Should Cancel Culture make all Super-Villains disappear ?

jacdec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By jacdec

Poll Should Cancel Culture make all Super-Villains disappear ? (16 votes)

Yes 6%
No 75%
View without voting 19%

Why or why not ?

• 
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1 Lunacyde  Moderator

I'm not sure I understand the logic.

jacdec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jacdec

@lunacyde: @kinglouie

The Cancel Culture aims to erase from sight and memory all the people who have perpetrated horrors. They are removing statues of former statesmen, wanting to rename streets or parks with more politically correct names, and want ethnological museums such as the African Museum to be closed.

In this vein, why shouldn't we make virtual villains disappear from the virtual world ? To me, the logic seems obvious.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheInsufferable

I wouldn't say they'd remove them. Their shtick is more like "you're a bigot if you don't like these poor misunderstood souls who have been wrongly framed as villains" or whatever, which naturally means the current heroes are going to be the next villains.

PaleBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No, since comicbooks doesn't represent what super villains does in a morally right spot at all.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, Super Villains is what makes the Comics interesting. If they Cancelled the Memories of the Villains it would be like Erasing Moments of Progress where Someone had to Overcome a Villain.

SpongeGar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

I'm not sure I understand the logic.

Ccbm2208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What would be fun about fiction anymore ?

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mimisalome

Didn't they try to cancel the Joker movie?

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lunacyde  Moderator

@jacdec said:

The Cancel Culture aims to erase from sight and memory all the people who have perpetrated horrors. They are removing statues of former statesmen, wanting to rename streets or parks with more politically correct names, and want ethnological museums such as the African Museum to be closed.

In this vein, why shouldn't we make virtual villains disappear from the virtual world ? To me, the logic seems obvious.

I think there is a clear distinction between honoring real people who did horrible things and allowing bad guys to exist in fictional stories. These two things are not similar in the slightest.

last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It won't.

But it might try take the edge off of them in some cases. The most notorious recent example is the initial media response to the "Joker" movie. But generally, this only really happens in family-friendly properties. Daredevil, Jessica Jones, The Boys, and Invincible have really brutal, controversial villains that didn't get cancelled, or censored beyond what was needed to make them watchable.

But yeah, real life villains are not synonymous with fictional villains in this respect.

jacdec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:
@jacdec said:

I think there is a clear distinction between honoring real people who did horrible things and allowing bad guys to exist in fictional stories. These two things are not similar in the slightest.

I agree. The proposal on the thread is a slight provocation intended to bring about a reflection on the subject. I am opposed to this Cancel Culture which wants to make symbols disappear in order to obscure memory. For me, the statue of a slave owner or a tyrant in a well-appointed context that explains situations, recalls their bad deeds and highlights actions taken for reconciliation is far more useful than these pathetic attempts to force the oversight. Imo a former slave or former oppressed will never forget that he was a slave or an oppressed but the recognition by society that it does not forget, that it regrets and that it acts so that it does not happen again can bring him some comfort.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand the question

However I just want to say that cancel culture is stupid and I can't believe that we are living in this time of cancel culture.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think cancel culture should leave super villains alone.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lunacyde  Moderator

@jacdec: I am in agreement, that in general, I do disagree with cancel culture. However, in some cases I do believe that some items belong in museums, not honored in our parks and memorials. To me its not about hiding history, it is about putting it in a proper place where it is about learning, not celebrating or memorializing.

WizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the point of heroes without villains?

sabracadabra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cancel culture itself should dissapear.

jacdec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

@jacdec said:

There's difference between acts of unspeakable evil in real life versus fictious figures you make-up. This thread topic itself doesn't add up in the slightest.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I'd rather see Leatherface making the Cancel Culture disappear. ))) Like he did in that video.

Loading Video...