Pro-wrestling discussion thread

#9451 Posted by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don’t get all the hate for the guy.

He get blamed for his booking. It doesn't help that he was moved up to the front before he honed his mic skills. He's gotten somewhat better but those early days were rough. Not to mention CM Punk's comments back when he was the height of his popularity.

#9452 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: Yeah I think a lot of guys get pushed too early like RR. During the early days of the Shield when they’d cut trios promos were a decent start for the group but I think RR is the worst promo wise by far.

#9453 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

Matt Riddle is winning me over. Dude is a beast.

Can’t wait to see Shane Strickland in NXT

#9454 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5390 posts) - - Show Bio

@jake_fury: I feel like it also doesnt help that the guy has mainevented the past 4 wrestlemanias

#9455 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio
#9456 Posted by King Saturn (223216 posts) - - Show Bio

Has Bray Wyatt come back to the WWE yet ?

#9457 Edited by dshipp17 (5802 posts) - - Show Bio

Remembering King Kong Bundy who recently passed away; he was one of Hulk Hogan's biggest rivals during the Hulkamania period in the 1980s. As far as I'm aware, he really went low profile in recent years but was on YouTube a bit.

#9458 Posted by King Saturn (223216 posts) - - Show Bio

Batista vs Triple H at Wrestlemania 35... I wonder if Hunter will let Batista get over him on The Biggest Stage ?

#9459 Posted by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

What the hell WWE?!!! Look I know kayfabe has been limping along but what you're having Rhonda do is like taking a dump on the show.

#9460 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5390 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn: I honestly hope he doesn’t

A)the guy has lost the last 3 wrestlemanias (and also lost majority of the time he’s wrestled at Mania

B) he already put Batista over at WM21 in what was probably one of the best Road to Wrestlemanias ever

I think he deserves a W over Batista this time

#9461 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: WWE has done a great job of ruining the Women’s Title match at Mania with all of the BS and horrible buildup

#9462 Posted by SC (18222 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope Roman can stay healthy. I honestly don’t get all the hate for the guy.

Kevin Owens looked great in his return.

He basically suffered what Cena suffered from, but on an accelerated level. Where Cena was polarizing though, and could occasionally win back people with his mic skills, and lead to warring chants, Roman isn't as good on the microphone, and didn't really... well, Brock being his biggest nemesis for the past few years (alternating on and off with Strowman) hasn't really helped. Compare Cena, who got to play off CM Punk and The Rock, and people he could put on interesting matches with, and have interesting promos with. He would also be booked as anti authority but written in high profile... like we all know its staged, and scripted... but... it really stretches peoples suspension of disbelief... its like if Batman and Spider-man cut a promo about how DC and Marvel respectively didn't like them and didn't treat either as cash cows they want to be super popular...

Personally I like Reigns, though I do prefer chill bro Roman who cares more about friendship than title belts. Or Heel Roman, like the night after he beat Undertaker at Wrestlemania and was booed for 15 minutes straight and then said "This is my yard now" and then did a mic drop. I think he'd make an excellent Heel, subvert expectations. Make someone creepy and weird like Bray Wyatt a babyface to oppose him, have the Universal Title move around more often, give Brock Lesnar "Super Fights" 4 times a year, against a bunch of different wrestlers.

Anyway, I can get why people disliked him. I think "WWE" idea of having one huge superstar is a bit outdated... it seems like they want to have someone in that position, ala a Cena, ala a Stone Cold, a Hogan etc but I think it'd be better if they thought more in terms of... Justice League and Avengers. No single megastar, a bunch of viable contenders. Thats just me though.

Agree about Owens as well, I miss Sami Zayn though.

#9463 Edited by SC (18222 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn said:

Has Bray Wyatt come back to the WWE yet ?

Not yet, but he is heavily rumored to return soon. (He's done a few house shows)

#9464 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5390 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: now see, I don’t think having a face of the company is that bad, but you know the difference between Reigns and all those other ones? The other FotC still had other wrestlers that still got a shot at the main event.

Hogan had people like Warrior (as much as I hate him) and Savage.

Austin had people like Rock (who actually did take the top face position in 2000 when Austin was out with injury), Taker, HHH, Foley, etc.

Heck, even Cena still had people like Orton, Edge, Batista, Punk, etc.

Even New Japan still has a clear FoTC (Okada). What they need to do with reigns, if they’re still gonna push him as the face of the company, is to make sure that other people are also built to be at or around his level, otherwise, you get moments like now, where Reigns is out, and it’s hard to get someone to truly carry the show

#9465 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

@mike_fowler: I think it’s extremely difficult to build a new FOTC when your champ barely shows up.

