Pro-wrestling discussion thread

#9551 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

@neghead: I definitely hope so! The tv deal is a huge accomplishment for them. I’m super excited to see new talent and the existing talent they’ve already signed. I’m a big fan of Jimmy Havoc too.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#9552 Posted by IndomitableRegal (17662 posts) - - Show Bio

Cody vs Dustin was great. Didn't watch all of Double or Nothing, but I had to see that match. The promo after was great, too.

#9553 Posted by Outcry (24 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

AEWDoN was brilliant! I saw a man with no legs "619" another bloke, saw wrestlers of some renown and indie talents put on equally memorable matches, and then? Then Moxley. Everyone was expecting it, but it was still remarkable to watch.

#9554 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

Hahhaha Sami Zayn namedropping AEW...

Avatar image for eternaldarkfury
#9555 Posted by EternalDarkFury (3428 posts) - - Show Bio

Brock Lesnar needs to leave already.

#9556 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

Great Takeover (as usual).

#9557 Edited by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

@jake_fury: Take it with a grain of salt but did you hear the rumor Vince might take a step away from the company to concentrate on football in a couple years? Then again that might not happen if AEW gives them too much trouble.

#9558 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: I did, if it improves the current product on the main roster then let him stay away for a long time

#9559 Posted by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

What the hell is WWE doing? They have this huge roster yet you only see a few of them. Now with this wild card rule making the "brand split? meaningless it's even worse. It's an even smaller amount of people doing double duty for both.

Where is everyone else? Only time I see anyone different is when I see them making themselves look like fools chasing the 24/7 belt.

#9560 Posted by just_sayin (3888 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

What the hell is WWE doing? They have this huge roster yet you only see a few of them. Now with this wild card rule making the "brand split? meaningless it's even worse. It's an even smaller amount of people doing double duty for both.

Where is everyone else? Only time I see anyone different is when I see them making themselves look like fools chasing the 24/7 belt.

In part it is to make the TV companies happy. Roman Reigns was moved to Smackdown which will move to FOX in the fall, but USA wanted Roman Reigns on their programming also. FOX expects a certain level of ratings, which WWE interprets as having the big names on. So, yeah, it does mean that several lesser stars will have a hard time getting TV time. I for one think that after Shane McMahon beats Kofi for the title they should have Lesner cash in his Money in the Bank opportunity and permanently end Shane's wrestling career and take the belt and then immediately lose the title to Finn Balor, if for no other reason than it will open up spots for other wrestlers with Shane off of TV.

#9561 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

Current WWE product is just plain SAD.

Pumped for some of the NXT spoilers I read.

#9562 Posted by the_stegman (40417 posts) - - Show Bio

Can Shane please go away?

#9563 Edited by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Don't expect him to go anywhere soon. From what I understand the only actual position he holds with the company is talent.

#9564 Posted by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

Watching OLD Roddy Piper promo's. Some Rick Flair also. damn the energy and character they put into every one. I don't see that in todays wrestlers.

#9565 Posted by God_Spawn (43556 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: It’s very few that do that. Being super scripted doesn’t help, along with most having the same non-gimmick characters.

#9566 Posted by King Saturn (223209 posts) - - Show Bio

Undertaker vs Goldberg was a Disaster of a Match at Super Showdown.

#9567 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

Hyped for AEW Fyterfest!

#9568 Posted by cattlebattle (17986 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

Watching OLD Roddy Piper promo's. Some Rick Flair also. damn the energy and character they put into every one. I don't see that in todays wrestlers.

Well in fairness, those older guys were on a tight mix of cocaine, steroids and alcohol.

#9569 Edited by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:
@dernman said:

Well in fairness, those older guys were on a tight mix of cocaine, steroids and alcohol.

So you're saying today's wrestlers are lazy and just don't want to go that extra mile. -__^

#9570 Posted by King Saturn (223209 posts) - - Show Bio

Be nice to see Bray Wyatt back with In Ring Action. His promos have been Awesome though.

#9571 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

2019 and my favorite wrestler has legit been Teddy Hart. Never thought I’d be saying that.

#9572 Posted by King Saturn (223209 posts) - - Show Bio

Stone Cold Steve Austin had such an amazing run from 1996 - 1998. Some of the Best Promo Work Ever.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#9573 Posted by IndomitableRegal (17662 posts) - - Show Bio

The hidden Firefly Funhouse puppets have been great. Actually had me paying attention to backstage stuff. Can't wait for Bray's return.

#9574 Posted by the_stegman (40417 posts) - - Show Bio

New bosses in charge.

No Caption Provided

#9575 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Hope it improves the overall product. They need something badly.

#9576 Posted by the_stegman (40417 posts) - - Show Bio

@jake_fury: ain't that the truth. It's painful to watch.

#9577 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

FyterFest was another solid show from AEW.

#9578 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

With WWE sucking so bad currently it’s a great time to check out ROH, MLW and NJPW.

#9579 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

And AEW ??

