Guy Pearce - Peter Weyland

Logan Marshal-Green - Charlie Holloway

Sean Harris - Fifield

Rafe Spall - Millburn

Emun Elliott - Chance

Benedict Wong - Ravel

Kate Dickie - Ford

WARNING!

If you want to read a spoiler-free review, visit fellow blogger Gregg's review on the movie here. My review will contain spoilers so if you want to see it yourself first, come back to my review later.

No Caption Provided

I actually found this movie to be extremely engaging and fun the entire time. I have heard some say they got bored in between the blood letting. I have also hear some say that it had too much buildup before things started getting scary. I disagree with this. I found it all to be wonderfully constructed development. I personally loved how the movie did not give us all the answers as well, which happens to be one of the biggest complaints of the film. But provided it gets the sequel it is aiming for, these things will be revealed. The movie was over 2 hours long and I left the theater wishing it was 3 hours long. The complaints I have been hearing have been almost exclusively from fans of the Alien franchise. I personally was never a hardcore fan of the franchise, far too scary for me when I was a tot. But I did watch the films a few years ago and found the first two enjoyable. That said, I barely remember the films so I went into this movie with the thought that it was connected to another film that I do not really remember and I had slightly high expectations. Those expectations were exceeded and then some.

No Caption Provided

I loved the pacing of the movie. The cinematography was amazing. It was some of the best CGI I have seen and it was seamless with the rest of the movie. The locations selected for the movie were gorgeous and memorable, the movie had a rock star casting and almost everyone performed phenomenally. This movie does tie into the Alien movie. It explains the "space jockey" we see in the 1979 film. But one thing people need to understand is that the Alien film and the Prometheus film take place on 2 different places. Prometheus takes place on the moon LV-223 while the Alien movie starts out on planetoid LV-426. They are not directly connected in the sense that one leads into the other. Prometheus predated the events of Alien by about 30 years.

No Caption Provided

Some of the things I want to talk about are the questions and theories I have about the movie.

1. Did the Engineers create the xenomorph species as a means to cleans an experiment or as a superior experiment to humanity?
  2. Was the Engineer at the end of the film infected by the xenomorph parasite? Because his armor was not a suit like it was with the other Engineers we see throughout the film. It was clearly part of his body.
  3. Why did they want to destroy humanity just 2,000 years ago when there is evidence of their involvement with humanity as far back as 35,000 years ago as well as implied scenes that they seeded Earth with all of its life?
  4. Why did the Engineer at the end of the movie kill his fellow Engineers in the holo-recordings?
  5. Why did the Engineer at the end not kill humanity 2,000 years ago and instead went into stasis?
  6. Why did the rest of the species not carry out the mission of destroying humanity when they had no word from their military lab that the mission was or was not a success?
  7. Did the Engineers seed other planets? Is that why there were thousands of vials of the xenoparasite?

These are just some of the questions that I would like to have answered. I believe they will be answered in the sequel, assuming it happens but as of right now, they are fun to think over and try to come up with my own explanations.

No Caption Provided

Overall I was extremely satisfied with the movie. I will give this movie a 4.8/5. It is well worth your money. As a matter of a fact, I want to see it again and that almost never happens with me and the theater experience outside of maybe Avengers. Some said it lacked the suspense of the Alien film but so what? It is not the same movie. It breaks new ground in the franchise and does not even deal with the xenomorph that we see in the first Alien movie. The only reason this movie was not just flat out perfect was because the campy "Let's go get that alien bastard American style!" type scene at the end when Janek and his pilots decide to crash into the Engineer's ship with to the tune of some adventurous music. It seemed a little overdone to me but it in no way ruined the movie for me.

No Caption Provided

Be sure to check out the review on my blog here as well as all my other blogs and reviews.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Inverno

I think the worst moment in the movie everyone can agree on is when Millburn approach that hissing cobra creature and tries to pet it. Seconds after it hissed a t him in very hostile way. And he is a biologist of all things! This gets him and his friend killed. I was like "Millburn Y U NO left that thing alone? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ."

Nice review. Finally one with spoilers so we can discuss the movie better.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Erik

@CaioTrubat said:

I think the worst moment in the movie everyone can agree on is when Millburn approach that hissing cobra creature and tries to pet it. Seconds after it hissed a t him in very hostile way. And he is a biologist of all things! This gets him and his friend killed. I was like "Millburn Y U NO left that thing alone? ლ(ಠ益ಠლ."

Nice review. Finally one with spoilers so we can discuss the movie better.