#9466 Posted by SC (18222 posts) - - Show Bio

@mike_fowler: I don't think its bad either, I personally prefer a more competitive scene. Less focus on one individual. Like your examples (great examples by the way) suggest, even when there is a face of the company, the company is stronger with a fuller roster. Its hard to argue, because hypotheticals and what could have beens, but I think WWE could be more successful if it dropped the idea of a face a long time ago.

I also think the WWE fanbase is too splintered and diverse to really fully unite under one main megastar, like in the past. We also know way more than what fans in the past did as far as behind the scenes and wrestler personalities, there is social media, I think most fans are weary of the idea of backstage politics and the wrestlers themselves seem more chill and supportive of each other (as opposed to potentially sabotaging rivals to earn bigger paychecks etc) which is good!

Its not a big issue I have with WWE either mind you. I like how NJPW uses Okada, his reign or position as a figurehead didn't feel that oppressive/worn out for me, Tanahashi was sort of around, Kenny was around, Naito was on the rise. There are kind of equivalents in WWE, with Cena in the background, Rollins being a rising star, Orton around, Brock etc but I feel like Cena was FotC for way too long. Some lost opportunities with Nexus, and CM Punk, Bray Wyatt. I like Brock generally too, and his matches with smaller guys, but so many matches with Reigns and Braun... mind you, WWE does technically sort of give me want I want with NXT. Thats probably a simpler way of describing what I'd prefer. NXT doesn't really have a face, its constantly shifting. That has its own issues but yeah.

#9467 Posted by King Saturn (223216 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if we will ever see the return of The Shockmaster...

#9468 Posted by SC (18222 posts) - - Show Bio

He actually already has, on the Edge and Christian show. I can't find a clip of it.

Its too bad John Tenta passed away, would cool to see Typhoon & Earthquake show up on an Anniversary Raw special or Old School Raw special and beat up Health Slater/Curt Hawkins.

#9469 Posted by SC (18222 posts) - - Show Bio

I still sort of want to see Roman Reigns, team up with Samoa Joe and the Uso's for a Samoan Heel Stable. Thats one thing I wish WWE copied from NJPW more, and thats more stables and factions. Shield and Wyatts feud was made me watch WWE more regularly. Shield vs Evolution was great. Undisputed will probably do better on Main as a faction than as individuals.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#9470 Posted by IndomitableRegal (17673 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

I still sort of want to see Roman Reigns, team up with Samoa Joe and the Uso's for a Samoan Heel Stable. Thats one thing I wish WWE copied from NJPW more, and thats more stables and factions. Shield and Wyatts feud was made me watch WWE more regularly. Shield vs Evolution was great. Undisputed will probably do better on Main as a faction than as individuals.

Why not throw Nia in as the Chyna role? Lol. A Samoan heel stable would be great, but WWE hasn't treated Samoa Joe the way they should of (up until very recently of course). I'd hate to seem him join a stable and just be Roman's #2.

#9471 Posted by SC (18222 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

Why not throw Nia in as the Chyna role? Lol. A Samoan heel stable would be great, but WWE hasn't treated Samoa Joe the way they should of (up until very recently of course). I'd hate to seem him join a stable and just be Roman's #2.

Yeah that could work too. Actually, if WWE hadn't mismanaged Sanity, that would actually lead to a cool feud, since Insanity has a female member as well in Nikki Cross (who hasn't done well on Main either) can have Nia oppose Cross.

I agree about Samoa Joe, my thinking would be, ideally... Joe would take on the physical muscle and enforcer role... the same role Reigns use to have in the Shield. Reigns could be the cocky Heel leader and Joe would be the one who bails him out of danger and trouble, and hopefully... that would help get Joe over. People tend to like the muscle/enforcer role in stables. Eventually they would break up after some great feuds with other factions, and Joe can be a more credible Monster Heel who betrays the group who turns Face or something like that.

#9472 Posted by IndomitableRegal (17673 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:
@indomitableregal said:
@sc said:

Yeah that could work too. Actually, if WWE hadn't mismanaged Sanity, that would actually lead to a cool feud, since Insanity has a female member as well in Nikki Cross (who hasn't done well on Main either) can have Nia oppose Cross.

