Pro-wrestling discussion thread

#9501 Posted by just_sayin (3888 posts) - - Show Bio

Koffi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Guy deserves to win on the biggest stage of them all. He's definitely earned it.

#9502 Posted by God_Spawn (43573 posts) - - Show Bio

Mania was fantastic this year. The right people won and a lot of good matches. Almost night and day difference from last year.

#9503 Posted by the_stegman (40419 posts) - - Show Bio

History making

No Caption Provided

#9504 Posted by Supermanthor (22700 posts) - - Show Bio
#9505 Posted by King Saturn (223226 posts) - - Show Bio

Wrestlemania 35 was Really Good.

I was surprised as hell when they started the Show off with Brock Lesnar vs Seth Rollins and the finish was so satisfying. Thank God they got that Belt off of that Big Muscle Shrek Looking Idiot.

I did not care about AJ Styles vs Randy Orton so I barely watched it.

Same with the Tag Team Match with The Usos, The Bar and everybody else.

Shane McMahon vs The Miz was Fun. Usually someone is going flying off of the Top of something in a PPV Shane McMahon match. It happened again.

I did not watch the Women's Tag Match that much. I did see a moment where Sasha Banks almost died when Nia Jax was hovering over The Boss downed body from the Top Rope.

Now this was Match of the Night for me. I was so satisfied to see Kofi win the WWE Championship over Daniel Bryan. It was a well deserved win. Color and Race aside, Kingston has been working his Butt off with the WWE for years it's not to see him Shine at the Top.

Samoa Joe was wrestling somebody. I think it was one of those Masked WCW guys.

Slept through Reigns vs Mcintyre. We are what 3.5 - 4 hours into the Show now ?

Triple H beating Batista was okay. I mean it was nice to see Batista back but for whatever reason I could not get into this match. Half Sleep at this point. It looked like at some point though Hunter pulled a nose ring out of Batista with Tweezers ? Yikes !

The Kurt Angle match sort of pissed me off. I get putting over Corbin as a hell but does it have to be done at Wrestlemania against one of the Best Technical Wrestlers Ever ? Oh Well, Thanks for the Memories, Kurt.

Starting to get Numb again. Bobby Lashley is wrestling Sting ? The Boogeyman ? Oh, it's Finn Balor !

The Main Event was Nice, Becky Lynch deserves to be Women's Champion for both Raw and Smackdown. The Man is Hell of Over with the People. Ronda Rousey can go have her Family Now. In retrospect, Ronda Rousey has had one heck of a Career as an Athlete. MMA and Pro Wrestling.

I think at some point in between the later matches, John Cena came out with his Thuganomics gimmick. I was too numb to listen though. 5 Hours of Wrestling for a Show is a Lot even if it is the Biggest Wrestling Event.

#9506 Posted by God_Spawn (43573 posts) - - Show Bio
#9507 Posted by Supermanthor (22700 posts) - - Show Bio
#9508 Edited by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope Brock is gone for good. Really pleased with Kofi and Becky winning also.

Please retire anyway HHH I have no interest any longer.

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#9509 Edited by RedHood_JayTodd (1728 posts) - - Show Bio

I stopped watching wrestling many years ago, but it was nice to hear what Becky Lynch and Kofi Kingston were able to accomplish at WM 35. I'm happy for them. I'm also glad that Lesnar lost to Rollins. He doesn't deserve the title and his unbeatable gimmick got old a few years back.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cb50bbe83fe7
#9510 Posted by deactivated-5cb50bbe83fe7 (115 posts) - - Show Bio

So since Brock is heading back to the cage, should WWE keep Paul around ? Tons of guys could use him, like Baron Corbin. WWE likes the guy and I do too(just not as much) but he isn't the most excitable person ever. While I get the idea of making him an authority figure on TV to give him practice with the mic and interacting with people, it doesn't work. He's more of the silent bruiser, roll with that and get Paul to talk for him.

