See official trailer (AppleTV series starring Jason Momoa)

#1 Posted by mrmonster (17155 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by mrmonster (17155 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't really given much thought to AppleTV, but I think this looks awesome.

#3 Posted by KingOfWakanda (3382 posts) - - Show Bio

AppleTV wasn't on my radar until they announced $4.99/month. This might be worth checking out.

#4 Edited by PenguinDust (9948 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks well produced. Makes me want to go back and finish Horizon Zero Dawn. Did anyone watch Momoa's Frontier series on Netflix?

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#5 Posted by buttersdaman000 (23240 posts) - - Show Bio

How do they know those babies can see? What a dumb premise lol

#6 Posted by mrmonster (17155 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks well produced. Makes me want to go back and finish Horizon Zero Dawn. Did anyone watch Momoa's Frontier series on Netflix?

I have. Hugely underappreciated series. I'm hoping it gets a fourth season, although I'm growing more and more doubtful of that.

Avatar image for mylittlefascist
#7 Posted by MyLittleFascist (32853 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean... I'd imagine they would explain that in the actual series...

#8 Posted by buttersdaman000 (23240 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:

I can't fathom any explanation that doesn't sound contrived and stupid. Like, how do they even know what sight is if humanity has been blind for so long that vision has become a myth? They might have an idea of it, but it'd be like us trying to imagine mantis shrimp sees. Maybe they have some "Daredevil-esque" powers, but still, the premise is horribly bad from the jump. I predict a series reliant on exposition, contrivances, and shifty writing just to keep the story moving lol

#9 Posted by mrmonster (17155 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

I can't fathom any explanation that doesn't sound contrived and stupid. Like, how do they even know what sight is if humanity has been blind for so long that vision has become a myth? They might have an idea of it, but it'd be like us trying to imagine mantis shrimp sees. Maybe they have some "Daredevil-esque" powers, but still, the premise is horribly bad from the jump. I predict a series reliant on exposition, contrivances, and shifty writing just to keep the story moving lol

Maybe the babies reach out and touch things that they otherwise wouldn't know were there. Maybe they behave differently when their eyes are covered, or don't like being outside during the day.

I've never been around a blind baby, but I'm sure they behave a lot differently than able-bodied babies.

#10 Edited by jonjizz (1622 posts) - - Show Bio

don't like the plot, shame, the setting was pretty interesting

#11 Posted by Kevd4wg (14309 posts) - - Show Bio

looks kinda stupid ngl

#12 Posted by MyLittleFascist (32853 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

I can't fathom any explanation that doesn't sound contrived and stupid.

Well then it's a good thing you're not a writer.

#13 Posted by buttersdaman000 (23240 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:
@mylittlefascist said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

Maybe the babies reach out and touch things that they otherwise wouldn't know were there. Maybe they behave differently when their eyes are covered, or don't like being outside during the day.

I've never been around a blind baby, but I'm sure they behave a lot differently than able-bodied babies.

If humanity has adapted to the point where the blind can literally lead the blind, then they must have extrasensory abilities to the point where vision is hardly needed. So, the babies in this show won't behave like blind babies in real life. I just can't imagine an explanation that isn't contrived.

@buttersdaman000 said:
@mylittlefascist said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

I can't fathom any explanation that doesn't sound contrived and stupid.

Well then it's a good thing you're not a writer.

Since when do you need to be a writer to critique a dumb premise? The point of a trailer is to grab a viewers attention, not make them question how the show even made it past the approval desk.

#14 Posted by MyLittleFascist (32853 posts) - - Show Bio

Since when do you need to be a writer to critique a dumb premise? The point of a trailer is to grab a viewers attention, not make them question how the show even made it past the approval desk.

Wow... You completely missed the point...

#15 Edited by buttersdaman000 (23240 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

Wow... You completely missed the point...

I think you're missing the point, obviously more interested in being a dismissive smart aleck for no reason. I'm not a writer, and neither are you. Writers aren't infallible. With all the great shows available, with premises that stand up to basic levels of scrutiny, why watch a show that can't even do that? The show has already failed on an extremely basic level. I'll critique this show just as much as nearly everyone who's seen the trailer has. If you have a problem with it, who cares? I bet you thought season 8 of GoT had great writing too lol

#16 Posted by Fabricolage (2186 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the weird music they played. Seems tribal.

