This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Saren (27933 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided

So there's a thread on the Off-Topic forum, I'm sure many of you have seen it, that does a little bait-and-switch with the fact that my username is the name of a villain in the Mass Effect series. Via this terribly clever bait-and-switch, certain users with a variety of grievances were able to vent their feelings about how irritating a confrontation with this villain is. The joke is that they mean a confrontation with me is irritating! Get it? I told you it was clever, right? But shhh, don't tell anyone. We're legitimately talking about that video-game villain.

Many people asked me, on threads and through PM's, why I never responded to that thread or acknowledged its existence in any way. The answer is simple: I didn't care. And the reason I didn't care is because the Geists, by and large, are a bunch of kids who formed a silly little internet clique with pretensions beyond their reality. That's all they are, and that's all they've ever been. Some of them know this, some of them have yet to realize it, and many users who aren't Geists don't realize it either when they're complaining about the Geists "turning the board into a warzone" or making other similarly hyperbolic claims. They're just not worth the attention. That thread was created because one of the Geists was upset about me locking threads that were utterly pointless and stupid beyond any description human words should have been crafted for. I was content to let someone have their poor reaction in whatever corner they chose to carve out. It didn't affect me in the least, even if they thought it was the giggliest thing since Gigli.

But what surprised me is how rapidly the rumor spread that I was "a sworn enemy" of the Geists, that I made biased decisions purely off that suffix alone, and that I possessed some sort of "hatred" of the Geists. I received a PM from one of the Geists where I was described as a "brute" and a "power hungry monster", and that I was "always hating on the Geists". A day or so ago, the "official Geist wiki" made a special entry on their Enemies page (I wish I was making this stuff up, I really do) where this flattering description was attached to me:

Saren

Threat Level: Extreme. Approach with caution.

Details: Saren may not be in league with the other enemies, but he is far more dangerous than all of them put together. He overpowers all the Geists and has the ability to stop all the Geists if he pleases. The only way to avoid his wrath is to play it safe and outsmart him. He is most likely the biggest obstacle in the way for the invasion.

If you're wondering what my reaction was, I can tell you it was very cool to feel like a GI Joe character for a few seconds. But then the moment passed, and I decided I should probably clear the air ---- bias and hate suggest some sort of active sentiment against the Geists, and that just hasn't been me. I've generally just dismissed their nonsense, and for the most part it is just nonsense, but sometimes it is more malevolent (alarmingly so in a few cases), and some users have criticized the mods for not being more concerned about those cases and what they could turn into in the future. They're right.

The mods don't just arbitrarily punish people. It's fun to think so, but we don't. We've locked many Geist-related-or-created threads for being either flat out pointless, or breeding grounds for hostility. We've warned some Geists for language and insults. I've given some of those warnings. Most notably, I once temp-banned a somewhat prominent Geist user for repeatedly insulting other users despite warnings from both me and GS to stop, and when that Geist came back and became embroiled in a situation where a user complained he was harassing her through PM's, pictures and alt accounts, I warned him that I would ban him and all his alts permanently the next time he broke the rules and just disregarded another user's right to a comfortable experience on the Vine. Beyond what's warranted, I haven't engaged in any kind of punitive action against the Geists, and I'm confident that no other mod has done so either. We don't care if some poll says a person or group is the most popular thing on ComicVine; they still have to follow the rules like everyone else. Expecting people to follow the rules does not constitute hating.

The mods who moderate the forums on a daily basis are tired of the constant Geist-related conflicts. These threads do not contribute anything to the Vine, and they have long since settled into the role of a recurring nuisance more than anything else. This does notjust go for the Geists ---- there are other users on the Off-Topic forum who have taken it upon themselves to be "the Anti-Geists" or whatever, and we frequently encounter flags from threads where these users have been the instigators of conflicts with the Geists. You're all on notice. This isn't going to stand much longer. Off-Topic is an ugly place at the best of times, what with the abortion/homosexuality/religion/race threads; we don't need more of the same. So there will be no more Geist-topic threads. No more "Who else doesn't like the Geists?", no more "Geist Invasion 3.0: The Geistening", no more "Are the Geists good or bad for Off-Topic?"; these threads are not allowed anymore. Nothing good has ever come from them, beyond headaches for us and discomfort and hostility for regular users and Geists alike. They don't lead to any kind of meaningful discussions, or fun ones, or anything else. They just don't, period.

Geists and Anti-Geists alike are still free to make any other kind of thread, provided it's not some pointless 2-second pun. If anyone thinks any part of this is punitive, our only response is that it's well-earned. You don't get to poke and prod someone until they're irritated enough and then complain when they react in a less-than-welcoming manner. If the general tone of this message has suggested we're rapidly losing patience with this situation, then bingo, you got it in one try.

#2 Edited by Jokergeist (4714 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to thank my pal Saren for finally taking the much-need action to appeal to the Geists' interests.

As you all must surely realize, this new "rule" does not directly affect the Geists themselves in the slightest. The new rule in its entirety (75% of its entirety that is) applies only to haters of the Geists due to those individuals being responsible for the problematic "Geist-topic threads" in discussion.