#9511 Posted by the_stegman (40419 posts) - - Show Bio
#9512 Posted by the_stegman (40419 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn: There's rumors that they're either ending or focusing less on brand splits with Becky now having both titles and maybe Kofi/Rollins getting their winner take all re match. Think there's any chance of it happening?

Avatar image for eternaldarkfury
#9513 Posted by EternalDarkFury (3428 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok can they please keep Brock Lesnar away from the WWE now? Dude is the worst champion of all time.

#9514 Posted by King Saturn (223226 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn: There's rumors that they're either ending or focusing less on brand splits with Becky now having both titles and maybe Kofi/Rollins getting their winner take all re match. Think there's any chance of it happening?

I hope not. I actually liked the fact that there are Two World Champions for each Brand.

#9515 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5393 posts) - - Show Bio
#9516 Edited by King Saturn (223226 posts) - - Show Bio

Did someone jump Bret Hart during his WWE Hall Of Fame Speech ?

#9517 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio
#9518 Posted by Dernman (26467 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn: If I remember correctly you asked about Luke Harper. He announced he just asked for his release from WWE.

#9519 Posted by King Saturn (223226 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@king_saturn: If I remember correctly you asked about Luke Harper. He announced he just asked for his release from WWE.

Well that sucks. Still no word on if Bray Wyatt is making his return outside of Dark Matches ?

#9520 Edited by Dernman (26467 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn said:
@dernman said:

Well that sucks. Still no word on if Bray Wyatt is making his return outside of Dark Matches ?

They've been running cryptic teases of Bray Wyatt for a few weeks now.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Also he's got a new hairstyle. A cross between his own and Braun Strowman with the way it's shaved on the sides.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2ig1plWoAgP2yH.jpg

-----

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2kJO13WwAAlPJ-.jpg

#9521 Posted by King Saturn (223226 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@king_saturn said:
@dernman said:

They've been running cryptic teases of Bray Wyatt for a few weeks now.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Also he's got a new hairstyle. A cross between his own and Braun Strowman with the way it's shaved on the sides.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2ig1plWoAgP2yH.jpg

-----

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2kJO13WwAAlPJ-.jpg

Interesting... well at least he is on the comeback.

#9522 Posted by BumpyBoo (14860 posts) - - Show Bio

3 years since Chyna left us. RIP ?

#9523 Posted by Dernman (26467 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn: Woah. The new Bray Wyatt. It's either going to be genius or an epic failure. It seems to hint at the insidious undertones though if you loved the Wyatt family this still must hurt.

Knowing WWE for the past few years this type of character is bound for jobberville.

Loading Video...

#9524 Posted by Cpt_Gearheart (190 posts) - - Show Bio

Steiner Brothers or Harlem Heat? Who's your preferred tag team?

#9525 Posted by TheVVitchKing (1397 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP chyna.

#9526 Posted by King Saturn (223226 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@king_saturn: Woah. The new Bray Wyatt. It's either going to be genius or an epic failure. It seems to hint at the insidious undertones though if you loved the Wyatt family this still must hurt.

Knowing WWE for the past few years this type of character is bound for jobberville.

Loading Video...

This new Bray Wyatt reminds me of that YouTube series "Don't Hug Me I'm Scared". I was hoping for the More Sinister Bray from the Past to come back. I don't know if there can be a Wyatt Family if he has a Firefly Family now.

#9527 Posted by Dernman (26467 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn: One thing is for sure. Bo Dallas would actually fit better here than with the original Wyatt family. In fact for a second when Bray first opened the door I thought it was Bo.

#9528 Posted by Dernman (26467 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn: Some Luke harper news for you. It seems that WWE didn't grant his request for an out of his contract. Now he has to wait until the end of his contract which would have ended in November but WWE extended it another 6 months after that to make up for the time he was out. It's speculated that it's to keep him away from AEW where he's a good friend of the vice president of the company.

#9529 Posted by destinyman75 (15956 posts) - - Show Bio

WWE drops the ball yet Again in AUSKA. Now makes Brey a freaking JOKE AMD jobber what's next....I'm sick of WWE trashing everything

#9530 Posted by Dernman (26467 posts) - - Show Bio

@destinyman75: I don't mind that Auska is in a tag team but I do have a problem with it being Kairi Sane. There is no meshing with them. The only reason they're tagging together is because of their nationality and trouble speaking English. I'm assuming that with Sane.

