#1  Edited By chantu
TheBatman586

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By TheBatman586

Why exactly did the photographer take the picture, and then do nothing to help the child? 

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By sexy_merc

I saw this before. Some dude did a project on something..I forgot what it was but I remember a couple of pics.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RedK
@TheBatman586:  theirs awhole thing about not interfering with a foreign culture and animals, their was some contraversy a few years back when so guys making a documentary saved a penguine that would have died if their was no humans around.
Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Precise

Ah yes, we talked about that picture in ethics class.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By danhimself

you obviously haven't seen the pictures of me alone at my high school prom

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@danhimself said:
" you obviously haven't seen the pictures of me alone at my high school prom "
hahaha
Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: 
lmao.
Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Martian

=,(   so sad.

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By difficlus

so the dude took the picture then drove away? damn him!! i hate when those journalists do that. they take pics of people on the verge of death or likewise, display it to the world then do nothing to actually help the people and they were just looking for a good story.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11  Edited By InnerVenom123

He committed suicide because he realized he could have saved the child. Clearly.

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By difficlus
@InnerVenom123 said:

" He committed suicide because he realized he could have saved the child. Clearly. "

maybe he should have done that (helped the child out instead)...there are some things in life once done will haunt people for the rest of their life
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Mercy_

Wrong on so many levels.

Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lance Uppercut

So... why didn't he save the child?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By danhimself
@difficlus said:
" so the dude took the picture then drove away? damn him!! i hate when those journalists do that. they take pics of people on the verge of death or likewise, display it to the world then do nothing to actually help the people and they were just looking for a good story. "
they actually do a lot to help those children just by taking the pictures....think how many people worldwide see pictures like that and are moved enough to send money and clothes to those countries
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Photographer killed himself? Good. Jackhole should have helped the poor kid. If you can take a photo, you can give a kid a sandwich,.

LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By LightBright

I'm gonna throw this back at people another way: 

Instead of blaming the guy who took the picture for not doing anything, why not examine the world we live in for a good long minute. Not to be preachy or self-righteous, but he's not responsible for the child's state of being. The world walked away from that kid a long time before the photographer did...

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By InnerVenom123
@LightBright said:
" I'm gonna throw this back at people another way:  Instead of blaming the guy who took the picture for not doing anything, why not examine the world we live in for a good long minute. Not to be preachy or self-righteous, but he's not responsible for the child's state of being. The world walked away from that kid a long time before the photographer did... "
And that justifies him letting the child die? Riiiiiiight....
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Mercy_
@LightBright: I agree with you on some level but are you saying that that excuses him from walking away from what was clearly a helpless person in dire need?
Avatar image for metatron_da_don
Metatron_Da_Don

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Metatron_Da_Don
@InnerVenom123 said:
" He committed suicide because he realized he could have saved the child. Clearly. "
I read  about this last month. He won some prestigious award and then...People found out he spent like over an hour setting up the right angle for the shot. 
He became an outcast when people found this out. and so he took his own life. I think his friend died too so all that pressure built up and he couldnt take it.

Suicide is never the answer.
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Korg
Hey, vultures have to eat too. 

People who are angry at the photographer: You are incredibly sheltered.
Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@LightBright: Sure he is. No, from a legal standpoint, he didn't have to do anything. But let's see you find someone on the side of the road, bleeding to death. Can you honestly tell me that you'r first reaction is going to be to walk away and do nothing? Quite frankly, the photographer had every opportunity to help that child. He didn't. And karma was a bitch for it. 
LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LightBright
@InnerVenom123: I'm not saying that that justifies his actions. But can you honestly say that in that situation you'd be able to act? It's easy to think that we could do something different, and I commend people for seeing the wrongness in this whole scenario, but it's a difficult situation. I'm sure the photographer feels terrible about leaving that child, but that shit is happening right now. Just because you see it happening and have someone to blame, that makes it worse? You can point the finger in any direction without knowing the full story.
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Korg

Seriously, would any of you even know how to nurse a dying child back to health? No one knows what happened to that kid anyway. It's just assumed that the child died with no proof.

Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@LightBright said:
" @InnerVenom123: I'm not saying that that justifies his actions. But can you honestly say that in that situation you'd be able to act? It's easy to think that we could do something different, and I commend people for seeing the wrongness in this whole scenario, but it's a difficult situation. I'm sure the photographer feels terrible about leaving that child, but that shit is happening right now. Just because you see it happening and have someone to blame, that makes it worse? You can point the finger in any direction without knowing the full story. "
This isn't some case of knowing the full story. He wasn't walking along some trail and just happened to see a random starving child. He obviously had to set up an angle for that. Which meant he left that child, whether dieing or dead there to be eaten by a god damn vulture. Maybe the kid was in shock. Maybe he was too late to be saved. Hell if I know. But the decent thing - and the thing people seem to forget to do - is help. 
Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LightBright: 
personally i like where your coming from. i feel like i don't have a right to point a finger on most things
like this for example because lets face it, what have i done to save any starving kids lately? It could
be that if he's guilty i'm just as guilty then.
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Korg

Everyone should consider the fact that this picture was taken in Sudan during a famine. There were literally hundreds of people starving to death all around this photographer. It's not like it was just the one kid. That is just the most poignant picture, which gained the most attention because of the strong feelings it evokes.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By danhimself
@LightBright said:
" @InnerVenom123: I'm not saying that that justifies his actions. But can you honestly say that in that situation you'd be able to act? It's easy to think that we could do something different, and I commend people for seeing the wrongness in this whole scenario, but it's a difficult situation. I'm sure the photographer feels terrible about leaving that child, but that shit is happening right now. Just because you see it happening and have someone to blame, that makes it worse? You can point the finger in any direction without knowing the full story. "
exactly...because everyone who's commented on this thread gives money to every homeless person they pass and has 6 "adopted" children from those tv commercials and always donate to charities....man there was tons of sarcasm in there
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Lance Uppercut said:
" @LightBright said:
This isn't some case of knowing the full story. He wasn't walking along some trail and just happened to see a random starving child. He obviously had to set up an angle for that. Which meant he left that child, whether dieing or dead there to be eaten by a god damn vulture. Maybe the kid was in shock. Maybe he was too late to be saved. Hell if I know. But the decent thing - and the thing people seem to forget to do - is help.  "
Not to mention the s.o.b exploited the kid's death to win a freaking Pulitzer. I'm not a humanitarian, but I don't pretend to be. The hypocrites who sit there and complain about the atrocities that go on are the same wankers who take these photos.
LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LightBright
@Lance Uppercut: I totally understand wanting to help people out, but there's an certain amount of tragedy people can deal with. I know that if I saw someone dead or dying that I would probably freak the hell out before I even tried to think about helping in any way. It all figures into how comfortable you are in a situation, in the most basic sense of the term. I'm a certified lifeguard and almost always get uncomfortable at the prospect of having the save someone. Just because you can act, doesn't me you can always find the strength to do so.  

@CATMANEXE: It's just like the people who go out to make documentaries about wildlife. Some things you want to do something about because you're there, but you have to consider the fact that these events have been taking place for a long time before you realise it. If anything I'm just glad the guy got the picture to show to people. At least he has folks thinking about this kind of stuff, and showing them that these things are happening around the world.
Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@FadeToBlackBolt: Unfortunately, photographers are voyeurs. They observe life rather then stepping in to it. Which got that kid killed. 
Darkseid Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Darkseid Elite

That's f%$king sick man. Dude should of helped the kid for Gods sake. He was crawling towards the damn food camp. He should of alerted the camp or helped the kid and thought of another idea for a picture. I know everyone is saying "oh well it's not his problem" but man that's another human being. If you were on the ground like that and you had a damn bird waiting behind you to eat you I think you'd want someone to help you out. That's f&%ked up real talk. Hopefully the kid made it and didn't die.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Lance Uppercut: Too true, too true.
Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@LightBright said:
" @Lance Uppercut: I totally understand wanting to help people out, but there's an certain amount of tragedy people can deal with. I know that if I saw someone dead or dying that I would probably freak the hell out before I even tried to think about helping in any way. It all figures into how comfortable you are in a situation, in the most basic sense of the term. I'm a certified lifeguard and almost always get uncomfortable at the prospect of having the save someone. Just because you can act, doesn't me you can always find the strength to do so.  

