Orwell was right!!!

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

Microsoft is patenting technology to wirelessly monitor a worker's productivity.

Microsoft is developing a device capable of monitoring a range of physiological changes in workers, including heart rate, brain signals, facial expressions and respiration.

Intriguingly, the device also monitors galvanic skin response which is one of the measurements used by polygraph machines in lie detector tests.

Microsoft says that the goal of all this technology is to "automatically detect frustration or stress in the user" and "offer and provide assistance accordingly." The patent then goes on to describe what kind of assistance the system might be instructed to dole out.

"Assistance can be in the form of answering questions, providing guidance to the user as the user completes the activity, or completing the activity such as in the case of taking on an assigned activity."

Essentially then, to build a computer that ensures a worker is doing their job and let somebody know if they're doing it badly. The patent also describes a method of storing the collected information for later study and comparison.

Privacy advocates are predictably unimpressed.

"There could well be privacy and human rights issues surrounding a system like this," says Chris Boyle, head of employment law at Napthens solicitors.

"If an employee doesn't agree to the technology being used, and it is imposed on them, it could firstly be a breach of the terms of their employment contract. How likely would it be for an employee to agree in the first place?"

"If an employer wanted to discipline someone at work based on readings from a system like this, it could be argued the results could simply not be relied upon for such a purpose."

"Privacy is a top priority for Microsoft," the company responds. "Protecting privacy makes good business sense and we are committed to making sure our customers feel safe whenever they do business with us."

find the full patent here...

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220070300174%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20070300174&RS=DN/20070300174

sorry, but that is the most Orwellian thing I have seen since the Real ID act, i'm actually offended that people think that is a viable use for technology...

M

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Methos

second thoughts i should have titled this thread "Big Brother Returns", or something along those lines lol

M

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Ms. Invisible

Why would Microsoft want to develop this in the first place? I don't see any advantages to know the employees' facial expressions. If it's about work productivity, it could be the employer's fault for not knowing what the employee is capable of.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Methos

meh, dunno...

i was wandering through the patent files when i found it lol

it's microsoft, do they need a reason for a stupid thing like this?

M

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Ms. Invisible

You're right, Microsoft don't need a reason. grumble grumble

Microsoft: "MOAR MONNIES PLZ!"

Kiara_Sullivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Kiara_Sullivan

x_X THis is the most ridiculous thing I have heard. When I read 1984 my thoughts were this.

Blah blah blah BIG BROTHER Blah blah blah. Yeah right thats never happening....

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Methos

but it is happening lol

M

Kiara_Sullivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Kiara_Sullivan

I see that... I'm sickened by the step Microsoft is taking.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Methos

lol, microsoft sickens me on a daily basis, so this is nothing new lol

M

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By The_Ghostshell

The revolution will be televised.

Kiara_Sullivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kiara_Sullivan

I'll shoot myself before I partake in this new product they are developing.

Avatar image for cosmic_sentinel
Cosmic Sentinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Cosmic Sentinel

I think it shows how much our benevolent corporate overlords care about us. That they would go to the trouble to monitor us remotely during our day to day work to make sure we're being all we can be shows us their maternal, nurturing side.