#9580 Posted by King Saturn (223209 posts) - - Show Bio

Anybody remember when that Giant Mummy was attacking Hollywood Hogan in WCW ? I think they called him The Yeti or something like that. Probably one of the funniest things I remember from Wrestling as a Child. It was like Hugging Hogan from the Back.

#9581 Posted by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio
#9582 Posted by King Saturn (223209 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@king_saturn: Ron Reis

Thanks, I looked him up. That guy was Huge... I thought I remember him being the size of Big Show.

#9583 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5389 posts) - - Show Bio

@jake_fury: has ROH stopped essentially riding NJPW’s nuts? Cause until then, I’d have to say they’re easily worse than the E right now, and that’s an accomplishment

#9584 Posted by just_sayin (3888 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else disappointed that WWE put the belt back on Lesnar so quickly?

#9585 Posted by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

@just_sayin: Not that many. Only mostly everyone hates it.

#9586 Edited by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

@mike_fowler: they finally took the tag belts off the Guerillas of Destiny. I’d put them solidly behind WWE and MLW right now

#9587 Posted by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope I don't ever have to see Seth/Becky again. They make a terrible on screen couple.

#9588 Posted by King Saturn (223209 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully the WWE don't waste Bray Wyatt's run this time...

The Demon vs The Fiend seems like an Interesting Matchup

#9589 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope Cedric Alexander gets some actual shine after the last Raw.

Isaiah Scott (Shane Strickland) has a great debut on 205 Live.

#9590 Edited by God_Spawn (43556 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this might have been one of the most underwhelming Takeovers I’ve seen. I’ll admit, I haven’t kept up in awhile I’m NXT, but I never do and I’m usually impressed and like the show.

Street Profits, I like their backstage segments a lot more than their ring work. Dawkins just seems slow and sloppy. Montez is incredibly athletic, but hides behind some lackluster wrestling skills with flips and theatrics. His storytelling and some of his spots and ring psychology just doesn’t do it. It was probably the most bored I’ve been watching an Undisputed Era match. Their ability couldn’t save it for me. Crime Time 2.0

Io Shirai and Candice was the second best match of the night. Shirai is incredible, her ability to flip her character was done so well and Candice is such a great underdog.

Flipped through Matt Riddle and Dain beating each other up. Riddle is overrated, IMO, and I don’t get the hype aside from “MMA, bro.”

Pete Dunne vs Dream vs Strong was great. All 3 are great and Dream and Dunne hopefully have bright futures ahead of them. Strong is just all around fantastic. Good psychology, good spots, good match.

Mia Yim vs Baszler: Decent match. I’m not sure about Yim yet. I want to like her, they had some good spots on her end, decent ring psychology on her part, but it felt lacking. They kept building her up as this “street rules” type character, and she used the stairs in a good spot. But aside from that, she didn’t really push anything aside from the avalanche code blue. She’s good, but could’ve been crisper. Baszler is great. Her ability to sell and tell a story while bringing her character in is actually really underrated IMO. She’s a perfect heel champ. I want to like Yim, so I’ll keep in mind. It wasn’t a bad match, just solid.

Gargano vs Cole was as good as I hoped it would be. Great finish to the show.

#9591 Posted by ninetoadclown (171 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn:

Partially agree with that, don’t squander Wyatt this time but don’t waste him on a charismaless midcarder like Balor

#9592 Posted by King Saturn (223209 posts) - - Show Bio

Summerslam has been Okay at best so far.

Bray Wyatt aka The Fiend vs Finn Balor was Good as Bray's comeback to the Ring has been an Interest of Mine. That New Lantern he has of Bray Wyatt's Head is Something Special. The Match overall was Okay. Please don't waste Bray Wyatt WWE.

Goldberg vs Dolph Ziggler was Awful. Ziggler got Squashed as I Suspected but it just seemed Pointless. Then Ziggler beckoning for Goldberg to come back to the Ring for more just made it more stupid. I was hoping someone would help Ziggler and jump Goldberg when he came back to the Ring after squashing Ziggler with the Spear and Jackhammer for the win.

Seth Rollins beating Brock Lesnar for the WWE Universal Title was Okay. I mean I rather have Rollins with the Belt than the Beast. Decent Match I guess.

Becky Lynch vs Natalya was Okay. I mean it seemed Predictable to me what was coming.

Kofi Kingston vs Randy Orton I had little interest in.

Charlotte Flair vs Trish Stratus I did not care to see.

AJ Styles beat Some Dude in Black and Blue attire for the US Title. That match was Pretty Good though.

#9593 Posted by God_Spawn (43556 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the card looked dull, but I thoroughly enjoyed Summer Slam.

Becky vs Nattie felt a little slow at first but turned into a good match. Good way to kick off the main show.

Goldberg was one of my favorites growing and is still such a nostalgia bomb for me, but the segment just felt meh. Ziggler calling him a dipshit was hilarious. It went as expected.!

Styles vs Ricochet- Was alright. I hate Ricochet. I think he is everything wrong in the Indy circuit of wrestling. All flash, no substance. He can do flips and moves but sucks at everything else. Everything was crisp but Ricochet can’t tell a story to save his life. The match kind of just trudged in before the ending. And Ricochet looked absolutely moronic in the Nightwing suit.