"
And y'know, that's fine. But once again, he was comfortable enough to set up the damn angle. And then walk away. I mean, was someone else there that I wasn't aware of? It's not like people were rushing in by the droves. It was one man that looked at this kid like a piece of meat to throw to the dogs for a prize. Okay. Maybe he made people aware of the situation. From that perspective, he could have made a massive media spectacle out of it by saving the kid. And y'know, actually be a hero. 
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Korg
@LightBright said:

"At least he has folks thinking about this kind of stuff, and showing them that these things are happening around the world. "

This is the point that so many people miss entirely. If he had saved the kid, it would be a picture of a different dying kid anyway. The point is that everyone was dying of hunger, and nothing was being done about it. One photographer doesn't shoulder the responsibility of rehabilitating an entire country. He shoulders the responsibility of showing people these unfortunate events, and the fact that no one is helping. The fact that he didn't help probably contributed to his death. The other thousands of people dying around him probably made some contributions as well.
LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LightBright
@Lance Uppercut said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt: Unfortunately, photographers are voyeurs. They observe life rather then stepping in to it. Which got that kid killed.  "
I don't think that's a totally fair statement. If his inaction caused that child's death, then what about the hundreds of other kids that died before while he wasn't there? He alters one life, saves one kid, great. But now you're looking that this picture and actually thinking about it and the kid and you actually have an emotional response to it. The photographer completed his task. He got you to think. Whether he had an ulterior motive or not, it doesn't matter. The fact that he's a photographer doesn't mean he can't step into life. Anyone could help any other human being right now, but we're all just being voyeurs at this point.
Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@LightBright said:
" @Lance Uppercut said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt: Unfortunately, photographers are voyeurs. They observe life rather then stepping in to it. Which got that kid killed.  "
I don't think that's a totally fair statement. If his inaction caused that child's death, then what about the hundreds of other kids that died before while he wasn't there? He alters one life, saves one kid, great. But now you're looking that this picture and actually thinking about it and the kid and you actually have an emotional response to it. The photographer completed his task. He got you to think. Whether he had an ulterior motive or not, it doesn't matter. The fact that he's a photographer doesn't mean he can't step into life. Anyone could help any other human being right now, but we're all just being voyeurs at this point. "
He didn't get me to think about anything. If I needed a photo to alert me to the troubles in Africa, then damn, I'm out of touch with the world. 
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Korg
@Lance Uppercut said:
" If I needed a photo to alert me to the troubles in Africa, then damn, I'm out of touch with the world.  "
This happened in 1994. How aware were you of events in Africa at that time?
Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@Korg: I was three. Please, try to lecture me based on my age. 
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Korg
@Lance Uppercut said:
" @Korg: I was three. Please, try to lecture me based on my age.  "
That's more or less my point, actually. You have grown up in an environment that was influenced by this picture. You are aware of troubles in Africa thanks to the efforts of people like this guy.
LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By LightBright
@Lance Uppercut: The fact that you're taking the time to argue about the ethics about the photo means you care enough to have an opinion. And there are people who don't care or just don't know about what's going on in the world around them. Maybe you weren't the intended audience for the photo, or maybe he was just doing it to win a prize. But the fact that there are people out their willing to shed some light on the truths in the world no matter what others may think of them is a good thing. I don't applaud what he did, and I don't think he had the greatest moral standing, but he did what he thought had to be done. No matter what the reason the photo he took has maybe helped some people. Maybe someone has thought about the picture and decided to make a difference. There's even a chance that another dying child, or maybe more, were saved by this picture, or at least people's reaction to it.
Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@Korg: That would have been valid, had this really been about starving children in Africa. What the hell makes the kid in Africa any different? 
Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Korg
@Lance Uppercut said:
" @Korg: That would have been valid, had this really been about starving children in Africa. What the hell makes the kid in Africa any different?  "
Sudan is in Africa... What are you talking about?
Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@Korg said:
" @Lance Uppercut said:
" @Korg: That would have been valid, had this really been about starving children in Africa. What the hell makes the kid in Africa any different?  "
Sudan is in Africa... What are you talking about? "
My point isn't based on starving children in Africa (yes, I know where Sudan is). He saw a helpless human being out starving alone. Whether it had been in Africa, or Europe, or the Middle East, or in your back yard, it really doesn't matter. He snapped a photo, went back to civilization, and won an award for being a douche bag. What circumstance did he have to not help? Was the vulture going to pounce on him?
Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@LightBright: Of course I care enough to have an opinion. If I didn't have an opinion, than I wouldn't have posted in the thread in the first place. Calling what he did "shedding light on the truth" is a far stretch. He walked away. He "shed light on the truth", stared "truth" in the face, then walked away from it. You keep on trying to justify it by saying that other children could have been saved by this picture. And? That doesn't make what he did any more acceptable. 
Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By Sparda

