Should all public colleges and universities be tuition-free?

Edamame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Should all public colleges and universities be tuition-free? (166 votes)

Yes. 46%
No. 54%

This is a serious and important topic in politics and society right now, especially in the U.S.

Any thoughts on this? Feel free to post your opinions below.

• 
Arkbound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Arkbound

Why have colleges if education is free? Might as well make everything accessible online and via libraries etc (outside of labs and research offices ofc)

The only learning institutions that will work in that setting are hands on practical learning like trades and certain sciences

IceDemonKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be cool, especially for me when I'm old enough. But I dunno, some people might not try as hard if it was free.

But who am I to speak. I'm not an expert.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where do people think this money will come from? An increase in taxes? No thanks.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is one of those ideas that I feel falls under the umbrella of it sounds better in theory than it would be in execution.

sineyaprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of those ideas that I feel falls under the umbrella of it sounds better in theory than it would be in execution.

Agreed.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sovereign91001 said:

Agreed.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Thekillerklok

With the internet being a thing that exists. it would not be difficult to offer free online courses...

if you don't believe this can be done without somone "Grading the papers" take a look into that DS game that teaches you Japanese.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I could be convinced to even make it mandatory, let alone free. I don't think high school is enough in terms of educating people.

@arkbound said:

Why have colleges if education is free? Might as well make everything accessible online and via libraries etc (outside of labs and research offices ofc)

The only learning institutions that will work in that setting are hands on practical learning like trades and certain sciences

These are great points. I have to think more on it.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No...because I'm a hater and if it wasn't free for me, I don't want it to be free for others lol.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

GOD NO!

Arkbound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arkbound

@ms-lola I think as a society we need to determine at what level education stops being a right and becomes a privilege (or commodity) if we believe that a college degree is now a right then certain other questions must also be answered (what I was getting at above)

But take your time to consider and get back to me with your answer :D

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sovereign91001 said:

Agreed.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, basically four more years of public high school? I don't see the benefits. How are you going to attract good professors on a public educational wage? How are you going to pay to maintain the campuses fairly? If every school is funded from taxes, do they still have the right to exclude any student who doesn't meet its standards?

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

idk about free but maybe some kind of voucher system would be possible that could be used toward any post hs education.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mrmonster

Nothing in life is ever truly free. Either we pay directly, or we pay through taxes. Either way, we pay; it's just a matter of paying voluntarily or being forced to pay.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:
@sineyaprime said:
@sovereign91001 said:

Agreed.

Aimless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Aimless

In an ideal world,yes.However by that argument basic commodities such as food and shelter should be free but they aren't.

Making one thing free means you'll end up having to pay for something else more

KingCrimson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes.

An increase in taxes is a small price to pay for free education & health care for everyone.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I think it should because, as we see now, the fees only serve as a barrier that stops people from getting a proper education, not becuase they are lazy or incapable of completing one, but because they are simply poor.

Or if thats too much, simply have a free public version and have the private institutions on the side you pay for yourself. It's a simple way of the government saying: "Yes we are interested in your child, our future taxpayer and citizen, getting a good education and a good job down the line, so we have this offer for you. If you feel we are insufficient then there are other options for you as well, but we cannot help you financially with that."

@kyrees said:
@sineyaprime said:
@sovereign91001 said:

Agreed.

Not really, I live in a place that has it, and it works.

Avatar image for redxiii18881990
Redxiii18881990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in a country that has free education, so I can't complain. But just because I'm entitled to free education does not mean I qualify for it. This would allow the institutions to maintain standards by limiting entry requirements, and they could also still have donations run and funding given to the institutions to higher better professionals.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kyrees

@outside_85 said:

so how's the tax rate of your country then ?

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

When will people learn that America isn't interested in things like education and healthcare

BB

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By dernman  Online

@arkbound said:

@ms-lola I think as a society we need to determine at what level education stops being a right and becomes a privilege (or commodity) if we believe that a college degree is now a right then certain other questions must also be answered (what I was getting at above)

But take your time to consider and get back to me with your answer :D

You could think of it as an investment for a stronger nation instead of a right or privilege.

Having said that I don't really swing either way on the subject of free or not. It's something I would have to think about longer than just a random post.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Static Shock

College used to cheaper during the baby boom generation...