I agree about Samoa Joe, my thinking would be, ideally... Joe would take on the physical muscle and enforcer role... the same role Reigns use to have in the Shield. Reigns could be the cocky Heel leader and Joe would be the one who bails him out of danger and trouble, and hopefully... that would help get Joe over. People tend to like the muscle/enforcer role in stables. Eventually they would break up after some great feuds with other factions, and Joe can be a more credible Monster Heel who betrays the group who turns Face or something like that.

That would've been great. Just realized Samoa Joe and the Usos could carry most of the promos, too.

That could work, though I would only have Joe bail him out occasionally. In fact, I think I'd have it gradually turn to a game of one-upmanship -- Joe bails out Roman, Roman bails out Joe, and the it goes back and forth. Then have a sort of resentment building towards each other when the other would feel like they could've won without the interference. I think eventually I'd have the rest of them turn on Joe (cementing him as face in the process). They already have an easy enough excuse for the rest of them siding with Roman (i.e. they're family), but it would be smart to make it seem like the Usos (and possibly Nia if she really were added in) weren't sure who they were gonna side with.

...Where's Vince? Tell him I want a writing job lol.

#9473 Posted by SC (18222 posts) - - Show Bio

@indomitableregal: Nice! Factions are great, because you can usually get decent stories out of the break up. You don't need titles or championships, just pride and emotions. I really like what WWE has done with the Uso's, the last few years, really revitalized them. A Samoan faction vs New Day feud would be great too, I'd love to see Joe cut promos on the New Day.

My favorite Joe segment recently was when he dissed Hardy, Orton and AJ Styles on Smackdown a few weeks ago. They just need to also let him be a credible monster too.

#9474 Edited by King Saturn (223216 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:
@king_saturn said:

He actually already has, on the Edge and Christian show. I can't find a clip of it.

Its too bad John Tenta passed away, would cool to see Typhoon & Earthquake show up on an Anniversary Raw special or Old School Raw special and beat up Health Slater/Curt Hawkins.

Wow... Was he in Shockmaster gear for the Show ?

Indeed... Natural Disasters was a Nice Tag Team. I was more of a Road Warriors fan during that era though.

#9475 Posted by SC (18222 posts) - - Show Bio
#9476 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

Fastlane card actually looking pretty decent.

#9477 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

https://youtu.be/mUHavMpmhM0

Okada vs Ospreay holy baby Jesus what a match.

#9478 Posted by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc:

I like the Road Warriors also but Animal probably should stay away from Social Media for his own good. He keeps getting himself into trouble with the things he says.

I use to like Demolition when I was younger, before I found out about the Road Warriors. Not to mention when I did get older and realized what their outfits suggested......well I haven't been able look at them the same since. lol

#9479 Posted by SC (18222 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: I haven't heard that much about Animal on social media. Oh, actually I do remember a few weeks back, something about an exchange with Becky Lynch. I did hear about Lars Sullivan having a similar problem though. Something about getting banned from a message board after getting into a flame war, and also making sexual comments about Stephanie and fapping. Ha. I do hear he has also been having a tough time behind the scenes too, they were building him up a lot on Raw and SD and then he disappeared.

Yeah, thats not that dissimilar to my own experience as well. I was really young, so honestly, I pretty much just liked Demolition (and Road Warriors) because they wore face paint and wacky costumes. Then as I got older, I started to prefer Legion of Doom more and more. Giant spiky red vests > studded leather jackets, and I liked their theme song more. Then I got much older, and actually understood wrestling technique and skill, and more of the history of the WWE, learnt that Demolition were created pretty much as an imitation of Road Warriors plus yeah... the costumes, especially with the black leather masks do sort of seem a bit gimpy haha.

#9481 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

Fastlane really exceeded my expectations. Outside of the women’s matches everything else was good to really good especially the WWE title match and US title match.

#9482 Posted by King Saturn (223216 posts) - - Show Bio

I forgot how hilarious Scott Steiner is. Big Poppa Pump and his wonderful promos.

#9483 Posted by Mike_Fowler (5390 posts) - - Show Bio

I can’t lie, this episode of smackdown was pretty entertaining. I’m glad that they’re truly getting behind Kofi, and I love the irony behind Bryan essentially becoming what he once hated.

#9484 Posted by IndomitableRegal (17673 posts) - - Show Bio

Some really good promos last night...

#9485 Posted by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

Just got 2k19 on the cheap for my ps4. My first 2k game.

#9486 Posted by SC (18222 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

Nice! I've always wanted to get one of those games. I heard the Create a Wrestler is really expansive and indepth and you can make some really weird and dumb creations.

#9487 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

WrestleMania this year has zero intrigue for me at least right now.

