should cops be able to shoot someone unarmed for running away

• 152 results
ironknight1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll should cops be able to shoot someone unarmed for running away (88 votes)

yes 18%
no 82%

If someone is unarmed and is running away from the police, should the cops have the right to shoot that person with a gun?

• 
Avatar image for the_caped_crusader
The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mikethekiller

No

FukYouRenchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If the person has been declared dangerous, they have a clear shot, no civilians could get hurt, and can't close the distance and take them through physical contact, they should be able to wound them in the leg with a shot.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they are already hostile yes, if not no

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the person has been declared dangerous, they have a clear shot, no civilians could get hurt, and can't close the distance and take them through physical contact, they should be able to wound them in the leg with a shot.

end thread

FailSwitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

With a taser gun.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is the person running? If they haven't done anything wrong they wouldn't be running away.

SolarPowered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't it already illegal for civilians to shoot someone with their back turned? Cops shouldn't be able to either.

Joewell911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I only permit that if they are endangering the cop's life. Otherwise a non-lethal method should be used.

Running away without a weapon is not endangering anyone's life. Just tase them.

Avatar image for deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5
deactivated-6241fa3a1cff5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

^I can agree with this.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr0metheus: @pooty: @llehdevil: Except in extreme circumstances (sniping and even then it's seldom used) shots to extremities like the arm and the leg are bad ideas. They are harder to hit (and shooting isn't easy, regardless of what your TV or video gaming habits say) and a leg shot can still kill.

Police and military are trained to shoot center mass because it makes it that much easier to actually hit your target and because there is less chance of random factors being involved. A missed shot means that bullet is very possibly going to hit something you don't want it to. As it stands training allows one to fall back and instinctually react to situations. When you have to shoot quickly you won't be contemplating where to shoot, you do what you've trained yourself to do, and that is shoot at center mass.

If you guys care my experience/knowledge base on this comes from my time as a designated marksman in an Infantry unit in the U.S. Army. I've been to war twice, during the troop surge of 2007 in Baghdad and again in 2010. Needless to say I've been in a couple of shootouts.

As far as the OP is concerned, no. A police officer shouldn't be able to gun down people who are not endangering his or her life or that of another individual.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Why is the person running? If they haven't done anything wrong they wouldn't be running away.

I'm not entirely sure why this matters? Maybe he has weed in his pocket, does that mean he deserves to be shot?

@pr0metheus said:

^I can agree with this.

@pr0metheus said:

@pooty said:
@pr0metheus said:

@cgoodness said:

end thread

You guys want to give the cop a license for easy execution.

Isn't it already illegal for civilians to shoot someone with their back turned? Cops shouldn't be able to either.

Because they are cowards, and some people will always bow to power no matter how wrong it is. Look how many people in Germany turned a blind eye to the ethnic minorities being slaughtered.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This sounds pretty reasonable.

Emphasis on the LEG part, not sure why cops always seem to want to aim for the chest. "oopsies"

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immortal777 said:

I'm not entirely sure why this matters? Maybe he has weed in his pocket, does that mean he deserves to be shot?

@dboyrules2011 said:
@pr0metheus said:

^I can agree with this.

@llehdevil said:
@pr0metheus said:

@pooty said:
@pr0metheus said:

@cgoodness said:

end thread

You guys want to give the cop a license for easy execution.

@solarpowered said:

Because they are cowards, and some people will always bow to power no matter how wrong it is. Look how many people in Germany turned a blind eye to the ethnic minorities being slaughtered.

Yes we are all apart of the evil establishment master race and want to eliminate everyone who isnt one of us -_-

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no! If some cop doesn't want to chase down a perp, who is obviously not armed (no shots fired at the cop) and is running away, that fatso doesn't deserve to be a cop.

Only a coward would gun a man down when his back is turned, and only a bigger coward would agree to make it a just action.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes.

Hell no! If some cop doesn't want to chase down a perp, who is obviously not armed (no shots fired at the cop) and is running away, that fatso doesn't deserve to be a cop.

Only a coward would gun a man down when his back is turned, and only a bigger coward would agree to make it a just action.