Ember vs Bayley: This was actually one of the few matches I was looking forward too. I absolutely love Ember and Bayley, and both are so good at what they do. Match of the night for me.

Kofi vs Orton was solid. Good match, but the ending was a bummer.

Trish vs Flair: A big surprise for me. I was wondering how Trish was gonna do, and she botched a few spots, but definitely carried her own weight against Charlotte, who is just amazing herself. Good match.

Fiend vs Balor: As expected. Balor got his shots in but Bray crushed him. I loved everything about the Fiend. The new Bray head lantern and music and theatrics were all fantastic. Wwe has always had a gem with Bray, but always screwed him over and yet he managed to always drag himself back up. They got something even more special with him right here.

Brock vs Rollins. I was impressed with this match, aside from both guys just recycling move after move, so many frog splashes, superkicks, stomps and of course Germans, but the story told was great and I’m happy Rollins got the belt back.

#9594 Posted by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

• Natalia vs Lynch = Pure wrestling match.
  • Trish vs Flair = An actual match, not a nostalgia show
  • Bailey vs Ember Moon = don't care, thank you for fast forward
  • Ziggler vs Goldberg = Ziggler sinks to new lows of looking stupid

The Fiend carrying Bray Wyatt's head turned into a lamp. lol Please WWE don't screw this up. He needs a long winning streak. Make him the next Undertaker like they should have done with Wyatt character.

The Fiend should stick with the Claw because Sister Abigail is too much Bray Wyatt.

--------------------------------------------

I guess it's good Brock lost the belt but I struggle to care about face Rollins.

#9595 Posted by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

Becky vs Nattie felt a little slow at first but turned into a good match. Good way to kick off the main show.

Agreed. Lots of actual wrestling work which I don't see much these days.

Goldberg was one of my favorites growing and is still such a nostalgia bomb for me, but the segment just felt meh. Ziggler calling him a dipshit was hilarious. It went as expected.!

ya Zigglers getting on my nerves though. I'm the greatest. Loses every match.

Styles vs Ricochet- Was alright. I hate Ricochet. I think he is everything wrong in the Indy circuit of wrestling. All flash, no substance. He can do flips and moves but sucks at everything else. Everything was crisp but Ricochet can’t tell a story to save his life. The match kind of just trudged in before the ending. And Ricochet looked absolutely moronic in the Nightwing suit.

Couldn't agree more about your Ricochet comments. I have to fast forward through his matches. I don't know what he was thinking about with that outfit.

Trish vs Flair: A big surprise for me. I was wondering how Trish was gonna do, and she botched a few spots, but definitely carried her own weight against Charlotte, who is just amazing herself. Good match.

Ya I was expecting a nostalgia act but didn't get that here. It was legit. Hope this squashes some talk that she was only good in comparison because the era she was in was filled with models.

Fiend vs Balor: As expected. Balor got his shots in but Bray crushed him. I loved everything about the Fiend. The new Bray head lantern and music and theatrics were all fantastic. Wwe has always had a gem with Bray, but always screwed him over and yet he managed to always drag himself back up. They got something even more special with him right here.

Again agreed.

Brock vs Rollins. I was impressed with this match, aside from both guys just recycling move after move, so many frog splashes, superkicks, stomps and of course Germans, but the story told was great and I’m happy Rollins got the belt back.

Couldn't care less to be honest. I'm tired of them both. Rollins need to be a heal again preferably part of a non fodder stable. Brock needs to stay away.

-----------------------------------------

P.S. Please don't wrestle anymore Shane.

#9596 Posted by God_Spawn (43556 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: I think this might have been Rollin’s best outing since his AJ Styles match, tbh. I can agree he hasn’t been everyone’s favorite this year, which sucks with him because he is a hell of a talent when he wants to be. But I understand your sentiment. Regardless, we need a constant champ on Raw. Him vs Brock was a lesser of 2 evils.

And I’m a big Ziggler fan. Very underutilized talent, IMO.

And very much agreed with Shane. That guy has probably won more of his feuds this year than some of the top guys.

#9597 Posted by Pharoh_Atem (44372 posts) - - Show Bio

Can they give this Brock Lesnar being a champion a break, now? You can still give him big time matches, but I hope his monopolization of the championship ended with Seth Rollins curbstomp.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
#9598 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (4726 posts) - - Show Bio

Rollins beating Lesnar is boring and inconsistent, Lesnar should’ve slaughtered Rollins and then dropped the belt to Strowman, Orton or Lashley.

Personally not a fan of Rollins so I don’t particularly want him as a face champion, he’s much better utilized as a heel.

#9599 Posted by fatalsniper728 (1215 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so tired of Brock Lesnar.

#9600 Posted by Straight-Fire (27512 posts) - - Show Bio

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: I can see Strowman, but Orton and Lashley? Hell no.

Randy touched his hands on enough titles and is kinda stale at this point, and Lashley...well everything about him is boring. I don't think he's championship-caliber.