Arkbound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Arkbound

@dernman:

You could think of it as an investment for a stronger nation instead of a right or privilege.

That holds the assumption that all fields of study lead to (or contribute to) a stronger nation. You saying that a dead languages major like latin holds the same economic/ social value as computer science or engineering major? Idealistically I suppose you could argue yes, but practically not all educations are worth the investment. So are we going to cherry pick which fields of study are free and which aren't?

And too my earlier point at what level does it stop? Are we now providing doctorates and masters for free as well? Not to sound like a snob but an educations value is relativistic. The reason people want a post secondary is because high school isnt enough. If we do the same thing to post secondary than a masters will become the new undergraduate. That isn't inherently bad mind you, but it seems as though this approach will just create other problems and likely fail to solve ones it hasn't even considered. Seems like a band-aid and not a cure.

Not trying to put words in your mouth just questions to consider.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28  Edited By Pyrogram

Of course it should. Lots of countries have free education, lots have in the past and it only did good things. Free education is a drop in the bucket compared to most countries military expenditure. There's always money for that...

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pyrogram

@kyrees said:
@outside_85 said:

Let's take Scotland -- Free education, tax rate for most people is 20% and they get free education and healthcare. In the USA tax varies from 10% to 39.6%, and in the USA you don't get free healthcare nor education.

The entire UK used to have free education, although it might come back. It's a myth 'free' education = lots of tax, it's not that expensive in comparison to other expenditures the government have.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kyrees

@pyrogram said:
@kyrees said:
@outside_85 said:

Let's take Scotland -- Free education, tax rate for most people is 20% and they get free education and healthcare. In the USA tax varies from 10% to 39.6%, and in the USA you don't get free healthcare nor education.

The entire UK used to have free education, although it might come back. It's a myth 'free' education = lots of tax, it's not that expensive in comparison to other expenditures the government have.

i'm asking how big the tax rate because the follow up question is how much of it actually goes into education or "free education". there could be a lot of figures to it but if the government doesn't support the education sector that much, private sectors are more likely to keep a strangehold to it.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pyrogram

@kyrees: Obviously enough for it to work otherwise free education wouldn't work :P It's just a myth that free education = big taxes on everybody.

For instance to bring free university for everybody in the UK it would need £9.5bn, easily costed by taxing those who make more than £80,000. That's over $100000 USA dollars annually. I'm almost certain there's nobody on Comic Vine who makes more than one hundred thousand dollars a year LOL

In the UK that's 1.2 million people, out of 65 Million people.

I will argue anybody in this thread that dares to debate this myth, because free education is easily viable. You tax the 1% a little more and 99% of the population (AND the 1%) get free education.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

@kyrees: Obviously enough for it to work otherwise free education wouldn't work :P It's just a myth that free education = big taxes on everybody.

For instance to bring free university for everybody in the UK it would need £9.5bn, easily costed by taxing those who make more than £80,000. That's over $100000 USA Dollars yearly. I'm almost certain there's nobody on Comic Vine who makes more than one hundred thousand dollars a year LOL

In the UK that's 1.2 million people, out of 65 Million people.

I will argue anybody in this thread that dares to debate this myth, because free education is easily viable.

free education in college level is non existent in my country despite having the most share of the yearly budget so you see my apprehension to it.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees: Really? Where do you live?

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

@kyrees: Really? Where do you live?

philippines. it's only been recently that there's a proposal for free college education here but as it turns out, it's not really free at all.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees: It's about using money right. There isn't much mass corruption in the UK so things like this usually always work, usually >.>

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram said:

@kyrees: It's about using money right. There isn't much mass corruption in the UK so things like this usually always work, usually >.>

tell me about it. -_-

at this point, i doubt free college would exist at my country at my lifetime and i'm nearing 50.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@kyrees said:
@pyrogram said:
@kyrees said:
@outside_85 said:

i'm asking how big the tax rate because the follow up question is how much of it actually goes into education or "free education". there could be a lot of figures to it but if the government doesn't support the education sector that much, private sectors are more likely to keep a strangehold to it.

