Should all public colleges and universities be tuition-free?

Edamame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should all public colleges and universities be tuition-free? (166 votes)

Yes. 46%
No. 54%

This is a serious and important topic in politics and society right now, especially in the U.S.

Any thoughts on this? Feel free to post your opinions below.

• 
Toneran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202  Edited By Toneran

i think all public colleges and universities be tuition-free. In college I received a task to write finance essay on several pages, which will concern the main achievements in the space industry of the country and the world as a whole. I need to write what we have at the moment and describe the perspectives. I heard that some companies can write my finance essay for me. Found one company https://au.edubirdie.com/finance-assignments. What do you think? Maybe you should contact?

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of those ideas that I feel falls under the umbrella of it sounds better in theory than it would be in execution.

freestyler1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would not want to live in a country with a system that prevents poor people from getting education or better their situation that much, so of course.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No. Someone has to pay for it. The people who want the education should instead of me paying for others indirectly through taxes.

Otyemmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am of the opinion that public colleges and universities should not be tuition-free, but the tuitions should be deducted. If Public colleges and Universities become tuition-free, students will not value the education they receive. Free things are often undervalued. For example, there was a time that post UTME forms(https://www.studydriller.com/blog/school-news/post-utme-school-news/) were declared free for all Nigerians, candidates became redundant and were no longer practicing with Post UTME Past questions(https://www.studydriller.com/up-to-date-post-utme-past-questions-and-answers/) because they believe that they will also be given free admission!

Otyemmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am of the opinion that public colleges and universities should not be tuition-free, but the tuitions should be deducted. If Public colleges and Universities become tuition-free, students will not value the education they receive. Free things are often undervalued. For example, there was a time that <a href="https://www.studydriller.com/blog/school-news/post-utme-school-news/">post UTME forms</a> were declared free for all Nigerians, candidates became redundant and were no longer practicing with Post UTME Past questions(https://www.studydriller.com/up-to-date-post-utme-past-questions-and-answers/) because they believe that they will also be given free admission!

Soratoumiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes.

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
RedHood_JayTodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By RedHood_JayTodd

I think the first two years of community college should be tuition free.

TonyStark6999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When will people learn that America isn't interested in things like education and healthcare

BB

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, business doesn't work that way.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan said:

No, business doesn't work that way.

Then how does it work mister know it all !

Off course education should be free ! Like that everyone could attend. And the poor but bright minds could study correctly and be way more usefull to society.

It would give a fairer chance in life to everyone.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131: Education itself is also a business. If education was free, less people would be willing to educate, to the point that far less people would get proper education compared to today's world.

Avatar image for meandyourgirl69
MeAndYourGirl69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can come up with how the facilities will be maintained and the lecturers will be paid then sure.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan said:

@jb681131: Education itself is also a business. If education was free, less people would be willing to educate, to the point that far less people would get proper education compared to today's world.

That makes no sence. Why whould people want to study less if it was free ??

Also college fees are a burden on the parents. It's unfair.

And they are a burden on students who have to find a job as they study, pulling down their grades.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131:

That's not what I said. The reason why there are a lot of schools these days is because they're profitable. If making businesses out of education is banned, there will be fewer schools and the quality will drop, making good education even more unreachable.

Let's replace education with dancing. If all dancing performances must be free of charge, how many people do you think would pick up dancing? Maybe you're gonna say, "oh, the government can support them", but in reality, how many dancers would actually manage to get financially supported by the government? It'd 100% result in fewer dancers, the drop in quality, and fewer dance performances for people to watch in the end.

What you're proposing doesn't really work. That's what I'm saying.

And they are a burden on students who have to find a job as they study, pulling down their grades.

I never said it was fair.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan said:

@jb681131:

That's not what I said. The reason why there are a lot of schools these days is because they're profitable. If making businesses out of education is banned, there will be fewer schools and the quality will drop, making good education even more unreachable.

Let's replace education with dancing. If all dancing performances must be free of charge, how many people do you think would pick up dancing? Maybe you're gonna say, "oh, the government can support them", but in reality, how many dancers would actually manage to get financially supported by the government? It'd 100% result in fewer dancers, the drop in quality, and fewer dance performances for people to watch in the end.