#17 Posted by MyLittleFascist (32853 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you're missing the point, obviously more interested in being a dismissive smart aleck for no reason. I'm not a writer, and neither are you. Writers aren't infallible. With all the great shows available, with premises that stand up to basic levels of scrutiny, why watch a show that can't even do that? The show has already failed on an extremely basic level. I'll critique this show just as much as nearly everyone who's seen the trailer has. If you have a problem with it, who cares? I bet you thought season 8 of GoT had great writing too lol

This is what I mean about missing the point. You said you "I can't fathom any explanation that doesn't sound contrived and stupid", my response was that "it's a good thing you're not a writer".

This has NOTHING to do with "needing to be a writer to critique a story".

What it DOES have to do with, is your PERSONAL lack of creativity. YOUR inability to "fathom" an explanation that's not "contrived and stupid", does NOT mean that such an explanation does not exist. YOU lack the creativity to come up with a proper explanation, therefore I made an off-hand comment about how it's "a good thing you're not a writer".

basic levels of scrutiny

There's nothing to scrutinize, because we haven't seen what their explanation is yet. It's a trailer, we have not seen their explanation. You're inability to think of an explanation on your own, does not constitute a failure on their part.

why watch a show that can't even do that?

I mean... You're a comic site... 99% of the shit discussed on this site fails "basic levels of scrutiny".

a dismissive smart aleck for no reason.

Being a "dismissive smart aleck" is watching a trailer and going "I can't personally think of an explanation, therefore this is horrible writing!"

#18 Edited by buttersdaman000 (23240 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

This is what I mean about missing the point. You said you "I can't fathom any explanation that doesn't sound contrived and stupid", my response was that "it's a good thing you're not a writer".

This has NOTHING to do with "needing to be a writer to critique a story".

What it DOES have to do with, is your PERSONAL lack of creativity. YOUR inability to "fathom" an explanation that's not "contrived and stupid", does NOT mean that such an explanation does not exist. YOU lack the creativity to come up with a proper explanation, therefore I made an off-hand comment about how it's "a good thing you're not a writer".

basic levels of scrutiny

There's nothing to scrutinize, because we haven't seen what their explanation is yet. It's a trailer, we have not seen their explanation. You're inability to think of an explanation on your own, does not constitute a failure on their part.

why watch a show that can't even do that?

I mean... You're a comic site... 99% of the shit discussed on this site fails "basic levels of scrutiny".

a dismissive smart aleck for no reason.

Being a "dismissive smart aleck" is watching a trailer and going "I can't personally think of an explanation, therefore this is horrible writing!"

You're still missing the point. I'm allowed to criticize whatever I want. I don't need you to come in, go "WeLL YoU'Re NoT a wrITeR". That's just pedantic and annoying, and beside the point as it is. I'm not criticizing the quality of their writing, i'm criticizing their idea. It's a stupid premise. If I told you I was gonna make an app that told you what day it was and charge people 99 cents for it, you'd be justified in saying that's a stupid idea because it is. You don't have to be a programmer to tell me that. There's no point for me to argue that you should wait till you try it, because you're already turned off by the idea. So, it doesn't matter how much you want to carp about me supposedly not having the "creativity" to figure out how the writers are going to successfully navigate the obvious pitfalls in the premise without impeding on the quality of the writing. I'm already turned off. Because the premise is stupid. Which is my point.

There is something to scrutinize -- the trailer. I watched it, formed an opinion, shared that opinion, and here we are. People scrutinize and criticize trailers all the time. It's how they decide whether or not to watch a movie or TV show. It's pretty common. If somebody thinks the plot of a movie looks dumb, they're likely to not watch it....because it's dumb. You don't have to go around policing people and telling them to watch it before criticizing it. They don't need to watch it. The trailer failed to get them that far.

And, going by the reception this trailer is getting, i'm far from alone in thinking this show is stupid from the jump. It's like that cavemen show based off the commercials and everyone said the show looked stupid. Well, everyone was right. The show got cancelled before the first season ended IIRC, and had horrible reviews because it was poorly conceived. Or that dinosaur show everyone said wouldn't last a season because the premise wasn't sustainable. Everyone was right.

They really don't though. Comics aren't even subjected to the same amount of scrutiny that serialized tv shows are, so this is a bad comparison to even try to make. Again, why watch a show that sounds as stupid as this when I can watch Watchmen, The Mandolorian, The Boys, or any other show that doesn't immediately make you go....."wait...that doesn't make any sense".

No, you're getting it mixed up. It's more like, "This show looks stupid and nonsensical, I predict it's going to have a lot of contrived writing, therefore i'm not really interested in it".

What you're doing is like, "You can't have an opinion on the show since you haven't watched it, never mind the fact that the point of a trailer is to form an opinion on the show. YoURe nOT A wRitER"

#19 Posted by MyLittleFascist (32853 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000:

You're still missing the point. I'm allowed to criticize whatever I want.