That goes for Paige also. The reason she's there is because she can talk which the team needs and they want to give her something to do. Problem is she doesn't mesh well with them either.

Personally I think they should have set her up with Absolution again. Give them a push.

#9531 Edited by destinyman75 (15956 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Suppose so. I mean I guess she's still least doing something. But she should go and take her belt back at some point...And yes if Paige betrays AUSKA and gets absolution back that would be a good thing

#9532 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved the new Bray Wyatt skit. Wrestling needs more zany characters IMO.

Looking forward to the KO/Kofi feud too.

#9533 Posted by Cpt_Gearheart (190 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't heard anything bad surrounding Luke leaving, seems like he knew the writing was on the wall and to be fair, he's not ME caliber and he's achieved everything he could a few times over, so it's time to move on. Now the Revival I know are fed up with things and are leaving when their contract expires in 2020 and then they go to AEW and fight the Young Jabronies for awhile then to Impact and then back to WWE like how everyone does. Bray's new gimmick interests me. It's seems inspired by the disturbing YT kids shows. But the only problem he faces is what old Bray faced. Scary Heels mean jack if the don't win.

#9534 Posted by Dernman (26467 posts) - - Show Bio

@cpt_gearheart: "ME caliber"?

-----------------

It's not just scary heels not winning that was the problem. It's they don't like playing out the storied driven characters in general these days.

They half ass it. Look how they treated the Woken Verse. They ditched any relevancy the Demon had once he can to the main roster. The Ascension was emidiatly relegated to jobber status and Anarchy never even got a start on the main roster.

I dare say if Undertaker had debuted today, I'm not sure he would have gotten of the ground or been as invested in as he was.

#9535 Posted by Cpt_Gearheart (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Main Event, just short hand. I agree, with a 3+ hour shows and all these writers, they can pull it off. But to play devil's advocate they got to appeal to the fans that don't want characters like that anymore, looking for more a serious, realistic product, akin to UFC. And, looking at what's popular in other entertainment, Superheroes and everything. Some people also want larger than life people and stories. They have the job of finding the balance between both worlds.

#9536 Edited by The_Centurion1 (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't condone anything Lars Sulliva said at all, but it seems like he has some issues mentally and he's projecting. It doesn't wholly excuse him but, I think we should at least try to understand both sides, that's how we solve problems right? It get peoples reluctance or refusal, but stuff like this won't go away. No, it doesn't paint the character in a bad light because he's attacked wrestlers of color, because he's attack white ones too. There is a clear distinction between man and character, that's should be obvious to any, even if they don't watch wrestling, the ding dong who's article I read needs to figure that out.

As for the Lio Rush thing. I have to say I'm on his side, I don't think wrestlers need to carry each other bags to pay dues anymore.I don't agree with the alleged racial undertones, seeing how they have always done this with everyone.

#9537 Posted by King Saturn (223226 posts) - - Show Bio

That last Bray Wyatt skit was Pure Gold...

#9538 Posted by Cpt_Gearheart (190 posts) - - Show Bio

AEW on TNT. I wish for the best, I'm certain it'll go well for awhile. I just hope they don't feel pressure to "beat" WWE and make the same missteps of TNA. Just stick to their guns and let WWE beat itself, they don't need any help there.

#9539 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

MITB Spoilers:

Becky beats Lacey Evans...wtf was that ending? Lacey looked ok but that ending was terrible.

Charlotte beats Becky: Ok I expected Becky to lose one of the titles but wish it wasn't to same old, same old Charlotte.

BUT::::::: Bayley cashes in and wins. Huge pop for that moment and good for her. She legitimately seems like one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Styles/AJ: Great match even though I thought AJ had no chance of winning the belt in Seth's first major defense.

Roman/Elias: WTF did Elias do? hes not a great wrestler by any means but his heel work is great. He seems to be getting the "HAHA you think we're going to push you push" but NOPE.