So there will be no more Geist-topic threads. No more "Who else doesn't like the Geists?", no more "Geist Invasion 3.0: The Geistening", no more "Are the Geists good or bad for Off-Topic?"; these threads are not allowed anymore.

Great! Saren has fortunately stripped this privilege away from the people responsible— namely @RogueShadow for this thread, @NickZambuto for this thread, @RedHooder for this thread, @EpicTayMan for this thread, @YoungJustice for this thread, @RulerOfThisUniverse for this thread, and many many other people who are responsible for Geist-topic threads. People like them are what provoked Saren to assist The Geists in stopping their stands against us.

#3 Posted by Saren (27933 posts) - - Show Bio

Response suggests discussion. This is just a notice.

#4 Edited by Jokergeist (4714 posts) - - Show Bio

I love you too sweetheart.

#5 Posted by Billy Batson (60805 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren said:

Then just lock and pin it. -_-

BB

#6 Posted by Saren (27933 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren said:

Then just lock and pin it. -_-

BB

I'm not adding a ninth pin to OT, and this thread will be locked after a week or so. Until then, users can ask what the rule comprises.

#7 Posted by Raiiyn (3682 posts) - - Show Bio

It's actually really great to see someone with a clear head on the subject.

The anti-geist movement is just as annoying as the pointless geist threads.

Thanks @saren for putting an end to all ends of it!

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
#8 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6518 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by judasnixon (12663 posts) - - Show Bio

Thank you.....

No Caption Provided
#10 Edited by JakeN7 (15180 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren: Taking away Mediocre's "corner to cry in," eh? Finally! That thread ran its course ages ago.

As long as it's not a "2 second pun." Heh. If anyone wants to know what he's talking about, look up "naked pictures thread," it's literally the most retarded thread I've ever seen. It's what instigated Mediocre's antagonistic nature towards CitizenSaren. Mediocre's BS just made ripples across the Vine. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the Geist dog house now.

#11 Posted by wildvine (14882 posts) - - Show Bio

The joke has kinda run its course.

#12 Edited by SaintWildcard (21710 posts) - - Show Bio
This doesn't affect me so whatever
This doesn't affect me so whatever

#13 Edited by Frozen (21116 posts) - - Show Bio

@saren: The geists want anarchy. They're just kids who want to play...I say ban them if they continue their garbage.

In all seriousness, thanks for locking them.

#14 Edited by JakeN7 (15180 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: YOUR thread?Please, the geists (more specifically Mediocregeist) did this to themselves. You anti-geists had nothing to do with it. Period.

Lol

EDIT: Nevermind, you just changed it from "my thread" to "the thread." Carry on then...

#15 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6518 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: Is this not in response to someone tagging Saren to the Geist Wiki thread? I mean, I know this is about all the pointless threads they made in the past, but he talks about the Wiki in here and it came out, like, half an hour after it got locked. Maybe there was some other recent incident, though. idk

#16 Edited by JakeN7 (15180 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: No, read the OP more carefully, and then read my first post.

Letting him know about that wiki is probably one of the last straws, but it isn't anywhere close to the underlying issue, or the initial instigation.

#17 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6518 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7: I know, and agree with you. It's not like the Wiki was the entire reason this happened.

#18 Posted by russellmania77 (17601 posts) - - Show Bio

Love it :)

#19 Posted by JakeN7 (15180 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Edited by Nerd Of A Hero (1162 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
#22 Posted by The_Deathstroker (8094 posts) - - Show Bio

TBH.... This doesn't really affect me. I haven't made a single troll/Geist related thread yet. ^_^

*pats self on back*

We should be friends.

Yeah, we should ;-)

*walks into the sunset with self*

Avatar image for allstarsuperman1
#23 Edited by AllStarHit-Girl (697 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for twix_right_side
#24 Edited by Twix_Right_Side (2406 posts) - - Show Bio

To every Geist and Anti-Geist

#25 Posted by The_Deathstroker (8094 posts) - - Show Bio

@twix_right_side: You haven't even been here long enough to understand what's going on......

#26 Posted by Twix_Right_Side (2406 posts) - - Show Bio

@twix_right_side: You haven't even been here long enough to understand what's going on......

1. It's a joke,man :)

I am not even sure if it applies to you,anyway.

2. I've seen both of the threads that was mentioned. I mean,I haven't exactly been here for years,but again,it's just a picture. It's not like I said,"I'm sick of those geists" or something like that.

But just because I don't have a high post count,that makes my say in this invalid?

#27 Posted by The_Deathstroker (8094 posts) - - Show Bio

@twix_right_side:

No, it doesn't make what you say invalid.

I checked the date of your joining, you've been here for three weeks, I don't think that's long enough to make an opinion. I never said your post count makes what you said invalid, Ive seen people that have been here for 3 years and still have a post count in the 100s, that doesn't make what they say invalid.

Anyway, let's not derail the thread.

#28 Posted by Twix_Right_Side (2406 posts) - - Show Bio

@twix_right_side:

No, it doesn't make what you say invalid.