LOL I was thinking the same thing but maybe when you are a biologist and you just discovered an alien life form, you get a severe case of the stupids. :p

Yeah I figured since K4tz did the spoiler-free review, I would take on the one where everything can be discussed. What do you think about my questions?

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Inverno

@Erik: I had some of the same questions too "Why did they create mankind and decide to destroy it later? Why didn't do it sooner while were caveman?" You posits some really interesting ones such as "did they created the xenomorphs as some superior lifeform or weapon against mankind?" Most likely... maybe its a Engineer plan and the others didn't agree on him and he had to kill them all. Eer so many questions, its really frustrating we had to wait a sequel to get the answers if it ever gets made.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By nickthedevil

Uhm, i'm not sure, so don't quote me, but I recall most of the questions dealing with the Engineers being answered in the dark horse Alien comics...

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

@nickthedevil said:

Uhm, i'm not sure, so don't quote me, but I recall most of the questions dealing with the Engineers being answered in the dark horse Alien comics...

Non-canon as far as this movie is concerned, I think.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Erik

@nickthedevil said:

I have not read the comics. Were they movie prequel comics? Or were they just issues that came out ages ago? Because as I understand it, Scott is only considering Alien and Aliens to be canon to his Prometheus.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nickthedevil

This is true. But I think some of the comics were directly linked to the First Ridley Scott Movie. So if this Prometheus is canon to the first, then maybe the comics are good answers. If not, oh well, it was a damn good movie. LOL

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nickthedevil

Ask Nick_hero22. We actually had a discussion about this though.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Erik

@nickthedevil said:

This is true. But I think some of the comics were directly linked to the First Ridley Scott Movie. So if this Prometheus is canon to the first, then maybe the comics are good answers. If not, oh well, it was a damn good movie. LOL

Lol well I think that if the comics came out were directly linked to Alien, then they share that movie's continuity but that does not necessarily mean that the movie shared the comic's continuity. At least for now, I am just going to assume the first 2 Alien movies are canon to Prometheus.

All the other stuff I view as soft-canon.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nickthedevil

Yeah, that sounds about right. I should follow your lead on perspectives.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Erik

@nickthedevil said:

Yeah, that sounds about right. I should follow your lead on perspectives.

Everyone should follow my lead on everything.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By The_Ghostshell

Was alright. I really hate the cliche of running in a straight line while something falling down on you though. If Vick had ran "half" the distance sideways instead of straight ahead she would have been fine. So hot yet so damn dumb.

nick_hero22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nick_hero22

I want to see this movie so bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Inverno

@Gambler: Same thing. I think its alright too but like what I said above I hate the "don't touch it you idiot" cliche or when the one scientist removed his helmet because without considering the bacteria in the air.

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By cyberninja

This movie is probably the best movie I have seen in a long time. Two thumbs up. 

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@CaioTrubat said:

@Gambler: Same thing. I think its alright too but like what I said above I hate the "don't touch it you idiot" cliche or when the one scientist removed his helmet because without considering the bacteria in the air.

Right? Are you kidding me? It hisses, it hooded up like a damn cobra, its alien. Yeah, lets pet it like a house cat. Whats the worse that could happen?

About the removing the helmet, I dont believe thats why he got sick. That android thing did it when he touched whatever that was in the vile, then went and handled that dudes glass with the same hand. Thats what I got anyway. They all took their helmets off but only he got sick.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Erik

@Gambler said:

@CaioTrubat said:

Right? Are you kidding me? It hisses, it hooded up like a damn cobra, its alien. Yeah, lets pet it like a house cat. Whats the worse that could happen?

About the removing the helmet, I dont believe thats why he got sick. That android thing did it when he touched whatever that was in the vile, then went and handled that dudes glass with the same hand. Thats what I got anyway. They all took their helmets off but only he got sick.

Yeah it was very clear that David intentionally infected Holloway with the xenoparasite. That was why he put his finger in the drinking glass.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Erik

@Gambler said:

Was alright. I really hate the cliche of running in a straight line while something falling down on you though. If Vick had ran "half" the distance sideways instead of straight ahead she would have been fine. So hot yet so damn dumb.

She is too hot to die so I am just telling myself that she was laying on a cushiony patch of dirt/memory foam.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I wasn't able to see it again last night. I'm hoping to tomorrow night. After that I'll weigh in on the questions.

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Ghostshell

@Erik said:

@Gambler said:

She is too hot to die so I am just telling myself that she was laying on a cushiony patch of dirt/memory foam.