Concerning the moral quandaries of Mr. Carter, everyone, please shut the fuck up. Judging a deeply disturbed man why he didn't transport a most likely terminally malnutritioned girl after taking a photo (and after not only chasing away the vulture hounding her, but watching her for some time afterwards) is an impossible and futile task.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Korg
@Lance Uppercut said:

"He saw a helpless human being out starving alone. Whether it had been in Africa, or Europe, or the Middle East, or in your back yard, it really doesn't matter. He snapped a photo, went back to civilization, and won an award for being a douche bag. What circumstance did he have to not help? Was the vulture going to pounce on him? "

The circumstance was a famine. Everyone was starving to death. This child was not alone by any stretch of the imagination. There were people dying of starvation in every direction. Are you also pissed at the UN workers who ran a food center a kilometer away, instead of ten feet from where one particular child was dying?
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By difficlus
@danhimself said:
" @difficlus said:
" so the dude took the picture then drove away? damn him!! i hate when those journalists do that. they take pics of people on the verge of death or likewise, display it to the world then do nothing to actually help the people and they were just looking for a good story. "
they actually do a lot to help those children just by taking the pictures....think how many people worldwide see pictures like that and are moved enough to send money and clothes to those countries "
by the time help arrives the kid is probably already dead...come on im talking about on the very verge of death. i've heard of it happen that photographers do that...@LightBright said:
" I'm gonna throw this back at people another way:  Instead of blaming the guy who took the picture for not doing anything, why not examine the world we live in for a good long minute. Not to be preachy or self-righteous, but he's not responsible for the child's state of being. The world walked away from that kid a long time before the photographer did... "
true but it doesn't mean he should have left the kid there, life is cruel but we should all strive to make a difference in someones life.@Metatron_Da_Don said:
" @InnerVenom123 said:
I read  about this last month. He won some prestigious award and then...People found out he spent like over an hour setting up the right angle for the shot. 
He became an outcast when people found this out. and so he took his own life. I think his friend died too so all that pressure built up and he couldnt take it.

Suicide is never the answer. "
wow...interesting
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By difficlus
@Korg said:
" @Lance Uppercut said:
" If I needed a photo to alert me to the troubles in Africa, then damn, I'm out of touch with the world.  "
This happened in 1994. How aware were you of events in Africa at that time? "
in sudan not all of africa. i'm from nigeria and lived in south africa for 7 years before coming to jamaica and africa is not a country people! its a continent. most people aren't even aware of this. 
Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@Korg said:
" @Lance Uppercut said:

"He saw a helpless human being out starving alone. Whether it had been in Africa, or Europe, or the Middle East, or in your back yard, it really doesn't matter. He snapped a photo, went back to civilization, and won an award for being a douche bag. What circumstance did he have to not help? Was the vulture going to pounce on him? "

The circumstance was a famine. Everyone was starving to death. This child was not alone by any stretch of the imagination. There were people dying of starvation in every direction. Are you also pissed at the UN workers who ran a food center a kilometer away, instead of ten feet from where one particular child was dying? "
No. The UN workers didn't think to snap a photo and win a Pulitzer. Carter did.