I checked the date of your joining, you've been here for three weeks, I don't think that's long enough to make an opinion. I never said your post count makes what you said invalid, Ive seen people that have been here for 3 years and still have a post count in the 100s, that doesn't make what they say invalid.

Anyway, let's not derail the thread.

And why not,exactly? Just asking......

You say that as if I don't know the general opinion of what people think of The Geists,or that I haven't seen the threads that were mentioned.

#29 Posted by The_Deathstroker (8094 posts) - - Show Bio

@twix_right_side:

Because you haven't been here long enough to see the different conflicts and activites, you haven't been here long enough to experience the threads firsthand, and you haven't been here long enough to develop a cemented stance on the Geists as you haven't had enough time to meet EVERY SINGLE one of them. It's nothing against you, it's nothing personal, but it's just impossible for you to make have an opinion as you haven't been here long enough to develop one.

Again though, let's not derail this thread anymore than it has been.

#30 Posted by Frozen (21116 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathstrokergeist: It doesn't matter when he joined. It only takes a new user to see geist threads in the OT section.

#31 Posted by Yokergeist (12483 posts) - - Show Bio

And now comic vine will be even more inactive.

#32 Posted by The_Deathstroker (8094 posts) - - Show Bio

@frozen: No, it doesn't. A lot of users who dislike the Geist threads actually think some of the actual Geists are pretty cool, so just seeing threads shouldn't build their opinion, meeting the actual people should.

On another note, we need to stop talking about this. The thread is completely derailed.

#33 Edited by Mediocregeist (727 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#34 Edited by Twix_Right_Side (2406 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathstrokergeist said:

@twix_right_side:

Because you haven't been here long enough to see the different conflicts and activites, you haven't been here long enough to experience the threads firsthand, and you haven't been here long enough to develop a cemented stance on the Geists as you haven't had enough time to meet EVERY SINGLE one of them. It's nothing against you, it's nothing personal, but it's just impossible for you to make have an opinion as you haven't been here long enough to develop one.

Again though, let's not derail this thread anymore than it has been.

Would you like to continue this in a PM?

Again,all of that is COMPLETELY irrelevant because I didn't form an opinion on the geists or anyone related to them. I've seen the threads talked about,but I haven't made a single opinion on them.

So....why must I see the conflicts and such just to post a meme that doesn't even lend an opinion towards anyone (whether they be a group or an individual) in particular?

Do I have to interview everyone firsthand in order to understand Comicvine's consensus on the Giests,and why that is the case?

#35 Posted by The_Deathstroker (8094 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I wouldn't.

This shows there is no point to continue this discussion "Again,all of that is COMPLETELY irrelevant because I didn't form an opinion on the geists or anyone related to them."

That's it. No opinion= No point in discussing this further.

Now this thread can get back on topic.

#36 Posted by Twix_Right_Side (2406 posts) - - Show Bio

No, I wouldn't.

This shows there is no point to continue this discussion "Again,all of that is COMPLETELY irrelevant because I didn't form an opinion on the geists or anyone related to them."

That's it. No opinion= No point in discussing this further.

Now this thread can get back on topic.

So.....why did you start this with:

??

What was the point of all of that?

#37 Posted by The_Deathstroker (8094 posts) - - Show Bio

@twix_right_side:

*sigh*

When you say "Thoust has been served to every Geist and Anti Geist" it sounds like you have an opinion against them all. Now that I know you have no opinion, there's no point in discussing this.

#38 Edited by Twix_Right_Side (2406 posts) - - Show Bio

@twix_right_side:

*sigh*

When you say "Thoust has been served to every Geist and Anti Geist" it sounds like you have an opinion against them all. Now that I know you have no opinion, there's no point in discussing this.

Okay.

#39 Edited by The_Deathstroker (8094 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by Twix_Right_Side (2406 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by The_Deathstroker (8094 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Edited by Jokerpoker (3144 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally.

Avatar image for king_of_the_anonymous
#43 Posted by King_of_the_Anonymous (83 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats unfortunate, I was just getting to know them.

#44 Posted by Mediocregeist (727 posts) - - Show Bio

@jokerpoker: Haha, you're one of the problems here JP.

there are other users on the Off-Topic forum who have taken it upon themselves to be "the Anti-Geists" or whatever, and we frequently encounter flags from threads where these users have been the instigators of conflicts with the Geists. You're all on notice. This isn't going to stand much longer.

#45 Posted by Pokergeist (23177 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for SuperStar_sketcher
#46 Posted by SuperStar_sketcher (1697 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like I still have time...does ask me(geist) threads count?

#47 Edited by Jokerpoker (3144 posts) - - Show Bio

@donnergeist: probably not, since everyone else is able to make Ask Me Threads. But other Geist threads count.

#48 Posted by The_Deathstroker (8094 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Edited by Jokerpoker (3144 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathstrokergeist: WHAT? Really? God, I really didn't see that! Please, I must be getting old. Do you mind telling me that someone tells me every time someone talks to me?

#50 Posted by Jokerpoker (3144 posts) - - Show Bio

@mediocregeist: Is it true that you said something to me, or is DSG just pulling my leg?