Like comics, no body, no death.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Erik

@Gambler said:

Like comics, no body, no death.

Exactly!

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Inverno

I just noticed something the Engineer is played by Gregor Clegane LOL.

I watched the Spoony One's review and so far its the most brutally negative one I've seen of this movie. I recommend to watch it just to see a different perspective and because he brings some important points.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Erik

@CaioTrubat:

Yikes! I am not sure I want to watch a review that pans the film, even for the interesting points. I just do not see how anyone that is without bias can hate the film.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Inverno

@Erik: Yes, I don't usually agree with the Spoony One either because he has a narrow taste and nitpicky toward well everything. He let his bias affect his reviews sometimes (like Avatar, Tron: Legacy or Transformers). Just suggestion though, I don't think we want to see a guy rip apart the movie we love :-P besides its really long ass video.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Erik

@CaioTrubat:

LOL.

BlackPookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By BlackPookie

u saw it already??? lucky!!!!

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mooty_Pass

wow I need to see this I love alien

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Erik

@BlackPookie said:

u saw it already??? lucky!!!!

Lol well it came out a few days ago. It is not like I got early access like k4tz.

@stormphoenix said:

wow I need to see this I love alien

Be warned, it is not as suspenseful as Alien. I think it is more sci-fi than sci-fi/thriller. But that works for me.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By ReVamp

Ah, I was going to make one of these when I saw it. :(

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Erik

@ReVamp said:

I am pretty sure you can still make your own blog post.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ReVamp

@Erik said:

@ReVamp said:

I know, of course, lol. But chances are I'll just end up posting my 2 cents here instead and joining the convo.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Erik

@ReVamp said:

@Erik said:

@ReVamp said:

I know, of course, lol. But chances are I'll just end up posting my 2 cents here instead and joining the convo.

Give me your change then!

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ReVamp

@Erik said:

@ReVamp said:

@Erik said:

@ReVamp said:

Give me your change then!

I wasn't clear. By "when I saw it" I mean when I go to see it, lol. But I will. I'll make sure to bump this thread from death.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Nice work sir.

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheWitchingHour

Great review Erik. I agree with pretty much the entire thing. I also share the sentiment that it's nice not to have all the questions answered because after all the first film Alien was more questions than answers as well.

There were a couple of things that bugged me but overall a great movie. 4.8/5 seems like a very appropriate score.

As for the questions

1) I believe that the xenomorphs were designed as a biological weapon. Ridley Scott sort of defines what is cannon and what isn't by hearsay. Rather than explicitly stating that was the intention he has people like Janek guess as to the intention of LV-223 (which if I recall correctly was assumed to be a military testing facility by the Captain)

2) Yes I do think he was infected by the parasite. As were the rest of the engineers on LV-223. That's probably also why we saw the decapitated head explode when it the nervous system was stimulated with electricity. What makes you say the suit was part of his body?

3) The engineers were supposed to be considered creators in the film. Not benevolent or malevolent ones, but instead indifferent tinkerers. Maybe the ultimate lesson is that they just didn't care about halting the cycle of birth and destruction? The did it too themselves in the waterfall scene at the beginning of the movie. Maybe they were planning on doing it to humanity all along.

Or alternatively maybe they wanted to been seen as almighty creators and that's why their image appeared in so many ancient cultures. Maybe the 2,000 year marker was a reference to the waning of polytheism and the dawn of monotheism (Judeo-Christian-Islamic religion taking over) If they were no longer worshiped perhaps they no longer cared whether we lived or died. Those are both guesses.

4) I believe the surviving engineer killed the others because they were all infected with the xenomorph parasite and he wanted to contain the outbreak.

5) The engineers were incredibly resilient and biologically superior beings. Perhaps the survivor believed that if he was put in stasis long enough he could purge the parasite from his system much in the same way Shaw used the medlab to have an emergency C-section?

6) No idea. If there is a sequel to Prometheus I'm sure Shaw's travels to the Engineer homeworld will answer or hint at an answer to that question.