*Facepalm*

The point is NOT that you "must be a writer" to critique something. The point is that your critique is horrible, and thus it is evidence that you would not make a good writer. It's really not that hard to understand.

f I told you I was gonna make an app that told you what day it was and charge people 99 cents for it, you'd be justified in saying that's a stupid idea because it is. You don't have to be a programmer to tell me that.

Again, the argument was never "you have to be a writer to critique something" the argument was "your critique is bad, showing you would likely make a poor writer".

Even if we were to follow your example, it still would not apply to the situation as the logistical issues of the app have nothing to do with the programming aspect.

If your criticism of the app was that you personally wouldn't know how to program it and thus "programming it must be impossible", then yea I would say you would need to be a programmer to make such an argument. Even then, just because one programmer can't make an app function, doesn't mean another one can't.

here is something to scrutinize -- the trailer. I watched it, formed an opinion, shared that opinion, and here we are. People scrutinize and criticize trailers all the time. It's how they decide whether or not to watch a movie or TV show. It's pretty common. If somebody thinks the plot of a movie looks dumb, they're likely to not watch it....because it's dumb. You don't have to go around policing people and telling them to watch it before criticizing it. They don't need to watch it. The trailer failed to get them that far.

Except that your criticism isn't based on a flaw shown in the trailer, it's based on your own inability to think of a plausible explanation for something.

any other show that doesn't immediately make you go....."wait...that doesn't make any sense".

Just because something doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

#20 Posted by WhyZoSerious (2155 posts) - - Show Bio

He should have finished Frontier.

#21 Edited by buttersdaman000 (23240 posts) - - Show Bio

@mylittlefascist said:

@buttersdaman000:

You're still missing the point. I'm allowed to criticize whatever I want.

*Facepalm*

The point is NOT that you "must be a writer" to critique something. The point is that your critique is horrible, and thus it is evidence that you would not make a good writer. It's really not that hard to understand.

f I told you I was gonna make an app that told you what day it was and charge people 99 cents for it, you'd be justified in saying that's a stupid idea because it is. You don't have to be a programmer to tell me that.

Again, the argument was never "you have to be a writer to critique something" the argument was "your critique is bad, showing you would likely make a poor writer".

Even if we were to follow your example, it still would not apply to the situation as the logistical issues of the app have nothing to do with the programming aspect.

If your criticism of the app was that you personally wouldn't know how to program it and thus "programming it must be impossible", then yea I would say you would need to be a programmer to make such an argument. Even then, just because one programmer can't make an app function, doesn't mean another one can't.

here is something to scrutinize -- the trailer. I watched it, formed an opinion, shared that opinion, and here we are. People scrutinize and criticize trailers all the time. It's how they decide whether or not to watch a movie or TV show. It's pretty common. If somebody thinks the plot of a movie looks dumb, they're likely to not watch it....because it's dumb. You don't have to go around policing people and telling them to watch it before criticizing it. They don't need to watch it. The trailer failed to get them that far.

Except that your criticism isn't based on a flaw shown in the trailer, it's based on your own inability to think of a plausible explanation for something.

any other show that doesn't immediately make you go....."wait...that doesn't make any sense".

Just because something doesn't make sense to you, doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

Jesus, you have a hard time understanding the concept of an opinion, don't you?

*Facepalm*

That is your original point, no matter how much you want to deflect away from it. My critique isn't "horrible", because i'm not critiquing anything based on quality. I'm critiquing an IDEA. The premise is stupid to ME (and a lot of other people). I then extrapolated from that critique and made predictions on the show. It's also hilarious that you think i'd be a horrible writer based off this single thread. Aren't you doing the same thing to me that you accuse me of doing to the show? You haven't read any of my work. All you have is some off-hand comment based on my criticism of the shows premise, and you jump to the conclusion that i'm a horrible writer? Pretty hypocritical of you man. How can you base my skill off something you don't have the full idea of?? Hmmm???

Hey, whatever. Then how about this,

"The shows premise is stupid, meaning it will likely be a poor show" :/

No, you missed the point...again. The criticism of the app is the same as the criticism of the show. It's a stupid idea that failed to interest the user. Why would anyone pay or use for this app when there are better options? Just like a trailer is basically the presentation of an idea, used to grab the viewers attention. If it doesn't then it fails. Why watch a show that immediately made you think "that's stupid"?

......the flaw is that I think it's stupid....damn...

It doesn't make sense to ANYONE right now, including you. That's why you're so obsessed with calling me out for not waiting until I watch it because only once one watches it will it finally "make sense". The thing is, I don't need or want to understand it, because the premise is STUPID. To ME.