close protection agent. Serving with the defence force will always look impressive on your resume if you're in the right field. You can't be a MP in the army and try and get a job as a doctor in the civil world. I'm not blindly leading this guy. Like I've mentioned before, I've been through enough sessions and interviews to know what I'm signing up for. I've spoken with recruiters to officers. I'm enlisting and I want to be knowledgeable so I know just as much as you.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was actually thinking of joining the Navy or Air Force, cause I'm in college right now..and it seems kinda pointless, I want to do something with my life.

This was what I was thinking about when I decided to apply. I was looking into the Navy as well, hotter chicks, and cooler uniform. Though I have a thing about submarines.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@the_stegman said:

This was what I was thinking about when I decided to apply. I was looking into the Navy as well, hotter chicks, and cooler uniform. Though I have a thing about submarines.

Lol, yes, join because of the chicks, they dig a man in uniform.