What you're proposing doesn't really work. That's what I'm saying.

I never said it was fair.

No No No No No No !!!!

"The reason why there are a lot of schools these days is because they're profitable." - it's because there are that much student to teach. If it was free, there would be as much, if not more schools !

"the quality will drop" - no, the teachers will still be as smart !

It's stupid to compare with dancing ! Dancing doesn't bring you an education ! And dancing is only one field while learning there are many many fields.

"What you're proposing doesn't really work. That's what I'm saying." - yes it does work ! that's what there is in many european countries ! Free educution. I live in france, and from kindergarden to college it's free ! And I've lived in the US, so I can compare.

Don't say it doesn't when it's like that in many places in the world, and it works perfectly ! French people aren't any dumber, I would even say they are a bit less stupid than American.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@edamame said:

What is the purpose in having public colleges and universities?

To give education

BB

ninetoadclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be fine with it if they greatly raised what it takes to get in.

There are MANY colleges that are just “pay us and get a degree”.

One of my best friends is one of the main people in charge of most hires at the local big business that employs more people than anywhere else in the state and I know for a fact they have an internal policy of not hiring hiring people with degrees from certain places, and it is not a short list either.

I also live in a college town, well community college town anyway, and they let anyone with a check in. One of the girls I went to school with made a 16 on her ACT, and graduated high school at 21, she walked right in.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edamame:

I would agree with this, but there should be certain conditions.

I would propose the following:

- It would still implement candidate testing to qualify aptitude and competency to finish the course.

- It should be free only for courses that has real and practical value (frivoulous courses about studying nonsense should not be included - market/community demand is a good indicator of valuable professions).

- graduates should serve a portion of their early career, serving the public (kinda like how the US Military provide scholarship for their servicemen).], eg: if they are doctors, who avail to such programs, they should work at government subsidized/public hospitals first.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edamame:

- I have no comment about those subjects that you listed.

I dont really know if they are in demand or not.

I'm just saying that if we are going to put poor student to school for free, we might as well have them learn something that can actually help them find a good steady job that pays well

I mean we are supposed to help them achieve financial independence and financial success.

So it would be pointless if they end up jobless after they graduate because there is no work waiting for them

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

- Most courses have a practicuum/training part anyway.

So there isn't really much of a choice that they will always start in their professions lacking in experience.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

- It is pretty risky for private companies to put people in school. Unless that is their business in the first place (eg: business that provides student loans or scholarship plans).

They exist to earn profits not to act as charity organization.

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. You are paying for your own comfort.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edamame said:

@mimisalome: Now, this question is a little bit off-topic, but what do you think should be done with public high schools?

What about it?

In most countries, Highschool Education is already publicly funded, they partnered this with private schools so people can still have an options on items and preferences that standard public education couldn't meet,

examples:

1. religious or cultural environment for people who adhere to some religious belief or some cultural background,
  2. in-depth tutoring and coaching focusing on certain subjects that other children might not want to participate or engage with - like: sports, theaters, or music
  3. special education needs for kids that could perform either above or below the public education standards.

This is a good practice,

in a sense that the government can provide a general solution for something that everyone needs in a standardize and fair manner (nobody is getting special treatment)

while people still have a freedom to create their own solutions and negotiate among themselves when they need to, when the government solution is inadequate for their needs.

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edamame: By that, I didn't mean relaxing. I mean, school is supposed to be fun, otherwise most people wouldn't take education seriously. But what I meant was that we pay in order to make learning a safer place and much more habitable.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edamame:

Society operates via law and policies, it would be a benefit for the society that, at the minimum, every citizens know how to read, write, calculate, reason, and comprehend.

Universal level of literacy is a common interest for all, hence any effort to achieve it is not a waste of effort.

This is why we realize that literacy should be a mandatory skill for everyone.

In modern society we are also expose to many common technologies that require bare minimum technical competency in order to operate safely.

As we don't want to have regular disasters and accidents happening in our community, a bare minimum technical competency and understanding of technology is a common interest for all, hence any effort to achieve it is not a waste of effort.

This is why we realize that technical understanding of many technologies is a mandatory skill in modern age.

High School education can provide such knowledge and training.

Hence we try to make it universal and accessible to all.