#1 Posted by Asok (353 posts) - - Show Bio

How many of you humans can solve a Rubik's Cube?  I can. 

#2 Posted by castleking (24741 posts) - - Show Bio

so can i and anyone else who enjoys taking things apart and putting them back together

#3 Posted by Asok (353 posts) - - Show Bio
@castleking said:
so can i and anyone else who enjoys taking things apart and putting them back together
I assumed that most people would infer that I mean solving it without cheating.
#4 Posted by castleking (24741 posts) - - Show Bio

I adapted and overcame.

#5 Posted by PowerHerc (86188 posts) - - Show Bio

Not me.

#6 Posted by cyberninja (10669 posts) - - Show Bio

I can............that's it? Well that was easy. 

#7 Posted by Darkseid Elite (8442 posts) - - Show Bio

Not me. I got a whole side a solid color once and I was fine with that lol
Avatar image for greenlantern555
#8 Posted by GreenLantern555 (2264 posts) - - Show Bio

I can make an x. It's all luck, but I can get there.

#9 Posted by Wilkiins17 (510 posts) - - Show Bio

I might

#10 Posted by Aka_aka_aka_ak (3211 posts) - - Show Bio

I can blindfolded

#11 Posted by Buckwheat (2418 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by ourmanuel (12318 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by BullPR (6062 posts) - - Show Bio

I can.

Two of my kids can too.

Did also the 4×4 and the 5×5.

Best score around 1 minute.

I don't have the training and/or technic to do it very fast (30'' or less).

#14 Posted by Aka_aka_aka_ak (3211 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6631 posts) - - Show Bio

I can look at an unsolved cube and see every move in my mind. I can tell you how many turns it will take to solve it.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#16 Posted by IndomitableRegal (16629 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

#17 Edited by Buckwheat (2418 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Aka_aka_aka_ak (3211 posts) - - Show Bio
@aka_aka_aka_ak said:
@buckwheat said:

@aka_aka_aka_ak: hahaha

No

hahaha no what?

Hahaha no. You can't solve the Rubik cube blindfolded.

Why are you trying to tell me what I can or cannot do when I know and you don't? I can solve blindfolded, it's not that hard. I average sub 15 seconds on a 3x3 normally, I have been cubing for almost a decade. It has been one of my biggest hobbies. So don't try and tell me about myself.

#20 Posted by Streak619 (8057 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to average 30 seconds, now I'm probably in the 40s with how rusty I've become, gotta get into shape.

#21 Posted by Buckwheat (2418 posts) - - Show Bio

@aka_aka_aka_ak: Really? Then I'm honestly impressed. I thought you where joking.

It's clear that I underestimated you. My apologies.

I can do the cube myself, but I can't go under 2 minutes, since for the last layer I still use one type of beginers solve. And of course I do it with my eyes wide open.

In fact I thought that the blind solve was a mith, or something that people did after studying the cube for days. Is that the case? Or are you able to look at a cube just for a bit and then solve it blindfolded?

Genuine question: How can you memorize so many moves in advance? I find amazing that you can you predict where each color color will be after a certain ammount of moves.

#22 Edited by Aka_aka_aka_ak (3211 posts) - - Show Bio

@buckwheat said:

@aka_aka_aka_ak: Really? Then I'm honestly impressed. I thought you where joking.

It's clear that I underestimated you. My apologies.

I can do the cube myself, but I can't go under 2 minutes, since for the last layer I still use one type of beginers solve. And of course I do it with my eyes wide open.

In fact I thought that the blind solve was a mith, or something that people did after studying the cube for days. Is that the case? Or are you able to look at a cube just for a bit and then solve it blindfolded?

Genuine question: How can you memorize so many moves in advance? I find amazing that you can you predict where each color color will be after a certain ammount of moves.

Ah thanks for the nice, civil response. It's rare on this site/the internet as a whole, so I was naturally defensive and perhaps unnecessarily hostile.

It's not as hard as you might think, people think you memorise the entire cube and then solve via the normal method but it actually uses a different method altogether. Basically you solve the corner pieces first, then the edges. You essentially have a 'buffer' that you swap the corners with one-by-one in a cycle.

For example, if I wanted to arrange

4 5 2 3 1

is ascending order

I pick the first place as my 'buffer' (currently occupied by 4) and swap one-by-one, always getting the number currently in the buffer into it's correct spot, so with the above I would first want to get 4 into the right spot, since that's currently in the buffer, so I swap with 3

3 5 2 4 1

next I want to get 3 into the right spot, so I swap with 2, I keep going like this

2 5 3 4 1

5 2 3 4 1

1 2 3 4 5

So to arrange 4 5 2 3 1 into 1 2 3 4 5 I only had to remember 4,3,2,5

Now apply that to a cube, there are 8 corners, 12 edges, you label the pieces of the cube with letters, so I only have to remember a sequence of up to 20 letters. Which already sounds a lot easier than trying to remember the whole cube. Letters are easier to memorise than numbers too, since they start to form familiar sounds and small words, which again shortens what you have to memorise. It's called the old Pochmann method if you're interested.

#23 Posted by ArranVid (2669 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdf3f8063c8e
#24 Posted by deactivated-5cdf3f8063c8e (24 posts) - - Show Bio

I've bought a few over the years and I've never solved one.

#25 Posted by JohnCena69swag (4044 posts) - - Show Bio

I solved a 5x5 cube with a blindfold on and both hands tied behind my back in under 30 seconds.

#26 Posted by loyngulpany (2824 posts) - - Show Bio

I can solve a 3x3 Rubik's Cube and that's all I can do. I can't solve any Rubik's Cube other than 3x3