#9488 Posted by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio
@sc said:
@dernman said:

Nice! I've always wanted to get one of those games. I heard the Create a Wrestler is really expansive and indepth and you can make some really weird and dumb creations.

It is. You can create your move set wrestling style, wrestler look, , belt, entrance moves theme and music. You can even create a tag team or stable and do the same for them. You can get lost in there which is good and bad depending on how much you like that sort of thing. I had to take a couple breaks myself though I find it can be fin. I've spent more time customizing than playing so far.

You can upload or download others creation from the community also. I've seen everything from indi wrestlers, to comic superheros up there. I haven't seen anyone create it myself in the community but i did see the parts where I know someone could create Donald Trump if they ever and the urge to slam the president. lol

#9489 Posted by SC (18222 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman: That sounds pretty awesome. I've seen a few videos of people creating characters, and saw you can increase how sweaty and oily the wrestlers are, customize logos and text, and put it everywhere. Sounds like it puts some RPG create a character modes to shame.

Haha yeah, I imagine when/if I buy a WWE 2K game, I'll probably spend a lot of time creating wrestlers.

#9490 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

https://youtu.be/_ovm-ScLuUQ

#9491 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

WCW SuperBrawl 1992

#9492 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

Wrestling still boring.

#9493 Posted by jake_fury (330 posts) - - Show Bio

NXT Takeover 2019

One of the best shows of all time.

The end.

#9494 Posted by King Saturn (223216 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder how much longer Ronda Rousey will stick around with the WWE after Wrestlemania 35 ?

Where the Heck is Bray Wyatt ?

Is Samoa Joe a Champion of any sort at this time ?

#9495 Posted by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder how much longer Ronda Rousey will stick around with the WWE after Wrestlemania 35 ?

Rumors says she was going to leave so she can have a baby with her husband but when asked about her leaving she made a reference to leaving to focus on her Jazz music. Making is sound like the rumors of her leaving were ridiculous.

Bray did a few dark shows not long ago. He was recuperating from damage done because of a car accident. He's been teasing things on twitter for awhile now but deleted it all like WWE decided to go in another direction. Not surprised considering they've lost interest in him since they ran his character into the ground and killed it with the Wokan thing.

I don't think so.

#9496 Posted by King Saturn (223216 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@king_saturn said:

Rumors says she was going to leave so she can have a baby with her husband but when asked about her leaving she made a reference to leaving to focus on her Jazz music. Making is sound like the rumors of her leaving were ridiculous.

Bray did a few dark shows not long ago. He was recuperating from damage done because of a car accident. He's been teasing things on twitter for awhile now but deleted it all like WWE decided to go in another direction. Not surprised considering they've lost interest in him since they ran his character into the ground and killed it with the Wokan thing.

I don't think so.

I guess she can't be The Terminator of the WWE Women's Division forever anyways. They will probably have The Man take her down.

I wish we could get Bray Wyatt back with The Wyatt Family again. I liked his Character a Lot back then.

Ugh... The Samoan Submission Machine still getting Overlooked.

#9497 Edited by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn: Wyatt Family back in the day was awesome. Rowan is currently with Daniel Bryan doing that whole obnoxious eco guy thing. The other one is still out injured. No talk of any return date any time soon.

Maybe it's time for a new Wyatt family had have his brother Bo Dallas join with a storied character change. Wonder who else can join.

#9498 Posted by Dernman (26462 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn: My mistake. After fast forwarding through Smackdown it look like Samoa Joe has the American Title.

#9499 Posted by King Saturn (223216 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:

@king_saturn: Wyatt Family back in the day was awesome. Rowan is currently with Daniel Bryan doing that whole obnoxious eco guy thing. The other one is still out injured. No talk of any return date any time soon.

Maybe it's time for a new Wyatt family had have his brother Bo Dallas join with a storied character change. Wonder who else can join.

I would not mine even Bray Wyatt, Braun Strowman and Bo Dallas as the New Wyatt Family. It seems like the WWE has fallen back on Strowman a bit.

@dernman said:

@king_saturn: My mistake. After fast forwarding through Smackdown it look like Samoa Joe has the American Title.

Well, at least it's something I guess. I feel like he should have been WWE Champion on Smackdown by now though.

#9500 Edited by dshipp17 (5802 posts) - - Show Bio

Seth Rollins and Shane pulled off the victories; but, looks like Rollins was suplexed so many times that his elbows were left bloody; the cheat for Seth, but get a victory whatever way possible, when Brock is involved, if you're not someone like Goldberg or Braun. But, I'm very busy now/today but I'll catch it later.