Combined for most people here the tax is about 40%'ish. And yes, when you put it that way, it's not free... however, since you've already paid for it over your taxes in small amounts over the years, you don't come to a day where you have to cough up half a million bucks as you sign a dotted line. I dont know, but you could look at it like a loan or a piggybank the government is trying to help you with.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Combined for most people here the tax is about 40%'ish. And yes, when you put it that way, it's not free... however, since you've already paid for it over your taxes in small amounts over the years, you don't come to a day where you have to cough up half a million bucks as you sign a dotted line. I dont know, but you could look at it like a loan or a piggybank the government is trying to help you with.

the 40% tax is a lot more offputting though but you have free college education, it's all ok. i assume you have better healthcare then ?

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By GIliad_

Considering Labour (UK) just said they're gonna abolish tuition fees it's a pretty hot topic here too. As a student who's gonna be going to Uni imminently I'll say... Yeah!

IceDemonKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sophia89 said:

Nope. We already spend more than any country to provide free education, and it's absolute shit. So let's not extend it to universes and colleges.

I don't think we're advanced enough to get past the solar system, let alone other universes lol.

MOWJACK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Education is a right not a commodity

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I'll explain why later.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AlphaQ

It's unethical to make people pay for things that they don't benefit from. People who aren't getting the education have to pay for the people who do, seems wrong to me.

Taxing the rich either makes them work less, which hurts the economy, or the cost of the extra taxes get shifted onto consumers or employees.

The free market is almost always more efficient than publicly run institution. The overall cost of college will go down (especially since the government won't be essentially giving colleges a blank check), the quality will go up as colleges have to compete with each other and the incentives to get a valuable education goes up (since they'll earn more money when taxes are lower and they won't waste their money on useless degrees like they would waste other people's money).

Also there is the issue of opportunity cost. With our aging workforce we need more young people in work. If college is free people are less likely to work part time and study or to choose to go into the workforce. This represents an opportunity cost on society and this is especially the case when people get degrees that don't qualify them to do anything anyway, or worse yet they just go on to provide a service that is basically a scam, like teaching gender studies or lesbian dance theory. This ties into the idea of education being relativistic, if undergrads were free people would have to get a masters or doctorate to have an edge and this would make the aging workforce problem worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf
deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its not free because the US cant afford it

they are too many unsuccessful people in the us we havent even cured hunger poverty gang violence etc

i wish it could be i agree with @mowjack the whole point of education is to teach the youth to do better so we do not repeat the same mistakes

but america is a joke we're on our own

Avatar image for deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf
deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

even richer people agreed with being taxed more

but sadly this is the face of america

the american dream isn't what people think it is

depending on where your born

you could be born high class and never struggle

or from the streets and end up on your knees

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If states want to pay for it let them. This is beyond the authority of the US federal government. I think this is a bad idea on several levels:

1) Most states , and especially the federal government, can't afford it. I saw where Bernie Sanders campaign estimated that it would cost $75 Billion a year (seems optimistically low), not counting the $31 billion in federal loans, grants and work study. Someone will say 'let the rich pay for it'. First, its immoral to take someone's money just because they are rich, even if you can make government do it for you. Even if it wasn't, the reality is that the cost will be passed on to each of us, either through taxes, price increases, severance notices, decreased small business sales, etc. Remember the tax on yachts that was tried on rich people a few years ago. What happened? Rich people got their yachts out of of the country and avoided the tax, while hard working boat builders lost their jobs in Maryland and Virginia.

2) If you aren't directly paying for it, then the cost goes up. Do you shop around for the lowest priced goods if you aren't the one directly paying for it? Of course you don't. It is always easier to spend someone else's money than your own. If you "limit" cost increases, that means government takes an active role in your educational decision making, which is never good.

3) This diverts funds from other needed programs. Health care is collapsing. Social Security is rapidly approaching the day when it gives out more than it takes it. We have a $19.9 trillion dollar debt in the U.S. with each tax payer owing over $165,000. Don't you think its time we stop over spending and learn to live in a sustainable way?

If states want to do this why not set up an online state college that's free, it would cost the government less to set up and maintain over the long haul than paying colleges tuition money. They could require any university accepting government research grants or that has students with government loans to accept the accreditation. This would also be a great service for those who are unemployed and need to pursue a new career. Sure it would cost some professors their jobs in the short run, but they could get free education to help them start their new careers.

IceDemonKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So just a question but any Canadians here for it?

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is a good trade to have loans for a better job and increased pay.