What if the person is a dangerous psycho who could conceivably hurt someone else?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Superguy1591

@bruxae: At no point in time should any man shoot another man in the back, least of which when they are unarmed, and especially not someone who is supposed to uphold law and order. Only a coward shoots another man while his back is turned. Why doesn't the cop not be lazy and go get the person running away? English cops do it, why can't a fat American cop do it?

@cgoodness:I said you bow to power, I didn't say you wanted to get rid of anyone. You read want you want out of it.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae: At no point in time should any man shoot another man in the back, especially not someone who is supposed to uphold law and order. Only a coward shoots another man while his back is turned. Why doesn't the cop not be lazy and go get the person running away? English cops do it, why can't a fat American cop do it?

@cgoodness:I said you bow to power, I didn't say you wanted to get rid of anyone. You read want you want out of it.

Yes we do, praise the all mighty big government police state!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: I just want to know why the person is running from the cops are they a serial killer or are they running from a parking ticket. Why does he have a substance in his pocket that he knows he shouldn't have? This question wouldn't even have to be asked if people weren't running from the cops in first place.

I'm of the mind if people would stop doing wrong we wouldn't even require law enforcement that shots unarmed people.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge: If he's not armed, run him down. If you're too fat to chase after someone you shouldn't be a cop. Full stop, PERIOD.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yes.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DBVSE7

No. Cops don't have that good of an aim to hit someone's leg in the right spot.. this isn't a comicbook.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@immortal777: The question is if a cop should be able to shoot someone unarmed that's running away--it doesn't matter what the person did, they're unarmed.

So if I jaywalk and can't afford to pay the ticket and I run from the cop I deserved to be gunned down like a stray dog?

@cgoodness: Yep, never question big brother.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Why would you run away from cops to being with. Take your punishment like a gentleman or a gentle woman >_<

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@claymore1998: So if I jaywalk and can't afford to pay the ticket and I run from the cop I deserved to be gunned down like a stray dog?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Sometimes being fat has nothing to do with it. We can both be in shape. The person running may just be faster. By running the person is escalating the situation. Sit your butt down and answer his questions. No need for mouthing off or getting an attitude. As i've said in other threads, the percentage of the population that cops kill is a fraction of a fraction. 1200 people killed by cops in 2014. That shows EXTREME restraint when dealing with the public. If a person doesn't want to be shot while running....don't run.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: That's right it's a question to us all not just you, do you think we should all agree with your answer? I asked what the person did for them to decide to run from the cops that's how I'll determine how I answer the question.

I don't care about your stupid ass question about jay walking, I don't know why you would even ask something like this.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: So if I jaywalk and can't afford to pay the ticket and I run from the cop I deserved to be gunned down like a stray dog?

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

Yep.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: That's right it's a question to us all not just you, do you think we should all agree with your answer? I asked what the person did for them to decide to run from the cops that's how I'll determine how I answer the question.

I don't care about your stupid ass question about jay walking, I don't know why you would even ask something like this.

Jaywalking is a crime where I would most likely be unarmed, right? I ran away from a cop after I have committed that crime. Should I be gunned down like an animal after I've fled? Yes or no?

I gave you a scenario because you asked "what did the person do?"

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: that was meant to be a joke friend.

Though why would you run from the police. That never helps your cause.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

JohnnyZ256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if they use a big bomb.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty: You're a cop, you have back-up you can call on if you feel as if the perp is getting away. If you're looking for the easy way out, go be a desk jokey or a janitor, otherwise, know that, as a cop, you have someone else's life in your hands and that you should show restraint when you decide to take someone else's life.

If that's too hard for you, I understand, but you shouldn't be a cop if you can't handle that. Go play GTA, you can shoot anyone you want in the back in that.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: I asked the OP what the person did, I didn't ask you for your stupid as all get out scenario.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: regarding post 31. Can you use a realistic example? How many people are ticketed for jay walking ? How many people run from jay walking tickets? Let's use practical examples. If you can't afford the ticket then you should be smart enough nit to jay walk. Or after you get caught be smart enough to know that runing will only add additional fines that you can't afford. Or be smart enough to know you could get hurt if you run. Again the person running is making a insignificant situation many times worse.

Regarding post 37. If you can't handle paying a jay walking ticket then you shouldn't jay walk. If you wanna jay walk go play gta5 and jay walk all you want.

username12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By username12345

With a taser.

