Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By Korg
@difficlus said:
"in sudan not all of africa. i'm from nigeria and lived in south africa for 7 years before coming to jamaica and africa is not a country people! its a continent. most people aren't even aware of this.  "
This picture was taken in Sudan. Sudan is in Africa. The phrase "troubles in Africa" was used. Should I have left out the word Africa for some strange reason I am completely unaware of?
Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#52  Edited By Deadcool
@TheBatman586: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Carter

Death

On 27 July 1994 Carter drove to the Braamfontein Spruit river, near the Field and Study Centre, an area where he used to play as a child, and took his own life by taping one end of a hose to his pickup truck’s exhaust pipe and running the other end to the passenger-side window. He died of carbon monoxide poisoning at the age of 33. Portions of Carter's suicide note read:

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By difficlus
@Korg said:

" @difficlus said:

"in sudan not all of africa. i'm from nigeria and lived in south africa for 7 years before coming to jamaica and africa is not a country people! its a continent. most people aren't even aware of this.  "

This picture was taken in Sudan. Sudan is in Africa. The phrase "troubles in Africa" was used. Should I have left out the word Africa for some strange reason I am completely unaware of? "
generalization. if an event happens in china most people wont firstly say "it happened in asia btw" but china. If there is a famine in a section of china you wont say there is a famine in asia... africa is the second largest continent in the world and has 54 countries. people need to learn not all places are like that in africa. its just prejudice like what they always say and show about the middle east to make us thinks its all a big war-zone.
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Korg
@Lance Uppercut said:
" No. The UN workers didn't think to snap a photo and win a Pulitzer. Carter did.  "
Yes, promoting awareness of social ills is a terrible misdeed. I'm just going to quote Sparda: 

@Sparda
said:
" Concerning the moral quandaries of Mr. Carter, everyone, please shut the fuck up."
Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#55  Edited By Green Skin
@Korg said:
" Hey, vultures have to eat too. 

People who are angry at the photographer: You are incredibly sheltered. "
Way to sound like a jack ass.
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Korg
@difficlus said:
" generalization."
The phrase "troubles in Africa" is general, not specific. Not sure how you want me to structure that sentence. The famine in Sudan is one of many troubles in Africa that was going on in 1994, which you should know all about since you lived in South Africa. 

@difficlus said:
"its just prejudice"
No, it really isn't in any way, shape, or form.
Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#57  Edited By Deadcool

It make me sad...

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Korg
@Green Skin said:
"Way to sound like a jack ass. "
Why do you hate vultures?
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By difficlus
@Korg said:

" @difficlus said:

" generalization."
The phrase "troubles in Africa" is general, not specific. Not sure how you want me to structure that sentence. The famine in Sudan is one of many troubles in Africa that was going on in 1994, which you should know all about since you lived in South Africa. 

@difficlus said:
"its just prejudice"
No, it really isn't in any way, shape, or form. "
i know about everything that happened and happens there but the whole world has problems. i have a problem when people think Africa is just one country. i want less generalization on the continent and more focus on each country and how they differ form the others. Sudan way for some time and in a way still is quite bad off... each nation has its own problems.  as for the second part...what?
Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By Green Skin
@Korg said:
" @Green Skin said:
"Way to sound like a jack ass. "
Why do you hate vultures? "
Do I hate vultures? Nope. People that make ridiculously immature jokes about a child near death and struggling to survive? Very much so.
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Korg
@difficlus said:
"i have a problem when people think Africa is just one country."
I never said this, nor did anyone else. 

@difficlus said:
" as for the second part...what? "
You're insinuating that it's prejudiced to use the phrase "troubles in Africa". It is not. They are numerous, and widespread, as you well know. The phrase " dire condition in Sub-Saharan Africa" is used in the article linked in the OP. Is that prejudiced? No. It is an accurate statement about social problems in that part of the world at that time.
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By difficlus
@Korg said:

@difficlus said:
" as for the second part...what? "
You're insinuating that it's prejudiced to use the phrase "troubles in Africa". It is not. They are numerous, and widespread, as you well know. The phrase " dire condition in Sub-Saharan Africa" is used in the article linked in the OP. Is that prejudiced? No. It is an accurate statement about social problems in that part of the world at that time. "
sorry i thought that you were implying that africa was one country, as for the rest i know but i feel it wouldn't be the same if someone said "troubles in Asia" for some reason...but i concede and get what you're trying to say. IF anything its not those countries fault they have problems but European powers and the IMF but we dont want to get into the history and that sutff...lol.
Avatar image for metatron_da_don
Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#63  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Carter
Kevin Carter (September 13, 1960 in Johannesburg – July 27, 1994) was an award-winning South African photojournalist and member of the Bang-Bang Club.    
Prize-winning photograph in Sudan: 
In March 1993 Carter made a trip to Sudan. The sound of soft, high-pitched whimpering near the village of Ayod attracted Carter to an emaciated Sudanese toddler. The girl had stopped to rest while struggling to a feeding center, whereupon a vulture had landed nearby. 

He said that he waited about 20 minutes, hoping that the vulture would spread its wings? It didn't. Carter snapped the haunting photograph and chased the vulture away.However, he came under criticism for just photographing — and not helping — the little girl:   
The photograph was then sold to The New York Times where it appeared for the first time on March 26, 1993. Practically overnight hundreds of people contacted the newspaper to ask whether the child had survived, leading the newspaper to run a special editor's note saying the girl had enough strength to walk away from the vulture, but that her ultimate fate was unknown.