7) I think so. The Engineers suicide at the beginning of the movie seemed very ritualistic. Perhaps it was part of their own religion. I wouldn't be surprised if they seeded other planets and used the Xenomorphs to then kill that life.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Erik

@TheWitchingHour:

1. According to what I have seen online, there are claims that the script stated that it was a military lab. Which begs the question why the Engineers would give directions to a military lab in the first place.
  2. I was just unclear in my question. The suit was not part of the engineer's body (because he was not wearing one) but he did have some kind of bio-armor that was part of his body. This bio-armor was nothing like the jockey suits in appearance and his blended into the flesh of his body on the hands and neck.
  3. Those are good guesses. They would explain the reason why repeated attempts to cleanse the Earth were not made.
  4. If the engineer wanted to contain the outbreak, would he not also need to kill himself? It seemed pretty clear to me that he at least was not normal due to his physical appearance I mentioned above.
  5. Ah forget number 4, you provided a guess that would satisfy that one.
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheWitchingHour

@Erik said:

@TheWitchingHour:

1. According to what I have seen online, there are claims that the script stated that it was a military lab. Which begs the question why the Engineers would give directions to a military lab in the first place.
  2. I was just unclear in my question. The suit was not part of the engineer's body (because he was not wearing one) but he did have some kind of bio-armor that was part of his body. This bio-armor was nothing like the jockey suits in appearance and his blended into the flesh of his body on the hands and neck.
  3. Those are good guesses. They would explain the reason why repeated attempts to cleanse the Earth were not made.
  4. If the engineer wanted to contain the outbreak, would he not also need to kill himself? It seemed pretty clear to me that he at least was not normal due to his physical appearance I mentioned above.
  5. Ah forget number 4, you provided a guess that would satisfy that one.

That's a tricky one. My best guess would be that he was similar to Weyland in that regard. Willing to sacrifice others to hold onto his immortality.

And I'm not sure why the Engineers would give an invitation to a military instillation. Maybe it was supposed to be a trap all along?

Nox_Arc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Nox_Arc

Hmm. Excellent review, both you and k4tz seem to be leaning towards the more positive end when regarding this film. I've been hearing a lot of negativity towards it lately. Regardless, very informative review (skipped over the spoilers) and I'll definitely be watching it.

TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheWitchingHour

I highly recommend seeing the movie twice. Ridley is wonderful when it comes to the narrative because he always shows instead of tells. His use of allegory, allusion, parallel structure etc... is deeply layered within the plot. Damon Lindelhoff definitely can be credited with some of the root ideas but nobody can sell them like Ridley Scott. And the IMAX 3D is the way to go. Beautiful.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By cosmo111687

This is Damon "Lost" Lindelof we're talking about here. Good luck getting any answers even if there are a hundred sequels.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MAZAHS117

Saw this in IMAX 3D on Saturday....I loved this movie. Ridley Scott has a triumphant return to sci-fi. For those who haven't seen it and are expecting HEAVY Alien or Xenomorph footage/connection, don't get all bent outta shape cause your not going to get that...This movie touches on Alien and has some connection, but really stands on its own...It's a great hard/intense sci-fi feature we haven't had in a long time with an incredible cast, stunning visuals and it WILL leave you with questions..but that's not always a bad thing in this movies case, when or IF this story continues at some point.

progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By progenitorigin

At first, with k4tzm4n's review, I was second guessing seeing this movie due to the 3rd act, but this review has renewed my interest a great deal, i'll probably end up seeing it in the theater. Thank you for the great review, Erik.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Erik
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@progenitor said:

At first, with k4tzm4n's review, I was second guessing seeing this movie due to the 3rd act, but this review has renewed my interest a great deal, i'll probably end up seeing it in the theater. Thank you for the great review, Erik.

Why? I gave it a B+ and said a handful of times that it's worth seeing. My problems aren't limited to the 3rd act.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#45  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I thought the film was really great but I also really liked Predators and nobody seemed to like it so I may not have a reliably opinion 

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@spiderbat87 said:

I thought the film was really great but I also really liked Predators and nobody seemed to like it so I may not have a reliably opinion

Since when did no one like Predators? I love it and it has a 64% on RT.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ReVamp

@k4tzm4n said:

RT: The only place where you can get 64% and brag about it.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48  Edited By InnerVenom123

Predators was okay.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@cyberninja said:

This movie is probably the best movie I have seen in a long time. Two thumbs up.

Same here.

Big year for Sci-Fi. The new Total Recall adaptation looks amazing as well.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#50  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@k4tzm4n said:

@spiderbat87 said:

I thought the film was really great but I also really liked Predators and nobody seemed to like it so I may not have a reliably opinion

Really? I was under the impression that hardcore Predator fans hated it for some reason 

@inferiorego said:

@cyberninja said:

Same here.

Big year for Sci-Fi. The new Total Recall adaptation looks amazing as well.

Now that's a film I am NOT looking forward to