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the circumstances but 90 percent of the time no.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: a legal precedence, wow. Good job there friend, though I am surprised you knew the case law off head.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ComicStooge

@comicstooge: If he's not armed, run him down. If you're too fat to chase after someone you shouldn't be a cop. Full stop, PERIOD.

Lol, no. What if the guy away and straggles a kid to death or something? I'm not saying shoot everyone, but if a person is a threat to innocent people, it only matters if they're stopped not "LOL IT'S DISHONORABLE TO SHOOT THEM IN THE BACK"

HopeOnFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

you watch too much TV. The biggest area of mass on a body is the midsection. TV shows where they are shooting people with handguns in the head or fingers is just totally off unless you have a scope and a long range rifle, and you yourself are not running too

@pooty: You're a cop, you have back-up you can call on if you feel as if the perp is getting away. If you're looking for the easy way out, go be a desk jokey or a janitor, otherwise, know that, as a cop, you have someone else's life in your hands and that you should show restraint when you decide to take someone else's life.

If that's too hard for you, I understand, but you shouldn't be a cop if you can't handle that. Go play GTA, you can shoot anyone you want in the back in that.

It didn't work out of Spiderman. Look what happened to Uncle Ben. Just cause the perp is getting away doesn't mean the Cop should let him go. You know what kind of ripple effect we would have in society if all you had to do was evade the police

@pooty: So if I jaywalk and can't afford to pay the ticket and I run from the cop I deserved to be gunned down like a stray dog?

why did you run away? more importantly, why did you run away from a person you know has a gun?

@bruxae said:

This sounds pretty reasonable.

Emphasis on the LEG part, not sure why cops always seem to want to aim for the chest. "oopsies"

Cuz the chest is the biggest target on the human body and everything else you see on TV with one shot head shots while running is fiction

@pr0metheus: @pooty: @llehdevil: Except in extreme circumstances (sniping and even then it's seldom used) shots to extremities like the arm and the leg are bad ideas. They are harder to hit (and shooting isn't easy, regardless of what your TV or video gaming habits say) and a leg shot can still kill.

Police and military are trained to shoot center mass because it makes it that much easier to actually hit your target and because there is less chance of random factors being involved. A missed shot means that bullet is very possibly going to hit something you don't want it to. As it stands training allows one to fall back and instinctually react to situations. When you have to shoot quickly you won't be contemplating where to shoot, you do what you've trained yourself to do, and that is shoot at center mass.

If you guys care my experience/knowledge base on this comes from my time as a designated marksman in an Infantry unit in the U.S. Army. I've been to war twice, during the troop surge of 2007 in Baghdad and again in 2010. Needless to say I've been in a couple of shootouts.

As far as the OP is concerned, no. A police officer shouldn't be able to gun down people who are not endangering his or her life or that of another individual.

you get it on all fronts. some don't.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Superguy1591

@immortal777: Good thing we're not arguing in person: I might accidentally turn my back on you and become a threat.

@boschepg: Ignoring the fact that the perp in Spider-Man had a gun? Our guy doesn't have a gun.

@comicstooge:dealing in what ifs? So we're going to start killing people for potential future crimes. War is peace, my friend.

@pooty said:

@superguy1591: regarding post 31. Can you use a realistic example? How many people are ticketed for jay walking ? How many people run from jay walking tickets? Let's use practical examples. If you can't afford the ticket then you should be smart enough nit to jay walk. Or after you get caught be smart enough to know that runing will only add additional fines that you can't afford. Or be smart enough to know you could get hurt if you run. Again the person running is making a insignificant situation many times worse.

Regarding post 37. If you can't handle paying a jay walking ticket then you shouldn't jay walk. If you wanna jay walk go play gta5 and jay walk all you want.

So...just shoot them dead if they run, huh?

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge:dealing in what ifs? So we're going to start killing people for potential future crimes. War is peace, my friend.

Lol, by that logic we shouldn't arrest people for plotting murders and terrorist bombings because they haven't gone through with them yet.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Tyger

Are we talking a serial killer that like to beat 80 year old women to death or strangle them with his bare hands?

Or are we talking some stupid kid running from a parking ticket because his old man will beat his backside?

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

If they've actually committed a felony, yes.

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No