KO/Kofi: Yeah I didnt think Kofi had any chance of losing the belt and this match showed it. Kofi coming to the ring tossing out pancakes after what Owens has done to him is ridiculously stupid.

MITB Match: Good match, didn't expect BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROCK Lesnar to show up. Nice of everyone to bust their ass for 30 minutes so Brock can show up for 30 seconds and collect a big fat paycheck. Seriously this company's current creative direction is a sick joke and insulting to fans and the talent.

#9540 Posted by just_sayin (3888 posts) - - Show Bio

AEW on TNT. I wish for the best, I'm certain it'll go well for awhile. I just hope they don't feel pressure to "beat" WWE and make the same missteps of TNA. Just stick to their guns and let WWE beat itself, they don't need any help there.

This is awesome news! WWE was best when it had real competition. AEW has a lot of talent and I hope they will succeed.

#9541 Edited by dshipp17 (5804 posts) - - Show Bio

Ashley Massaro left some interesting behind the scenes information during her visit to the Middle East. From this story, Ashley had a tragic end in her endeavor to be a women's division wrestler. When thinking of the Diva Search I mostly remember the likes of Christy Hemme and Eve Torres; I wonder if they experienced the same abrupt and unsafe introduction to the professional wrestling business; I only saw Ashley a couple of times, but she had some key wrestling victories at toward her last days with the WWE.

#9542 Posted by kgb725 (20004 posts) - - Show Bio

Thoughts about AEW ?

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
#9543 Posted by deactivated-5cecb3b554104 (1277 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

Kids, lemme tell you, AEW's Double or Nothing made me love professional wrestling again. I cannot remember the last time I watched a PPV and didn't have a single thing to complain about. Some highlights:

-The completely un-spoiled return of Awesome Kong to a ring.
-Evil Uno may have just outdone Bray Wyatt!
-Brett "The Hitman" Hart and Jack Whitehall (Bad Education, Fresh Meat) help intro the new AEW title. [Good news: it's not green.]
-Cody Rhodes does an excellent Drogon impression in a not-so-implicit shot against the WWE's Triple H.
-A heartrending, visceral match between Cody and Dustin Rhodes.
-Chris Jericho wrestles with an intensity fans haven't seen from him in over a decade.
-Ambrose/Moxley returns to the ring.

It was so much fun to watch. I'm excited to see what this company does next.

#9544 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio
#9545 Posted by God_Spawn (43573 posts) - - Show Bio

It was awesome seeing someone I started training with make their televised debut. Congrats Kylie. I’ve seen some clips, but I have jaw dropped from the little I’ve seen and may have sparked a fire under my ass for it. I’m going to fully check the rest later today.

#9546 Posted by Supermanthor (22700 posts) - - Show Bio

Well WWE it's time to take things seriously

#9547 Posted by Straight-Fire (27515 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really. AEW has a long way to go.

#9548 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

I hardly think they’re ready to challenge WWE in any way, shape or form but maybe down the road. PPV looked big time from a quality presentation standpoint and had some good surprises throughout.

#9549 Edited by Dernman (26467 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the match with Rhodes shows you that WWE really puts a hamper on their abilities in the ring. I can't remember the last time Dustin looked that good. It also shows you that fans still ok/want for attitude era aspects like bleeding, nudity male/female, flipping people off and other things.

Edit: Haven't finished the match yet. Seems predictable that Cody will win. I hope not because that reason alone.

Edit2: lol literally just after posting the last edit Cody wins.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cecb3b554104
#9550 Posted by deactivated-5cecb3b554104 (1277 posts) - - Show Bio

@jake_fury: AEW will certainly be a larger threat this fall when they have a television presence and Smackdown moves to Fox. I hope for a future Moxley/Jimmy Havoc rivalry and would L-O-V-E to see an American Awesome Kong vs. Aja Kong match. I also like the notion that this company isn't just self-promoting, but a launch pad for professional wrestling fans to see indie talent in other countries/companies, as well.