#1 Edited by gamejutsu (1838 posts) - - Show Bio

My old one broke inside my laptop, and then I noticed these kinds of jacks do the thing where they don't work as well after a while, and you sometimes do the thing where you twist the jack around to hear. And then you eventually get new earbuds.

But these are headphones. They cost $30-40, and I'm not trying to spend that kind of money on the same thing every 5 or 6 months when it breaks. I was thinking if I should get usb headphones instead. I had one for some time, and they worked really well. They were the longest lasting of all my headphones and earbuds.

I made this thread because I may be wrong. Maybe I've just been buying the wrong ones. Maybe no one gets the first paragraph and it's just me. I also made this because if some of you do recommend usb headphones, do you know any good ones I can buy? I'm looking at some pictures of usb headphones and i'm just getting tech support.

#2 Posted by Marc_55 (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

Just get some wireless, that's what I did.

#3 Posted by Tyger (2829 posts) - - Show Bio

I can never get the Bluetooth to work right on a PC. (Work great on the phone and iPad, but all my PCs choke on 'em.)

#4 Edited by gamejutsu (1838 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for staticspeedster
#5 Edited by StaticSpeedster (2368 posts) - - Show Bio

@gamejutsu: You should try getting some cheap earphones man. My Candy Skull lasted like a year or so and considering I used it everyday for several hours, it should be good for you too.

#6 Posted by Tyger (2829 posts) - - Show Bio

@gamejutsu: weirdly enough, check grocery stores right now while they're trying to clear out their Christmas merchandise. You might find a decent set marked to sell.

#7 Edited by Marc_55 (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

@gamejutsu: Mine were less then 30, both times. I got them from different places, f.y.e. and Boost Mobile.

#8 Edited by jb681131 (3126 posts) - - Show Bio

@gamejutsu: How to pick headphones ? Well

USB, Jack or Wireless ?

• with wireless you have to recharge and after each recharge a battery looses autonomy, but you don't get bothered with a wire, just with "aw man! I'm out of power".
  • with usb you won't be able to plug in anywhere because the standard for carrying sound in Jack.

==> Conclusion for me is Jack

what shape ? http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/physical-headphone-types-explained

• In Ear Monitors (IEM) - if you don't mind sticking something in you ear, they have hight-fidelity sound
  • Intra-Concha Earphones (Ear-Buds) - cheap, fall of the ears easily, poor sound quality
  • Supra-Concha Headphones - They go on the ear. The cheap kind. After a prolongated use they tend to hurt because they press against your ears.
  • Supra-Aural Headphones - They also go on the ear. They are slightly bigger than the Supra-Concha and press the soft outer of your ears. Some have descent sound.
  • Circumaural Headphones (Full-Size, Around-the-Ear, Over-Ear) - They don't hurt. They block outside sounds.

==> I recommande Circumaural Headphones

why do headphones break quickly ?

• The main cause is the wire/cable because of how headphones are treated

==> Now you can find headphones with jack plugs on the ear-peace. Like that when the cable is out, you can change it for 5$.

Very good headphone can me found starting at 20$. But if you don't misshandle you headphones too much, find a 30$ one with jack plugs and it will last you very long.

#9 Edited by gamejutsu (1838 posts) - - Show Bio

@staticspeedster said:

@gamejutsu: You should try getting some cheap earphones man. My Candy Skull lasted like a year or so and considering I used it everyday for several hours, it should be good for you too.

I ain't trying to get exposed dude. No Candy Skull for me.

@jb681131 said:

@gamejutsu:

• with wireless you have to recharge and after each recharge a battery looses autonomy, but you don't get bothered with a wire, just with "aw man! I'm out of power".
  • with usb you won't be able to plug in anywhere because the standard for carrying sound in Jack.

How long is the battery life for wireless? If it only lasts like 2 hours it's not worth it.

Also not necessarily true for usb. As long as you have a usb port i'm pretty sure you can use usb headphones. I did and they worked fine for almost a year. But in terms of accessibility there doesn't seem to be that much around.

@jb681131 said:

@gamejutsu:

• Circumaural Headphones (Full-Size, Around-the-Ear, Over-Ear) - They don't hurt. They block outside sounds.

The thing is, i'm mostly worried about the jack, the actual shape, size, and all of that don't concern me as much. After all, it's not the part that goes over your ear that will break. And these regular jacks are really weak. I don't want them to last something around like 5-6 months.

#10 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

Get the USB ones.

#11 Posted by jb681131 (3126 posts) - - Show Bio

@staticspeedster said:

I ain't trying to get exposed dude. No Candy Skull for me.

@jb681131 said:

@gamejutsu:

How long is the battery life for wireless? If it only lasts like 2 hours it's not worth it.

Well it varies, depending on the batterie size needed and the components used in the headphones

Also not necessarily true for usb. As long as you have a usb port i'm pretty sure you can use usb headphones. I did and they worked fine for almost a year. But in terms of accessibility there doesn't seem to be that much around.

Sure you have more and more usb ports everywhere. The only thing is that on smartphone for exemple you can't listen to music why recharging it if you're using the usb port.

@jb681131 said:

@gamejutsu:

The thing is, i'm mostly worried about the jack, the actual shape, size, and all of that don't concern me as much. After all, it's not the part that goes over your ear that will break. And these regular jacks are really weak. I don't want them to last something around like 5-6 months.

You might not have understood exactly what I sayd. No jack will last you more than 5-6 month. But you can find headphones now with no integrated cable/jack, you need a double side jack cable to use it. Like that you only have to change the jack cable and not the whole headphone. A jack cable is pretty cheap. exemple:

#12 Posted by gamejutsu (1838 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131: hrhmmm

Yeah I definitely didn't read it right XD

What you're saying seems pretty good. But how will I know if the headphones come with an interchangable jack? Will it say so on the box?

#13 Posted by comic_fan123 (1056 posts) - - Show Bio

USB is the way to go